It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• Percocet and Zopilcone-to take or not to take...

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-07-2005, 01:23 PM   #1
    Biyak123
    (female)

Biyak123 HB User
    Question Percocet and Zopilcone-to take or not to take...

I am into my withdrawl ( 2wks after last pill) from clorazepate/clonazepam.I have have a lot of neck discomfort and I have insomnia really bad. My Dr. has suggested Percocet for the neck.I am afraid because I was on it before and had trouble getting off it. He has also said to take Zopilcone 7.5 for insomnia. Does this cause one to become dependant on it? If so any ideas other than Zopilcone. I have taken half of the 7.5 for about two weeks. It does make me sleep and I really need sleep BUT I don't want to have to withdraw something again.(I can not take antihistamines.) Help

Last edited by Biyak123; 06-07-2005 at 02:43 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-07-2005, 04:08 PM   #2
    Suz123
    (female)

Suz123 HB User
    Smile Re: Percocet and Zopilcone-to take or not to take...

Hello Biyak,

I wasn't familiar with Zopiclone but I did look it up on the net. It is a short acting hynotic. It says it should only be taken for not longer than 4 weeks. Also, it said withdrawal symptoms do occur but very rarely.

If you have had dependency on narcotics before (if i were in your shoes) I would not take the percocet. I have switched addictions many times in the past. but question is, were you taking the clonazepam like you were suppose to or were you taking more of it to feel good? I think it is a personal decision. I would just hate for you to go through w/d's from one drug and get addicted to another drug.

When I have insomnia I use seroquel. it is a antipsychotic medication when used in high doses (800 mg) but i only take like 15mg (for sleep) and it knocks me on my butt. It's a shame you can't take antihistamines. I use Hydroxyzine. It helps with nausea, anxiety, & insomnia. umm...for the neck discomfort, try heating pad or relax in the bath. also try and move around & stretch. I have found that laying around makes me feel worse. if you have (prescription strength) naproxen 500mg same thing as (aleve over the counter) those work great for muscle aches. or just plain ole motrin 800mg or OTC ibuprofen.

I hope this helps some. Let me know how you are doing. Eventually all the w/d symptoms will go away and you WILL feel better.

~Suz~

Old 06-07-2005, 04:17 PM   #3
    keala10
    (female)

keala10 HB User
    Question Re: Percocet and Zopilcone-to take or not to take...

Hi Biyak, I am a mother of two sons 41 and 43, both were on percosets because of injuries they got on their jobs.....they became very addicted and lost their jobs because of it. Will be hard for them to get a job now. Please try and stay away from these harmful pain killers........could you take tylenol 1 for instance........they might not take the total of the pain away but might take enough away that you can function. Good luck to you.

Last edited by keala10; 06-07-2005 at 04:19 PM.

Old 06-07-2005, 09:59 PM   #4
    Biyak123
    (female)

Biyak123 HB User
    Re: Percocet and Zopilcone-to take or not to take...

Keala10 and Suz..Thank you so much for the response. I will not take Precocet. I am afraid of it. I am trying Extra strength Tylenol which also helps for my arthritis. You have helped me make the Percocet decision. I have taken The Zopiclone(half of a 7.5 works well). I am a little afraid of it because of the possibility of addiction. Does Seroquel work in the same way? Can one become dependant on Seroquel? I see my Dr. again next week and I will ask him about it.Have you heard of anyone having withdrawl after using it?The Drs don't always tell you about that or maybe they just don'y really know.I have had different things that were given to me by Drs and they never told me about problems stopping it.(Ex. Percocet,Fiorinal /Codiene)Any more info? Biyak

Old 06-08-2005, 03:54 AM   #5
    zandy
    Inactive

zandy HB User

I don't know the whole story about my niece (because she won't tell me all), but I do know that she ended up in the hospital 3x's with seizures due to seroquel. Be careful!

Old 06-08-2005, 12:37 PM   #6
    rosebuddy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB User

Yeah, stay away from the percs if at all possible. Hang in there, you're going to make it. Keep posting.

Old 06-10-2005, 11:41 AM   #7
    Jennita
    Inactive
    (female)

Jennita HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Biyak123
    I am into my withdrawl ( 2wks after last pill) from clorazepate/clonazepam.I have have a lot of neck discomfort and I have insomnia really bad. My Dr. has suggested Percocet for the neck.I am afraid because I was on it before and had trouble getting off it. He has also said to take Zopilcone 7.5 for insomnia. Does this cause one to become dependant on it? If so any ideas other than Zopilcone. I have taken half of the 7.5 for about two weeks. It does make me sleep and I really need sleep BUT I don't want to have to withdraw something again.(I can not take antihistamines.) Help
    The main symptoms of benzodiazepine(clonazepam) withdrawals are insomnia and anxiety. After withdrawal period, the brain still needs to recover and withdrawal symptoms may linger for a longer period of time. There is a free online manual called The Ashton Manual with a lot of info about benzodiazepines.

Here's the thing: no matter what you take for sleep (with the exception of antihistamines) the brain will become dependant. What is worse, the brain will, over time, try to fight the chemical (tolerance/downregulation) which leads to an imbalance of excitatory receptors and a worsening insomnia condition.

And all those sleep meds do have withdrawal syndromes and sometimes the brain has a difficult time regaining it's natural sleep patterns. It can, but it may take long. That's why taking meds for sleep is a dead end road, it actually worsens or causes insomnia conditions in the long run as the brain becomes less able to sleep naturally.

I've learned it is far better to allow the brain to sleep naturally, even when not the perfect sleep, natural is still the healthiest version of sleep to have...pill sleep is more like being under anesthetic, lacking proper amounts of sleep stages in proper form.

Check out the manual maybe you'll get some good info. Good luck.

Old 06-11-2005, 04:58 PM   #8
    Biyak123
    (female)

Biyak123 HB User

The main symptoms of benzodiazepine(clonazepam) withdrawals are insomnia and anxiety. After withdrawal period, the brain still needs to recover and withdrawal symptoms may linger for a longer period of time. There is a free online manual called The Ashton Manual with a lot of info about benzodiazepines.

Here's the thing: no matter what you take for sleep (with the exception of antihistamines) the brain will become dependant. What is worse, the brain will, over time, try to fight the chemical (tolerance/downregulation) which leads to an imbalance of excitatory receptors and a worsening insomnia condition.

And all those sleep meds do have withdrawal syndromes and sometimes the brain has a difficult time regaining it's natural sleep patterns. It can, but it may take long. That's why taking meds for sleep is a dead end road, it actually worsens or causes insomnia conditions in the long run as the brain becomes less able to sleep naturally.

I've learned it is far better to allow the brain to sleep naturally, even when not the perfect sleep, natural is still the healthiest version of sleep to have...pill sleep is more like being under anesthetic, lacking proper amounts of sleep stages in proper form.

Check out the manual maybe you'll get some good info. Good luck.

Last edited by Biyak123; 06-11-2005 at 05:03 PM.

Old 06-11-2005, 05:14 PM   #9
    Biyak123
    (female)

Biyak123 HB User

THANKS JENNITA..It will be tough to try to sleep with nothing. I have used the Zopiclone for about 2 weeks . It was really hard since I used to take the Clonazepam to sleep. I am just so unable to sleep. Actually half of a 7.5 zopiclone only kept me asleep for about two hours at the most. Sometimes i would doze a little again. HELP...I need some ideas to help ! How long can effects of the drugs stay in the system? My Dr. said they don't but I really don't think he knows. He has tried to get me to go back on Clonazepam or a drug similar to it.I havn't though I don't know how I will survive.....

Old 06-11-2005, 08:33 PM   #10
    Ellnyc
    (female)

Ellnyc HB User

You might also want to ask your doctor about Trazadone (desyrel) for sleep. In theraputic doses it is an antidepressant, but in low (not theraputic) doses 50-100mg. it is a great sleep aid. I have been taking 50-75 mg. at bedtime for several years and it still works great. I am also a recovering addict opiates, benzo's - you name it) and this has been approved by my addictionologist as well as other doctors who know my addiction history.
    Just a suggestion, when you see your doc.
    hth!
    El

Old 06-11-2005, 08:44 PM   #11
    Jennita
    Inactive
    (female)

Jennita HB User

Quote:
    THANKS JENNITA..It will be tough to try to sleep with nothing. I have used the Zopiclone for about 2 weeks . It was really hard since I used to take the Clonazepam to sleep. I am just so unable to sleep. Actually half of a 7.5 zopiclone only kept me asleep for about two hours at the most. Sometimes i would doze a little again. HELP...I need some ideas to help ! How long can effects of the drugs stay in the system? My Dr. said they don't but I really don't think he knows. He has tried to get me to go back on Clonazepam or a drug similar to it.I havn't though I don't know how I will survive.....

Well, I know what you are going through. I myself went through something simular. It might take awhile to get the brain sleeping naturallly again those benzos really screw with the sleep. It's hard to say how long, the usual I have heard is a few months or possibly 12-18 months.

Some people, a smaller percentage have protracted withdrawal syndrome(actually, drug is withdrawn/gone already but symptoms persist).

I think the more drug-free time you get under your belt, the more you will start to see subtle improvements/increases in sleep. It usually does not just snap back in a week. Meantime, try some chammomile tea(double bagged), milk, maybe a benedryl might help some nights. Benedryl is antihistamine so it won't cause more problems although it's very mild so sometimes it might not work. It is usually in OTC sleep aids or you can just buy it.

Double-bagging the chammomile tea in less water makes it stronger. However, the brain doesn't respond so well to most sleep helpers because it will still want a benzo for awhile but don't give up as some nights it finally does sleep.

One woman told me that the typical doc advice of getting up if you aren't sleeping and not napping during the day does not work well with benzo withdrawals because it's a brain, not body thing. The brain just needs to re-learn how to make sleep chemicals again. Sometimes even on a night you feel wide awake, suddenly the brain will do it and just go to sleep for awhile. Now, if a person is up doing things they might miss the chance.

So make sure you allow enough time in bed to get to sleep....even if you don't, the body will at least be at rest. An attempt at a nap after a bad night might pay off once in awhile as even 15-20 minutes will refresh.

Good diet helps as what we eat is converted into various neurotransmitters, including the ones that produce sleep.

It sucks how these drugs mess up the sleep system. But the brain does have the instinct and it will learn again if given time...

Old 06-12-2005, 10:37 PM   #12
    Biyak123
    (female)

Biyak123 HB User

Thanks Jennita! It really helps to know there is support that understands. I took a gravol last night because I felt Nauseated. That may of helped to make me feel a little less edgy. I didn't sleep very well but I didn't take any Zopilcone. Tonight will be the second night without anything. When I get to bed and try to relax I find myself only seconds later as tense as can be.This happens all night. Thanks for the reassurance that it will get better. Biya

Old 06-17-2005, 06:15 PM   #13
    Biyak123
    (female)

Biyak123 HB User

It has been 4 weeks since I have been off my Clonazapam. I did not take anything to sleep for the last 5 nights. I had taken half of a Zopiclone for a bout two weeks or so and was afraid I would not be able to stop THEM. It isn't easy but thank you for the help because I would have taken the Zopiclone indefinatly. I have a meditation CD ,have started walking and doing some gardening, also I started a regular bedtime and getting up time. (The getting up has been hard since I don't sleep much). BIYA

Last edited by Biyak123; 06-17-2005 at 06:17 PM.

Old 06-17-2005, 09:08 PM   #14
    Jennita
    Inactive
    (female)

Jennita HB User

Quote:
    It has been 4 weeks since I have been off my Clonazapam. I did not take anything to sleep for the last 5 nights. I had taken half of a Zopiclone for a bout two weeks or so and was afraid I would not be able to stop THEM. It isn't easy but thank you for the help because I would have taken the Zopiclone indefinatly. I have a meditation CD ,have started walking and doing some gardening, also I started a regular bedtime and getting up time. (The getting up has been hard since I don't sleep much). BIYA
    Well, I hope you get better in the sleep dept. I know what it is like and how frustrating it is. I got better, you can too. I don't use anything for sleep now.

Closed Thread