It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Could I be an alcoholic? I need opinions!

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-13-2005, 09:56 PM   #1
porcupine_tree
Inactive
(male)

porcupine_tree HB User
Could I be an alcoholic? I need opinions!

I'm 17, I know I'm not supposed to drink, but I have been almost every week since I'm 15, not counting the times when me my friends and I were 13-14 and stealing a beer from our parents. When I was 15 I severly overdosed on alot of alcohol and woke up clueless in a hospital, the doctor said I had ingested 3 times the legal amount or something like that and that I was lucky to be alive. I thought it would be over then, my drinking days but I mistaken. I did it again a couple months later and completely blacked out in my friends driveway, until I was dragged to the basement. It seems I need more and more to get drunk and I drink more often. I drink almost every day, even If it's not to get drunk. I go out with my friends almost every friday and most of the time I get so drunk that the next day I dont remmeber much. I think quite mentally unstable too. I feel hopeless and lethargic and apathetic, i hate people and am quite anti-social and find myself getting severely angry really easily. Often when I am really mad or sad the only thing that pops in my mind is finding a bottle and drinking to drown the pain. What do you guys think? Am I an alcoholic?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-14-2005, 05:38 AM   #2
TomsWife
Senior Veteran
(female)

TomsWife HB User
Re: Could I be an alcoholic? I need opinions!

Hi Tree,
I'm Marilyn and am an alcoholic. I cant answer your question but can only speak from MY experience.
The first time I drank, I got so intoxicated and I finally passed out. I probably should have been taken to the hospital. I was about 13. I also blacked out the first time. Should have taken that as a BIG warning sign. I have a long history of drinking and drugging to numb the pain. I have a son thats going to be 20 in a few months, so yes, I am a lot older than you.
My whole family is riddled with alcoholism and drug abuse. All of my sisters (3) and my brother. My mom is and adult child of an alcoholic (ACOA). My cousins, aunts and uncles as well. Not all of my family, but a good percentage.
What about your family? What pain are you trying to "cover up"? I am now is counceling to find out whats been eating at me my whole life. Why not try to attend a AA meeting ? (they have them for teens only). You may get your answers there.
I am sober today, just a few days shy of 2 months. I too drank everyday and wanted to drown away my sorrows. By drinking, I was only creating more bad vibes for myself. The embarrasment, acting like a complete jerk. The list goes on.

Keep posting, I'll check back.

Marilyn

Old 06-14-2005, 05:27 PM   #3
TheHappyMan
Veteran
(male)

TheHappyMan HB UserTheHappyMan HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by porcupine_tree
I'm 17, I know I'm not supposed to drink, but I have been almost every week since I'm 15, not counting the times when me my friends and I were 13-14 and stealing a beer from our parents. When I was 15 I severly overdosed on alot of alcohol and woke up clueless in a hospital, the doctor said I had ingested 3 times the legal amount or something like that and that I was lucky to be alive. I thought it would be over then, my drinking days but I mistaken. I did it again a couple months later and completely blacked out in my friends driveway, until I was dragged to the basement. It seems I need more and more to get drunk and I drink more often. I drink almost every day, even If it's not to get drunk. I go out with my friends almost every friday and most of the time I get so drunk that the next day I dont remmeber much. I think quite mentally unstable too. I feel hopeless and lethargic and apathetic, i hate people and am quite anti-social and find myself getting severely angry really easily. Often when I am really mad or sad the only thing that pops in my mind is finding a bottle and drinking to drown the pain. What do you guys think? Am I an alcoholic?
Hi porcupine_tree - Youre obviously concerned about "where youre at" right now or you wouldnt have made the post you did. Have you graduated High School ? Are you working ? Are you going off to college ? Do you have a vocational intrest ?

I'm a lot older than you so I know that the age you are at now is a "crtical time" in your development, emotionally and mentally. From your tone it dosent sound like you are too happy with the way things are going right now. So now is the worst time for you to be drinking a lot.

You seem to be drinking for all the wrong reasons. I only say this to help. You will get lots of advice along your path through life........ If you only knew how beautiful the future can be....... for you. My advice is to stay away from alcohol until you feel happy with yourself and the world around you. Find out where you want to go in life.......... If you cant do this on your own, find a support group. But I think you can do it yourself if you really want to. Just imagine how proud you will feel......

Sorry dude, dont mean to be getting on your case. I wish you the best.

Last edited by TheHappyMan; 06-14-2005 at 05:29 PM.

Old 06-15-2005, 06:38 AM   #4
Nervous Nellie

Nervous Nellie HB User

Hi Porcupine,

I'm so glad that you came to this forum! It shows that you are seeking help and recognize that you may have a serious problem...one that can and will destroy your life, if you let it. So far there's been some amazing words of wisdom from the others who have already posted to your thread, and I can't add much, except to share my son's experience with you.

My son started at about the age of 14 or 15, too. He didn't drink, he smoked pot. Most of his friends could do it say on weekends only, but he started to smoke up every single day. Like you, when he was really mad or sad, the first thing he thought of was a joint. This increased to the point where he couldn't face ANYTHING unpleasant without being "high". He's just turned 18 and is now heavily addicted to almost everything, short of heroin. I know he regrets his addiction and wishes he could recover, but he's in so deep now...well...he just doesn't know how.

He's lost his home, his education (barely grade 10), his health, his family, his self-respect, his hopes for the future and just about everything else one can think of. He's been to jail more times that I can count. He's felt and acted "insane" so many times, he's freaking himself out. The people he hangs out with are all in the same boat. He doesn't have ANY friends that aren't addicts, including girlfriends. His life is pure misery right now and he's terribly afraid of overdosing, although once he starts to get "high", he can't stop himself.

Alcohol or drugs, the end result is the same, I think. Once you do it to escape from 'real life', it's really, really tough to get back into it. Having "blackouts" and not remembering anything that was said or done must be a terrifying feeling. I know it sure terrifies my son.

I know it couldn't have been easy for you to share with us some of your strong feelings of sadness, apathy and becoming easily angered. You may have already discovered that those feelings are still lurking there like the "monster under the bed"...you can try to put that monster to sleep by drinking, but man when he wakes up...look out! LOL

I hope and pray that you will take the steps suggested by the others and really reach out for help and support. You sound like you could use a really good friend right now...someone you can talk to and who knows what you're going through. Someone you can trust 100% and who will encourage you NOT to drink when you're feeling low, but to talk and share your feelings instead.

Great big hugs to you and I wish you the very best...please keep us posted and come here to talk anytime you need. A lot of us are very concerned and pray that you don't go any further down that dark road.

Nell

Old 06-15-2005, 07:34 AM   #5
rosebuddy
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB User

Wow. You have begun a new life by asking this simple question which ofcourse can only be answered by you. If you are tired of living like this, there is help for you.

I agree with the other posts. Just know that you are not unique. 1 in 10 people who drink are alcoholics. If you want to know for sure if you are one, try to stop completely and if you crave it or drink anyway, then you are. Or try some controlled drinking, drinking without getting drunk. You probably can't do it.

There are young people in AA. You will feel at home. I look forward to meetings and doing stuff after meetings. It is fun. I always feel better after I go. Always. Its either that or rehab and rehab will send you to AA anyway.

I started getting drunk from the very beginning in high school and blacked out often. I am 44 and have been sober 11 years. (I was in and out of the program from age 23 - 28, got sober for 3 1/2 years and now sober for 11 years. I have finally learned how to live life on life's terms. To go with the flow instead of fighting life. And I don't have to party to enjoy life. And you will see that the DESIRE to drink will be lifted. What a freedom. You won't be fighting a craving!

You have so much to look forward to. You need to mature into an adult and you won't do this in a healthy way if you continue to drink. You are not alone. There are millions of us.

Stand back and look at your life objectively and give yourself advice like you are someone else. Or what you would tell your little brother or sister and then take that advice.

If you keep trying to stop on your own and you can't, go to AA. Just do it. You will be coming home.

Donna

Old 06-15-2005, 04:06 PM   #6
porcupine_tree
Inactive
(male)

porcupine_tree HB User

Thanks alot guys. I guess right now I realize that I have an addiction even though I think I can stop anytime I like. As for the friends thing..not so easy haha. They all drink on a weekly basis and encourage me to drink and never take me seriously when I say I want to stop. They just say like "oh shut up you're not going to stop." In my head I've told myself 100 times before that I would stop at least until the summer and the next week I'd have a slip and keep on drinking. I feel like stopping, or trying to at least, for 2 months or so, to see if I'll really crave it, then I'll know for sure, but thanks for all the support from you guys, much love to you all!

Old 06-20-2005, 07:54 AM   #7
campbell20
(male)

campbell20 HB User
Exclamation ALERT! View Immediately!

Well i can only speek for myself but i did not start drinking till i was 19 yrs old i am 36 yrs old now i was not much of a liquor drinker i was beer for me it started out with me just a few beers on the weekend then as i got amune to a few i would drink more and more well i have been in a rehab now for 10 Months as of the 21 of june i will say now that i am a ALOCHOLIC but i am getting better one day at a time if was not for the program

Closed Thread