It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Meds for surgery

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-19-2005, 08:17 PM   #1
crushme
(female)

crushme HB User
Meds for surgery

I am having surgery and I've never been in the hospital or anything like that so I dont know what to expect. I wouldnt consider myself an addict but I have been mixing some pills (xanax and hydro) with alcohol...just over the past few weeks...and I got a little wakeup call when I couldnt remember driving home. I have decided that I need to give drinking up for awhile and I don't take xanax very often but I needed to despite saying no drinking, no pills as of last wed to take one yesterday due to a panic attack. THe question is, when i get my gallbladder out I am sure they will give and then prescribe some pain pills. Suggestions?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-19-2005, 09:18 PM   #2
Nervous Nellie

Nervous Nellie HB User
Re: Meds for surgery

Hi Crushme!

You're not alone in your panic attacks. I started to have them while driving, after my son became a drug-addict, my father died, my body was injured, and I was in the midst of a horrible relationship with a man I had begun to date a year after my marriage ended. My job was highly stressful, I was a single parent of two teenage boys, and to say that I was stressed at that time would be the understatement of the year! LOL

My doctor prescribed Effexor XR for my anxiety, not Xanax, but I believe Effexor affects the seratonin levels in the brain (by artificially regulating it) and Xanax is a central nervous system depressant (CNS). I'm assuming that your prescriptions of Xanax and Hydro are due to the combined situation of your original anxiety plus the physical pain caused by your gallbladder. Adding alcohol, yet another CNS, could really mess around with your brain cells, I believe!

I wouldn't worry about being prescribed pain pills. You will more than likely need short-term acute pain control after your gallbladder is removed. As long as you tell your surgeon and attending PCP that you are already taking Xanax and Hydrocodone, they should take that into account when prescribing further pain meds.

I apologize in that I don't know your full history so if you are taking the previous meds for reasons other than they were prescribed, then disregard what I've just said! LOL If you don't add alcohol on top of what you're taking, and your doctors know about the current meds you are on, then you should be okay, right?

I wish you the very best with your upcoming surgery and a quick recovery. Please let us know how you make out!

Nell

Old 06-20-2005, 12:32 PM   #3
crushme
(female)

crushme HB User

The vicodins were not prescribed, I wasnt taking them for pain...and I am not currently prescribed xanax either...thats not to say that I couldnt get them prescribed if I needed because the panic attacks are real but I have a constant supply. I need to go see someone about regulating this with some other meds, xanax definitely does the job but i find myself wanting to take them just to take the edge off sometimes plus it obviously makes me too tired.

Old 06-20-2005, 02:35 PM   #4
Nervous Nellie

Nervous Nellie HB User

Crushme,

Oh hon...it sounds so much like you are self-medicating...and now you have another upcoming problem with your gallbladder to deal with...how is that going to affect the mix? I think it's really important that your doctors, especially your surgeon, know what drugs you are currently ingesting. Seriously. It may not be of consequence, or then again it might be.

I'm not YOUR mother, LOL, but I do care about you!

I am gathering from your response that you are dabbling in drugs right now and perhaps not so much concerned about the effect the prescribed pain-killers 'after surgery' will affect the combination with your existing drugs, but perhaps you might be more concerned about how just getting those pain-killers post surgically will tempt you to use them to get "high".

This is under my perception based on your previous posts that you have already found that taking Xanax and Hydro (in Vicodin form) are enjoyable to you and are somewhat easing whatever else beside your gallbladder, is hurting you right now.

Nell

Last edited by Nervous Nellie; 06-20-2005 at 02:44 PM.

Old 06-20-2005, 06:55 PM   #5
rosebuddy
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB User

For a lap cholecystectomy, you will only need Lortabs for a few days. Don't ask for refills. Tell the anesthesiologist about the xanax. I wouldn't take anything for about 12 hours prior to surgery. If you are real nervous in pre-op, you can ask for a xanax. I take them as prescribed. I don't get a buzz or try to. I take them for anxiety disorder and am tapering after I've been off the percs for a month. First things first.

I suggest that you get help before you harm yourself or someone else. If you need to see a psych or a counselor or go to meetings, whatever it takes if you have a desire to be clean and sober.

Old 06-20-2005, 08:21 PM   #6
crushme
(female)

crushme HB User

You guys understand. I just sometimes because of social reasons and other times just because i liked how it felt when I "needed" that socially have a strong desire to be out of my mind just a little bit, however I got there. I particularly don't like alcohol because it makes me feel sick obviously but its socially acceptable. My concern is just to try to get back to (and its just been the last month or so) coping with things without the substance. I just have a strong desire to be out of my mind. Thats the other thing, I dont want to be doing anything close to the surgery but I was concerned about narcotics that would be prescribed and wanting to use them after I healed for recreation.

Closed Thread