It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

He's been one week clean

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-24-2005, 04:21 PM   #1
KFld
Veteran
(female)

KFld HB User
He's been one week clean

I'm trying not to get to excited, but my son has been home from detox for one week, and so far so good. They drug tested him at his IOP and everything came back negative, even marijuana. He slept for 6 hours straight last night, the most he slept all week and he's starting to feel a little better. He goes to his IOP as he's supposed to and meetings most nights. He got lots of money for his highschool graduation on Tuesday and bought a stereo system for his car and a friend is putting it in for him tonight. I started getting anxious because he won't make a meeting tonight, but from what I see, doing things he enjoys seems to help him even more and I know for some people that isn't o.k. to skip a meeting, but I kind of believe that different things work for different people and I don't think he's making excuses not to go, he just knows what is keeping him busy and making him happy right now. Whatever it takes to keep his mind off using and whatever works for him, works for me. He knows the alternatives if he relapses, so I know this needs to be up to him.

Talk to everyone tomorrow.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-24-2005, 06:32 PM   #2
flintrock
Senior Veteran
(female)

flintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB User
Re: He's been one week clean

You are right. He needs to make the choice. You can remind him that meetings are abosultely essential to his well being, but that's all you can do. He has to do the rest....So let him....sounds as though things are going well........keep praying.........let God do the rest...........

Old 06-24-2005, 07:29 PM   #3
joanharvest
(female)

joanharvest HB User

Karen,

I know you are not supposed to get excited but you know it's hard not to. Maybe he will relapse, maybe he won't, but I fugure you take one day at a time and enjoy it. You don't know the future so enjoy today. My son is clean too and I enjoy every day of it. He went fishing today and came home so happy. Five months clean today.

Joan

Old 06-24-2005, 07:38 PM   #4
jessy28
Senior Veteran
(female)

jessy28 HB Userjessy28 HB Userjessy28 HB Userjessy28 HB Userjessy28 HB Userjessy28 HB User

Very good. Different things do work for different people. For some people meetings just don't cut it. For some they work for a while and then it is time to venture off and discover things for themselves. For some they go only in hopes it will make them not want to get high anymore and keep them clean when really they just are not done yet. If he is younger it is hard to think of going to meeting for the rest of your life and that is it. Is sucks to think that. At first it is great but after a while it really just does not cut it for some people. And for some it does. If you ever wonder how he is doing....don't go by his answers to your questions.....go get a drug test from walgreens and spring it on him. If he is clean he will pee right there.....if he is not he will try to avoid it for whatever exuse he can come up with.

Old 06-24-2005, 09:28 PM   #5
tony_b

tony_b HB User

I know this may sound bad but at least he is using the money to buy something that makes him happy other than drugs. I bet you feel great! Tell him that you are proud of his life choices and reassure him that you supporting him all of the way, I think that will make his recovery much easier knowing that someone is standing by his side! I felt so alone when I was doping myself to death and the reality to that? I WAS! Then I made the decision to do the right things in life and my family/friends were there for me! It made me feel so good! KEEP UP THE WONDERFUL WORK!

Old 06-25-2005, 06:59 AM   #6
Nervous Nellie

Nervous Nellie HB User

Karen! Good stuff! I'm especially impressed that he received his high school graduation! That alone would make my heart sing...my own son (18) only has a few grade 10 credits.

Staying home with a buddy and putting in a car stereo system is therapeutic as well, I think. It shows your son that there are fun things to do when one is clean and sober and that he can truly enjoy those things without being 'high'. I think that is great! I'm sure he'll get back on track with his meetings, but having a night off with a friend to do something oh so cool...is good therapy, too, I think!

Hang in there, Mom!

Love,
Nell (Karen)

Old 06-25-2005, 07:05 AM   #7
KFld
Veteran
(female)

KFld HB User

I really don't care that he spent all his graduation money on his car. I am thrilled that is what he spent it on as a matter of fact. He had started buying things for his stereo system over a year ago and with the money he spent this week he probably will have a 1200.00 stereo system in his car by the end of today. Good for him, it's better then 1200.00 worth of dope!!!
He keeps telling me that keeping himself busy and working on his car and buying stuff for it is what helps him the most right now. He said he will go to a meeting tonight.
He is in an IOP right now that is randomly drug testing him and they have agreed to contact me if anything comes up positive, so I will let them do that part. We tried that home drug testing and it got us no where. Kept coming up negative and he admitted he was doing it, so I don't know how that happens. I'll leave it to his program and the labs to do that part. This is his first weekend since he came home from detox, so I'm sure they will drug test him on Monday to see if he behaved!

Check in with you all later.

Old 06-25-2005, 07:08 AM   #8
KFld
Veteran
(female)

KFld HB User

I almost forget, he was trying to figure out how much money he would be making starting this week when he gets back to work full time, and deducting what he gives me for car payments etc., so that he knows how much money he will have to spend on his car every week. My son is one of these who couldn't wait to get his license and even his principle at school told me it was the turn around of his grades and everything else once he got his car and license, so I am so glad to see he is back into his car. For the past few months he wasn't even changing the oil, or cleaning it. So this is a good sign.

Closed Thread