It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• Jail: Best rehab for teens?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-24-2005, 05:52 PM   #1
    thghtsreal
    Inactive
    (male)

thghtsreal HB User
    Jail: Best rehab for teens?

My 17 year old son has been addicted to oxycotin since he was fifteen. He was in rehab several times. He went through hospitalized detox, more in-patient treatment, and outpatient treatment, and of course NA. In and out, in and out. Each time he got out of rehab, he returned to drugs with a greater appetitite than before he went in.

Ironically, the rehab center that was charging $1,000 per day was the very place he was hooking up with other patients who would sell him drugs; sometimes right at the rehab center!

It was obvious that nothing would stop him from taking drugs. First of all, Oxycontin is such an addictive drug that it is terribly difficult to break the addiction.

It was also clear that most of the other teen patients were there not because they REALLY wanted to quit, but mostly because their parents forced them to be there. Some parents were lucky enough to have good insurance to cover the enormous costs, and some parents just depleted their life savings to the rehab center in desperate hope that they could save their child from the destruction of drugs. Most kids go right back to drugs after rehab. In my opinion, many private teen rehab centers are modern con-artists preying on the concerns of parents and offering high priced "rehabilitation" with zero accountability.

My son eventually ended up in jail for several months. We just got tired of going through the same rehab in-out routine, plus we were literally broke from all the previous hospital and rehab expenses. We kept hearing that you have to make the addict accountable for their actions. Finally, we found his drugs again, but that time we called the police. Since Oxycontin possession without a prescription is a felony in most states, he was hauled to jail, a high bail was set, and he has been there ever since.

This has been the longest stretch of time he has been off of drugs in years. He appears to be thinking clearly now - finally. It took at least six weeks for the oxy and other drugs to clean out of his system enough that he could look around and assess what a mess he really was in.

Based on this experience, I would have to encourage other parents to do the same. If your kids break the law and you find their drugs, don't coddle them and protect them, and send them to a teen rehab center. Save your time, save your money, save all the emotional stress of seeing your child going back to drugs. Make them face the music. Call the police. Get them arrested, and let them fend for themselves. It is difficult to do, but it is the best way to save them.

God bless parents, family and friends who are tortured by the addictions of the kids they love.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-24-2005, 06:58 PM   #2
    Sissypie
    Veteran
    (female)

Sissypie HB User
    Re: Jail: Best rehab for teens?

Is it my imagination, or does it seem like since Oxycontin hit the market the drug epidemic has skyrocketed? I know there are others that are addicting, but this particular drug seems to rank high on the list of an addict's drug of choice.

I'm sorry that your family has had to endure this addiction with your son. I know that it isn't an easy choice to send your son to jail, but sometimes drastic measures are what has to be done. At least you know where he is, and that he's alive another day. I've heard more than once that the best drug connections are made in rehab. Many people are there just to satisfy a court order. Unless you are there because you want to make a sincere change, rehab is worthless. Sure, you can learn tools to help you lead a clean and sober life, but I believe you have to be seeking that from within before it will be effective.

My brother's situation has taught me that you can not force someone to benefit from rehab until they themselves want it.

Best wishes to your son, and your family.

Old 06-24-2005, 07:34 PM   #3
    jessy28
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

jessy28 HB Userjessy28 HB Userjessy28 HB Userjessy28 HB Userjessy28 HB Userjessy28 HB User

I agree that jail sometimes is the only way to go with addicts. It was for me. There is no way that I would have ever gotten sober if I had not gone to jail. The thing is, as a parent, you need to be careful calling the cops on your kids in hopes it will save their lives. One way to avoid that situation is to just not let them back in your homes and this way they will probably end up there all on their own. Just having no place to go is one really good way to face the music, and if that does not get you , most likely you will start breaking the law to get high and will end up in jail anyway. PLEASE PARENTS BE CAREFUL CALLING THE COPS ON YOUR KIDS BECAUSE UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT THE EXACT CHARGES WILL BE THAT WILL FOLLOW EXACTLY WHAT DRUGS YOU ARE CALLING THE COPS ABOUT YOU COULD GET YOUR KID THROWN IN JAIL FOR WAY LONGER THAN YOU EVER WANTED NOR DO THEY NEED! The thing is , a year or two won't ever hurt a major drug addict and are really needed most of the time. But if they are not ready it won't work anyway. But if someone already had felonies the smallest amount of drugs could get them sent away for five or ten years easy. You would be suprised what only a few little pills could do these days to a previous offender. And , things like exstasy could get a first offender thrown away for years , multiple, and that is after a good plea bargain. Just don't let your kids back in your house. I am over three years clean and if I did not tell you I had a past you would never know it. I actually am almost four years clean off of heroin and oxys and crack and you name it and i did it with my herion or methadone on a daily basis for over five years. I am fine and my mind is back and working over time on a daily basis. I am surprised I did not have permanent brain damage. Maybe I was a genuise to begin with and now i am just a bit over average. Just kidding. But I can run circles around normal people for some reason. LOL

Old 06-24-2005, 09:56 PM   #4
    tony_b

tony_b HB User

I sooo agree with you! Addicted teens put thier parents through so much and they don't realize what they are doing! You definately did the right thing as your teen sees that the time to play you is OVER! GOOD FOR YOU! I do hope your son makes it for his own well being!

Old 06-25-2005, 02:44 AM   #5
    thghtsreal
    Inactive
    (male)

thghtsreal HB User

Thanks, People. It was both a very difficult decision and an easy decision to call the police on our son.

The easy part was that it was obvious if we didn't do something that he would be dead soon. Our son had simply gone mad for Oxy. He had gone from chewing the pills to crushing/snorting to injecting and we were suddenly finding syringes all over the house. He had dropped out of everything and was flunking school. It was scary.

There was nothing we could do to stop him. We had taken away all of his privilages, but it didn't matter to him. He wouldn't break curfew and he didn't have to. His drug connections met him at any place at any time. If he didn't get it during the day, they would deliver it at night. I would stay up all night to watch him so that he would not sneak out or make the quick connection right in front of our house, but eventually I would fall asleep and BINGO he would make a call and get his junk. Of course, school and the rehab center was also an easy place for him to get his drugs.

I don't even want to think about what he might have been doing to afford what I guess must have been nearly a $200/day addiction.

So, painful as it was, seeing him secure in jail was a tremendous relief. All other options had been exhausted - rehab as I explained above was a complete failure. The crazy out-of-control drug use had finally come to a stop. I am now concerned about his future because he could be convicted as a felon which would make life very difficult for him. Also, as was posted above, he could be in for a long time. If he is released and goes back to drugs and is caught, then he absolutely WILL spend the rest of his teen years and a good part of his early twenties in prison.

I keep telling myself that it is better to have him in jail/prison than have him overdose on drugs. There was no question that our son would be dead soon from abusing Oxy or some other drug.

Yes, as someone mentioned above, Oxyodone/oxycone has become epidemic today, especially with kids. It is so easy to get and it has a kind of safe, clean image to kids because it is made by a big drug company in the USA.

Oxy has ruined so many lives and caused so much pain in our society. It really needs to be strictly controlled.

In fact, the abuse of so many prescription drugs is so prevelant with our youth today, it is absolutely frightening. Their availability and affordability has paved the way for today's generation of youth to become more whacked out on drugs than any generation in USA history. It is truly sad and frightening.

Last edited by thghtsreal; 06-25-2005 at 02:47 AM.

Old 06-25-2005, 07:11 AM   #6
    Sissypie
    Veteran
    (female)

Sissypie HB User

Do doctors get a percentage from prescribing certain medications?

It just seems to me that they pass out Oxycontin like candy. I'm just wondering if there is an incentive on their end. This is supposed to be a controlled substance. It has to start with a prescription from somewhere.

Old 06-25-2005, 08:08 AM   #7
    joanharvest
    (female)

joanharvest HB User

My 24 year old son got his OXY's legally from a doctor two years ago. Needless to say he was addicted almost immediately. I too called the police on him one night because he was suicidal. They took him to the local hospital and then to the local physch ward where they kept him a week. I took him back home because they found he had ulcers. A few months later another Dr. gave him more OXY's. He said he could control them. I held the prescription and doled them out. Soon he was doing heroin. When I finally found out about the heroin I told him detox or get out. He detoxed at home. He had heard too many horror stories about the local rehab place. My son loves home so he did it and is almost 6 months clean. He finally realizes he can't do any opiates and has no control over them and also knows I WILL kick him out because I proved I won't take any **** from him because I called the police once. I know everyone doesn't agree but I found drug testing him at home helps and he agrees. He says it's what keeps him straight.

Old 06-25-2005, 08:37 AM   #8
    thghtsreal
    Inactive
    (male)

thghtsreal HB User

Hurray for you, Joanharvest.

I am very happy to hear a successful oxy/heroin escape story. There aren't many of them out there.

I hope your son stays clean forever without any relapses.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by joanharvest
    My 24 year old son got his OXY's legally from a doctor two years ago. Needless to say he was addicted almost immediately. I too called the police on him one night because he was suicidal. They took him to the local hospital and then to the local physch ward where they kept him a week. I took him back home because they found he had ulcers. A few months later another Dr. gave him more OXY's. He said he could control them. I held the prescription and doled them out. Soon he was doing heroin. When I finally found out about the heroin I told him detox or get out. He detoxed at home. He had heard too many horror stories about the local rehab place. My son loves home so he did it and is almost 6 months clean. He finally realizes he can't do any opiates and has no control over them and also knows I WILL kick him out because I proved I won't take any **** from him because I called the police once. I know everyone doesn't agree but I found drug testing him at home helps and he agrees. He says it's what keeps him straight.

Last edited by thghtsreal; 06-26-2005 at 11:48 PM.

Old 06-25-2005, 09:44 PM   #9
    Nervous Nellie

Nervous Nellie HB User

Hi Thghtsreal

Your story and mine are so similar it's eerie. Just substitute the word "crack" and there you have my son. (plus a whole whack of other illegal substances).

I've been the whistle-blower on my son more times than I can count, including when he would try to break into my house (he was kicked out) by breaking windows and stealing from me. His behaviour was horrific while he lived at home and I just couldn't put up with it anymore. Like your son, mine would certainly be dead right now, if it weren't for his numerous jail times where he could dry out and get treated for his near-overdoses. It was a reality check for him to learn that his behaviour had consequences and society wouldn't tolerate it any more than I would.

I'm not sure how it is in the States, but here in Canada, once a person becomes 18 they are no longer considered a "young offender" when they commit a crime, they no longer go to a 'camp cupcake' youth facility, but rather to the big adult prisons. My son is afraid of that because he just turned 18, so as far as I know, he's kept his nose clean...no pun intended. Sadly he's still doing drugs. He also went to the drug rehab clinics, etc...but when he was released, he'd hook up with his old cronies from the clinic and they would all influence each other to "use" again. He's back living on the streets and the shelters because he wants to be, right now. He still has no intention or desire to quit, or at least that's what all signs indicate.

I feel your sadness and I also know the sense of relief you must feeling when your son is "safe" in jail. The ONLY time I could go to sleep at night without worrying about him was when he was incarcerated. At least then I knew he wasn't sleeping in some cardboard box, all strung out and at risk of overdosing.

Hugs to you and to all the parents and children out there who are suffering from the same nightmare.

God bless!

Nell

Last edited by Nervous Nellie; 06-25-2005 at 09:47 PM.

Old 06-26-2005, 05:13 AM   #10
    KFld
    Veteran
    (female)

KFld HB User

God I pray the route above is never one for my kid, but it does cross my mind. He's one week clean and wanted to go to detox and rehab, but it still scares me how long he will last. He has to go to court on Tuesday a.m. as he got caught with heroin, so the courts will be in his life for probably the next year. I won't have to tell them anything, they will hopefully be drug testing him themselves and that decision will be made by him, to use or not, and end up in jail or not, not by me.

I give you a lot of credit to have the courage to do that. My stomach gets in knots at the thought of it because I know what a huge addiction this is. The heroin starts with the oxy's. I can't even believe, the more people I talk to, the different people who are doing this. It truly is an epedemic.

Old 06-26-2005, 08:17 AM   #11
    tony_b

tony_b HB User

kfld,

I know when I was growing up that I really didn't "grow up" until I ended up in jail! I knew that I NEVER wanted to be in that place again and I'll tell you that getting thrown into a cell having to fight for my toothpaste and blanket changed me in a good way! I have never been in trouble w/the law again! I hope this doesn't scare you but it's just part of life for your son..

Tony_b

Old 06-26-2005, 10:51 PM   #12
    thghtsreal
    Inactive
    (male)

thghtsreal HB User

KFld, when it gets bad enough, the thought of your child going to jail will more than "cross your mind". You will pray for it. I prayed and prayed for my son to be arrested so the madness would stop. It didn't happen fast enough and it was apparent that my son would soon overdose. His Oxy use was just escalating so quickly and he was already injecting it. Calling the police on him was like calling an ambulance.

The thought of one of us either finding him dead one morning, or the thought of pacing the floors of a hospital after him overdosing kept me awake at night.

It is difficult to imagine how bad it can be to have a teen really hooked on oxy or heroin. Many/most kids that try it eventually get hooked on it - oh, sure, they can postpone the inevitable and it might even take a couple of years, but if they do it more than about three times, their fate is nearly sealed. Once the spiral starts, it is absolute hell for the family and loved ones. Eventually the kids realize they are addicted. They get sick and have to take oxy/heroin every day just to keep from getting sick. By then, however, it is nearly impossible to stop. Oxy/heroin is one of the most addictive drugs known to man. The users have more than a craving for the drug. They have an absolute desparate need. If they don't get the drug, they go nearly mad for it. I used to watch my son scratch his body like crazy and twitch and pace. He would even feel itchy inside of his ears. He couldn't sit still or finish sentences. He said that it felt he had bugs crawling under his skin - and that was when he was just getting the signal that it was time for another fix. That was the stage long before full fledged withdrawal. Wait until you see a kid go through oxy/heroin withdrawal - UGLY! They puke and moan and cry and beg and scratch and grab their stomach and roll around and cry and puke. It looks like an exorcism. It is an awful thing to see. Of course, the hours leading up to withdrawals are absolute frantic madness. At some stage, the addict runs out of dope. They use what they were supposed to sell or they use two day's supply in one day or their supplier gets arrested. There are many scenerios, but eventually the addict gets caught without their fix. It is a nightmare for everybody.

I agree with you KFld, Oxy is an epidemic. Eventually the laws will be tightened on it's distribution, but for now, it is sucking a lot of people into the abyss of opiate addiction.

When we were kids, once someone became a heroin addict, you wrote them off as a lost cause. Of course, heroin users were so rare, the only time you saw them was on movies and it just didn't seem real. These days, thanks to oxy, nearly every high school has at least a couple of kids either addicted to oxy/heroin or well on their way. I am confident that EVERY high school has someone using oxy, if only just getting started. There are more kids now in disaster than ever before. Of course, most kids don't do drugs even though it might seem that way to those who's lives are hit by drugs. However, more kids than ever before are being ruined by drugs because the types of drugs they are using are so terribly addicting such as oxy/heroin and meth. Even the terribly dangerous and once forgotten acid has had a rebirth. It is crazy!

My son went to adult jail at 17. This is the law in most states in the USA. It is likely he will get out soon (now nearly three months and counting). He will have a felony on his record that will follow him for life and he will have several years probation. I have real mixed feelings about it. We miss him and I would like to see him again without looking through a pane of glass and talking through a phone like we do when he is in jail. However, if he goes back on drugs, all of our lives will be plunged into hell again.

I can tell you this with confidence; if he does drugs again and I know about it, I will not hesitate to turn him in again.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by KFld
    God I pray the route above is never one for my kid, but it does

cross my mind. He's one week clean and wanted to go to detox and rehab, but it still scares me how long he will last. He has to go to court on Tuesday a.m. as he got caught with heroin, so the courts will be in his life for probably the next year. I won't have to tell them anything, they will hopefully be drug testing him themselves and that decision will be made by him, to use or not, and end up in jail or not, not by me.

I give you a lot of credit to have the courage to do that. My stomach gets in knots at the thought of it because I know what a huge addiction this is. The heroin starts with the oxy's. I can't even believe, the more people I talk to, the different people who are doing this. It truly is an epedemic.

Last edited by thghtsreal; 06-26-2005 at 11:10 PM.

Old 06-26-2005, 11:47 PM   #13
    Nervous Nellie

Nervous Nellie HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by thghtsreal
    I can tell you this with confidence; if he does drugs again and I know about it, I will not hesitate to turn him in again.
    Amen to that.

I think that loving someone so much that we are willing to risk them 'hating' us is one of the toughest things to do...then again, what would be the alternative if we didn't?

Nell

Old 06-27-2005, 05:43 AM   #14
    KFld
    Veteran
    (female)

KFld HB User

Nell,
    it is probably the toughest thing to ever have to do. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that my son is doing as well as he appears to be at this moment. Time will tell!!!!!

Closed Thread