It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• Pregnant and taking vicodin

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-03-2005, 04:21 PM   #1
    LPierce

LPierce HB User
    Pregnant and taking vicodin

I am almost 7 months pregnant and have been taking vicodin for the last 5 months. They have been prescribed and ok'd by the doctor, however, everyone keeps telling me that my son will come out with all sorts of problems. I have been taking 2-3 10/500 I was wondering if there is anyone out that has taken the medication while pregnant, and what outcome they have had. I am really scared for the well being of my child

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-03-2005, 04:45 PM   #2
    thghtsreal
    Inactive
    (male)

thghtsreal HB User
    Re: Pregnant and taking vicodin

oops, mistake... see the following message.

Last edited by thghtsreal; 07-03-2005 at 04:51 PM.

Old 07-03-2005, 04:48 PM   #3
    thghtsreal
    Inactive
    (male)

thghtsreal HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by LPierce
    I am almost 7 months pregnant and have been taking vicodin for the last 5 months. They have been prescribed and ok'd by the doctor, however, everyone keeps telling me that my son will come out with all sorts of problems. I have been taking 2-3 10/500 I was wondering if there is anyone out that has taken the medication while pregnant, and what outcome they have had. I am really scared for the well being of my child
    I suppose you have to ask yourself how comfortable you feel about giving your infant opiate drugs because that is what you are doing.

Are you comfortable that there is 'some amount of opiates' that are acceptable to feed to an unborn child?

Don't think that just because a person has a medical degree that they are infalable or that they know everything. Read this forum and find the multitudes of vicodine and oxycodone addicts who got started by prescriptions from their doctors who told the trusting patient that they wouldn't get addicted.

Sometimes you have to apply your own common sense.

Last edited by thghtsreal; 07-03-2005 at 04:49 PM.

Old 07-04-2005, 11:07 AM   #4
    LVNMYLIFE
    (female)

LVNMYLIFE HB User

Hi there!!

I too was on vicodin while pg. My baby is perfect and they had me on it the entire time.. What are your soecific questions.

Old 07-05-2005, 02:25 PM   #5
    carrins1
    (female)

carrins1 HB User

I cannot imagine what would cause a Dr. to prescribe that much Vicodin to a pregnant woman. Do you take that much every day? If so, does the Dr. know you take it every day?

Old 07-06-2005, 01:08 PM   #6
    togomo
    (female)

togomo HB User
    Exclamation Re: Pregnant and taking vicodin

I've never given advice on this board before, but I'm going to make an exception.
    You said you only began taking Vicoden five months ago, and you're seven months pregnant?
    I'm wondering what happened (accident, injury?) that made a doctor prescribe this dose initiallly? And in your second month of pregnancy?
    You know, what you put in your body, particularly in the first trimester, WILL affect your child.
    According to your post, you took hydrocodone during your first two trimesters and are about to take them through the last.
    I can not imagine what would make a mother "wonder" what their actions would do to their child. It's not something you "hope for the best on." You don't get a do-over on this. And neither does your child.
    You have, what - eight to 11 more weeks to go before your child is born. I am thinking that several weeks without drugs compared to the possibility of permanently injuring an innocent child is one of those easy questions life throws at you. You never stated you were in pain or what you're being treated for, but I'm betting there are alternative medications you could and should be taking instead of this powerful narcotic. Please check into this today.
    Please know that just because someone with a medical license told you it was okay to take these drugs does not mean it's the right thing to do. I wonder if that doctor would have also advised his wife to go on 30mgs. of hydrocodone daily when HIS children were ingesting the drug, as well?
    On behalf of your son, I implore you not to take another tablet without getting another professional opinion. Get two, get three. You're going to be glad you asked, trust me on this one.
    I wish the very best for you and your son.
    --Tonnie

Closed Thread