It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• Meth and pregnancy

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-03-2005, 10:13 PM   #1
    Chula95932
    (female)

Chula95932 HB User
    Meth and pregnancy

I have a girlfriend who smoked meth when she was pregnant and her baby came out fine. Now I had been smoking it too until i found out i was pregnant. I am now 6 months. I dont want to do it, i just want to know the scientific facts so I can shove them in her face! What exactly does meth do to your fetus? She is trying to tell me that I can do it once in a while and its okay.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-04-2005, 01:38 AM   #2
    homes
    (male)

homes HB User
    Re: Meth and pregnancy

Chula
    I am not an expert in this sort of thing, however anyone that knows they are pregnant and does anything that could possibly harm their unborn child is not only making a big mistake, they are morarlly wrong and if they feel thats ok what kind of parent will they be?
    Look I am no angel or I wouldnt be here but when we were ready to have children, my wife and I both knew that party was over.
    I am not a real religious man, but I will pray for your friend.
    Homes

Old 07-04-2005, 09:23 PM   #3
    porcupine_tree
    Inactive
    (male)

porcupine_tree HB User

No narcotic of any kind is good for the unborn fetus and can result in permanent brain damage. I once knew a woman that drank and smoked heavily when she was pregnant and her son is now mentally retarded, so I don't think it can be very good.

Old 07-05-2005, 10:34 AM   #4
    zekat
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

zekat HB User

A true friend wouldn't try to talk a friend into doing any drug they don't want to do - regardless if they are pregnant or not. I wouldn't waste my breath trying to teach her anything - why bother? If she didn't care while she was pregnant, why would she care now that you are pregnant?

Do a search on the net - the effects meth can have on a fetus is pretty scary. It does cross the placenta, so the baby is getting the same effects as mom. Another thing to remember is that sometimes hospitals will administer drug tests to mom and the baby can be taken away. I have NO IDEA how they determine who to drug test and who not to drug test, but this does happen.

Old 07-05-2005, 12:45 PM   #5
    Sylvia224
    (female)

Sylvia224 HB User

That's really sick that your friend would say that to you. Given time, there is no such thing as smoking meth "every once in a while."
    With regards to the testing, in my state (not sure about all of them) your pre-natal care provider can get family services involved if he suspects at any time that you are taking some drug. For instance if you come in and you've lost weight, or your teeth look bad, or hygeine problems or basically anything that he deems suspicious. CFS will then come and ask you to consent to urinalysis. If you refuse, that is considered a positive result and they can start the process of trying to remove the baby from your custody. If you show up at a hospital and do not have a pre-natal doctor for delivery because you haven't been getting pre-natal care, that is considered a "red flag" and they will automatically test the infant for drugs.
    Please don't do it. I know it's hard to battle addiction, but you've only got 12 weeks to go. Good luck.

Old 07-05-2005, 01:08 PM   #6
    carrins1
    (female)

carrins1 HB User

Please don't do it. It sounds to me like your "friend" is trying to make herself feel better about what SHE did, by seeing you do it too. I not only encourage you to seek help with overcoming your meth use, but also reevaluate this friendship. Good luck

Old 07-05-2005, 01:09 PM   #7
    dwp512
    (male)

dwp512 HB User

Yikes! Your friend dodged a bullet and criminally endangered her child. Inexcusable! To answer your question, there is ample evidence in the scientific and medical literature that meth use during pregnancy can result in low birth weight, premature delivery, failure to thrive syndrome and some evidence that there is an elevated risk of birth defects. Is ‘once in awhile’ going to do this...who knows? Is it worth the risk?

Amphetamines cross into the fetal circulation with EASE...therefore, if the mother does the drugs, so does the developing fetus. There is NO doubt this is true…NONE! Go online...it will take you 5 minutes or less to find information on the potential hazards of this drug during pregnancy.

I'm glad you stopped...your baby is too. Find some new friends...don't know any nice way to say that.

dp

Old 07-05-2005, 02:03 PM   #8
    thghtsreal
    Inactive
    (male)

thghtsreal HB User

Chula95932: Come on. You are bluffing us with this one. Nobody actually believes they can do drugs and it not affect the fetus.

Fess up. Tell us you are just kidding and this is a joke post. I refuse to believe there is anybody that stupid who actually knows how to type on the computer.

My money says that Chula59932 is a 57 year old male that made this post just to get a rise out of us.

Last edited by thghtsreal; 07-05-2005 at 02:05 PM.

Old 07-05-2005, 09:01 PM   #9
    tony_b

tony_b HB User

ENOUGH SAID ABOVE! Why would you even consider doing the drugs KNOWING that methamphetamines is made from rat poison, ethyl something or another, and some very explosive sh** that could KILL you instantly if not made right?! Now think about your baby! I want to tell you about some other stuff, but I already read it numerous times from the other members... Good luck and do the right thing!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    tony_b
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 07-06-2005, 01:26 AM   #10
    lharmon37
    Inactive
    (female)

lharmon37 HB User
    Angry Re: Meth and pregnancy

Everything you ingest so does that innocent baby, my brothers wife did that CRAP when she was pregnant. Just because he has all of his fingers and toes, he has severe learning disabilities. That stuff is bad news rots you from the inside out!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-12-2005, 12:24 AM   #11
    mom'o'5
    (female)

mom'o'5 HB User

I'll tell ya, scientifically your an idiot. Quit whining, quit doing the damn drugs and grow up. You need to raise your child not have your child raise you.

Old 07-12-2005, 05:36 AM   #12
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

Your friends baby may "look" fine but just wait until that poor child gets older.There are some of the most toxic nasty chemicals(industrial strength solvents)in meth.Just look at what this crap does to the environment/now just imagine what it does to a tiny forming baby?? This crap can cause a very wide array of significant neurological problems in the children of mothers who used during their pregnancies.i can almost guarentee you that this unfortunate child did NOT dodge a big bullet here.This will indeed show up in some way at some point whether it is damaged or malformed organs,learning disabilities or really messed up DNA.Think of that mess of toxic chemicals just floating around that poor baby and being taken into its forming body systems,brain and spinal cord.this child will have problems of some kind.you just have not seen it yet.Your friend is an idiot.Marcia

Old 09-15-2005, 02:15 PM   #13
    Skylar333
    (female)

Skylar333 HB User

Saw this through a search. But I had to reply even if it is an old post. Meth is not ok at all during pregnancy. Do you have friends whose parents were meth addicts? I did meth for about a year when I was about 16 and quit on my own and have never craved it since stopping. I am now 19. I had a few dope friends (dope friends because anyone who is on meth is not really a friend) whose parents did meth while they were pregnant with them and still did it. All those kids turned up to have health problems, be poor in school, and just be complete loosers because of their parents meth use. She is gambleing with a life and I hope CPS gets involved when the baby is born. Unfortunetlly they'll take a baby away for their mother smoking one joint and having it in the system and usually will miss a meth addicted baby. Since the meth goes out of the system within a few days. No one should use during pregnancy and should seek help. Please keep yourself away from your 'friend'. Let her ruin her life and her unborns and focus on your life and your unborn babies life and healthy entrance into this world. Props for you if you are really staying off meth.

Closed Thread