It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• Darvocet helps withdrawals?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-07-2005, 12:15 PM   #1
    walkersma
    (female)

walkersma HB User
    Darvocet helps withdrawals?

Hi, everyone on the boards, I posted a while back with this great plan of tapering off of lortab 10s. Needless to say, it didn't work out. When I ran out of them, I switched to some Darvocet I had handy in the house, and for the last six days, have taken them instead. It has seemed to keep the withdrawal at bay. My question is this: Now that I am out of darvocet, will I suffer major withdrawal like I am used to - "the flu". Did I just postpone the inevitable?

I just returned from the pharmacy to fill a prescription for 60 1 mg. klonopin, and am feeling this will help me though the rest. I also have Ambien at my disposal to sleep.

Has anyone used Darvoset to beat the Lortab and had it work? I really need to know - I am out of money, out of options, and can't be sick. I want to be clean, but I dread the thought of the bed for three days, making excuses about why I am there.

Any help would be appreciated. Please post - I am scared!

walkersma

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-07-2005, 01:14 PM   #2
    loopman
    (male)

loopman HB User
    Re: Darvocet helps withdrawals?

I can only tell you I tried the same thing with Tylenol 4 and it just delayed the wd's. Not real sure about the darvocets. I don't think they are as strong as the 4's so it might not be as bad. What I have found out you will get the answer on this board. I also wander how much of it is our state of mind. Take care and good luck!

Old 07-07-2005, 01:45 PM   #3
    walkersma
    (female)

walkersma HB User

Thanks, Loopman, I have been checking in periodically to look to see if anyone has replied. I appreciate your taking the time. I know that D. are weaker, and I have taking less, so I'm hopeful. Also, I have the klonopin and ambien to help me through. I am going to do it - I just wonder if I should expect the absolute hell of full withdrawal - I have to teach Vacation Bible School starting SUNDAY!

You guys are my inspiration, I lurk here every day.

walkersma

Old 07-07-2005, 04:41 PM   #4
    madhatter
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

madhatter HB User

darvocet is still a narcotic. But maybe your w.d won't be as bad.

Old 07-08-2005, 11:52 AM   #5
    loopman
    (male)

loopman HB User

Hey- I was just wandering how it's going. I will be gone for the next few days. Let me know.

Loop

Old 07-08-2005, 12:10 PM   #6
    walkersma
    (female)

walkersma HB User

Loopman -

I have been off for 24 hours now, and so far, nothing I can't handle. Last night I got real jittery, my legs felt like they needed to stretch a mile. so I took a muscle relaxer (Skelaxin) from a back injury, and a klonopin. Then I just kind of fell out. I watch a move, and went straight to bed.

So, so far, so good. None of those middle of the night TERRORS that we are all so familiar with. I am sleeping (last night without the help of Ambien, I was scared with all that other stuff in my bloodstream). So, I am hoping!

I've read on some detox sites that they give darvocet to help with withdrawals to some patients, since it is weaker and binds to differnt receptors. And, and as you know, Darvocet doesn't give you the "high" that the tabs do, so I am, at least, used to being rather lethargic.

Thank you so much for caring ! It means a lot to me. I am in this alone. No-one knows. Right now, you are my anchor.

Please if ANY OF YOU have a similar issue that darvocet has helped, please chime in, I BEG you.

Walkersma

Last edited by walkersma; 07-08-2005 at 12:12 PM.

Old 07-08-2005, 12:45 PM   #7
    mickey56
    (male)

mickey56 HB User

I believe Darvocets can help big-time.They surely did for methadone withdrawal.Key will be how many are needed and then tapering off that.I know you can do this.Be good to yourself.

Old 07-08-2005, 12:47 PM   #8
    walkersma
    (female)

walkersma HB User

To all who responded:

I was taking 15 7.5 hodros a day and just finished a taper with 6 darvocets a day. What are my chances for an easier withdrawal?

You guys are great!

Thanks.
    walkersma

Old 07-08-2005, 02:00 PM   #9
    Sylvia224
    (female)

Sylvia224 HB User

As far as I know, darvocet is still an opiate. I've taken it and I was high as a kite. But then methadone makes me high too so I'm probably just odd. I imagine that yes, it will make the wds easier, but don't let it become a habit!

Old 07-08-2005, 02:27 PM   #10
    loopman
    (male)

loopman HB User

Walkersma- I am so glad for you. Hang in there. The legs will get better in 3-4 days. I really think it helps to exercise, walking, biking, running. If you bones ache your blood pressure is probably high, so if you have some blood pressure medicine it works great for that. I am going to be gone for 3 days, I will pray for you. STAY STRONG!

loop

Old 07-08-2005, 02:58 PM   #11
    mickey56
    (male)

mickey56 HB User

You will make it .Just slow down Darvocet after 72 hour zone.You will kick much easier than you might think.Stay sober!!

Old 07-08-2005, 03:57 PM   #12
    butterfly64
    (female)

butterfly64 HB User

I have taken darvocet, and amazingly enough, I also felt "high"...which after so many years of oxys really shocked me.... but then again, I did take way more than a couple, if I remember right....

I would think anything less than what your body is used to would help, but for me I had not the willpower to taper, I am sooooooooooo weak in that way... So CT was my only option, so if you are able to taper, I would highly suggest that.... From what I understand though, when you taper, you will/should feel at least a minor level of discomfort....I could be wrong, like I said I was a definite failure at the taper method.....
    Just stay strong, and stay focused!!!! The mind is a powerful tool.....use it!!!

Joan

Closed Thread