It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• Have Suboxone Now & Scared To Death

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-14-2005, 02:57 PM   #1
    togomo
    (female)

togomo HB User
    Red face Have Suboxone Now & Scared To Death

I've only got a second to ask an extremely important question. I pray that someone will reply.
    I have finally gotten the infamous Suboxone. My problem is that I've been far too many hydros lately, telling myself it was okay because I'd be seeing the sub doctor soon.
    Well, I saw him and now I have it. But I'm afraid to take it. I think I'm afraid to not be high - I know that sounds terrible but it's true.
    My questions are these:
    (a) Can I take my first suboxone while the hydros (four tens today) are still in my system? Will it automatically wipe out the little bit of "high" I managed to obtain from the hydros? They will wear off anyway in two hours; should I wait until then? and
    (b) Will I have the energy to go to work tomorrow taking only suboxone?
    How ashamed I am that after all I went through to get the sub, I'm afraid to take it. But I do know that it's vitally important that I get off the opiates for good. Why, then, am I afraid to take this sub? What if it feels terrible (and I read that after taking it, it is a week before one can take an opiate again and feel it.)
    Has anyone else felt this way? Please talk to me!
    You know, as much as I've read about suboxone, I can't believe my trepidation in taking it! But still there it is - I bitched and moaned until I got it and now I'm scared to death of taking it!
    I can't believe I'm writing such a short post - editing is NOT my strong point! But my husband keeps poking his head inside my room saying, "Are you ready?" (He wants to watch me take it - he suspects I only went to the sub doctor after he'd given me an ultimatum - choose the drugs or the family.)
    I will sit and my eyes will move from this bottle to this board and back again, badly needing advice from you, my friends who have taught me so much.
    I implore you to respond to me - it's so important. I feel like I'm at a crucial crossroad in my life and I need your advice desperately.
    Please let me hear from you.
    I haven't the words to thank you guys for being here for me. I am truly blessed by your friendship. You people put me on top of the world with your kind and encouraging words. You single-handedly saved my job by giving me the strength to show up on the darkest hour of one of my darkest days, and for that I am so indebted to you all.
    As is my trademark closing (and it seems more appropriate every day,) "God bless us, every one!"
    Your Friend,
    Tonnie M.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-14-2005, 03:14 PM   #2
    butterfly64
    (female)

butterfly64 HB User
    Re: Have Suboxone Now & Scared To Death

Tonnie,

I don't have the answers you asked... but just wanted you to know..I have been wondering about you..and hoping that you were doing okay... It sounds as if you have a tool now to help you...I am sure you will get the info that you need. I am so sorry I don't have that for you.... but as you know I had the luxury of CT...so that is the area of my expertise.....Please hang in there, someone will respond...Just so you know though, it has been extremely quiet around here for several days. So, don't take it personal if no one answers right away...

You are in my thoughts!!

"If you don't see a light at the end of the tunnel, you're in the wrong tunnel."

Old 07-14-2005, 04:48 PM   #3
    spark-o-cet
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

spark-o-cet HB User

dont worry you will be fine.go ahead and take the suboxone as scribed and dont worry about the hydro in your system it wont matter.you will be fine at work tommorrow but need to get the suboxone in system today if possible,then take tommorrows dose in the morning is what i would do.quit worrying and take it and good luck-spark

Old 07-14-2005, 05:32 PM   #4
    Twinlynn
    Inactive

Twinlynn HB User

Tonnie -

Now, please--don't panic! But I do want to tell you as quickly as possible that I was told that the way the drug works, is--you need to be in early withdrawal (ie, at least 12 hours) before starting the Sub. The drug that I take--the very similar Subutex--is different from your's in that your Suboxone contains an ingredient called "Naltrexone" (spelling?)--and its purpose is to make you feel really ill if you are tempted to reach for an opiate!

So--two things: You need to allow about 12 hours of withdrawal, before you can start the Sub--and, then, you will need a few days after STOPPING the Sub before you can comfortably switch back to those "golden oldies." The Naltrexone acts as a safeguard--it gives you a chance to reconsider your decision to slip backwards, again! :-)

Please call your doctor in the morning and ask him the best and safest time you can start the Sub....and try not to take any further opiates tonight, so you can wake up in some form of withdrawal, so that you will be able to get started as soon as possible.

But I do want you to know that your fears about holding onto those "highs" are so normal!! :-) You're not worrying about a single thing that I didn't!! I wanted to be able to jump back on the merry-go-round, if the Subutex left me feeling depressed and needing a high.

But...it doesn't. The awful craving for an opiate will be mostly mental--and not painfully physical--once the Sub is in your system. It's a confusing time, though--and you will need--like I did--time to come to terms with the loss of your "best buddies" (the pills)--and slowly realize that "normal" life comes with its OWN highs! Give yourself a chance to adapt. This is such a huge change in our lives. We can no longer just reach for our twenty-minutes of instant "happiness". So, at first, feeling just "normal" can feel very anti-climactic...and scary!!

Soon, however, you will wake up one morning and be hit by the thought "oh gawd.....I feel almost....dare I say it.....GOOD?!". And this will be the sort of "goodness" that comes from finding the honest and real joys in life--not just the chemical ones.

Read up on the web as much as you can about Suboxone. I learned a lot just by reading and reading! And, please don't ever feel guilty or think you are bizarre because your brain is still frantically searching for ways to keep those old, familiar high. This is all SO understandable. And this is when your board friends can help. :-)

good luck to you and I'll check back in the morning to see how you are doing.

your friend, Lynn :-)

Old 07-14-2005, 05:35 PM   #5
    Twinlynn
    Inactive

Twinlynn HB User

Hi, Spark - just saw your note. I was told that I HAD to be in withdrawal before I could start the Sub? That's why I just posted Tonnie the above note.

Forgive me, Tonnie, if I've gotten this wrong. Spark may know more about this than I do.

Lynn :-)

Old 07-14-2005, 08:04 PM   #6
    spark-o-cet
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

spark-o-cet HB User

lynn,glad all is good for ya.i am almost 100% sure that the naloxone only purpose in the suboxone is to stop addicts from shootin it with the needle.i have been on suboxone twice now first time in 03 for 9months and again in 09-04 till 06-05 and just from my experience i have been high on hydros and oxys and then took suboxone and it never made me go into w/ds at all,and ive done this many times for sure not braggin mind ya.this last go around with the sub the dr on the first day had me take my first dose of sub knowin i had took pills an hour before i saw him and i told him this.he said alot of people confuse the naloxone with naltrexone and the naltrexone will put you into w/ds if you are still usin or high when you take it.all i can say is that i used many times on sub and never went into w/ds like some say you will.this does not mean that it cant happen but i woundnt let it stop me from taken my suboxone but this is just me and all know i dont make good decisions most often.good luck and its been awhile since i have been on the boards and good to here from ya twin.i will tell the whole story when time lets me.-spark

Old 07-14-2005, 11:45 PM   #7
    dreaminlill
    (female)

dreaminlill HB User

Togomo, you will be just fine on the sub! I am surprised the Dr didn't figure out exactly when you should take your first dose. My Dr inquired about exactly what I had taken in the previous 24 hours (32 norcos + 3 that morning of my visit) He did a little chart and figured about 3 more hours till I was ready, he also gave me a clinical withdrawal symptom chart and to keep running score till I scored in the teens. (I will post it if you need it) I was pretty apprehensive too, cried over it, and I missed my afternoon dose of hydro. So I laid in bed like I usually do when w/d start, finally got up took a sub and went back to bed in a major pity trip. Within the hour I was up cooking dinner and actually ate it to! No w/d since the few hours before I took it, NONE! And everyday gets better, the energy is there and the cravings are not, you'll be just fine at work.

Good luck, congrats on taking the step!

Linda

Old 07-15-2005, 12:20 PM   #8
    Twinlynn
    Inactive

Twinlynn HB User
    Smile Re: Have Suboxone Now & Scared To Death

Spark -

Thanks so much for clearing that up. I had gotten it wrong--I thought that it was Naltrexone that was in Sub.--not Naloxone! And the way I worded the question to my doctor, she thought I meant "what happens if you try to start the Sub with the "naltrexone" in your system. (She talks such "medicalese" to me, using all the drugs' chemical terms, that sometimes I have to remind her I'm not a doctor!! LOL!)

Don't you wish the chemists would give such similar sounding addiction-oriented drugs completely different names!?!? Consumers are much more aware, these days, of the contents of their medications--and they tend to refer to the specific chemical substances in it.

Spark--it was so good to hear from you---I've wondered how you were doing. (And what ever happened to Chef?) I do wish all the old posters would check in every few months--even if the news ain't good! Then, we would have the chance to commiserate with them.... and try to help, if possible. And, if the news IS good--we could share the joy with them! Even though I don't post very much, I keep all my old (and new) pals in my heart! :-)

When you have time, I would very much like to hear how you've been.

Togomo -

I really think you will be fine with the Sub. I just can't imagine you would be the first person in medical history to stay stuck in withdrawal! That chance is about as likely as you winning the lottery! LOL!

Hope you're feeling better and calmer now. I would be a Sub. spokesman for free, if they asked me!! That's how much my life has improved on it.

Am anxiously waiting to hear how you're doing, Lynn

Last edited by Twinlynn; 07-15-2005 at 12:33 PM.

Old 07-17-2005, 10:41 AM   #9
    Brianmac
    (male)

Brianmac HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by togomo
    I've only got a second to ask an extremely important question. I pray that someone will reply.
    I have finally gotten the infamous Suboxone. My problem is that I've been far too many hydros lately, telling myself it was okay because I'd be seeing the sub doctor soon.
    Well, I saw him and now I have it. But I'm afraid to take it. I think I'm afraid to not be high - I know that sounds terrible but it's true.
    My questions are these:
    (a) Can I take my first suboxone while the hydros (four tens today) are still in my system? Will it automatically wipe out the little bit of "high" I managed to obtain from the hydros? They will wear off anyway in two hours; should I wait until then? and
    (b) Will I have the energy to go to work tomorrow taking only suboxone?
    How ashamed I am that after all I went through to get the sub, I'm afraid to take it. But I do know that it's vitally important that I get off the opiates for good. Why, then, am I afraid to take this sub? What if it feels terrible (and I read that after taking it, it is a week before one can take an opiate again and feel it.)
    Has anyone else felt this way? Please talk to me!
    You know, as much as I've read about suboxone, I can't believe my trepidation in taking it! But still there it is - I bitched and moaned until I got it and now I'm scared to death of taking it!
    I can't believe I'm writing such a short post - editing is NOT my strong point! But my husband keeps poking his head inside my room saying, "Are you ready?" (He wants to watch me take it - he suspects I only went to the sub doctor after he'd given me an ultimatum - choose the drugs or the family.)
    I will sit and my eyes will move from this bottle to this board and back again, badly needing advice from you, my friends who have taught me so much.
    I implore you to respond to me - it's so important. I feel like I'm at a crucial crossroad in my life and I need your advice desperately.
    Please let me hear from you.
    I haven't the words to thank you guys for being here for me. I am truly blessed by your friendship. You people put me on top of the world with your kind and encouraging words. You single-handedly saved my job by giving me the strength to show up on the darkest hour of one of my darkest days, and for that I am so indebted to you all.
    As is my trademark closing (and it seems more appropriate every day,) "God bless us, every one!"
    Your Friend,
    Tonnie M.

Old 07-17-2005, 10:47 AM   #10
    Brianmac
    (male)

Brianmac HB User

You know you did the wrong thing. Stop taking the hydro NOW. It has to be out of your system for 24 hrs.When you take suboxone it will keep you from gettin sick and you will stop craving the opiates.. Is that not the reasson you goyt suboxone.... If you still want to live the lfe of HELL toss your suboxones away amd stay on the hydro...Otherwiwise go flush your hydros down the toliet and you will fell much better on the suboxone. You will have the energt to go to work and carry out life well. REMEMBER you will not or can not get high on suboxone so do not bother trying to take a higher dose

Last edited by Brianmac; 07-17-2005 at 10:49 AM. Reason: no need

Closed Thread