It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• I've been taken off the tramadol for good...this is going to be hard.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-02-2005, 08:07 PM   #1
    herbal
    Inactive

herbal HB User
    I've been taken off the tramadol for good...this is going to be hard.

Today my DR. told me "no more"
    I was using it to relieve chronic pain, yes. But also to relieve my depression and anxiety.
    School starts next Tuesday...this is going to be rough. I'm not used to being sober...I was spoiled with euphoria EVERY SINGLE DAY.

Any suggestions for the upcoming w/d's? I heard diphenhydramine can take the edge off.
    My marijuana use is going to increase rapidly, I can already tell.

I'm going to miss this drug...really....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-02-2005, 08:47 PM   #2
    sk777
    Veteran
    (female)

sk777 HB User
    Re: I've been taken off the tramadol for good...this is going to be hard.

Hey Herbal,

Is there something they can do for your depression? I mean both long-term and short-term, I'm concerned one of your major side effects will be increased depression (that's the only one I know of). Is your doctor going to monitor you?

It might be better if you get on some antidepressants before you try to go off the tramadol, assuming of course you haven't tried all this already. I know there is that seratonin syndrome if you take SSRIs and tramadol, but I have been told by doctors that it really only happened with a few people and has been a bit overblown. I know I take zoloft, have taken tramadol and then got a migraine and took imitrex, so a triple whammy for seratonin syndrome and I didn't lose motor control or whatever it is that happens.

Good luck with this, may your detox be as smooth and painless as possible.

Old 08-03-2005, 07:23 AM   #3
    Twinlynn
    Inactive

Twinlynn HB User

Herbal -

A few things:

1. Please do focus on your depression. If it's been a long-term issue, then you may benefit greatly from anti-depressants. You need a good, understanding psychiatrist, who will follow your progress and change medications if they are not working.

2. Is this your general GP writing your Tramadol prescriptions? Has he dealt with withdrawal symptoms of the drug? Or is he one of those doctors who refuse to accept its narcotic effects?

I would think that you would need to taper Tramadol--not CT from it. I've read of seizure issues.

3. Ideally, if this withdrawal becomes a real problem, it would be best to seek out a psychiatrist who is also an addictionologist.

In any case, I can imagine your anxiety at starting school and mental and physical withdrawal simultaneously!! I really hope your doctor will not just dismiss you with just an "Okay, no more Tramadol.....check back with me in a few months!!"

Please--if you're feeling bad, ask for help. You know, from reading this board, that Tramadol tends to react differently on each person. Please don't just suffer. :-(

Don't forget about The Thomas Recipe in the Archives, here--it's been so helpful for withdrawal symptoms.....the vitamins, Immodium, hot baths, etc, etc. (And small amounts of Clonodine and Klonipin, if your doctor will prescribe them).

I'm hoping that you'll be fine, when you stop the Tramadol.....but if you aren't....please get medical help....and keep coming to the Board here, for moral support. :-)

Lynn :-)

Old 08-03-2005, 12:21 PM   #4
    herbal
    Inactive

herbal HB User

Thanks to both of you for responding.
    All my DR. said was that he wants me to see a neurologist to see if there is anything else we can do about the pain...
    He doesn't seem to know that tramadol can produce w/ds. I discussed the withdrawal with my mom and she agrees that I should be tapered. I want to call and discuss this with my DR. but he seemed to be in a harsh mood about it yesterday. Sure, I'll go see a neurologist - but I've had so many expensive tests done in 2004 for my stomach issues. That's when we found out I can't take NSAIDs.

It's day 1 and I'm not feeling well at all.

edit: my mom tried calling the doc, but he left early today. I do have some spare Tylenol #3 available from a prescription in March for cough. So I took 1. That's a relative low dose (30mg codeine) but it will at least mask the w/d's. My concern is the codeine might prolong/reset the withdrawal process tomorrow.

Last edited by herbal; 08-03-2005 at 12:48 PM.

Old 08-03-2005, 12:59 PM   #5
    sk777
    Veteran
    (female)

sk777 HB User

I'm mad at your doctor! Seriously, why would he have you stop taking it if he didn't think it was addictive?? Maybe if you show him some info from a pharmacy site showing that there can be withdrawal effects, and keep pestering him. He certainly doesn't want to get sued. And if he is any kind of doc, if you say you want to get off these drugs but would like to do so slowly, he should be supportive.

If not, contact a psychiatrist or detox doc or some other doc who is more empathetic. Have him do a medline/pubmed search. If he doesn't know what that is, run the other direction as fast as you can!!

Old 08-03-2005, 07:29 PM   #6
    herbal
    Inactive

herbal HB User

Hello. Just cheking in.
    The 30mg of codeine made the w/d's dissapear for about 2 hours. It's getting worse as times passes. I zone out, it's hard to drive, I keep dropping stuff, and I just have a feeling that I'm about to go crazy.

Calling the doc tomorrow to maybe taper off slowly. I'll let you know how that goes.

Old 08-03-2005, 08:25 PM   #7
    redbaffl33
    (male)

redbaffl33 HB User

sky, maybe even though he does have CP his doctor also knew he was doing it for the high like he said he was in his first post?

Old 08-04-2005, 11:19 AM   #8
    Twinlynn
    Inactive

Twinlynn HB User

Herbal - just have time to say "keep bugging your doctor that you're going through bad withdrawals." Whether he knows or doesn't know of Tramadol's addictive nature, you're the living proof that dropping off it CT is producing withdrawal symptoms!

If you think he'd listen more carefully if your mother called....then ask her if she will. Sometimes a doctor will take it more seriously if a parent phones on behalf of a suffering child. (Even if the "child" is not a kid...like you! :-)

Feel better (and try some of that Thomas Recipe stuff....the recipe was just bumped up again.)

Lynn :-)

Old 08-04-2005, 08:57 PM   #9
    herbal
    Inactive

herbal HB User

I am starting a tapering regime on Friday around 2 PM.

It's night 2 (Thursday) and I'm still feeling quite a bit of w/d. I can't sleep, so I am going to take 25-50mg of diphenhydramine.
    What's the t1/2 of diphenhydramine?...will it be okay to start tapering with tramadol tomorrow if taking the sleep aid at 11 PM?

Old 08-04-2005, 09:08 PM   #10
    Constant
    Inactive
    (female)

Constant HB User

"tapering with tramadol"? I'm confused. I thought you quit the tramadol.

Also what is your question regarding the Diphenhydramine?

Old 08-04-2005, 09:18 PM   #11
    herbal
    Inactive

herbal HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Constant
    "tapering with tramadol"? I'm confused. I thought you quit the tramadol.

Also what is your question regarding the Diphenhydramine?
    I was taken off the tramadol... but will start tapering..

Basically; can tramadol be taken 15 hours after diphenhydramine?

Old 08-04-2005, 09:28 PM   #12
    Constant
    Inactive
    (female)

Constant HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by herbal
    I was taken off the tramadol... but will start tapering..

Basically; can tramadol be taken 15 hours after diphenhydramine?
    I can see no reason that it would be a problem.

In your earlier post on this thread you spoke of W/D's being bad. What withdrawal if you haven't even started tapering yet?

Old 08-04-2005, 09:35 PM   #13
    herbal
    Inactive

herbal HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Constant
    In your earlier post on this thread you spoke of W/D's being bad. What withdrawal if you haven't even started tapering yet?
    Withdrawal from cold-turkey.

Old 08-04-2005, 09:41 PM   #14
    Constant
    Inactive
    (female)

Constant HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by herbal
    Withdrawal from cold-turkey.
    You mean you are going through extreme anxiety over the upcoming withdrawal?

Old 08-04-2005, 09:46 PM   #15
    herbal
    Inactive

herbal HB User

........I was using tramadol everyday. I had my last dose on Tuesday...I have been w/d since...

Closed Thread