It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• tapering off subutex -need advice

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-14-2005, 08:13 PM   #1
    jewel1060
    Inactive
    (female)

jewel1060 HB User
    Question tapering off subutex -need advice

I've been detoxing on subutex since July 14, tried to come off within 2 weeks,
    taking myself down faster than dr. said to. ( my mistake-I think)
    Major w/d's coming off 1 mg.( started at 20mg) My doctor had to put me back on subutex 1 1/2 days later because the w/d' were so bad ( I was crawling - couldn't even walk) He restarted me at 4mg and as of today I am down to 1 mg. He is still taking me down but I am so worried when I come off again , which should be this week I will go through the same thing all over again - scared to death. Cant miss anymore work , and my kids are sick of me being sick. Any help from anyone who has been through this would be greatly appreciated. Just looking for some honest answers-cant seem to get them from my doc. thank you in advance for taking the time to help

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-14-2005, 08:18 PM   #2
    Wakeupcall
    (female)

Wakeupcall HB User
    Re: tapering off subutex -need advice

Hi Jewel,

I am right there with you. I have been on subox for 2 1/2 yrs. I was on 24mg...really had no problems coming down till now. I am taking 1mg. My 7th day on only 1. It is hard. I was told to taper slowly. I cannot picture going any slower. I can type/say so much, but I noticed you are still online, and wanted you to know I feel your pain, and feel free to ask me any ??? Keep trying, it will get better.

Last edited by Wakeupcall; 08-14-2005 at 08:21 PM.

Old 08-14-2005, 08:21 PM   #3
    Wakeupcall
    (female)

Wakeupcall HB User

One thing I wanted to mention, my doc told me...when I am ready, it wont be as hard as if I did it for other reasons. I have been on subox for 2 1/2 years and it saved my life...literally. I am really ready now...keep lowering your dosage maybe every 2 weeks. Remember, subox has a long half life. So, you do not feel the effects for a few days. keep posting!!!!

Old 08-14-2005, 08:22 PM   #4
    spark-o-cet
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

spark-o-cet HB User

i feel for ya i have been on suboxone two different times now and have not been able to get off it without goin back to usin.dont know anybody that has made it as of yet.drs do not understand how strong this drug is and most cannot give you true answers to your questions.no matter how low you go there will still be w/ds no matter what so be ready.-spark

Old 08-14-2005, 08:34 PM   #5
    jewel1060
    Inactive
    (female)

jewel1060 HB User
    Question Re: tapering off subutex -need advice

thank you guys for replying to me. this is really scary. i'm wondering if I'll ever come off and if so how? Does anyone know how long the w/d's last once someone jumps off at a very low dose and if so whats it like? Its hard to prepare when Ive already used up my vacation and sick time. I'll keep checking the posts and once again thanks for replying and feeling my pain.

Old 08-14-2005, 08:48 PM   #6
    Wakeupcall
    (female)

Wakeupcall HB User

Jewel,

Unfortunately, everyone is different. Some, like Spark, went back to using. Although, I have read where others did okay. Honestly, this is my first time acutally coming off of it. It saved my life, literally! But, I want off of it. I have enough for about 1 1/2 months. I hope I am not fooling my self. I cannt go back to were I was before. Dr's do not know alot about this stuff. It is extremely powerful. Even at 1 mg, it keeps me safe. All I can say is keep asking questions, keep trying. Do it for you and your kids.
    Shell

Old 08-14-2005, 08:53 PM   #7
    Wakeupcall
    (female)

Wakeupcall HB User

oh yea...

about the vacation and sick days. . . that is a rough one. One thought, also a rough one, family leave??? I know, no $$$, but even for 1 week (get thru the worst) Can you tell your boss?? I know, not good choices. I could NOT imagine, for I am at home. Just tell me to zip it Keep trying...something good will come

Old 08-14-2005, 09:55 PM   #8
    SharpOne
    (male)

SharpOne HB User
    Question Re: tapering off subutex -need advice

Jewell, I have been on sub since March.....Dr wanted me at 16....I seemed to do OK at 12...been tapering on my own since...at about 2-3 mg a day and need to get a good solid rythem going. Also...my doc said...no hurry...take your time. I have been trying to follow the board to see what everyone else is doing with sub. seems like the last 1-2 mg is the hardest to come off of. Some take .25 a day for quite a while...and don't even want to give that up.

I wanted to ct at 2 until I read some posts out here. seems like 2mg is more than we think. Iwish I had an answer for you...kinda looking for the same answer myself. Please keep us posted and I'll do the same. My doc is in no hurry to push me off. Last apt he wanted me to go back to 6mg because I was drinking again. NO WAY....I'm at 3 and looking for 2.

Just remember 3 things.

1. a cut at 2mg to 1 mg is a 50% cut. That is HALF of what your body is used to.

2. this was an alternative to wd from perc or oxy or something...so..It is reasonable to expect some ups and downs.

3. The healthier you are the stronger you are. Eating right, taking vitammins and some suplliments could be the jump start that your body needs to get itself rockin!.Vita B , C , a Mineral, Glutamine and Tyrosine

Good luck...wish you the best. father of 2 boys here and self employed here...I can take a little time....if bouncng back fast is an options! Crawling on the floow 5 days after ct! not much of a help...

P-The SharpOne.

Old 08-14-2005, 10:22 PM   #9
    daz_salvadore
    (male)

daz_salvadore HB User
    Angry Re: tapering off subutex -need advice

hi there in same boat im down two 1.6mg aday of subbys but my next drop is tuesday to1.2mg when idropped from one 2mg tab last week to 1.6mg ifelt it but it was easier for me as my doc got me a script of 50X0.4mg little subutex tabs which i dont have to split li just spred them out over my working day i.e 4X0.4mg=1.6mg for 5 days(i was a bit jonesy not to bad though its how much u want to do it that matters (WILLPOWER ) try i ask 4 the little 0.4 subutex it will make work easier 4 me i 3 little ones before work then half of one in the afternoon if need be and the rest in the evening before sleep its seems to work 4 me im not 100% but i am sleeping a little and had no time off work which is a surprise as my job is quite pysical but im just about managing its whatever suits u trial+error isuppose good luck try and get the 0.4mg for tapering

Old 08-15-2005, 05:58 AM   #10
    jewel1060
    Inactive
    (female)

jewel1060 HB User

hi sal- Ididn't know there was .04mg & Iasked my doc if there was 1mg, because I am having a hard time splitting the 2mg up in 1/4's which is what he expects me to do 1/4 2x a day. He told me to work with the 2mg pill, that there is no 1 mg. I'm sure he knew that there was a .04mg. He just didn't want to be bothered (weekend you know). Thank you so much - I have to run-will check in later (I'm late for work) Take care .

Old 08-15-2005, 10:40 AM   #11
    jewel1060
    Inactive
    (female)

jewel1060 HB User

hi sal- Ididn't know there was .04mg & Iasked my doc if there was 1mg, because I am having a hard time splitting the 2mg up in 1/4's which is what he expects me to do 1/4 2x a day. He told me to work with the 2mg pill, that there is no 1 mg. I'm sure he knew that there was a .04mg. He just didn't want to be bothered (weekend you know). Thank you so much - I have to run-will check in later (I'm late for work) Take care .

Old 08-15-2005, 06:44 PM   #12
    jewel1060
    Inactive
    (female)

jewel1060 HB User
    Exclamation Re: tapering off subutex -need advice

dear wakeup call - just want you to know I dont know how to use the message board to respond to you directly so I'm posting a reply - thank you so much - please keep checking on me - and I will you. Not feeling well tonight did full 1mg this morning ( usually split it up) Hangin in though, its only day 3 on it for me. Unfortunately I get no family time at my job and already took an extra week when this detox started a month ago. I'll check in t'morrow.

Take care
    dear sharpone-
    I also want to thank you for responding to me in such a caring way - you guys are the best - I'm a single mom of 2 -hangin tough & doing this not only for me but for my babies- got to try to sleep now hope to hear from as many people with advice as possible.

Last edited by jewel1060; 08-15-2005 at 06:48 PM.

Old 08-15-2005, 10:51 PM   #13
    Wakeupcall
    (female)

Wakeupcall HB User

Hi Jewel,

Gosh, I reread your first post, you went from 20mg to 1 mg in less than a month? Am I reading that right? I am sorry, for being slow, when I read it last night, I guess I was tired. IF I am understnding you right...WOW!!!

Keep in mind that subox has a long half life. . .did you know that?? So, when I went from 2mgs to 1 it took about 3days just to feel the difference. TOday is day 8, and I am okay...but I am worried about you. This does seem like a big jump. Jewel, I feel for you. My story is on here. Close to the first post I posted. It is the pits.

Why do you want off? Do you feel that you are ready? What are your thoughts on going slower? Everyone is different. Again, I have been on this for ...2years and 10months. Just in April, I went from 22 or 24 (i dont remember) to 16 to 8. 8 to 4 was fairly easy. (just tired) As was 4 to 2.
    NOw, 2 to 1 mgs was a little rough. Achy, and a rush of feelings-strange feelings- Even at 2mgs, not only was my narcotic level NON existant-but my alcohol use was zippo!!! Excuse my spelling!! Now at 1m, scary enough, the thought crossed my mind to have a few drinks. NO Pills though...I know it is still the same. Jewel, I guess alll this blabbering is for a point. Yes there is one. Are you ready for all of this?? How long have you been on on it to start?? I am sorry for all these ??? I guess I am thinking all of this too. I have no answers...just a will to put this behind me. One day at a time..that is all I/we can do...

If you have to go to work...can anyone atleast help you after work..family, friend, who you can confide in. So, your kids will not get too frustrated.
    your doing good, keep tryin...talk to you later
    Shell

Old 08-16-2005, 06:23 AM   #14
    jewel1060
    Inactive
    (female)

jewel1060 HB User
    Exclamation Re: tapering off subutex -need advice

dear wakeupcall-

Hi, I started on the 20 mg. on July15, the doctor I went to in NYC detoxes people in 10-14 days. By day 14 I was incredibally sick , had to go back on at 4 mg. This doc only gives you 3 visits for his pretty high fee. My last visit is next week. This has been a tough long month , never really comfortable.

I was on a very high dose of oxycontin prior to ( 5-80mg) per day for about 1-1/2 yrs. Other pain killers prior to that(percs, vic , etc- do I need to name them all?lol

Am I ready? Idont think so, I 'm not feeling too good right now I cant imagine coming off. I am hearing so many different things that scare me both about
    coming off and staying on. Opposite views. In the meantime I am looking for another doc in my area that prescribes the sub ( in case I have no choice to
    stay on) If my body goes back into severe w/d's I can only handle a weekend of that. I'll keep you posted - any other questions feel free to ask. I only did it this way because it was my only option at the time. ( Maybe your way is the right way) Keep your chin up. I'll check in later or tom.

take care

Old 08-16-2005, 06:32 AM   #15
    Wakeupcall
    (female)

Wakeupcall HB User

Jewel,

Plse keep in mind everyone is different. I have heard many views too. You have to do what makes it work for YOU! I am so sorry you are in such distress. Going thru any of this w/d is the absolute pits. I did it twice b/f I went on the sub. I will be watching for you.

Regarding messages-on this board this is the only way-to post and answer-just like you did the first one and so on. So, if you want to keep talking, do what you have been doing
    Shell

Closed Thread