It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• Nar Anon

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-17-2005, 11:10 AM   #1
    walkersma
    (female)

walkersma HB User
    Nar Anon

Has anyone out there had any experienc with Nar Anon?

I have posted twice today, but no-one is replying, I felt I needed some support; so I called the nar anon number in our phone book and am attending a meeting tonight. Does anybody have anything to share around this?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-17-2005, 11:20 AM   #2
    smc612
    (male)

smc612 HB User
    Re: Nar Anon

have contacted them several times and cannot find a meeting anywhere near me. i hear they are really good just as alanon is. everyone is different. you have to find a meeting that fits you. good luck

Old 08-17-2005, 02:44 PM   #3
    Ellnyc
    (female)

Ellnyc HB User

My hubby attended Nar-Anon when my step son was using big time. The meetings really were helpful. Unfortunately, the meeting he attended weekly closed and even in a large city like NYC, there are not that many meetings available. For those who can find a meeting I would urge you to try it. It is a wonderful, supportive fellowship they also have some good literature.
    Good luck!

Old 08-17-2005, 08:09 PM   #4
    walkersma
    (female)

walkersma HB User

Hey you guys, I wanted to share that Birmingham Alabama of all places has plenty of them. I found a meeting tonight, accepted my first Keytag/chip thingie for the commitment of quitting and have phone numbers, a book, and lots of hugs. Those folks are wonderful. I think this will be the key to my continued sobriety. I have posted elsewhere about my experience tonight, but if anyone reads this that is still using/hurting from using, get yourself to one of these meetings asap! You will be surrounded by folks just like us that have had our very same experiences and have chosen to stay clean. Not to sound hokey, but I was amazed at the power of that simple fact, and they only want to pay it forward to someone else. I am working on Day 11 at the moment, and according to these great folks, that is all I have to worry about right now. I'm just clean for now, I'll worry about later, later. That is a very freeing thought.

I am thinking of all of YOU out there that want to make this commitment too -I will be happy to share if anyone needs support during this time. Doing it with other folks makes it easier, honest!

Old 08-18-2005, 05:11 AM   #5
    KFld
    Veteran
    (female)

KFld HB User

I'm glad you had such a great experience. I think people don't go sometimes because they don't know what to expect, and then once they walk in the door, wonder what took them so long.

I wish you the best.

Old 08-18-2005, 05:54 AM   #6
    walkersma
    (female)

walkersma HB User

Thanks KFld, I was wondering if you would chime in with some wisdom. Having a very bad day, please keep me in your thoughts. The phone bill that is my responsibility to pay is so overdue they turned off our PHONE! I am stressing so bad that I am shaking. BUT, I have a job interview at 3:30.
    At least I have that. This personality that is so addictive is really an albatross around my neck at the moment.

Old 08-18-2005, 10:06 PM   #7
    Ellnyc
    (female)

Ellnyc HB User

oops Walkersma ... I thought I was responding to a question about Nar-anon, but it sounds like you must mean NA? (narcotics anonymous). We have tons of NA meetings here in NYC, very few Nar-anon.
    (Nar-anon, being the fellowship for friends and families of addicts. Kinda like what Al-anon is for family and friends of alcoholics.)

I too am the addict/alcoholic, and in recovery a # of years.
    Hang in there!
    Ell

Old 08-18-2005, 10:42 PM   #8
    walkersma
    (female)

walkersma HB User

Sorry about that guys, I did make the mistake of titling my post wrong. Oops.

Old 08-19-2005, 12:47 PM   #9
    Ellnyc
    (female)

Ellnyc HB User

no prob...just didn't want to confuse anyone who might be interested in either fellowship.

Closed Thread