It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• Someone please help I feel like I'm dying

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-29-2005, 09:46 AM   #1
    Scarlett H
    (female)

Scarlett H HB User
    Someone please help I feel like I'm dying

Please someone help. I stopped taking phentermine cold turkey. I can't take the pills anymore but feel so horrible off them. Its been 3 days since I took one ,after taking them for almost a month. Is this normal to feel so anxious and depressed? I really feel like I'm going crazy, but I know its best to be off the pills. I only have a few pounds to lose anyway. And should have never started them. I had no idea quitting would be like this. PLease tell me this will stop soon and I'll feel like myself again. I'm very scared.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-29-2005, 10:04 AM   #2
    Soulcatcher
    Inactive

Soulcatcher HB User
    Re: Someone please help I feel like I'm dying

I don't know about others but I have never heard of withdrawl from those. I used to take them. If anything it would be the same as caffiene withdrawls. Those should stop in a few days. Make sure you lay off ALL caffiene. After you get passed those days you should be fine. Take a multi vitamin everyday and make sure you drink LOTS of water, this will help you flush out your system. IF you feel like working out this can also help you to sweat out alot of the toxins to clear your system up some. Your going to feel yucky and yes maybe even anxious. You have to understand that you trained your body to work with that caffine in it and now your body has to get it's chemical balance back in order. Drink lots of water and keep yourself busy or just rest if you can. It only takes a day to two for caffiene to get out of your body and phentermine is loaded with that. Good luck sweetie, we are here for you ok.

Old 08-30-2005, 01:40 AM   #3
    hazin8
    (female)

hazin8 HB User

I have to agree with soulcatcher. drink a lot of cranberrry juice, and take some fiber pills, they are really good for detox. give it time, you should be ok in a couple of days. I hope you feel better.

Old 08-30-2005, 05:14 AM   #4
    wannahelp
    (female)

wannahelp HB User

Never heard of withdrawal symptoms like that. Usually you would feel very tired for a few days, but you've only been taking them for a month, so I don't think you should be suffering any withdrawals. I've been taking them for two months now. Some days I don't take one, and I notice nothing. Maybe you should call or see your doctor. This just doesn't sound normal. I also thought that hydrochloride was the main ingredient in phentermine. Not sure that this is the same thing as caffeine. Caffeine makes me feel as if I'm going to jump out of my skin, but I don't get this effect with the phentermine. Were you taking Phentermine prescribed by a doctor? This would be the generic for Adipex. How much weight did you lose in that one month?
    Could be a lot of different factors as to why you feel as you do. Keep us posted. Hope you feel better.

Old 08-30-2005, 04:11 PM   #5
    Scarlett H
    (female)

Scarlett H HB User

Thanks for the replies. I think amphetamine is the main ingrediant in the adipex. I read up on adipex withdrawal and its pretty much in line with what I'm feeling. Wannahelp, don't go off cold turkey I felt fine when I was only off a day or two. Its when I was off for 3 days that I started feeling bad. There is a board devoted to the discusion of this drug and a lot of people have had the same withdrawals. Ilost about 8 lbs. I don't have much to lose, so should never have been on it in the first place. I got the pills on line. They were adipex actually . They were great at first, then I started feeling weird on them. Everyone responds differently. For me they were a BAD idea. The good news is I'm feeling more like myself today.

Thanks guys for helping me. I can't talk to friends about this. They would not understand.

Scarlett

Old 08-30-2005, 04:50 PM   #6
    flintrock
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

flintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB User

You need to go online and read about this drug. It IS physically and mentally habit forming. It's intended to be used for a short period and for OBESE people. side effects of this drug are not good. I can't believe you didn't research it before you started taking it. Hope you learned a lesson. glad you're feeling better...........

Old 08-31-2005, 04:42 AM   #7
    wannahelp
    (female)

wannahelp HB User

Scarlett, what board and who posted? I'd like to read it.
    I'm trying to lose about 45lbs. I started mid June and have lost 13lbs so far. I'm actually losing slower than most, but this is a good thing. I've really changed my eating habits, and I only drink water (at least 1/2 of my weight in ounces) each day. I also see my doctor each month to have my b/p checked and my heart and lungs listened too. I'm strictly doing this under my doctors care, as should ANYBODY taking this medication. You should also, be very careful about ordering any kind of drugs online. I have to have a prescription to get this med.
    I used to eat only one time a day, and that was at night. I actually gained my weight this way, because my body stored every calorie and fat that I consumed. I've actually been starving my body. It's been hard to change my eating habits, but I'm trying. I now eat several small meals/snacks throughout the day, and try not to eat anything past 6:00 at night. I feel like a different person. It's hard to believe that you can actually loose weight by eating so much. Anyway, I hope to begin working on quitting cigarettes after I reach my weight lose goal. I'm tired of being tired and feeling yucky!
    I'm glad you're feeling better, and I hope I don't suffer the same withdrawals. Take care of yourself, ok?

Old 08-31-2005, 08:13 AM   #8
    babygirl2005_21
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

babygirl2005_21 HB User

Scarlett, I have been on phentermine for 3 months now. But I didn't start out with the highest dose. I slowly worked my way up from 15 mg to 30mg to 37.5 which is the generic for adipex. I have lost 15- 20 lbs. and didn't have hardly any side effects except for some hair loss. After a month you shouldn't have withdrawls. Phentermine is an amphetemine and can be very addictive but I don't have an addictive personality and I am actually slowly weaning myself off of them right now. I took them because I am in a wedding on Sep. 16 and I wanted to look good in my bridesmaid dress. I have heard of people taking phentermine for 6 months or more but I wouldn't do that because I don't think it's good for your heart. I took them last summer for only 2 months and when I got off I didn't have any withdrawls just felt really tired but I kept going to the gym and that really helped.

Old 08-31-2005, 12:21 PM   #9
    Scarlett H
    (female)

Scarlett H HB User

I don't think the mods allow posting of other boards on here. If you google phentermine it should come up.

My suggestion to anyone would just be to be very careful. It affects everyone differently. I KNOW it is what messed me up. It also messed up my menstrual cycle. And the fact that I was only on it one month doesn't matter. It messes with the brain chemistry if you are on it one DAY. I think its fine for someone to use it to get on track when they have a lot of weight to lose. It just wasn't right for me.

Old 09-02-2005, 04:36 AM   #10
    wannahelp
    (female)

wannahelp HB User

Scarlet, just wanted to let you know that I found that board. Thanks!
    I also have had trouble with my period. Thought that I was starting perimenopause, but now I'm not sure. Seems like others have had the same problem. My doctor knows of my period problem, but did not suggest that it could be the adipex. I'll question this with him again. I've never had trouble in the past, always regular to the day and time, until I started the adipex. That's a good board. Thanks again!
    P.S. Adipex is not an amphetimine. It is only chemically similar to, but not in the amph. class.

Old 09-03-2005, 12:22 AM   #11
    Arememom
    Inactive
    (female)

Arememom HB User

You are probably at least half way through the worst part. Hopefully by day 5 or 6 you will be feeling better. If you start feeling worse you may need to see your doctor or go to the Emergency Dept. It's important to try to stay hydrated and eat to keep up your strength. Try anything that helps you when you feel bad i.e. hot baths, candles, relaxation techniques, anything that you know makes you feel better when your sick. As a child my mom always gave me tomato soup with town house crackers or rice with lots of butter. I give that to my children today. For others sleeping gets them through that rough stage of withdrawals. My boyfriend slept for like 3-4 days with any sleeping meds. Then he got up took a bath, dressed, ate and went outside in the sunshine. It's amazing how the sun makes some people feel so much better. When I feel depressed, I sit outside in the sun too. Reading helps some. And of course there's the computer. That's my new addiction. It's one I can live with forever. Hope you feel better soon.

Old 09-03-2005, 03:37 PM   #12
    Scarlett H
    (female)

Scarlett H HB User

Thank you Armemom, are you in the army? have a child in the Army? I appreciate your good old common sence suggestions. Its amazing how the little things can make a person feel so much better! I'm doing a lot better now. Its hard to lay around feeling sorry for myself when my neighbors just a little south ( LA)are living in such misery.

Wannahelp, you will find all kinds of support at that forum. For the most part they are level headed, following a good diet and workout program, and not looking for a quick fix. I would suggest you taper off the pills when you decide to stop. I don't want you to have happen what I had. It was pretty aweful. I thought I was going in to early peri menopause too! I've always been 28 days like clock work then suddenly I'm 24 days! and didn't seem to ovulate this month. I'm barely 30 so it scared me. But it seems like so many have had problems with their period on phen. I'm sure thats what it was. Just be aware when you are taking it and if you start feeling bad cut back or something. take care

Old 09-03-2005, 06:58 PM   #13
    Arememom
    Inactive
    (female)

Arememom HB User

Thanks Scarlett, I have twin boys, who were both in the Army and both in Iraq at the same time. That's one of the events that pushed me over the edge. Not knowing for days and sometimes weeks at a time if one of them was dead. And the bad thing was they were in different areas and didn't see each other while there. One was there 14 months and the other 6 months. Both boys are back in the states now. One is out of the Army. The other is a lifer. He has been in nine years and re-signed up for four more years while he was in Iraq. He will be going back to Iraq or Afghanistan within the year. We have known for years that he plans on doing 20 years. I'll just have to deal with it when he's in danger.

Last edited by Arememom; 09-03-2005 at 09:27 PM.

Closed Thread