It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• OMG!!! This Withdrawal is Scaring Me!!!!!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-15-2005, 06:44 AM   #1
    anxietysucks
    (female)

anxietysucks HB User
    Unhappy OMG!!! This Withdrawal is Scaring Me!!!!!!

OMG!!! I just keep telling myself to take deep breaths and calm down. Lord, this is one heck of a ride to get off of and I'm scared. I feel like I'm just going to die on the inside or my head is going to literally explode. I know they say to never to say never, but I will never touch Xanax again!! I couldn't put myself through this again. This is by far.... BY FAR worse than the anxiety attacks I was having.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-15-2005, 07:20 AM   #2
    joanharvest
    (female)

joanharvest HB User
    Re: OMG!!! This Withdrawal is Scaring Me!!!!!!

I assume your withdrawals are from xanax. I really hope you didn't just suddenly stop taking them. You can't go cold turkey with xanax like you can opiates. It's not safe. You need to come off slowly. Please let us know.

Old 09-15-2005, 07:23 AM   #3
    anxietysucks
    (female)

anxietysucks HB User

Thanks, yes it is Xanax. Looks like I am going to have to go c/t because my doctor won't call me back. Two + years of .5's at averaging 4 per day (sometimes more - never less). I feel like my head is going to explode!! This is absolutely horrible.

Old 09-15-2005, 07:40 AM   #4
    halo1
    (female)

halo1 HB User

It will be ok. Trust me. I've been there. A different drug of choice but, none the less a drug. I am on day 19 of my recovery. Day 1 through 4 scared the hell out of me. I kept posting here and got through it with everyones help.
    They told me to keep posting, every minute, every hour if you need too. I did and believe me, I couldn't have got through it without their posts.
    This will pass. I too was scared to death. You're not sure what's going to happen next. Well, yes, you're going through hell. Our bodies have been taking in poison, can't imagine detoxing would be a walk in the park. Let it happen, let it take its course. Someone told me to take lots of warms baths with epsom salt. I did. I really worked.
    I hope you're not alone. I had my husband with me for 2 weeks straight. You need someone by your side to scream at, cry to, listen to you vent, just to take care of you. During the first week I also had my laptop glued to my body. Whenever I felt like I wasn't going to make it through I posted here and, people (caring people) actually posted back. Amazed the hell out of me how much strangers actually wanted me to get well again and stay clean. They do, they genuinely care. So, please don't put any more drugs in your body. It's wonderful being free. Take your life back. Fight, fight, fight. You can do it, we're here to help you.
    Post, post, post. Take care and God Bless

Old 09-15-2005, 07:50 AM   #5
    anxietysucks
    (female)

anxietysucks HB User

Thanks Halo. Did your heart feel like it was going to jump right out of your skin? My company isn't very family friendly and sick days are frowned on as in your'e out the door frowned on. I'm trying to work but I'm not doing a good job. I dread everytime someone talks to me. I'm sooooooooooooooo jumpy right now. I think I'm going to die and I'm not a whiner so I think that's why I'm afraid because this is kicking my butt really, really hard!

Old 09-15-2005, 07:58 AM   #6
    halo1
    (female)

halo1 HB User

I wasn't aware what xanax could do to you. JoanHarvest recommended seeing a dr. you really should. she said it's not safe to quit cold turkey. please, please take the time off and see a dr. i don't know how you're working. i never could have and, i thought i was strong too. please get help. your boss should see that you're really sick and let you take time off. they can't fire you for being sick. please see a dr.

Old 09-15-2005, 10:12 AM   #7
    Arememom
    Inactive
    (female)

Arememom HB User

Hi Anxietysucks,

When you get home, you need to eat (a little at least), take a long hot bath/shower and sleep. Sleeping can help you get through this. I'm so sorry you have to be at work while detoxing. Can you take at least 1 day off? I promise you will feel better by the fifth or sixth day. Take care and I'll be praying for you too.

Old 09-15-2005, 10:25 AM   #8
    BeginAgain
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

BeginAgain HB User

Get some help. Go to the ER if you have to. It is not safe to taper from longterm use of Xanax alone. Please, if your doctor won't call you back go to a walk in clinic, go to the ER - get some help. I don't know what to tell you to expect because I've never detoxed off this drug, but I know they told my dad NEVER NEVER just stop taking them.

Old 09-15-2005, 10:40 AM   #9
    anxietysucks
    (female)

anxietysucks HB User

Arememom - sounds like you've been there. Especially when you said to eat. I knew then because I have no appetite at all. I have no taste. I would like to sleep. My body is so confused. I know people have said to go to the ER, but seems like my doctor must feel safe knowing I'm out and not calling me or the pharmacy. Thanks to everybody for staying by my side. I called NA earlier just to "talk" to someone and there was a machine that said to leave a message and they would call back. I didn't want to leave my work number. My teeth are actually hurting. Is this normal?

Old 09-15-2005, 10:58 AM   #10
    joanharvest
    (female)

joanharvest HB User

When you withdraw from opiates you feel like you will die but you won't. When you withdraw from Xanax CT you can have seizures. I am not trying to frighten you but if I were you I would check at the ER or call your DR. again. You are not on as high a dosage as my son was-- 5 2mg time release xanax a day. He weaned himself off over a three week period, which was too fast, I thought, but he did OK. But even at the dose you are on it is highly recommended to wean slowly off xanax so you don't have a problem.

Old 09-15-2005, 11:32 AM   #11
    joanharvest
    (female)

joanharvest HB User

If you do your research on the internet you will find that xanax is meant for short term use, 2-4 weeks. People who end up taking it for years will often find that after they wean off, and you must wean not go CT, they end up feeling better off it then when they were on it. My son, a heroin addict is 8 months clean. His phychiatrist had him on depakote, lamyctal, high doses of xanax, and klonopin(another Benzo like xanax). He weaned himself off everything and feels better than he has in years. For the first time in 3 1/2 years he is drug free and has been for 5 months. If after you finally get off the xanax you still feel anxious, there are many natural things you can try that I have seen help many people. Good Luck.

Last edited by joanharvest; 09-15-2005 at 12:29 PM.

Old 09-15-2005, 11:56 AM   #12
    Felicia65
    Veteran
    (female)

Felicia65 HB User

I am not trying to scare you ,But I have been there and You need to come slowly off of them are be put on another med that is non addictive, GO to the ER, and get you some help.... Okay

Old 09-15-2005, 02:10 PM   #13
    anxietysucks
    (female)

anxietysucks HB User

Guess what? I've been home from work about 30 minutes. Checked the machine and had a message from the pharmacy that my prescription was ready for pick-up. NO THANKS!!

This is day 3. I think I may have peaked today. I did it the hard way and wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy. I am getting ready to take a bath and try to sleep. The way I see it, the end of my life is waiting for me down the street at the pharmacy.

I'm choosing life (sorry if that sounds corny).

Old 09-15-2005, 02:28 PM   #14
    Dave53
    (male)

Dave53 HB User

Hi anxietysucks. Great for you. Hang in there. It sounds like you are very determined and that is so good. You are very close to getting this thing behind you. Keep up the strength and determination. You have a lot to look forward to.

Old 09-15-2005, 04:15 PM   #15
    Chaswick
    Inactive
    (male)

Chaswick HB User

Anxiety,

I just posted on your other post.

The last thing that I want to do is to get into a war of words with people who are saying that you are just about over the worst.

If you were withdrawing from morphine or heroin or oxycontin, this would be closer to true.

THE MEDICATION THAT YOU ARE GOING COLD TURKEY FROM CAN KILL YOU IF YOU STOP TAKING IT AND GO COLD TURKEY.

It's not important for me to be right on this and I wish I was wrong, but you are getting some bad information on these two posts.

You are just starting the withdrawal process from this medication. It is going to get worse and worse and you could develop more and more symptoms.

In your other post you said that your Dr. had called in a Rx.. If that is the case then please go and get it. IF it isn't the case, GO TO THE ER. Tell them what is going on and let them help you. Go to the wwwdotbenzodotorgdotuk board and read about this.

Chaz

Closed Thread