It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• I am an 18 yr.old addict...plz help.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-07-2006, 05:58 AM   #46
    Philster2003
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Philster2003 HB User
    Re: I am an 18 yr.old addict...plz help.

Good morning Cher

Such a wonderful post you provided and such great news. Some of us take many tries or relapses to get free from the drugs, so having one small relapse on your part is a real achievement.

So on to your question(s) How do I start without discouraging you. Honestly I've learned is the best policy. I've now approaching drug free for 4 years (Jan 1), I'm a guy who at the incredibly old age of 45 never could have imagined getting addicted to pain pills. I had a great life going, active marathon runner, great job and then the pills just sneaked in and took over my life. Luckily for me I was able to just barely recognize my demise and pull up of the controls for my plane so I didn't crash nose first into the ground.

So given I'm long winded..........HA there is not a day that goes by for me where I don't think about drugs. Its not the situation where I'm thinking about taking them, more along the lines where I just think about it. And I hate that so, so much. But it is what it is. I can tell you the using/craving dreams did stop and don't ever seem to come back so that is a good thing. I also have realized that everyday I need to fight the fight against falling back to not taking those pills. Everyday I have to keep my guard up and its just another battle in the life long war we have to fight to stay off drugs and stay drug free.

I still have flashbacks but time seems to dull them or fade them well. I always seem to be more along the lines of I remember I used to do this when high or that when high or I had to do so much pre-planning to ensure I had pills or was going to be able to take them at just the right time so I could ensure the buzz occurred at the right time.

One of the things that bothers me most is the fact that when we get ourselves into an addiction situation its turns out to be a life long sentence. It really is very parallel in nature to having to manage of chronic disease such as high blood pressure or diabetes or colitis etc…………. It’s not so bad for us old timers who don’t have as many years left on the clock as a young person such as yourself. It really is such a burden at times but if there is one thing that’s so very cool about human beings, its they usually rise to the occasion and learn to manage a situation to the point it becomes second nature.

I think you will find this to be the case as times goes on. So sorry to be long winded, sorry to be brutally honest and blunt but its better we know everything there is to know, that way the battles become easier to handle.

Cher you are awesome! I’m proud of you and I can tell you that the rest of your life can be incredible good, incredibly great, just keep away from the drugs. That’s the secret, stay away from the drugs. The high I have now without drugs far surpasses the high I thought I had taking the drugs. That is fact, that is reality for me.

Happy holidays and thanks so much for coming back to tell us of your wonderful news.

phil

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-07-2006, 09:39 AM   #47
    SpasticMonkey
    (female)

SpasticMonkey HB User
    Question Re: I am an 18 yr.old addict...plz help.

Thank you very much for writing that. It helps. It really does. But why is everything so hard? It seems like every one else could do the **** I did and not have any reprecusions. I can look at my friends, old and new, they all still use and can go out and party and have no problems. What the **** is that about??? I had so much drama and one was never enough for me. I don't understand. My frineds call me up and ask me to come party or to tell me that they are so many levels of ****ed up. It's really hard esp. when they know I am trying to stay away from drugs and I don't need to constantly be reminded of how much "fun" it is to go out and PARTY. But these are friends I really care about and don't want to cut off from my life. So what am I suppossed to do? I don't know. ANY ANSWERS?

love cher

Old 12-07-2006, 01:05 PM   #48
    Philster2003
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Philster2003 HB User

Cher;

My opinion, there is no explanation as to why some off us get addicted and others have no problems. Why some of us have very mild withdrawals and others have extreme withdrawals given the same level of drugs used. Each of us is vastly different, that much is certain!

The other thing I can say here is life is about choices and decisions. Good choices and good decisions typically provide excellent results. And of course we know what happens with bad choices or decisions. They may be your friends but do friends temp you or lead you down a path they know you have issues with? Sometimes the hardest part of staying drug free is removing those temptations or inhibitors that would negatively impact your ability to stay drug free. You may have to distance yourself from your friends for some time, maybe a long time, maybe forever. Or you might have to seriously manage or limit your time with friends if you can (I'm not certain that can be done but its a choice).

The reality is our choice of paths in life, in this case the drug free path, can lead to some very difficult decisions. I'm just full of all sorts of good news ha

I hope that sheds more light on the areas you asked questions on and seem to be struggling with.

Oh and a green font is hard to read, colorful but hard to read ha

phil

Old 12-07-2006, 01:47 PM   #49
    bkim
    Inactive
    (male)

bkim HB User

Hey there. I really have to agree with what Phil had posted. If my friends were tempting me or putting me in a bad situation, I would be ****** off big time. Friends and family just shouldn't do this to us. Nobody should put road blocks in front of your goals.

Old 12-08-2006, 10:15 PM   #50
    opiateskill000

opiateskill000 HB User

I am 20 years old and have been clean for nearly 18 months. If you do the math, I got clean at 18 years old. I was heavily into oxycontin and cocaine. I went to rehab and attended 12 step meetings. Got a sponsor, support group, commitment, home group, etc.

You have a golden opportunity at your finger tips. What are you willing to do?

Old 12-10-2006, 04:33 PM   #51
    SpasticMonkey
    (female)

SpasticMonkey HB User

that is very true. thanks for your help guys.
    Much love, Cher

Closed Thread