It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• RAPID Detox within 24 hours - DR. Phil - Anyone Do This?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-25-2005, 10:17 AM   #1
    Kiki_Smiles
    (female)

Kiki_Smiles HB User
    Question RAPID Detox within 24 hours - DR. Phil - Anyone Do This?

Hi,

Did anyone see the Episode of Dr. Phil that aired a couple weeks ago?

He sent a woman to Florida for "Rapid Detox" (Medical Detox) to get her off of multiple drugs within 24 hours.

Here's the Dr.Phil link of that Episode:
    http://www.drphil.com/shows/show/516

And here's where he sent her:
    http://www.floridadetox.com/FL-clinical.cfm

If you click on the videos at the top of that Florida page, they explain the Rapid process. Has anyone ever done this, or thought about it?

I'm coming off Xanax right now and going insaaaaane.

Last edited by Kiki_Smiles; 09-26-2005 at 09:55 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-28-2005, 06:10 PM   #2
    carolkinch

carolkinch HB User
    Re: RAPID Detox within 24 hours - DR. Phil - Anyone Do This?

I did the rapid detox in Florida (Tampa) last December. It worked and I have been narcotic free since December of 2004, with no desire to resume. I AM SO THANKFUL TO BE FREE OF THOSE FREAKING PILLS!!! However, I woke up very out of it for at least four days. They give you lots of meds to help you sleep, etc. It took me at least three or four weeks before I really felt better. Human again. I am a 40 year old wife and mother of two and it was a very difficult experience. Detoxing AT ALL, in ANY WAY, I believe now, is hell. Without the support of my family I don't know how I would have managed. It was also very expensive, 10K. I've read horror stories here about rapid detox, but I can tell you that this place was very professional; an accredited hospital. The staff was very thorough and supportive. I've heard that the process is different for everyone; it was difficult for me. Truthfully, I did not "feel good" right after. It took a number of weeks. BUT, eventually I did get through it.

I had been taking Oxycontin for almost four years and earlier in the year switched to Suboxone in order to stop the narcotic dependency. After six months of Suboxone I tapered down to only 2mgs daily. My doctor told me that when I did stop taking it, I would feel "flu-like" for a few days then better. This WAS NOT my experience. I went through full-blown withdrawls; crawley skin, PAIN that lasted five days, nonstop. I finally phoned my doctor and he was shocked that by what I was experiencing. And no, I was absolutely not taking other drugs. (Which he asked me.) He advised me to resume the Suboxone and to "try again when I was ready." I was in such pain that I did resume the Suboxone, but I was so miserable to be a complete slave to these pills. I asked to be sent to a 30-day detox facility and the doctor told me that "they don't detox off Suboxone." In desperation, I searched the internet and found the detox place in Florida. Despite the overwhelming expense, my husband and I decided that it was the best and only solution for me. In my personal experience, Suboxone is ultimately no better than the narcotics because no one "tapers" or stops taking it. It's just as hard. I realize it's saved people from narcotic addiction, but to me, it's still enslaving people to addiction.

It still was not "easy", but I think it was much more humane than making a person suffer through a week or more of intense narcotic withdrawl.

I would be very happy to share more about this experience with anyone.

I pray that all of those addicted find a way out.
    C.

Old 10-01-2005, 06:27 AM   #3
    Kiki_Smiles
    (female)

Kiki_Smiles HB User
    Re: RAPID Detox within 24 hours - DR. Phil - Anyone Do This?

Hi Carol,

Sorry I didn't reply back sooner.....I'm detoxing myself right now and going a little "berserk" at the moment.

I wanted to know about this program because my sister is addicted to several prescribed narcotics and pain medications. The problem is, she needs some of the medications due to a seriously botched surgery that left her with severe unmanageable pain....which is how the spiral of addiction began.

Most, if not all, detox centers want you to cease taking any and all medications when you check in, and don't believe you when you say some are "required" EVEN when the overseeing doctors TELLS the detox center that without 1 or 2 of the pain medications, the patient will return to chronic, unpalpable pain.

Were there any meds you actually needed to be on after the detox? If so, did the detox center take that into account? Did you have any daily counseling, individual or group? Did you leave the center after 4 days? Or did you continue to stay there through the "3 or 4 weeks until you felt human again"?

Thanks and Congratulations

Even

Closed Thread