It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Addiction & Recovery Message Board

  • I'm new here and I need some help...



  • Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Old 10-15-2005, 03:46 PM   #16
    BeginAgain
    Senior Veteran
    (female)
     
    BeginAgain's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Aug 2005
    Posts: 716
    BeginAgain HB User
    Re: I'm new here and I need some help...

    Sounds like you are near the end, like it or not. Do a search on suboxone to find information. The web site has a doctor location feature. You will have to go to a doctor if you go the suboxone or methadone route. Both have to be tapered when you are ready to stop. Why in the world are you afraid to go to the doctor? Most are understanding and willing to help...what you are going through is not uncommon. You might look for a specialist called an addictionologist...they specialize in helping people get off narcotics and stay off narcotics. They certainly won't look at you like you have an eyeball in your forehead. Some doctors are more helpful and understanding than others, that's why I recommended an addiction specialist rather than your regular family doc. The other option is rehab or cold turkey. If you go cold turkey be armed with over the counter meds to help control the symptoms. There are lots of posts on that subject...do a search if cold turkey is the option you choose.

     
    Sponsors Lightbulb
       
    Old 10-15-2005, 04:22 PM   #17
    rmi227
    Junior Member
    (male)
     
    rmi227's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Aug 2005
    Posts: 13
    rmi227 HB User
    Re: I'm new here and I need some help...

    Gina, first relax you can be helped. I went on a drug called Suboxone. If you switch to this drug you will have just about no withdrwal symptons. Suboxone will make you feel ok, you will not be sick and be able to deal with things. You will not have the euphoria that you have with vicoden but you will also have a clear head. I know vicoden makes you more sociable, confident and so on. My doctor said that there is a subset of the population that feels this way on an opiate. Most people on opiates feel tired and drugged, but it gives us energy and we feel great. We are able to work better and are more confident socially. Eventually this will take it's toll on your mind. I was on Vicoden for 6 straight years, 24/7. It takes it's toll on you. You do feel great on it but it effects your decision making and it will eventually ruin your life. You know you need to stop, so go to a doctor and get help. You can find a good sub doctor at: http://suboxone.com/patients/resources/find_a_doctor.aspx
    Best of luck

     
    Old 10-15-2005, 05:15 PM   #18
    GinaMia
    Junior Member
    (female)
     
    GinaMia's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Oct 2005
    Location: In one of the hottest states!
    Posts: 23
    GinaMia HB User
    Re: I'm new here and I need some help...

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rmi227
    Gina, first relax you can be helped. I went on a drug called Suboxone. If you switch to this drug you will have just about no withdrwal symptons. Suboxone will make you feel ok, you will not be sick and be able to deal with things. You will not have the euphoria that you have with vicoden but you will also have a clear head. I know vicoden makes you more sociable, confident and so on. My doctor said that there is a subset of the population that feels this way on an opiate. Most people on opiates feel tired and drugged, but it gives us energy and we feel great. We are able to work better and are more confident socially. Eventually this will take it's toll on your mind. I was on Vicoden for 6 straight years, 24/7. It takes it's toll on you. You do feel great on it but it effects your decision making and it will eventually ruin your life. You know you need to stop, so go to a doctor and get help. You can find a good sub doctor at: http://suboxone.com/patients/resources/find_a_doctor.aspx
    Best of luck

    I'm so sick, I 've been crying non stop. I'm so freakin miserable. What are the odds I get help/meds on a Saturday?

    Why do I have to have the "addiction" gene, it's not fair. Why can't I just be a healthy normal human being? Even before Vic, I had severe issues, (depression/anxiety) and I always will. This sucks big time!

     
    Old 10-15-2005, 05:21 PM   #19
    Constant
    Inactive
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Jul 2005
    Posts: 1,149
    Constant HB User
    Re: I'm new here and I need some help...

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GinaMia
    I'm so sick, I 've been crying non stop. I'm so freakin miserable. What are the odds I get help/meds on a Saturday?

    Why do I have to have the "addiction" gene, it's not fair. Why can't I just be a healthy normal human being? Even before Vic, I had severe issues, (depression/anxiety) and I always will. This sucks big time!
    Why are you feeling sick? Are you running out of your meds or are you just sick and tired of using?

     
    Old 10-15-2005, 05:59 PM   #20
    GinaMia
    Junior Member
    (female)
     
    GinaMia's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Oct 2005
    Location: In one of the hottest states!
    Posts: 23
    GinaMia HB User
    Re: I'm new here and I need some help...

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Constant
    Why are you feeling sick? Are you running out of your meds or are you just sick and tired of using?
    I'm sick from WD. I couldn't get any pills today. Part of me is sick of needing them also.

     
    Old 10-15-2005, 06:15 PM   #21
    Constant
    Inactive
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Jul 2005
    Posts: 1,149
    Constant HB User
    Re: I'm new here and I need some help...

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GinaMia
    I'm sick from WD. I couldn't get any pills today. Part of me is sick of needing them also.
    Ahhhhh, I see.

    You're a slave to the drugs. They control you.

    I'm sorry you are feeling so bad.

     
    Old 10-15-2005, 06:26 PM   #22
    bevann26
    Senior Veteran
    (female)
     
    bevann26's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Aug 2005
    Location: cape coral, FL
    Posts: 615
    bevann26 HB Userbevann26 HB Userbevann26 HB User
    Re: I'm new here and I need some help...

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by oxyslave
    hey girl it's me again. i just wanted to say that maybe you should look into sub or methadone. from my understanding even if you try to use while on either one, you will not get high. also, you will not have to go through the physical pain of wd. just a thought.

     
    Old 10-15-2005, 06:28 PM   #23
    bevann26
    Senior Veteran
    (female)
     
    bevann26's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Aug 2005
    Location: cape coral, FL
    Posts: 615
    bevann26 HB Userbevann26 HB Userbevann26 HB User
    Re: I'm new here and I need some help...

    oxyslave....my son was like you, heroin and oxy abuse. he is now in methadone day clinic on 100mg. for 3 mos. i have heard though that you still get w/d from that in the end. is'nt it just going from an illegal to a legal drug? also, how long does one usually stay on methadone?
    bevann

     
    Old 10-15-2005, 06:34 PM   #24
    BeginAgain
    Senior Veteran
    (female)
     
    BeginAgain's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Aug 2005
    Posts: 716
    BeginAgain HB User
    Re: I'm new here and I need some help...

    Gina,
    Try taking some motrin or advil (600 - 800mg) for your body aches. If your stomach is upset, try some immodium AD...you can get it over the counter. Hot baths help relax you. Sleep as much as you can. Tylenol PM or Benadryl might help with sleep. Is there anyone at all you can trust to talk to? It would really help alot if you had some support. We were all scared to death to tell anyone at first, but it's usually not as bad as you imagine it will be. In fact, you feel so much better once you've unloaded the "secret".
    You could go to the ER and tell them what is happening..they will help you. There is a prescription drug called clonidine. It's a blood pressure medication, but people swear by it for detox. It helps ease the symptoms so you can rest. Maybe if you go to the ER or an emergency walk in clinic somewhere and spill your guts you could get some help. Don't be afraid. It's never as bad as you imagine. Take a chance. What do you have to loose?
    There is help and hope on the other side of this. Even if the depression comes back, I'm sure it's treatable. In fact they can probably start you on something now and maybe it will kick in within a week or so.
    I am sorry you are hurting so bad. Please know you are not alone. We have been there and many of us have been there very recently. I promise, the grass really is greener on the other side. It is a hard road...but it will be worth it. Try to reach out to someone. A friend, family member, anyone at all? Most of the time while we are sitting around terrified to tell anyone about our problem, people around us know something is up anyway. Sometimes they've already figured it out..it might not be a great shock to them.
    Hang in there!! Yes it's rough..but this too shall pass. I wish I could reach out a hand to you and pull you up out of this desperation. Please, go get some help and let us know how you are. You are now part of the addiction recovery family and you will be thought about, prayed for and we will look forward to your updates & messages.

    Last edited by BeginAgain; 10-15-2005 at 06:36 PM.

     
    Old 10-15-2005, 08:24 PM   #25
    rmi227
    Junior Member
    (male)
     
    rmi227's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Aug 2005
    Posts: 13
    rmi227 HB User
    Re: I'm new here and I need some help...

    Gina, I don't believe addiction is a disease but it probably does have something to do with genetics. I say so what!! Everybody has got something, you could of inhereted things worse than drug addiction. If you are going through severe withdrawls go to a local walk in clinic and mabee they can give you a few pills to tide you over until you can get some help. If you do go through withdrawl it does suck but you can get through it, the worst will be over in 3 or 4 days. I still think that you would be a good candidate for Suboxone maintenence at least in the short term. Your posts trouble me and I don't think that you are thinking straight now, and that's understandable. If you feel really, really bad then go to the emergency room and tell the truth about your situation and hopefully they can help you. When I was addicted I ran out of pills many times and I know what it feels like, hang in there.

     
    Old 10-15-2005, 09:32 PM   #26
    bent_halo
    Senior Member
    (female)
     
    bent_halo's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Apr 2005
    Posts: 161
    bent_halo HB User
    Re: I'm new here and I need some help...

    GinaMia...

    I have a good reason for you to stop....
    Her name is Kristie, she is a very percious and dear friend of mine living in So. California....

    She has many severe medical problems, even at 29, which required her, for the past 5 years or so, to be on several different types of pain meds, includeing Oxycontin and Norco.

    She went to the Dr this year, she was feeing BLAH, just not her usual, but nothing drastic...they did a blood test...

    She is 29 years old, she has a 10 and a 4 yr old sons, they are wonderful beautiful children and she is an awesome Mom, she is also DIEING of liver failure....DUE TO THE AMOUNT OF TYLENOL in her pain meds...as I type this, she is in UCLA medical center in California, fighting to live long enough for them to find a donor for her, they have only given her a 10% chance of living long enough to find the liver....

    I hope THAT, is reason enough????

    Angel
    __________________

    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Some days, it just ain't worth chewing through the straps

     
    Old 10-15-2005, 09:33 PM   #27
    astrolifter
    Inactive
    (male)
     
    Join Date: Oct 2005
    Posts: 46
    astrolifter HB User
    Re: I'm new here and I need some help...

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JCS
    I was hooked on vicodin for a couple of years..........I felt so good all the time I was doing 15 to 20 a day......and I spent so much money

    This is how it went for me:

    1st ....... I had so much fun with them

    2nd.......I had fun with problems

    3rd........Nothing but problems

    When I could not take it anymore I went to the ER and they took care of me
    I have been clean 10 month now and it feels great..........If you want to hear my whole story let me know

    GOOD LUCK
    JCS
    Thats awesome JCS, just curious, how long do you think it took for your own natural endorphins to kick back in?

     
    Old 10-15-2005, 09:57 PM   #28
    astrolifter
    Inactive
    (male)
     
    Join Date: Oct 2005
    Posts: 46
    astrolifter HB User
    Re: I'm new here and I need some help...

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by oxyslave
    hey girl it's me again. i just wanted to say that maybe you should look into sub or methadone. from my understanding even if you try to use while on either one, you will not get high. also, you will not have to go through the physical pain of wd. just a thought.
    I think finding a good suboxone doctor would be a good first step for you. At the proper dose, it will all but eliminate the physical withdrawals and even a lot of the cravings. You will, however, not get high from it, which is exactly what it sounds like you need. An opportunity to get readjusted to living your day to day life without being high, and also work on whatever other issues you may have that may have perpetuated your using over the years. You can do this by seeking therapy of various sorts, twelve step programs, etc. Whatever works best for you. Remember, there is a very strong psychological component to addiction, never under-estimate that. Also,there was a time in your life, however long ago, that you lived and functioned (hopefully happily) clean, without opiates or other addictive drugs. You need to convince yourself you can do it again. That make take some time though, think of starting the suboxone treatment as like a little kid jumping into the deep end of the pool the first time. He or she was afraid to do it, but afterwards found out it wasn't that bad after all and was thankfull that they did, God Bless.

     
    Old 10-15-2005, 09:58 PM   #29
    GinaMia
    Junior Member
    (female)
     
    GinaMia's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Oct 2005
    Location: In one of the hottest states!
    Posts: 23
    GinaMia HB User
    Re: I'm new here and I need some help...

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bent_halo
    GinaMia...

    I have a good reason for you to stop....
    Her name is Kristie, she is a very percious and dear friend of mine living in So. California....

    She has many severe medical problems, even at 29, which required her, for the past 5 years or so, to be on several different types of pain meds, includeing Oxycontin and Norco.

    She went to the Dr this year, she was feeing BLAH, just not her usual, but nothing drastic...they did a blood test...

    She is 29 years old, she has a 10 and a 4 yr old sons, they are wonderful beautiful children and she is an awesome Mom, she is also DIEING of liver failure....DUE TO THE AMOUNT OF TYLENOL in her pain meds...as I type this, she is in UCLA medical center in California, fighting to live long enough for them to find a donor for her, they have only given her a 10% chance of living long enough to find the liver....

    I hope THAT, is reason enough????

    Angel
    I fear this same situation and I am so sorry to hear this. How much Tylenol was she taking a day?

     
    Old 10-15-2005, 10:00 PM   #30
    astrolifter
    Inactive
    (male)
     
    Join Date: Oct 2005
    Posts: 46
    astrolifter HB User
    Re: I'm new here and I need some help...

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by oxyslave
    hey girl it's me again. i just wanted to say that maybe you should look into sub or methadone. from my understanding even if you try to use while on either one, you will not get high. also, you will not have to go through the physical pain of wd. just a thought.

    I think finding a good suboxone doctor would be a good first step for you. At the proper dose, it will all but eliminate the physical withdrawals and even a lot of the cravings. You will, however, not get high from it, which is exactly what it sounds like you need. An opportunity to get readjusted to living your day to day life without being high, and also work on whatever other issues you may have that may have perpetuated your using over the years. You can do this by seeking therapy of various sorts, twelve step programs, etc. Whatever works best for you. Remember, there is a very strong psychological component to addiction, never under-estimate that. Also,there was a time in your life, however long ago, that you lived and functioned (hopefully happily) clean, without opiates or other addictive drugs. You need to convince yourself you can do it again. That make take some time though, think of starting the suboxone treatment as like a little kid jumping into the deep end of the pool the first time. He or she was afraid to do it, but afterwards found out it wasn't that bad after all and was thankfull that they did, God

     
    Closed Thread

    Related Topics
    Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
    CONFUSED with THYROID readings?? I need help? meds do nto seem to be working? bluetou Thyroid Disorders 17 05-12-2011 07:18 PM
    I need good arguments for a stubborn endo tigger67 Thyroid Disorders 10 05-20-2010 12:08 PM
    ~ need a man's advice ~ mariagar Relationship Health 20 04-20-2010 07:41 AM
    Really need to feel I'm not alone olderthen48 Chronic Pain 16 04-20-2010 03:40 AM
    Uncertainty for the future - I know I need help... Gloomy Kitty Depression 1 04-19-2010 11:53 AM
    new...confused need help.... wolebearsnc Back Problems 8 04-18-2010 10:18 PM
    Help/Advice neededASAP -Fentanyl detox, pain pat. abused meds will need meds in futre Confused089 Abuse Support 34 07-06-2008 05:33 PM
    help me, i need motivation, a purpose... skyangel_4_ever Depression 7 04-30-2006 02:12 PM
    I need help with ativan withdrawl nomoreativan Addiction & Recovery 5 09-10-2001 05:07 AM




    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Search this Thread:

    Advanced Search

    Posting Rules
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is Off
    HTML code is On
    Trackbacks are Off
    Pingbacks are Off
    Refbacks are Off




    Sign Up Today!

    Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

    I want my free account

    All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:42 AM.





    © 2020 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved.
    Do not copy or redistribute in any form!