It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• I'm new here and I need some help...

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-15-2005, 10:11 PM   #31
    astrolifter
    Inactive
    (male)

astrolifter HB User
    Re: I'm new here and I need some help...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BeginAgain
    Gina,
    Try taking some motrin or advil (600 - 800mg) for your body aches. If your stomach is upset, try some immodium AD...you can get it over the counter. Hot baths help relax you. Sleep as much as you can. Tylenol PM or Benadryl might help with sleep. Is there anyone at all you can trust to talk to? It would really help alot if you had some support. We were all scared to death to tell anyone at first, but it's usually not as bad as you imagine it will be. In fact, you feel so much better once you've unloaded the "secret".
    You could go to the ER and tell them what is happening..they will help you. There is a prescription drug called clonidine. It's a blood pressure medication, but people swear by it for detox. It helps ease the symptoms so you can rest. Maybe if you go to the ER or an emergency walk in clinic somewhere and spill your guts you could get some help. Don't be afraid. It's never as bad as you imagine. Take a chance. What do you have to loose?
    There is help and hope on the other side of this. Even if the depression comes back, I'm sure it's treatable. In fact they can probably start you on something now and maybe it will kick in within a week or so.
    I am sorry you are hurting so bad. Please know you are not alone. We have been there and many of us have been there very recently. I promise, the grass really is greener on the other side. It is a hard road...but it will be worth it. Try to reach out to someone. A friend, family member, anyone at all? Most of the time while we are sitting around terrified to tell anyone about our problem, people around us know something is up anyway. Sometimes they've already figured it out..it might not be a great shock to them.
    Hang in there!! Yes it's rough..but this too shall pass. I wish I could reach out a hand to you and pull you up out of this desperation. Please, go get some help and let us know how you are. You are now part of the addiction recovery family and you will be thought about, prayed for and we will look forward to your updates & messages.
    Also, I don't know if this is a concern or not, but if you go to an ER and them the truth of what is going on, and your intense withdrawals, by law they have to help you! Opiate withdrawals are the worst!!! I was too was a slave to opiates for 4 years and just recently got out of rehab. I'm struggling right now, but it was the best decision I ever made. And I swore to myself hundreds of times that I would NEVER end up in rehab! But guess what? I just couldn't do it myself. God bless.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-15-2005, 11:55 PM   #32
    GinaMia
    (female)

GinaMia HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BeginAgain
    Gina,
    Try taking some motrin or advil (600 - 800mg) for your body aches. If your stomach is upset, try some immodium AD...you can get it over the counter. Hot baths help relax you. Sleep as much as you can. Tylenol PM or Benadryl might help with sleep. Is there anyone at all you can trust to talk to? It would really help alot if you had some support. We were all scared to death to tell anyone at first, but it's usually not as bad as you imagine it will be. In fact, you feel so much better once you've unloaded the "secret".
    You could go to the ER and tell them what is happening..they will help you. There is a prescription drug called clonidine. It's a blood pressure medication, but people swear by it for detox. It helps ease the symptoms so you can rest. Maybe if you go to the ER or an emergency walk in clinic somewhere and spill your guts you could get some help. Don't be afraid. It's never as bad as you imagine. Take a chance. What do you have to loose?
    There is help and hope on the other side of this. Even if the depression comes back, I'm sure it's treatable. In fact they can probably start you on something now and maybe it will kick in within a week or so.
    I am sorry you are hurting so bad. Please know you are not alone. We have been there and many of us have been there very recently. I promise, the grass really is greener on the other side. It is a hard road...but it will be worth it. Try to reach out to someone. A friend, family member, anyone at all? Most of the time while we are sitting around terrified to tell anyone about our problem, people around us know something is up anyway. Sometimes they've already figured it out..it might not be a great shock to them.
    Hang in there!! Yes it's rough..but this too shall pass. I wish I could reach out a hand to you and pull you up out of this desperation. Please, go get some help and let us know how you are. You are now part of the addiction recovery family and you will be thought about, prayed for and we will look forward to your updates & messages.
    BeginAgain,

I want to thank you for your compassion. You're a good person. Unfortunately and fortunately I have gotten some pills, I couldn't take the WD's anymore. I looked up the Dr.'s on the Sub website and called, but the offices are closed until Monday. Let me try and tell you a little bit about my story...

I've been on antidepressants/anti-anxieties most of my life. I'm on Zoloft and Xanax now. I was addicted to crank (methamphetamines) as a teenager. About 2 years ago, I had a dentist funk up my teeth and I had to take Vic for the pain. At first, I loved the euphoria, energy, etc., etc., etc. that Vic gave me. Next thing you know, I can't stop. I started out taking only 15 mg of hydro a day and now I take anywhere from 40 to 80 mg of hydro a day, (that's not the mg of Tylenol). I need more and more each day and I'm reaching the limit of 4,000 mg of Tylenol you can consume in a day.

This has been so hard. When trying to quit, I suffer from abdominal cramps/diarrhea, sweating, agitation, body aches and severe depression. I wouldn't wish this on an enemy.

Last edited by GinaMia; 10-15-2005 at 11:59 PM.

Old 10-16-2005, 04:29 AM   #33
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

Angel, just wanted to ask,do you know what your friends status is on the list,what she was placed at?Like '1a.2b....?my son went through liver failure six years ago,it was just this past oct7,that was the sixth anniversary of the day we found out that my(what we thought)then healthy son was actually down to only 20% of his liver function left.i got a phone call from his school nurse telling me she had him in her office because he had just vomited up a ton of blood.This is how WE found out my then 12 year old son was actually dying.i feel so bad for you and your friend.But just let me say that hopefully,she will be able to get a new liver soon,also,has she considered the possibility of using a live donor/My husband was going to donate part of his liver to our son and went through all the testing and had passed with flying colors and the date was set.Unfortunetly,my son was redxed with a different type of liver disease than the original Dxed one and was found to need an entire new liver including the billiary tree(with a live donor,they normally have to use the recipients own tree and just add the donated lobe)so at that point we were told that my son needed way more liver than my husband could possibly give so we had to go on 'the list".scarey,very scarey.but when he was like one step away from death(honestly,he was right there and one more baby step and we would not have him here today)he had been upped in status to 1a,which is the highest possible status and you go from regional(like your immediate five state surrounding area?) to national(nation wide listing)honest to god,within eight hours of that change in status,he got that life saving liver from a state that was like four states away.There IS hope for your friend,honestly.just make sure the hosp that she is in(I am just assuming that she is in the hosp and was not sent home yet at all,as some actually are?)is one that does a very high amount of transplants and had a specialized 'transplant center" as these types of hosps actually stand the best chance at getting organs first.don't know why but this does play out with the stats.i will say a prayer for your friend.People just do not appreciate the damage that can occur from the overuse of tylenol,honestly acetaminaphen toxicity happens much more often than you would think.it is also responsible for a very high amount of kidney damage and failure.

GINA, if you think of nothing else here,please look at this post as a BIG possibility that could be waiting for you if you do not stop using.this woman was taking doc Rxed meds for pain only and not abusing.This CAN and DOES happen to people evry single day.you can think that it will never happen to me,but honestly Gina, I never would have ever thought that at the young age of 12,my 'baby" would be needing a Tx because of some bizarre mutation of a gene.

His failure was not caused by meds,but it does show that this type of devistation can and does happen to some people for no apparent reason.it just 'does" some people are much more sensitive to the effects of tylenol on their body sysytems than others.you will not know if you are one of 'those" until it happens and it is too late in some cases to even be able to do anything.This COULD honestly be a big possibility if you do not give the quitting a good honest try.i am not telling you this because i love to torture people,really.i have been where you are,we all here have been or currently 'are' where you are.But I can tell you right now,unless you put your total heart and soul into this,you will fail.you have to really "want"it or it wont work.this IS the reality of addiction.The people who have answered your post,have given you some really great advice on just how to approach this,please read and take what applys to you and discard the rest.You really need to tell someone who you trust about your addiction and your plans to quit.Support is CRUCIAL,and I cannot tell you enough just how much that is true.whether it is a friend a relative or your doc,you have to tell someone.believe me, the thought of telling your little secret is very scarey but really,the support will be the key that will help you the most in the end.i personally would come clean with your doc.He/she is in the best position to offer you the best kind of help.i know it will be a very hard thing to do Gina,believe me,I have been there.but my doc was so very supportive and helpful.you may even check into doing in or out patient rehab.I did do out patient and that was the big thing that helped me the most with getting through therough spots and finally getting my life back.you really DO need to get this ball rolling asap.Aren't you just sick and tired of this ongoing roller coaster,and all that comes along for the ride?think of everything that you go through with regard to supplying your habit,everything.it is really rather exhausing when you really think of all that is actually involved in being an addict.I was a physical and emotional wreck by the time I finally decided that I had had enough.I had also just really hurt and devistated someone who I deeply cared about and that was just "it".

all we can do here for you quite honestly,is tell you our storys,give advice from our experiences,and just be here for you when you need to vent or just need some encouragement.The one thing though that we cannot do,is quit FOR you.that has to come from you,somewhere deep inside you is 'something" that is telling you it is time.you just need to put all the things in place here and make that final decision that only YOU can make.i wish you lots of luck in your journey.we are always open here,24/7.but just make up your mind that this just HAS TO be done,no excuses,or it will not work.sorry to be so harsh really,but you are dealing with a nasty nasty problem that has to be stopped or honestly,you WILL suffer for it in some way shape or form,and i am not just taliking about WDs.good luck and please keep us posted,Marcia

Old 10-16-2005, 04:57 AM   #34
    BeginAgain
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

BeginAgain HB User

Gina,
    You sound so much like me. That was exactly how much hydrocodone I was using daily when I stopped. I survived..you can do it too. I too am on zoloft for depression and anxiety. I am not taking xanax or any other benzo because I fear getting hooked on one more thing. I am learning to deal with the anxiety in other ways.
    The withdrawls you describe are the same I went through...and you can beat them. I can't make you want to stop..I can only tell you it is possible. Don't give up. Call the sub doctors on Monday and reach out for help. We will be here.

Old 10-16-2005, 09:42 PM   #35
    rob11662
    (male)

rob11662 HB User

Gina, Listen to all this great advice and go to a SUB Dr Monday morning!!! I was on 20 to 30 vicodins a day for 6 years and I went to the SUB Dr and was off them in a month!! I haven't used in 4 months and don't miss them at all! It was embaressing going to the Dr at first but I got over it.. You need to do it!!! Good luck!!!

Old 10-17-2005, 05:14 AM   #36
    goddessgrl65
    Senior Veteran

goddessgrl65 HB User

Gina..
    Yes..it sounds like a sub detox-would be great help to you/i was on maitainence-and just stopped so im getting off it now..from a sloooow taper(i mean slow)..but..the good news-its not bad..
    You can get on and come off in a week- a month-whatever.
    Luckily-you are not on a huge amount of vikes..(not to undermine your amount)-cos taken everyday the w/ds are awful nonetheless-its just that i know the sub will be an easy transisition.
    Sub is an amazing med-so many here have got off there DOC w/ the aid of sub.
    I hope you find this helpful-and whatever you deciede-i hear you..and kicking opiates is very emotional/heavy.
    But i have done it-every way you can come off-and the sub saved me..
    ggrl

Old 10-17-2005, 12:44 PM   #37
    GinaMia
    (female)

GinaMia HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rob11662
    Gina, Listen to all this great advice and go to a SUB Dr Monday morning!!! I was on 20 to 30 vicodins a day for 6 years and I went to the SUB Dr and was off them in a month!! I haven't used in 4 months and don't miss them at all! It was embaressing going to the Dr at first but I got over it.. You need to do it!!! Good luck!!!
    Unfortunately, I just called a sub office and explained my Vic addiction and they said, "Welp, sorry, can't help you, we're not taking new patients". That was a huge slap in the freakin face for me trying to get help for the very first time. Maybe I'll just go it alone. I mean, they didn't even offer any alternatives or offices that I could call. Whatever.

Last edited by GinaMia; 10-17-2005 at 12:45 PM.

Old 10-17-2005, 02:08 PM   #38
    GinaMia
    (female)

GinaMia HB User

Ok, I just called another sub office and the gal I spoke to was much more compassionate! The good news is they take new patients. The bad news is that it will cost $375 to detox and $400 for the first pallet implant. This is not including the fact that I'll have to purchase all the medications full price and we all know how much that can be. This will total about $900-$1,000 or possibly more depending on if I get another pallet implant. I'm wondering if I shouldn't just go it alone. Also, this doc won’t test your blood for any organ (liver) damage either. I'm out of pills again and I'm starting with the back & headaches. Soon, I'll be dealing with diarrhea. I'm torn. The gal was a real sweetheart and she warned me that I shouldn't go through my employer's insurance for addiction treatment because future insurance companies will black list me from mental/chemical issues for 10 years if I have to insure myself independently some day. I already use the mental part of my insurance now so technically I'd be screwed anyway. Any advice?

Last edited by GinaMia; 10-17-2005 at 02:10 PM.

Old 10-17-2005, 04:14 PM   #39
    rob11662
    (male)

rob11662 HB User

Just do it!! How much do you spend on pills now?? I bet it's more then the $1000 you will spend to get off them!! In the long run it will be a lot less.. You need to get off this stuff now while you want to!! The easy alternative is to go back to using but in the long run it will cost you much more then you will spend detoxing!!! No more excuses!!! Just do it!!!!

Old 10-17-2005, 04:17 PM   #40
    rob11662
    (male)

rob11662 HB User

Gina , What part of the country are you in?? I'm in the Southwest.. If you want help getting started , let me know!! Ok?? It's really all in your head.. It's not as hard as you think.. You just have to want to stop and you will!! Rob

Old 10-17-2005, 07:23 PM   #41
    TCHRIS
    Inactive
    (female)

TCHRIS HB User

Sorry to butt in on your thread, I have been reading and reading and reading and I am in the same boat, want to get of sooooooo bad....have already tapered down from about 700-800mg of OCs A DAY and now I am down to about 80mg, it has or should I say is kicking my butt, I have a intake appt somewhere tomorrow at a clinic for the other thing you can use to get off opitaes, not sure if i am allowed to say the M word on here and I am scared to get on that stuff in fear it will put me back in a worse boat then I am sinking in already, the Sub is very costlty where I am at also and I just lost evrything I have too and the up front money is what I cant come up with either..any advice on anything would be great....these boards are awsome, they really keep me going at home..thanks to all

Old 10-17-2005, 07:49 PM   #42
    Constant
    Inactive
    (female)

Constant HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TCHRIS
    Sorry to butt in on your thread, I have been reading and reading and reading and I am in the same boat, want to get of sooooooo bad....have already tapered down from about 700-800mg of OCs A DAY and now I am down to about 80mg, it has or should I say is kicking my butt, I have a intake appt somewhere tomorrow at a clinic for the other thing you can use to get off opitaes, not sure if i am allowed to say the M word on here and I am scared to get on that stuff in fear it will put me back in a worse boat then I am sinking in already, the Sub is very costlty where I am at also and I just lost evrything I have too and the up front money is what I cant come up with either..any advice on anything would be great....these boards are awsome, they really keep me going at home..thanks to all
    Welcome TCHRIS.

Please start a thread so we can make sure you don't get lost in the shuffle.

Old 10-17-2005, 08:06 PM   #43
    astrolifter
    Inactive
    (male)

astrolifter HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by GinaMia
    Ok, I just called another sub office and the gal I spoke to was much more compassionate! The good news is they take new patients. The bad news is that it will cost $375 to detox and $400 for the first pallet implant. This is not including the fact that I'll have to purchase all the medications full price and we all know how much that can be. This will total about $900-$1,000 or possibly more depending on if I get another pallet implant. I'm wondering if I shouldn't just go it alone. Also, this doc won’t test your blood for any organ (liver) damage either. I'm out of pills again and I'm starting with the back & headaches. Soon, I'll be dealing with diarrhea. I'm torn. The gal was a real sweetheart and she warned me that I shouldn't go through my employer's insurance for addiction treatment because future insurance companies will black list me from mental/chemical issues for 10 years if I have to insure myself independently some day. I already use the mental part of my insurance now so technically I'd be screwed anyway. Any advice?
    I believe you were misinformed, your medical records are confidental, and your confidentiality is protected by law. If your employer, doctor, or current insurance company disclosed your records to anybody, including another insurance company, without your written consent, then you could legally sue them and win big. I recently got out of rehab for opiate addiction, and blue cross covered me. My doctor wrote a note to my employer requesting a leave for me under the family medical leave act. The person that received that letter is the lady in human resources, she is the only person at my employment that knows the reason why I am taking leave, and nobody else will know unless I choose to tell them, not even my boss. If you get a chance, google search family medical leave act (FMLA), it may explain things better, its Federal Law!

Old 10-17-2005, 09:21 PM   #44
    Arememom
    Inactive
    (female)

Arememom HB User

Hey guys,

Astrolifter you are correct about the medical records with just a few exceptions. And one of them is - if you apply for Private Health Insurance you must sign a release for them to see all your medical records before they will tell you if they will insure you. Also, they can exclude anything they want and I can tell you from experience anything that has to do with Mental Illness ie depression, substance abuse they will exclude. Now if you go to work for a company and they provide your benefits, you do not have to provide medical records or get preapproval.

TCHRIS good for you. You've come a long way. Keep on going!!!!

GinaMia - Lots of us here for you. Good luck and hope you're feeling ok tonight.

Your friend,
    Arememom

Old 10-18-2005, 05:58 AM   #45
    JCS
    (male)

JCS HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by astrolifter
    Thats awesome JCS, just curious, how long do you think it took for your own natural endorphins to kick back in?
    It took about about 3 Month

Closed Thread