It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• I'm new here and I need some help...

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-14-2005, 09:43 PM   #1
    GinaMia
    (female)

GinaMia HB User
    I'm new here and I need some help...

I'm addicted to Vicodin and I know I NEED to stop. The problem is, I don't WANT to. I know, I know, you have to want to quit in order to quit. I get so ill when I try quitting and it's unbearable. I can't work or function. I'm desperate. I can never seem to "wean" or "taper" off. The monkey on my back is always screaming. Any detox remedies or advice? How about listing some reason's why I SHOULD stop. I feel like I'm such a better person on them...I'm happier, more confident, social, energetic, I could go on and on. Please, any kind words or advice would be deeply appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-14-2005, 09:59 PM   #2
    Constant
    Inactive
    (female)

Constant HB User
    Re: I'm new here and I need some help...

Read the threads on the board.

Not much anyone can say or do to convince you to stop. It just doesn't work that way.

Old 10-14-2005, 10:16 PM   #3
    GinaMia
    (female)

GinaMia HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Constant
    Read the threads on the board.

Not much anyone can say or do to convince you to stop. It just doesn't work that way.
    I don't want convincing, I know I need to stop. I just need encouragement. I'd like to know how it does work, not how it doesn't.

Last edited by GinaMia; 10-14-2005 at 10:18 PM.

Old 10-14-2005, 10:23 PM   #4
    madhatter
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

madhatter HB User

I had a friend who was addicted to pain pills. His everyday life revolved around pills.He couldn't do anything without them.For example- 3 days from now is my mothers suprise bday party,i only have 2 days worth of pills,wait-matt gets his refill in 3 days,kelly gets hers in 1 day,etc.. if my friend didn't have any pills,he couldn't do nothing! He didn't even make it to his friends wedding! Hell,he was even the best man! He used to travel to different e.r's to get them,then he got black listed.When peaple[friends,family] new he was comming over there house,they had to hide there meds.[if they had any] Read some of the threads here,this is no joke! You say you don't want to quit,well,why you here? Thats like a bald man asking for a haircut.

Old 10-14-2005, 10:26 PM   #5
    Constant
    Inactive
    (female)

Constant HB User

Re-read your intial post and then tell me exactly what it is anyone can say to encourage you. Really, what is it we can say that you don't already know?

Old 10-14-2005, 10:30 PM   #6
    GinaMia
    (female)

GinaMia HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by madhatter
    You say you don't want to quit,well,why you here? Thats like a bald man asking for a haircut.
    Because I need to, but can't seem to.

I'm reading a lot here but I was hoping for some advice on how to manage the WD's. It's the sole reason I joined. I didn't join to be asked why I'm here, just because I still crave the drug. Crave, want & need are all the same to me. It's getting through the physical pain of quitting.

Old 10-14-2005, 10:43 PM   #7
    Constant
    Inactive
    (female)

Constant HB User

There are many threads regarding withdrawal.

Have a read. Let us know if we can answer specific questions.

I'm off to bed for the night but will be back tomorrow.

Old 10-15-2005, 03:54 AM   #8
    Trying2B
    (male)

Trying2B HB UserTrying2B HB User

How Much And How Often Do You Take Them? How Long Have You Been Using? These Answers Will Help A Little In Knowing How Bad Your W/d Will Be.

Old 10-15-2005, 04:32 AM   #9
    BeginAgain
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

BeginAgain HB User

Gina,
    You must get off the fence on one side or the other. You know I was sick of feeling like I needed a pill or a handful of them just to function normally. Most of the time I didn't get that high euphoric feeling of well-being anymore. Also in reality when I look back, I thought I was more fun, was more energetic, was more productive, was happier...it's all an illusion I can assure you. If you aren't there yet you will be. What I really became was moody, sick and obsessive. I isolated, my whole world revolved around getting more pills. If I didn't have them I couldn't function and I felt like crap.
    Freedom is much better. Yes it takes some work to get there. The withdrawls are manageable usually with over the counter drugs and natural supplements. The biggest part is emotional and mental and you won't survive that part unless you have the burning desire to stop and be rid of your addiction. You must be as dedicated to stop and stay off the pills no matter what, as you were to getting more pills. The bottom line is you make a choice...we all have one. I could pick up today if I wanted to, but for what? In a few days I'd be right back where I started or worse. No thanks...for now I choose not to use.
    One final piece of advice for reflection...if you think this will get better on it's own, think again. You WILL keep spiraling downward....eventually you must face the addiction head on. I guarantee you, you WILL NOT be able to keep taking the pills forever. At some point your tolerance and need for the drug WILL exceed the supply. Then what? What might you loose on the way down? Your self respect, a loved one, your job or career, your family, your money, maybe even your life?

Last edited by BeginAgain; 10-15-2005 at 04:34 AM.

Old 10-15-2005, 08:39 AM   #10
    JCS
    (male)

JCS HB User

I was hooked on vicodin for a couple of years..........I felt so good all the time I was doing 15 to 20 a day......and I spent so much money

This is how it went for me:

1st ....... I had so much fun with them

2nd.......I had fun with problems

3rd........Nothing but problems

When I could not take it anymore I went to the ER and they took care of me
    I have been clean 10 month now and it feels great..........If you want to hear my whole story let me know

GOOD LUCK
    JCS

Old 10-15-2005, 09:56 AM   #11
    Arememom
    Inactive
    (female)

Arememom HB User

Hi GinaMia,

You have taken a good step, by coming to this board. Read, read, read. I am also in a 12 step program and learned this which applies here. Take what you want and leave the rest. Gather all your information and make a plan. Do you want to taper? Do you want to go cold turkey? Do you want to use sub? Tell us what you want. It can change from day to day.

I can tell you from reading/posting on this board for the last 58 days (that's how many days I have been clean ) that the physical part is terrible for some. But it only last for a couple of weeks. Compare that to how long you have felt so bad in your addiction. The harder part is once your physically clean, working on the mental part that got us here in the first place. That's the harder part and if you don't work on it, it will pull you back down that road. Hope you have a good day.

Your friend,
    Arememom

We'll be here for you. We'll help you along the way if we can. Remember, we all were exactly where you are today. Some of us were there not too long ago. There are folks detoxing/cold turkey this weekend actually.

Old 10-15-2005, 10:41 AM   #12
    bluejulie5
    Veteran

bluejulie5 HB User

Interesting. I have never had anyone ask ME to list the reasons why
    THEY need to stop the pain pills:

Girl, that is something that only YOU know.
    We dont know what is in your life, only YOU.

I do know that you will increase your dosage, and spend tons of
    money, and lie and steal to get them , however you can, if you
    dont just stop now.

We all know how it feels to be an addict. You dear are an addict.

I found a dr. who put me on methadone.
    that is how I eventually quit.

GET HELP NOW> GO TO A DR>

Old 10-15-2005, 01:58 PM   #13
    oxyslave
    (female)

oxyslave HB User

i to am new here. i came here a few days ago to get some advise, and some words of encouragement. a year ago i celebrated 3 years clean from heroin. in that same week, i started abusing oxycontin, and have used everday since. i don't usually post, but i felt the need to reply to you because i have been where you are, twice. right now the pills are still giving you a false sense of security. that is one thing that as addicts, keeps us coming back for more. but please believe that all those good feelings will soon be replaced with feelings that are exactly the opposite. helplessness,hopelessness, pain, fear, and isolation are just a few of the feelings you will have if you do not stop traveling this road of destruction. most often as addicts we have to hit bottom before wanting to get clean. each time we return to active addiction bottom gets lower and lower, and each time it gets harder and harder to get back up. there really is nothing anyone can say to make you stop using. my advice for you though, is to take a good look at yourself, your family, and all things good you have going for yourself. because soon you will no longer know who you are, your family will no longer know you, and all those good things will be gone. it may sound harsh, but you will become just a shell of the person you were before those pills took over your life. all the terrible things you think you will never do for drugs, you will do. i could go on and on........ the bottom line is, it's just not worth it.

Old 10-15-2005, 02:40 PM   #14
    oxyslave
    (female)

oxyslave HB User

hey girl it's me again. i just wanted to say that maybe you should look into sub or methadone. from my understanding even if you try to use while on either one, you will not get high. also, you will not have to go through the physical pain of wd. just a thought.

Old 10-15-2005, 03:29 PM   #15
    GinaMia
    (female)

GinaMia HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by oxyslave
    hey girl it's me again. i just wanted to say that maybe you should look into sub or methadone. from my understanding even if you try to use while on either one, you will not get high. also, you will not have to go through the physical pain of wd. just a thought.
    What's "sub" and how do I go about getting methadone? I'm afraid to go to a doctor. I woke up at 8:00 AM this morning to take my last tiny supply and I haven't been out of bed until now, it's 3:30 PM! I feel like a piece of dog doodoo and that's putting it nicely. I appreciate all the kind words and encouragement. The truth is, I'm having to take more and more to get a small high and sometimes I can't get high at all.

Last edited by GinaMia; 10-15-2005 at 03:40 PM.

Closed Thread