It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• Recovering & Withdrawl: Herbal Remedies

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-18-2005, 04:08 PM   #1
    keepongrowing
    (female)

keepongrowing HB User
    Recovering & Withdrawl: Herbal Remedies

Hi-

I am one of the people who has been using Nutracleanse and finding it extremely helpful. BeginAgain thank you so much for your thoughtfulness and informative post today. I will definitely take that into consideration. Anyway...the helpfulness of it got me doing some investigation of my own and I wanted to share some info for what it is worth. There are a couple of vitamin supplements which seem to be helpful with the issues relating to addiction. A lot of this is speculative at this point but none of these supplements seem to be harmful or dangerous, are all easily available and legal!

Here is what I found out:

1) L-Tyrosine is an amino acid that is the precursor of the neurotransmitters dopamine, norepinephrine and adrenaline. This amino acid is thought to be helpful with mood elevation, reducing withdrawl symptoms, improving depression, reducing anxiety and increasing energy without feeling stimulated. The recommended dose is 1-3 times per day/500mgs. This is reportedly the active ingredient in NC. This actually makes sense to me because I have taken LTyrosine before and the effects feel similiar.

2) GABA is an amino acid that is responsible for the brain's natural calming agent. This can reportedly help with decreasing anxiety and cravings.

3) L-Phenylalanine is also an amino acid and is related to mood elevation and the reduction of withdrawl symptoms. The recommended dose is 500mgs 1-3x per day.

4) Vitamin C can help with detoxification and reducing cravings.

All of these are available in any healthfood store. I have started taking all of them and feel pretty good but of course it is difficult to know which ones are the most helpful and how much is a placebo affect or the power of suggestion. The L-Tyrosine definitely seems to help a lot and has made a noticiable difference, the others it is too soon to tell. I just want to say that I am not a Dr or chemist etc just someone who wanted to pass on something that might be helpful to someone else. This is one thing I love about the board concept is the ability to share and learn so much info from so many sources.

Good Luck and I would love to hear about other's experiences with herbal supplement or other "natural" treatments.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-19-2005, 06:23 AM   #2
    astrolifter
    Inactive
    (male)

astrolifter HB User
    Re: Recovering & Withdrawl: Herbal Remedies

Quote:
    Originally Posted by keepongrowing
    Hi-

I am one of the people who has been using Nutracleanse and finding it extremely helpful. BeginAgain thank you so much for your thoughtfulness and informative post today. I will definitely take that into consideration. Anyway...the helpfulness of it got me doing some investigation of my own and I wanted to share some info for what it is worth. There are a couple of vitamin supplements which seem to be helpful with the issues relating to addiction. A lot of this is speculative at this point but none of these supplements seem to be harmful or dangerous, are all easily available and legal!

Here is what I found out:

1) L-Tyrosine is an amino acid that is the precursor of the neurotransmitters dopamine, norepinephrine and adrenaline. This amino acid is thought to be helpful with mood elevation, reducing withdrawl symptoms, improving depression, reducing anxiety and increasing energy without feeling stimulated. The recommended dose is 1-3 times per day/500mgs. This is reportedly the active ingredient in NC. This actually makes sense to me because I have taken LTyrosine before and the effects feel similiar.

2) GABA is an amino acid that is responsible for the brain's natural calming agent. This can reportedly help with decreasing anxiety and cravings.

3) L-Phenylalanine is also an amino acid and is related to mood elevation and the reduction of withdrawl symptoms. The recommended dose is 500mgs 1-3x per day.

4) Vitamin C can help with detoxification and reducing cravings.

All of these are available in any healthfood store. I have started taking all of them and feel pretty good but of course it is difficult to know which ones are the most helpful and how much is a placebo affect or the power of suggestion. The L-Tyrosine definitely seems to help a lot and has made a noticiable difference, the others it is too soon to tell. I just want to say that I am not a Dr or chemist etc just someone who wanted to pass on something that might be helpful to someone else. This is one thing I love about the board concept is the ability to share and learn so much info from so many sources.

Good Luck and I would love to hear about other's experiences with herbal supplement or other "natural" treatments.
    I think the Tyrosine works great, but I wouldn't recommend taking it until after one has been clean at least a month from opiates. The reason being, when you are going through opiate withdrawal, your brain is overly-flooded with norepinephrine, which is responsible for a lot of the nasty withdrawal symptoms such as sweating, anxiety, sleeplessness, restless leg..Etc. The reason for the over flooding of norepinephrine and adrenaline is because the opiates one abused suppressed their production in the locus coreleus portion of the brain. As a result of abusing the opiates, the brain increases its production and subsequent receptors for the brain chemical. Then, when one abruptly stops taking the opiate(s), the brain continues to overproduce these chemicals for quite some time, this is the withdrawal phase. Slowly, but surely, the brain will re-adjust itself and eventually normalize, depending, of course, on the amount of opiates, and length of time the abuser was using.

Here is a link for a scientifically controlled study on the effects of the herb Passionflower in the treatment of opiates withdrawal in a double blind randomized controlled trial. Copy and paste it if you'd like, I found it quite interesting, take care.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=11679027&itool=iconabstr&query_hl=1

Last edited by astrolifter; 10-19-2005 at 06:26 AM.

Old 10-20-2005, 07:45 AM   #3
    kychyck
    (female)

kychyck HB User

Hello everyone...I have been clean for 11 days now (hydro addiction).The pain from w/d are mostly gone but I am so weak and I have absolutely no energy.I have a hard time just moving off of my bed.I take Paxil and my Psyc. just started me on impramine.I really want to try the L-Tyrosine but I am afraid it will react with my other meds.If anyone has any advise at all about getting your energy back please reply.I am desperate for help.

Old 10-20-2005, 11:47 AM   #4
    BeginAgain
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

BeginAgain HB User

astrolifter...you should be a scientist or a chemist or something...your posts are always so indepth and you seem to be great at research!!

Old 10-20-2005, 12:11 PM   #5
    BeginAgain
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

BeginAgain HB User

Also...for whatever it's worth I am starting on Melatonin 3mg taken 1 hour before bedtime for insomnia issues. Melatonin is a supplement that can be bought at almost any pharmacy or supplement store. It was recommended by my therapist. I'm told by others who have used it and my internet research that it really works and helps reset that messed up sleep pattern. Hope they are right!

Last edited by BeginAgain; 10-20-2005 at 12:12 PM.

Old 10-20-2005, 01:51 PM   #6
    kychyck
    (female)

kychyck HB User

Thank you astrolifter for taking your time to help me.I will stop taking the impramine.I have been taking paxil for several years now and everytime I try to stop I have a major anxiety attack and I end up in the ER.Paxil w/d's are aweful.I bought me some L-tyrosine today and I am praying that it works.Again...thankyou.

Old 10-20-2005, 04:30 PM   #7
    kychyck
    (female)

kychyck HB User

Thankyou to everyone.I was in detox for 4 days.They save me a lot of meds and vitamins and that really helped my w/d's.Now that I have gotten past that I have to work on one day at a time.I had an appointment with my reg. doctor today and told them everything.They did an EKG and took a lot of blood.She did not give me anything for lethargy.Have to wait for the blood work...but for this moment I am feeling slightly better.I will not be taking any more impramine(Tofranil).I will keep in touch.Take care everyone.Hugs to all.

Old 10-21-2005, 04:28 AM   #8
    astrolifter
    Inactive
    (male)

astrolifter HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kychyck
    Thank you astrolifter for taking your time to help me.I will stop taking the impramine.I have been taking paxil for several years now and everytime I try to stop I have a major anxiety attack and I end up in the ER.Paxil w/d's are aweful.I bought me some L-tyrosine today and I am praying that it works.Again...thankyou.

I'm more then happy to help, anytime!

Also, paxil withdrawal is often best treated with another SSRI called Prozac. Prozac, which works very similar to paxil, has a very long half life, something like 9.3 days I read. I would ask your doctor about it and also ask him to prescribe it to you in the liquid form. That way, you can do a slow, relatively painless taper.

BTW-There have been a lot of class-action lawsuits filed on behalf of patients treated with paxil, because they were completely unaware of the severity of the withdrawal syndrome when coming off it. Have you noticed that you don't see any more tv commericals promoting paxil anymore? Now zoloft is their new SSRI drug they're pushing. Take care.

Old 10-21-2005, 07:21 PM   #9
    kychyck
    (female)

kychyck HB User

Day 12 of my recovery from hydro addiction and I can not believe how much better I feel.I did not take impramine yesterday and I started taking L-tyresine.This has been my best day so far.I really think that I will be able to make it.I have even been able to smile and laugh today !

Closed Thread