It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• Trying to taper off hydrocodone

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-26-2005, 06:32 AM   #1
    Pamela20
    (female)

Pamela20 HB User
    Trying to taper off hydrocodone

Hi, Has anyone ever tried to taper off hydro and have done it successfully? I'm taking about 70mg off hydrocodone aday and really want off of them they are destroying my life.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-26-2005, 08:14 AM   #2
    Pamela20
    (female)

Pamela20 HB User
    Re: Trying to taper off hydrocodone

Could someone please help me

Old 10-26-2005, 08:27 AM   #3
    BeginAgain
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

BeginAgain HB User

Just saw your post. I have been off Hydrocodone now for around 40 days. It isn't easy. Are you addicted? Are you taking as prescribed? Do you have legitimate pain issues? How long have you been taking them?

Please elaborate some on your situation and I will do what I can to help advise based on my own experience. Your dose it not terribly high. I've seen much worse, but it can still be very difficult physically and emptionally to let go of that crutch. I'll be watching for your response.

Old 10-26-2005, 11:17 AM   #4
    Pamela20
    (female)

Pamela20 HB User

Hi, sorry i did not give you the details, i am taking norco 10/325 around 70 mg a day i usually take 2 pills 3 or 4 times daily and they are getting really expensive and not only that i feel like they consume my every waking hour and i really really want to quit them so if you could give me a little help on how to taper them i would really appreciate it.
    Thanks Pam I forgot they have been prescribed to me for pain but i really think i could get by without taking them.

Old 10-26-2005, 11:55 AM   #5
    BeginAgain
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

BeginAgain HB User

Great..I just typed a very detailed response..somehow zap it's gone...so I'll try again.

You didn't say if you thought you were an addict and you didn't say how long you had been using. I recently stopped a 60 - 95 mg per day habit of Lortab (hydrocodone & tylenol). I tried to taper many times with professional help. I could not do it. If I had access..I took them and then expended much energy finding ways to get more more more. Full steam ahead.

I went cold turkey from a dose of about 50 - 60 mg a day which is as low as I ever got. I just stopped. It is tough. The physical withdrawl is like a case of the flu. The worst physically is the first 3-4 days, oh but then the emotional demons and the cravings begin and for me this was the toughest part. I am at about 40 days clean and the cravings still kick my butt on a regular basis. They can go on for years...and can reappear unexpectedly. In the last two days, I am just beginning to feel like I can do this and I am really FINISHED.

Everyone will have different suggestions. Take what you can use and leave the rest. Whether you taper or cold turkey...you will have some discomfort. When I was trying to taper I felt sick every single time I had to drop a few milligrams..in the end cold turkey was easier because I just got it over with instead of feeling bad physically over and over again.

Here are some suggestions simply based on my experience:
    Advil for body aches and headaches
    Hot baths - plenty of them
    Valium - 5mg for anxiety and sleep (limit to first 2-3 days ONLY)
    Immodium for stomach symptoms
    Gatorade or similar - keep hydrated
    Eat small amounts when tolerable to keep stregnth
    Rest if possible..naps when able
    Get outside some...get a little sun on your face..walk around
    Keep yourself occupied - movies, books
    Multivitamin
    Talk to others who have been there - this board is a start
    Consider NA meetings or support group of peers who can lend support and encouragement - do not discount the value of this - you cannot believe how helpful it is

Once through the physical part...the support group can be even more helpful because this is when the true battle begins. The cravings can last days, months and I've heard years. I am living proof they can sneak up on you. I had almost 11 years clean from an opiate addiction before this relapse. Don't get me wrong..taking the pills was a CHOICE..we all have one...but I was not expecting to end up where I am now. Do we ever?

Just a few personal suggestions. You will hear others. As I said take what you can use and leave the rest. But bear one thing in mind...you must be brutally honest with yourself and others. It is so easy to deceive yourself.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

Old 10-26-2005, 12:00 PM   #6
    Pamela20
    (female)

Pamela20 HB User

yes i do think i'm addicted i like the high i get off them except now i don't get the high that much anymore. Iv'e been taking them for almost 3 years and it has been taking a toll on me. So you think cold turkey is the way to go?

Old 10-26-2005, 12:19 PM   #7
    Pamela20
    (female)

Pamela20 HB User

Thanks Dave, i will look into that. Thank you also beginagain you have helped a great deal. I think i will give the taper a try first and if that don't work i will try the suboxone. Do you think like i could take like 5 pills the first week and then the following week cut down to 4 and so on so forth. Thanks again guys for the help.
    Pam

Old 10-26-2005, 12:26 PM   #8
    BeginAgain
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

BeginAgain HB User

Pamela..like I said you'll hear lots of suggestions. Investigate and make up your own mind. Cold turkey was the way for me, but might not be for everyone. It is unfomfortable and you'll need support. Do you have anyone you can open up to at home or in your family for support? Once the "secret" is out it helps ease the burden and for me helped keep me accountable.

Suboxone has it's success stories and I think it's a wonderful thing if you can't taper or go cold turkey. One suggestion might be to discuss openly with your doctor and ask for help. Or find an addictionologist in your area and go there for help. They can medically advise you probably better than any of us here. We are strictly speaking from a peer support standpoint..we've been there. I do agree Methadone would probably not be an option to consider..way too strong for your addiction.

Whatever you decide, we will be here. You have to do what feels right and manageable for you. If you are going to go cold turkey I suggest getting as low as you can in a few days and then jump off and just get through it. But, end your sources before you do so you are not tempted to get more when the going gets a little tough.

Last edited by BeginAgain; 10-26-2005 at 12:26 PM.

Old 10-26-2005, 12:38 PM   #9
    Pamela20
    (female)

Pamela20 HB User

Thanks so much i will keep you posted on how i'm doing. Wish me luck.
    Pam

Old 10-26-2005, 04:00 PM   #10
    valleygurl
    Inactive
    (female)

valleygurl HB User

Hi Pam,

As i am sure you have already found out, you have come to a great place for advice and support!!!!!!

If you would like a taper guideline i would be happy to help you out!
    My primary physician wrote me out a taper plan and i must say it was a slow and doable taper. I see you wrote that you normally take 2 pills at a time........if you tell me your approx. scheduled times of the day (and how many times a day) that you take your doses of pills i will be able to write you out a taper that will fit your schedule. If you have the total want and will power to get off these pills, i can guarantee that this taper plan will help to get you off these pills with the least amount of discomfort!

Talk to you soon!
    ValleyGurl

Old 10-27-2005, 09:40 AM   #11
    Pamela20
    (female)

Pamela20 HB User

Thank you so much all of you . You have been a real inspiration for me. I am going to give it all i got i know i can do this. I usually take my first dose about a half hour after i get up which is 2 pills then i take 2 more every 4 hours and by 5:00pm. i don't take anymore. This mourning i took 2 pills at 7:00 am and it is almost 12:00 noon i have'nt taken anymore yet i am trying to wait as long as i can in between. yesterday i only took 5 pills which is 50 mg. So should i stay on 5 pills for a couple of days? Then go down to 4 and a half for a couple and so on and so fourth? Again thank you for helping me.
    Pam

Last edited by Pamela20; 10-27-2005 at 10:05 AM.

Old 10-27-2005, 12:03 PM   #12
    Pamela20
    (female)

Pamela20 HB User

Thanks Phil, It sometimes feels like you need the motivation from people i know you guys have given me that. And yes i am so ready to do this so far so good iv'e been trying to keep myself real busy taking the dog for a long walk seems to help. You know i was to the point where i was feeling so lousy taking these damm pills all the time that i said why take them if i'm going to feel this way. Anyway i will keep all of you updated on how i'm doing. Thank you so much all of you for being here for me.
    Pam

Old 10-27-2005, 12:41 PM   #13
    BeginAgain
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

BeginAgain HB User

Yes Pamela..keeping busy helps the mind and soul. Nothing like a little love from your puppy to perk up a little. I love my animals almost as much as my kids. Read, walk, watch movies, talk to friends, reach out for support, do research, nap..do whatever you can to ease the transition. Keep moving forward. You are doing great! I also recommend NA meetings..look for local ones in your area. The support and understanding is wonderful. People who really understand where you are and where you are headed. Even if you go and just sit by the door and listen...it can be a great source of inspiration.

Old 10-27-2005, 12:58 PM   #14
    Pamela20
    (female)

Pamela20 HB User

Thanks BeginAgain, I will look around and go to some meetings i will do what i have to do to stay away from these evil things iv'e gotton to the point where i hate what they have been doing to me. You know all the pill counting and and waiting for the next dose and so on and so forth. Again thank you so much for the support it really does help. Today is only the 2nd day so keep your fingers crossed for me. I'm really determined to do this.
    Pam

Old 10-27-2005, 06:04 PM   #15
    BeginAgain
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

BeginAgain HB User

I do know exactly what you mean about the pills controling your life and you are right. We go to any legnths to get our drugs we must also go to any legnths to get clean.

Closed Thread