It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• dual diagnosis

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-26-2005, 04:55 PM   #1
    cgable63
    (female)

cgable63 HB User
    dual diagnosis

hi,
    just wondering if anyone out there has dual diagnosis...for example - i'm a recovering addict, and i'm also diagnosed with bipolar/borderline personality disorder...not pleasant, i assure you...sometimes i feel incredibly alone in all of this - i know i'm not, but it feels that way nonetheless...so, if anyone else out there has dual diagnosis - i'd love to hear from you...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-26-2005, 05:46 PM   #2
    KAOSAZURE
    (female)

KAOSAZURE HB User
    Cool Re: dual diagnosis

i too am a recovering addict with bpd and bipolor. i wonder i my addiction is what brought about my mental problems. iv been clean 9 months but im on several meds for my bipolor. they say i was self medicating. have you had a simular situation?

Old 10-26-2005, 08:55 PM   #3
    feelinglost
    (female)

feelinglost HB User
    Re: dual diagnosis

My bf is bp and an addict. He started out drinking and partying all the time and that led to trying some different kinds of drugs. Well, once he tried cocaine that was it....it didn't take long to become an addict. He is in recovery now, but it has only be two weeks. He is taking Lamictal for his bp, but is seeing a tdoc next week because it is not enough...it has helped but I think he also needs something for anxiety. He has just recently opened up and talked to me a lot about how he feels when he is having an episode. My heart really does go out to people that suffer from this illness. I can't imagine what you go through......I can see how one would try to self medicate to make themselves feel better. Trying to battle both the illness and the addiction at the same time is so overwhelming for my bf...it really does break my heart. A great website to learn some really good information about bp, which is written by a woman that suffers from bi-polar is bipolarhappens.com ~ Best of luck to both of you!!!

Closed Thread