It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• Xanax And Ambien Help Please

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-28-2005, 07:27 PM   #1
    rk33
    (male)

rk33 HB User
    Xanax And Ambien Help Please

I stared in late July stopping a very heavy Ultram and Vicodin problem and have stopped them comepletely, this in its self was living He//. My Dr had to put me on Xanax and Ambien because of the Tramadol effects parts of the brain that causes anxiety. I only take .25mg of Xanax 2 twice a day and 10 mg Ambien at night but my body gose into panic mode without it, I have actually been on the Ambien for about 8 months due to working rotating shifts at work. Can anyone give any good advice. The last thing I wanted to do was trade one drug for another. I actually hate taking them its just that they make me feal more normal. My gut fealing is that the Ambien is more of a problem, Please Help.
    PS, My wife tells me I have a new addiction also and its "Healthboards" I think its a good one though.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-29-2005, 02:55 PM   #2
    rk33
    (male)

rk33 HB User
    Re: Xanax And Ambien Help Please

Also does Ambien and Xanax withdrawl timelines about the same.

Old 10-29-2005, 03:07 PM   #3
    BeginAgain
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

BeginAgain HB User

I'm sorry you haven't gotten any replies yet. I just wanted to tell you it's sometimes slow here on the weekends. I really don't know much about Xanax & Ambien withdrawl. I am almost positive Xanax shouldn't be stopped cold turkey and must be tapered but I wouldn't know where to begin to help you.
    Have you tried to look up prescribing information for these drugs on the internet? OR maybe through the Anxiety link on the board? Many times you can find alot of info that way. Hang in there..hopefully someone will answer soon. I know I haven't been very helpful, just didn't want you to get discouraged.

Old 10-29-2005, 03:23 PM   #4
    rk33
    (male)

rk33 HB User

Thank You, I will do some more searching

Old 10-29-2005, 07:03 PM   #5
    attheendofmyrope
    (female)

attheendofmyrope HB User

Xanax can cause seizures when stopped cold turkey but that is a pretty low dosage that you're on, it shouldnt be that hard to get off of that. some people I know take up to 10mg a day (and that is their prescribed dosage!)

With the Ambien, I would suggest you talk to your doctor about switching to the new sleep med called Lunesta. I am on that one and it is NOT addictive.

I am 12 days clean from addiction to Ultram, Vicodin, and Darvocet. It is really hard. I still crave the Ultram the most.

Good luck
    Staci

Old 10-29-2005, 10:14 PM   #6
    tina76
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tina76 HB User

Hi rk33. I don't know too much on either drug. I did look into Ambien on the sleeping disorder board on this website though. I had a friend that was thinking about asking her doc to try it. From what i read over there I told her she might want to look into something else. I am guessing that you would agree? Attheendofmyrope suggested Lunesta for sleep and I have heard from a friend that it works great for her. My doctor actually prescribed 50mg a night of Trazadone for me to help me sleep when I need it. I have battled insomnia for years, long before I ever had my chronic pain prob and started the pain meds. Did you have trouble sleeping prior to your addiction?

By the way, CONGRATS! On stopping the pain pill problem. That is wonderful. I am pretty new to this board and everyone on it is really great to talk to! I had canceled my home internet a couple of months ago because I never used it as I am always on at work M-F. Well, I had to re-sign up last night because I too have developed an addicton to Healthboards! I guess this is the first addiction I haven't had to worry about! Good luck!

Old 10-29-2005, 10:59 PM   #7
    Arememom
    Inactive
    (female)

Arememom HB User

Hey rk33,

You are on a low dose of Xanax. It can be very addictive. But unfortunately you suffer from panic attacks. Fortunately Xanax is a drug that works within a short period of time and can be taken as needed. If that is something you are able to do. It is very addictive, so be careful.

I didn't know anything about Lunesta, so I researched it. It doesn't say anything about addiction issues, but it does say you must wean yourself off of it. If you stop taking it abruptly, you will have rebound insominia for
    3-4 days.

My physician prescribed me Ambien short term over the years and he said he doesn't want patients to take it long term. Ambien works well for me when I have to take it, which is rarely.

Have you tried Tylenol PM in the past, that also works well for me.

There is also a natural horomone the body produces call Melatonin. You can buy "Melatonin" over the counter as a natural horomone in the vitamin/herb section at drug stores/health food stores. It works well for some folks also and it's not addictive. You can read up on in online.

I too am addicted to this message board. It has alot of great people here, who are very supportive and more than willing to give their opinions on everything (just like me. lol ). Hope you have a good night. I'm the night owl and post alot late at night and usually after lunch during the day.

Old 10-30-2005, 10:22 AM   #8
    sk777
    Veteran
    (female)

sk777 HB User

I'm currently battling w/ Ambien addiction. Traded in the hydro addiction for Ambien (which, like you, I started to help cope w/ the hydro withdrawal). First time I went off Ambien it was 2 nights of no sleep. The next time (longer and heavier usage) was 3 nights no sleep and 5 days of feeling anxious, depressed and nauseated. I keep putting this off now.

About the Lunesta, I think we addicts can get addicted to just about anything, especially something that is serving as a temporary crutch to get us off something else.

I do take benzos (ativan) once in a while, I'm terrified of their addictive properties and I think that has kept me from getting hooked on those (as if rational has anything to do with this).

I think because you have a doctor who is helping you through this, you are at an advantage. And maybe you don't have an addiction to Ambien, but anyone who says it isn't addictive hasn't been addicted to it. I'm here to tell you it is and I am. I wish you all the strength to get through this.

Old 10-30-2005, 01:39 PM   #9
    rk33
    (male)

rk33 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sk777
    I'm currently battling w/ Ambien addiction. Traded in the hydro addiction for Ambien (which, like you, I started to help cope w/ the hydro withdrawal). First time I went off Ambien it was 2 nights of no sleep. The next time (longer and heavier usage) was 3 nights no sleep and 5 days of feeling anxious, depressed and nauseated. I keep putting this off now.

About the Lunesta, I think we addicts can get addicted to just about anything, especially something that is serving as a temporary crutch to get us off something else.

I do take benzos (ativan) once in a while, I'm terrified of their addictive properties and I think that has kept me from getting hooked on those (as if rational has anything to do with this).

I think because you have a doctor who is helping you through this, you are at an advantage. And maybe you don't have an addiction to Ambien, but anyone who says it isn't addictive hasn't been addicted to it. I'm here to tell you it is and I am. I wish you all the strength to get through this.

How much Ambien do you have to take to get to sleep?

Old 10-30-2005, 01:45 PM   #10
    rk33
    (male)

rk33 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by attheendofmyrope
    Xanax can cause seizures when stopped cold turkey but that is a pretty low dosage that you're on, it shouldnt be that hard to get off of that. some people I know take up to 10mg a day (and that is their prescribed dosage!)

With the Ambien, I would suggest you talk to your doctor about switching to the new sleep med called Lunesta. I am on that one and it is NOT addictive.

I am 12 days clean from addiction to Ultram, Vicodin, and Darvocet. It is really hard. I still crave the Ultram the most.

Good luck
    Staci
    How much Ultram were you taking, I myself will never go through the pain w/drawing from Ultram again. It was 100 times worse than the Hydros., Kev

Old 10-30-2005, 01:50 PM   #11
    Vickyuser
    (female)

Vickyuser HB User

Hi
    Lunesta is not supose to be habit forming but I couldn't take it for very long as it gave me terrible stomache aches and a really metalic taste in my mouth.
    I tapered off Vicodin and Ultram and was still taking Ambien. I then had to taper off Ambien. I have always had trouble sleeping but since going off of Ambien my body is adjusting and Tylenol PM is actually working. At 27 days I am feeling more normal. 2 years ago I tapered off Xanax. It is very habit forming and addictive. Make sure you let your Dr. know if you want to get off of it. He will be able to advise you on the best way. As someone else said on this board going cold turkey can cause seizures. Best of luck to you. Hope this helped.

Yours,
    Vickyuser

Old 10-30-2005, 01:55 PM   #12
    rk33
    (male)

rk33 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Vickyuser
    Hi
    Lunesta is not supose to be habit forming but I couldn't take it for very long as it gave me terrible stomache aches and a really metalic taste in my mouth.
    I tapered off Vicodin and Ultram and was still taking Ambien. I then had to taper off Ambien. I have always had trouble sleeping but since going off of Ambien my body is adjusting and Tylenol PM is actually working. At 27 days I am feeling more normal. 2 years ago I tapered off Xanax. It is very habit forming and addictive. Make sure you let your Dr. know if you want to get off of it. He will be able to advise you on the best way. As someone else said on this board going cold turkey can cause seizures. Best of luck to you. Hope this helped.

Yours,
    Vickyuser

What kind of taper did you do with the ambien and what symptons did you have, Kev

Old 10-30-2005, 06:22 PM   #13
    TCHRIS
    Inactive
    (female)

TCHRIS HB User

I am tellin you from experience from someone that works in the medical field that comming off Xanax cold turkey without some kind of supervision is very very lethal........I am not saying it CANT be done, what I am syaing is ....I have seen a MANY of people detox and I can promise you that people who are comming cold turkey off of a heroin addiction are more likely to make it then someone comming off of a cold turkey Xanax problem..........Benzos are NOTHING to mess with,,,,,,,,they pull you in quick and let you go even quicker. I myself have never had a problem with Benzos, I get myself into enough trouble with other pills and find all kinds of ways to find trouble that way and have never liked the feeling they give me thank goodness, because who knows what grave yard I would be in right now,if you guys use anything like i did, i certainly never liked to leave anything for spare......so.what i am saying is please please listen to what you hear about benzos they are nothing to play with they will put you into a seziure....at least tell somone what you are doing so if anything did happen they would be able to let someone know....try and titrate as much as yu can or find help from a dr or anyone..keep up the good work..you can do this i dont mean t o scare you but the benzos are no joke when you come down from them.....you have come to far to let a detox screw you up......keep posting,,

Old 10-30-2005, 06:34 PM   #14
    Vickyuser
    (female)

Vickyuser HB User

Kev,
    I tapered from taking 10mg 3-4 times a day to 10mg at night and then none. Did you mean symptoms from WD. I had the same withdrawyl as usual(chills,aches,headache,stomach) but I also was WD-ing from Ultram and some Vicodin. By the time I started to taper from Ambien I had already tapered my Vicodin to very little. I realized that I had to taper off each drug then get off it altogether. The ambien was the last one. I have been clean 27 days now. Hope this answered your question. Let me know if you need more info. Keep strong!

Yours,
    Vickyuser

Old 10-30-2005, 06:50 PM   #15
    rk33
    (male)

rk33 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TCHRIS
    I am tellin you from experience from someone that works in the medical field that comming off Xanax cold turkey without some kind of supervision is very very lethal........I am not saying it CANT be done, what I am syaing is ....I have seen a MANY of people detox and I can promise you that people who are comming cold turkey off of a heroin addiction are more likely to make it then someone comming off of a cold turkey Xanax problem..........Benzos are NOTHING to mess with,,,,,,,,they pull you in quick and let you go even quicker. I myself have never had a problem with Benzos, I get myself into enough trouble with other pills and find all kinds of ways to find trouble that way and have never liked the feeling they give me thank goodness, because who knows what grave yard I would be in right now,if you guys use anything like i did, i certainly never liked to leave anything for spare......so.what i am saying is please please listen to what you hear about benzos they are nothing to play with they will put you into a seziure....at least tell somone what you are doing so if anything did happen they would be able to let someone know....try and titrate as much as yu can or find help from a dr or anyone..keep up the good work..you can do this i dont mean t o scare you but the benzos are no joke when you come down from them.....you have come to far to let a detox screw you up......keep posting,,
    I'm have never taken more than .5 mg in 24hrs, I have been at this dose for about 3 months, do you still see problems stopping

Closed Thread