It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• advice please about oxycontin withdrawal

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-02-2005, 09:39 PM   #1
    stacykgb20
    Inactive
    (female)

stacykgb20 HB User
    advice please about oxycontin withdrawal

Hi everyone,

I don't know if this is the right place to post or not, but I thought you guys might have some helpful advice for me. I'm 23 and for the past two years I've had chronic nerve pain in my face that started right after I had my wisdom teeth removed. I saw a dozen or so doctors and tried a bunch of different medications to help, including pain medications. Unfortunately nothing else helped especially the antiseizure medications they often prescribe for nerve pain which all caused terrible side effects for me. But I am getting really sick of being on painkillers and having to make sure I don't run out early or forget them and experience withdrawal and everything. My doctors aren't pushing me to stop taking Oxycontin, but they do think a pain rehabilitation program might help me cope better with or without pain medication. Do you guys know anything about those? I've resisted those programs so far because I like to do things on my own--I am a very independent and self-sufficient person and I hate the idea of any sort of group therapy. I've never had much in common with other people or liked being around more than a few people at one time. I don't like a lot of people and most people don't like me, partially because I don't get to know them. The other reasons are that I've always liked to keep to myself MUCH more than I like to be around other people, because I was a child prodigy, an only child, and precocious when it came when it came to dating and socializing. I just hate the idea of doing any sort of group program, at least not while I am still on these medications and feeling crappy most of the time.

So I decided that it might be best to just stop taking the pain medication cold turkey on my own. I know this might not have been the smartest idea, but I'm really stubborn, and I just went ahead and did it...I had been taking a pretty high dose of oxycontin for several years, so I wasn't sure what to expect. I tapered my dose for a few days then got impatient and flushed all the pain medication I had down the toilet. I resolved to just make it through whatever withdrawal I could and didn't tell my doctor what I was doing because I was afraid he'd tell me that I had to wean off the painkillers gradually. I just didn't think that would work as well as quitting all at once and I was impatient to get these drugs out of my system, so I still haven't said anything to him (and it's been over a week since I flushed all the medication I had).

I guess that's the background; here are the questions I was hoping you could help me answer. First, is there any value to these pain rehabilitation programs other than helping people stop taking pain medication? Would it still be worth going to one now that I'm not planning on taking anything for the pain?

Second, do you think my doctor will be mad at me for doing this without discussing it with him? How should I broach the subject with him? He's really nice and gentle and all that, but I have no idea how to bring this up with him and what to do from now on with my doctors (since all they were really doing was refilling my pain meds).

Third, am I deluding myself to think I can just stop taking Oxycontin on my own? People keep insinuating that once you start taking something like that, you'll be addicted and won't be able to stop on your own. To be candid, though, in the past I've used, then quit without difficulty, a few other drugs that people consider quite addictive. Are some people able to just stop hardcore drugs cold turkey or am I in denial about needing some sort of professional help or rehab? Am I a drug addict who needs to avoid any and all substances including drinking from now on?

I'm inclined to say that I don't think so, but maybe I'm deluding myself? I've definitely done my share of partying, but I haven't had trouble so far in permanently quitting any and all substances when I feel like it's time to grow up and move past that phase. I guess I should also explain that I don't agree with most people when it comes to things like morality and values. I've been a diehard atheist ever since I was like 3; I believe that arbitrary, universal standards of right and wrong are ridiculous and so I never bought into the whole "drugs and sex are bad" message that most people propagate and always looked forward to experimenting with both. I don't regret either choice at all and would actually regret not having done so, but I think it's definitely time to put aside any kind of drugs now that I'm done with college and going on to grad school and then a career.

So, can you guys help me figure out if I can actually do this on my own or not? And could you please tell me what to expect from Oxycontin withdrawal from this point on? I kind of got the impression that the first week was the worst, but am I wrong to assume that I'll continue to keep feeling better as more and more time passes? All in all I was averaging about 100mg per day, though I took slightly less than that prior to flushing it all. Or is there more in store for me and if so, does anyone have any advice as to how I can get through whatever withdrawal is still ahead as comfortably as possible? How long does it take to feel completely better? And are there future problems I have to worry about once the immediate physical withdrawal is over? My main concerns are that I still have some pain and that I haven't been able to force more than a few bites of food down each day for eight days now. Other than that, I just feel kind of sick, like I have the flu and a bit antsy, though my mom is taking good care of me and keeping me company while I've been sitting around, sleeping a lot, and waiting to feel better. Well, I guess what I'm asking is actually about ten different questions, and I'm sorry for making this so long or if it doesn't belong on this particular board, but I'd be really grateful for any insight anyone might be able to share.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-02-2005, 10:23 PM   #2
    goody2shuz
    Inactive
    (female)

goody2shuz HB Usergoody2shuz HB User
    Re: advice please about oxycontin withdrawal

Hi Stacy I had a mother's intuition that something was wrong and am glad I came upon this post.

I know that this is a difficult decision for you and admire you for having the courage to get yourself off the pain meds. I have my own share of chronic pain and totally understand the inner conflict that you struggle with. It's the pain versus the side effects of the meds and the debilitating effects of both.

I had a talk with my doctor regarding this....I would refuse to take the Percocet that he perscribed for me. He told me that the pain meds were there for when I needed and that I wouldn't become addicted when using them when I really needed them. And so I did. You must know the times the pain exacerbates and you need the meds.....you should take them if needed. Instead of taking mine around the clock I took it when I needed it most at bedtime. Perhaps you will need to do the same.

For now....after a week of being off the meds the worst should be over. Are you having any tremors or sweating??? The nausea & stomach discomfort should be getting better as well. Try to eat yogurt and fortified drinks. Increase your B12 vitamins which is great for stress on our bodies which yours is certainly going through.

To be honest, I have no real experience with this to feel confident on how to best advise you in terms of a pain rehab program. And from what you describe, it doesn't sound as if you are addicted but I know you Stacy....I think that some of your behavior is attempting to seek out the inner balance you need in all the wrong places rather than coming from you. You are a beautiful young lady who is so intelligent and strong. I think that you are coming to a realization in your life that you need to be more in control of it's direction and that perhaps being on the meds has made it extremely difficult to do so. And so there's a strong need to get off of them so you can see more clearly.

I think in time you will find a balance and acceptance that there are times you will need the pain meds and times that you won't. So long as you can discover this you should be fine. I really do not see that you are an abuser of these meds.....just someone who doesn't like the effect they impose upon your life.

Perhaps it's time you face your fears....what would be the harm in your going to a support group of some sort?? People who have something in common with you like chronic pain?? Why not give it a try like you have other things in life?? Forget about the reactions of others in your past.....go in with a clean slate without the feeling that everyone is going to dislike you. Courage is facing your fears and you can do it. Heck....you already have

I want you to know that I am here for you and praying that you will find what you need at this time in your life. As far as your doctors I would definitely advise you to tell them of your decision and ask for their support and guidance. They will help answer your questions and perhaps recommend a support group that you may benefit from.

I am sure that you will find many posters here who have tried to give up oxycontin and will share their personal experiences as well. And I am certain that from what you have described that you will be relieved to hear from others besides me, that you do not seem to fit the addictive criteria....but of couse I am not an authority on that having never been there.

Still...you have my support and love as always ~ Goody

Old 11-02-2005, 11:09 PM   #3
    stacykgb20
    Inactive
    (female)

stacykgb20 HB User

Awww Goody !

I am so glad to see your post and have your support and advice-thank you so much!! I knew that neither of us are fond of having to rely on pain medication though that's not usually the kind of topic that comes up on the relationship board. How are you doing with your pain by the way? I hope it is not troubling you too much and that you're not having to take more medication than you'd like. This whole thing is confusing and new to me, because there is such a seemingly fine line between physical dependence/mental dependence/addiction and even if I was 100% clear on all those distinctions, I wouldn't know what that means in practical terms for me. The main thing I am wondering about now is how to talk to my doctor about what I have done--I don't think he'll be upset or mad, but I still don't know what to say. I'm torn between telling him I don't want to ever take more pain meds and telling him I'm okay for now and to keep his fingers crossed that things are good. Any advice as to what I should say? I don't want to give off the impression that I'm scared of being addicted or that I'm doing this to avoid the pain rehab program? I guess I'm kind of feeling guilty for doing this behind his back, even though it's not a bad thing, because I've always been so honest with him (well I don't tell doctors that I like the way it feels to be high on some drugs because I've never had the feeling of being out of control or unable to curtail my consumption), and he's always been so kind and understanding with me. I feel a lot of pressure to contact him soon and fill him in on what I've decided and am now doing...

I undeniably did love partying there for awhile (still do, just not with drugs as much as some of my other favorite fun activities) and was always really well hooked up, but the drugs I don't do anymore don't appeal to me in the slightest now and haven't since I stopped using them, so I don't see any reason to talk to my doctors about that stuff. To me it's private and part of my past, but maybe I'm wrong about that, as I always err on the side of keeping my personal life private whenever I have any doubt whether to confide in someone about it. Goody, I have often puzzled over what you said about why I like this experimenting--part of me always used to wonder if it was because of what you suggested, looking to find something that I was missing, but I also wonder if some people are just hedonistic, as I've never really felt empty or lacking emotionally. It's funny, no one ever talks about people liking drugs and sex just for the pure enjoyment and exhilaration and not for any deep seated reason that signifies a serious problem, but it must happen, right? I definitely know people who haven't had any trouble trying and then stopping certain fun activities just for entertainment, so I find it hard to believe that all pleasure-seeking behavior stems from internal pain, confusion, emptiness, etc., but then again, I really don't know. I am not at all qualified to talk about that sort of thing--as best I can remember, I have never known anyone who was addicted to anything except as casual acquaintances.

Not surprisingly, with your amazingly accurate cyber-mom intuitions, you could not be more right that Iím a lot more scared of having to do some group therapy than of any physical discomfort or pain. Iíd rather go through the excruciating electric shooting pain that plagues my face or experience withdrawal in the privacy of my own company than have to go talk to a bunch of people about depressing stuff. On the other hand, I am feeling more motivated and less shy than I have in some time (you were definitely right that this was my main motivation for wanting off the Oxycontin), and it very well might be helpful to give a good pain rehab program a chance. There is one fairly nearby that my hairdresser, who I saw today, had another client attend with successful results. I am going to talk to that other patient about her experience and probably at least give the program a try. I would LOVE to never take another opiate and be completely clear-headedóbut can it really be this easy? Itís awesome to have my brain running at full speed again instead of maybe 75%--Iíve read 15 books this week after doing little more than watching TV for the weeks leading up to THE BIG FLUSH . Being off the pain meds is the difference for me between cranking out top quality academic work while expending only minimal mental effort (as I did up until my senior year of college when I had that doomed operation) and feeling muddy-headed and having to use will power to plow through in order to perform as well intellectuallyl. I much prefer the former state of mind, and if there was any doubt that these medications are getting in the way of my brain operating at its full capacity and of me operating at my maximum productivity, itís gone now that Iíve been free of them just for a short time. Just as you said, I'm at a turning point in my life, and I really want to be able to move forward with more clarity, energy, and certainty, and I know that avoiding Oxycontin will help facilitate that. The question isówill the pain rehab program? But maybe thatís not even the question so much as whether or not I have the strength to step out of my comfort zone and keep an optimistic, open attitude toward something Iím inclined to dread and avoid. If it doesnít help, itís not like Iíve really lost anything worthwhile, and Iím bound to get at least SOMETHING out of a intense program like that. Thanks for helping me see that the value in facing something we fear isnít always what the direct motivation seemsójust having the courage to try something different can be a success in and of itself whether or not I achieve my primary goal of attaining better control over my pain. You are a very wise, sweet, and kind friend and mom to me, and if thereís one thing Iíve learned over the past week, itís how much comfort and strength moms provide!

And to everyone else, please please donít hesitate to share any insight you have that may be even remotely relevant, as I feel like Iím operating in completely unfamiliar territory and could use all the advice I can get, especially about withdrawal and pain rehab and how to deal with doctors. I actually feel a whole lot better alreadyóthanks Goody!!óand it helped me to think this through just by typing it all out. So I appreciate anyone who plods through my notoriously long and ramblings posts and especially anyone who can help in any way! 

Old 11-03-2005, 08:08 AM   #4
    goody2shuz
    Inactive
    (female)

Oh, Stacy, my sweet dear Stacy You are such an open book and that is what I absolutely adore about you. I can't tell you how proud I am of you to open yourself up enough to seek out the support that you need at this time. And like you, I really encourage other posters who have the experience with addiction to come here and take you under their wings and help guide you.

So for now I will sit with you and hold your hand and help you as best I can without having experienced addiction or use of experimental drugs in my youth. Remember....I am a goody2shuz and pretty much refrianed from that sort of activity. I don't know how....I mean in highschool I was constantly around friends that used weed and partied as well as in college....but somehow never used it. That is until recently. Not too proud of myself on that one...but Tom smokes pot socially.....I didn't discover this until we were married a few years. My intuition kicked in, he denied it until he could no longer and I learned to accept this habit of his so long as he never did it so that the girls would discover it. We have close friends we get together with who also smoke weed.....they knew it was NEVER to be done at Goody's house....it was a given. And it never did....only at other houses or outings where my kids were not around. And so I compromised knowing that I have bad habits and so long as Tom's use of it did not interfere with his being a good husband and father then I could be okay with it. Took me a while to get there and I never encouraged him to use but did not condemn him after using. And so.....having gone through my meanager years, and discovering that Kait had experimented there was an occasion this summer, a friend's 40th birthday, in which I threw all caution to the wind and gave it a try. It was a monumental moment....our close cirle of friends had gone through 40th birthday's and here we were with the baby of the bunch!!! She loves weed and we all know it. Her gift was a coach bag stashed with a dime bag....probably more!!! And we had rented a van to take us to the city. I announced in transit, when they prepared to smoke, that as a special gift to my friend I would try for my first time. My friends laughed and knowing my history of never toking, well they were happy to have a virgin aboard!! My motivation not only came from wanting to celebrate a decade of birthdays with my dearest friends, but also to have a better understanding and first hand experience to talk to my girls about weed. For that reason I have no regrets....I had a great night as did my friends, however, I did have some regret that I had cracked and could no longer say without lying that I had never tried weed!!! No biggie, but still it bothered me, enough to be able to say no to future offerings. I needed to share that with you because you are being so open here....it isn't a moment I am very proud of but something that I have learned to accept in myself.

Now in terms of some of your concerns.....I believe in a physical dependence you would experience physical symptoms of shortness of breath, increased heart rate, shakiness, and the such until you are able to have the med. A mental dependence could be seen more in terms of behavioral changes such as increased anxiety, agitation, anger, mood swings, and the such. You will feel these things until you get more of the med into your system. Does this make things a little bit clearer??

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stacykgb
    The main thing I am wondering about now is how to talk to my doctor about what I have done..... Any advice as to what I should say? I feel a lot of pressure to contact him soon and fill him in on what I've decided and am now doing...
    Stacy, any good physcian would help you through this....you need to be completely honest with your doctor & tell him exactly how you feel. Share with him what you have shared with me here...how the meds keep you fogged and debilitated in terms of your quality of life almost to the degree that the pain does and that you are riding a double edged sword in life. Tell him how important it is for you to read and to further your education and how he can help you to control the pain enough to still be able to do the things that you are passionate about. I often wonder if there is some type of nerve block or injection they can give you to help with the pain that will leave you free of the affects that pain meds give us. I am sure that you have researched this as have your doctors who I know you have the utmost of confidence in. Perhaps you can try another med that won't have as strong an affect on you. The percocet alone without my muscle relaxant I find is not as debilitating....perhaps you & your physician can come up with another plan to ease you into a more "normal" way of living that doesn't have you feeling as if the treatment is as bad or perhaps worse than the pain. I am sure that was a BIG contributing factor in your need to flush the meds. You were tired of their affect upon your life and the unhappiness it brings holding you back from the things that you love to do. Trust your doctor, Stacy, and free yourself of your worries or any pressure you may be feeling. Your doctor will also direct you to a good support group....in fact I would also share with him your sexual pleasure seeking. It may be beneficial to go to a support group for people who are addicted to sex as well. I know that for you to question your lifestyle to this degree must definitely cause you great concern to see if there are any underlying issues to your seeking pleasure through potentially harmful avenues. I think that you are trying to find a healthy balance between the meds, pain, and sexual lifestyle that you lead so that you can be happy. I have watched you, Stacy, and you are not happy. And you know what....being off the meds certainly is allowing you to see a heck of alot more clearer that you need to do something, perhaps make some changes in your lifestyle realizing that although there are certain things you may find pleasurable they are not necessarily the things that will make you happy. And having said that.....

Quote:
    I am feeling more motivated and less shy than I have in some time and it very well might be helpful to give a good pain rehab program a chance. I would LOVE to never take another opiate and be completely clear-headedóbut can it really be this easy? Itís awesome to have my brain running at full speed again instead of maybe 75%--Iíve read 15 books this week after doing little more than watching TV for the weeks leading up to THE BIG FLUSH
    Stacy, I absolutley love your honesty with yourself & with others. I know it is not easy for you to come here and I know that you have a wonderful mom who is helpng you through this. As any mom she wants to see you happy That is our main goal for our children no matter what age they may be.

You will be happy when you can relate to others in real life. Not having friends really does bother you because you ARE so friend worthy. Going to the support group will allow you to find a friend you can relate to. Sometimes when we go seek out support we are afraid that others will see us as weak....but it takes such strength to go out and do so. Please do not allow fear to stand in your way. Being with people you can relate to puts you in a much better position of finding a friend. A support group may be the best thing for two reasons. It will not only allow you a way to face your fears but also allow you to be amongst people you may be able to relate to.

Quote:
    I really want to be able to move forward with more clarity, energy, and certainty, and I know that avoiding Oxycontin will help facilitate that. The question isówill the pain rehab program? But maybe thatís not even the question so much as whether or not I have the strength to step out of my comfort zone and keep an optimistic, open attitude toward something Iím inclined to dread and avoid
    Exactly, Stacy!!! You need to find and discover the strength you have to face the part of your life that holds you back.....the part that makes you feel unhappy. Now that things are clearer you will be able to do so. Realistically you are going to need to control your pain....there are was in which you can and will in a way that will maintain the balance in your life. The pain reahab if anything will help you find that in conjunction with your doctors.

Quote:
    .......I knew that neither of us are fond of having to rely on pain medication though that's not usually the kind of topic that comes up on the relationship board. How are you doing with your pain by the way? I hope it is not troubling you too much and that you're not having to take more medication than you'd like.
    As for me, I am only on an antiinflammatory at the present time, however, I have had to use the percocet at nighttime for sleep due to the pain I experience that interferes with sleep. I am beginning to think that the degeneration is spreading because I am feeling more discomfort in my midback that I haven't felt previously. Unfortunately there is little that can be done to prevent the degenerative process.....there are ways to delay it, which I have been quite successful with, but unfortunately not prevent it from eventually occurring. I am fortunate to not have to be on the pain med consistently but yet know it is there in my time of need. The thing is Stacy.....you will be able to, In time, learn how to harmonize the treatment with the pain in order to lead a fulfilling & happy life. I am here to help in any capacity to assist you in finding that balance....and am proud to be able to do so.

(((HUGS)))) ~ Goody

Old 11-03-2005, 09:23 AM   #5
    Hopefortoday
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hopefortoday HB User

I may be totally off base by saying this, but you really don't sound like an addict to me. I'm not a doctor or in the addiction field but I have been an addict for a long time and I've learned that we all can become physically dependent on a narcotic but an addict keeps using despite being aware of the consequences or the actual need for the drug.

First of all, you were using the drug for a legitimate purpose. Secondly, you've been able to lay down every other drug you've tried. It sounds to me like you are a recreational user who could very easily become a full blown addict. And you definitely don't want to do that.

My experience is that you need to stop while you can because there will come a point in time where you can't stop if you continue to use. I know I'm probably going to be blasted for what I'm saying but I am being honest with you about my opinion.

I think you said you had gone a week without using after flushing what you had left down the toilet. I can guarantee you a full blown addict would never flush oxycontin down a toilet. As far as the withdrawals are concerned, I've gone through oxy w/d several times and it truly is hell on earth but after you get past that first 3 or 4 days, every day gets better after that so it sounds like you are over the toughest part.

I have some significant time under my belt now and I never want to go back to that lifestyle. For all of you trying to quit or in the middle of withdrawals, God bless and remember...you never have to go thru that first, or second, or 30th day but one time if you get in a program and do what people tell you to do or find an alternate program that works for you -- I tried everything and AA/NA was the only thing that has kept me clean but there are other ways of getting clean and staying that way.

Old 11-03-2005, 11:30 PM   #6
    stacykgb20
    Inactive
    (female)

stacykgb20 HB User

Thank you both very much...it is definitely a big relief to hear that the worst of the withdrawals is probably over. I am going to talk to my doctor tomorrow and hopefully go see him as soon as possible--I trust him to help me figure out the best way to proceed from now on. I really do not want all this (the pain and the treatment) to become more of a problem than it's already been and especially want to avoid becoming dependent or addicted again to any sort of painkillers if there is any way that can be avoided. It's just a really hard choice to make between having pain relief and having to deal with all the down sides of painkillers--I wonder if there is a middle ground for me like you have found, Goody, or if it would be a big mistake for me ever to mess with such drugs again.

Do you guys have any opinion on that? I feel like now that I've made the decision to stop taking them, it would be like failing, like going backward, if I ever took anymore of that sort of medication. On the other hand, I can't deny that I'm still in pretty considerable pain, and I can't help but be skeptical that the pain rehab program or any alternative therapies will completely and permanently eliminate that. I guess I should see what my doctors have to say--they know I'm not thrilled about having to take pain medication but it might be wishful thinking to try and just power through everything without any relief from medication (which did diminish my pain considerably). Hopefully the doctors can help straighten everything out, although they are no substitute for the insights of people like you guys with firsthand experience.

Speaking of that--Goody, I absolutely loved your pot story, I know I shouldn't, but I just can't help being quite fond of pot and of people who use it. It's remarkable how uniformly my parents (and your) generation indulges on occasion, which I can't help but smile about. I think I'll always love pot, and while I know many people don't agree, I really don't see it as problematic for the vast majority of users, certainly not anymore so than legal drugs like alcohol and tobacco. In any event, it's always fun to hear about Goody going a little bad! I bet we'd have a great time if we ever met up in person to spend a night partying . Which brings me to a question I have for you all--how do I know if I need to refrain from drinking and smoking pot recreationally? I'm not planning on doing much at all of either in the near future, but I don't see myself avoiding both substances indefinitely--is that something I should be trying to avoid? Hopefortoday, your advice sounded pretty on target to me, and I appreciate you taking the time to respond...anything you might have to add as to how you'd suggest I proceed from here would also be really helpful. Thanks again everyone, and I'll be sure to keep you posted.

Old 11-04-2005, 07:25 PM   #7
    goody2shuz
    Inactive
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by stacykgb20
    Thank you both very much...it is definitely a big relief to hear that the worst of the withdrawals is probably over. I am going to talk to my doctor tomorrow and hopefully go see him as soon as possible--I trust him to help me figure out the best way to proceed from now on. It's just a really hard choice to make between having pain relief and having to deal with all the down sides of painkillers--I wonder if there is a middle ground for me like you have found, Goody, or if it would be a big mistake for me ever to mess with such drugs again.
    Stacy, I think it is very unrealistic to think that you can manage your pain without some type of medical intervention. The pain itself can be debilitating and prevent you from enjoying the quality of life that you so want & deserve. I know that when I am in pain I cannot concentrate on anthing else...it consumes me to the point that I find it dificult to concentrate on anything else. Thank God that presently I am able to manage on the antiinflamatory with the pain at a manageable level. When it worstens I have to add the muscle relaxant and percocet. It's a regimen that allows me to enjoy a quality of life that I have accepted with limitations and incorpration of other things that help balance my life so that I feel it is not lacking in terms of passion & purpose. I know that with the assistance of the doctors that you trust and obviously care about you that you will find a regimen that will allow you to have the highest quality of life that is available to you. It may involve a tial & error of different meds until you find the one that provides you with pain relief without the downsides that you have been experiencing.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by stacykgb20
    Goody, I absolutely loved your pot story, I know I shouldn't......it's always fun to hear about Goody going a little bad! I bet we'd have a great time if we ever met up in person to spend a night partying .
    Fat chance of that, my friend. I had my fun but decided that I have done that & been there and can do without. I don't think that drinking socially is a problem.....I must say that I did learn from my one time use of pot that it had an aphrodesiac effect and it was well worth the experience for me (which I really don't need most of the time, no complaints from Tom ) as well as for talking to my girls. I was quite concerned that my daughters may let down their guard in terms of their sexual standards finding themselves in a situation that they were either not ready for or may perhaps regret while using pot.. And so the experience definitely allowed me the benefit as a mom to be able to address this concern with my girls when the time presents itself. In fact since as your cybermom, perhaps the use of pot has an aphrodesiac effect on you as well that places you in such situations. Oh, and BTW a friend of ours has been thinking about you and wanted me to send you his best. Oh....and yes, Stacy, come to think of it......there should be a restriction in the use of pot and alcohol in conjunction with pain meds. You may need to incorporate that into your regimen so that you refrain from using them when on pain meds. That will only add to the overall affect and debilitating effect of the meds on your life. Talking to your doctors about this is important as well.

I agree with Hopefortoday in the sense that I do not see you having an addiction......you obviously have a legitamate need for pain meds but are in need of finding the right one as well as incorporation of them in your life in promoting a good quality that leaves you feeling unclouded and in control of your life.

I hope that you are feeling better and please know that I am here for you if you should need.

(((HUGS))) ~ Goody

Old 11-22-2005, 07:06 PM   #8
    goody2shuz
    Inactive
    (female)

Hi Stacy I am just bumping this up to check in with you to see how things are going?

How is your pain?? Are you still off all pain meds??? And have you seen your doctors???

I must say that seeing some of your last few posts on the Relationship board I am a little bit concerned in regard to how you are doing.

I also haven't seen much of you around here and as your cybermom am a little bit concerned.

Please know that I am here if you should need....

((HUGS)) ~ Goody

Old 11-23-2005, 09:11 AM   #9
    stacykgb20
    Inactive
    (female)

stacykgb20 HB User

Hi Goody,

You are the best cybermom anyone could ever hope to have, and you're also a huge sweetheart for thinking of me and being concerned. The weeks since I started this thread were definitely a difficult ordeal, but I don't think it had much to do with addiction or related issues. Actually, the Oxycontin withdrawal was relatively painless and easy compared to what I experienced trying to stop cold turkey the other medications I'd been prescribed...the pain was much much worse and on top of that (or perhaps because of that) I was constantly nauseous and very anxious, pretty much unable to eat. I was so hopeful that I could make it without doctors but I just couldn't cope with the pain or its effects on my stomach and anxiety level, so today I relented and went to see my doctor. It was probably pretty foolhardy of me to try and detox from everything I was taking so abruptly but he was very kind and concerned, even saying I was brave for trying, and gave me medication for the nausea, pain, and anxiety. Already I am feeling 100 times better, as before I was to the point where I couldn't do anything and was in absolute agony for nearly a month. I guess I had forgotten how acute and debilitating my pain was because it had been dulled by pain meds for so long, and despite my fervent hopes that I could function without any meds at all, it doesn't seem that I'll be able to do so. But barring that, I sure am a lot better today than I was yesterday or any day since I went cold turkey off everything. It's discouraging and disappointing but in the end I really don't have a choice if I want to have any quality of life and not be starving, throwing up, having panic attacks, and in unbearable pain. I wish I had a more upbeat update, but that's the reality of it...I am trying acupuncture now and a chiropractor (because my facial pain has made my neck extremely messed up from clenching my muscles) and looking into other alternative therapies as well as a renowned pain rehab program, so I haven't totally given up hope, and I am not going to let this get in the way of pursuing my educational and career goals. I just need to let people like my mom and my doctors at Mayo help me...at least I tried to see how I would do on my own and now I know. Thank you so much Goody for all your help and support...you are an angel as well as the only mom other than my own who astounds me with her love and concern . I love you and wish you all the luck, blessings, and pain relief in the world!! And please say hi to your crab for me too .

Old 11-23-2005, 03:57 PM   #10
    goody2shuz
    Inactive
    (female)

Stacy ~ I am glad you came aboard with an update....I was extremely concerned as to how you were doing and am glad that you gave me such a wonderful update.

I appreciate all the warm words of love you send my way.....I am so relieved to hear that you have been to the doctors and that they are over seeing your pain management.

I know how frustrating it can be when the meds interfere with your quality of life. You just keep on working with the doctors and eventually you will find the right med or therapy that will help manage your pain and not interfere so much with your passion in regard to other things in your life.

I love you too, Stacy, and my wishes are for you to find the inner peace and tranquility in your life....deep within yourself knowing that you possess such a beauty and strength that will go beyond all of this. And that you will find happiness that will overcome and make up for all the pain you have endured.

(((HUGS))) from your cybermom ~ Goody

Old 11-23-2005, 05:23 PM   #11
    stacykgb20
    Inactive
    (female)

stacykgb20 HB User

Aww Goody, thank you thank you thank you! I can't tell you how much your support and loving words mean, and have always meant, to me, especially your last post, which is so reassuring and inspiring that I am copying it (along with several of your other posts) into a document that I can reference when I need to borrow some of your faith and optimism . Your kind thoughts work wonders when my pain and outlook are both failing, and I'd suggest you reread some of your caring and uplifting messages if you ever need a similar boost. I truly hope those dark times never, or at least very rarely, trouble you, as it breaks my heart to think of such a kind and loving mother suffering in any way. Please know that your love and concern has meant so much more to me than I could ever express and that I am thinking of you often and sending just as many wishes for you to feel happy and pain free in your direction as you have sent to me. You are 100% right about trusting my doctors and working with them, as well as on my attitude, in order to do all we can to limit the effects of my pain. I really hope you have great doctors on your side as well who refuse to stop looking for anything that might help ease your pain...it is truly amazing and inspiring to me that you have enough love and concern to share with me when I know you have your own formidable obstacles to overcome. I don't know where I'd be without the two most loving mothers I could ever imagine, but I do know that your daughters especially (and me too!) are incredibly fortunate to know and love you .

PS--Oh, I forgot, but I have other happy updates for you! What you said about friends in an earlier response really resonated with me and since then, my friends and I have made a mutual effort to reestablish regular contact, which makes me extremely happy and reassured. I've also made a lot of progress toward figuring out where I want to go from here as far as school and a career are concerned, which is great because the uncertainty I was feeling about that was definitely making me anxious and depressed. All in all I am hanging in there and can't complain, certainly not to you, who is like an to me!

Last edited by stacykgb20; 11-23-2005 at 05:37 PM. Reason: to add postscript

Old 11-24-2005, 04:03 PM   #12
    goody2shuz
    Inactive
    (female)

Hi Stacy Just wanted to pop in while my dinner is in the oven and wish you a Happy Thanksgiving!!!

Thank you for your kind heartfelt words, they really filled my heart with such joy knowing that things I have said to you really make a difference. It makes it all worthwhile to know that I can do that here and make a difference in somebody's life who I really don't know but have grown to know & love over the past year or so. I too value our friendship here on HB.

I am thrilled that you have made contact with your friends & are pursuing your career & schooling interests. It is quite obvious that you have alot to be thankful for today!!!

As I sit around my table with my two daughters & Tom I will count you amongst my blessings for the wonderful words of love & affirmation that you so openly share with me. And BTW....my crab Ollie is doing quite well and seems to always remind me how even God's smallest creatures are able to come out of their shell with a little bit of TLC!!! I hope you have a wonderful painfree Thanksgiving with your mom. Hopefully you will eat a wonderful meal & share the magic of this day with one another.

((((HUGS)))) and love ~ Goody

Closed Thread