It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• 34 year old - 6 beers every weekday.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-03-2005, 01:23 PM   #1
    MSH

MSH HB User
    34 year old - 6 beers every weekday.

I guess the fact that I'm writing means that I'm somewhat concerned. I "partied" a lot in undergrad/grad school from about 18 to 25, am now 34 years old, married and my work buddies and I drink about 6 beers after work each day (I don't drink on the weekends.) My liver tests are fine, it doesn't affect my work or family, but at about 3:00 in the afternoon I really start looking forward to drinking and will drink from about 5:00-7:00 each week night. However, on the weekend I do not touch the stuff. The way I've always looked at it is even if someone drank 20 beers a night, but it does not affect their health, family, friends or work, then who really cares, right? Right now, I don't see my 6 beers a night being a "drinking problem". What do you think, if it's not doing any damage (assuming it's not) then why does it really matter how much you drink each night? Is 6 beers really too much then or is it all about the stigma of it all? I appreciate any advice or opinion or similar circumstances. Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-03-2005, 01:32 PM   #2
    Arememom
    Inactive
    (female)

Arememom HB User
    Re: 34 year old - 6 beers every weekday.

Hey MHS,

The fact that you felt the need to research and post regarding your drinking tells me that something is bothering you in the back of your mind. Addiction/alcoholism never starts our full force. It usually is a gradual, steady increasing event. It doesn't matter if you drink once a week or everyday. Alcoholics/addicts can go for days, weeks and months at times with doing their drug of choice. Talk to us and tell us what brought you to this board. You will get a lot of opinions. Some of which you won't like what you hear. Remember this, take the information you want and leave the rest behind. We're a big family here, willing to help when we can, give opinions (even when not wanted) and will walk with addicts/alcoholics every step of the way if they desire to live a clean and healthy life.

Old 11-03-2005, 02:02 PM   #3
    Awife
    (female)

Awife HB User
    Question Re: 34 year old - 6 beers every weekday.

Hi MHS,

I'd like to ask why you don't drink on the weekend and only on the weekdays. How long have you been drinking a 6pak everyday during the week? I agree with Arememom in the fact you've either come for answers to your own questions OR someone in your life has mentioned this is a problem and you're trying to see if they are right. Just my input would be I haven't even known a drinker who STAYED at only a 6 pak. It may be a 6 pak for a long time with 7 or 8 on those hard days. It maybe you only drink during the week and not the weekends but build up a tolerance to 6-7 beers a day then gradually bump it up.
    You also mentioned you and your work buddies dirnk after work. Well.. that may lead to other questions. Do you have kids? After work you are choosing to go out for beers everyday before you go home to your wife/kids? In some states drinking a 6pak and driving home can cause a huge set of problems. Do you drink at home or only out with the guys? Either way.. you'll find a plethra of answers for your question here. My experience and opinion is this: is you drink a 6 pck of beer a day you are abusing (yet maybe not addicted). Abusing leads to addiction. Both are hard to stop. Hang around the boards for a while There is alot of support, love and friendship around here. You may find more answers then you're looking for. Good Luck!

Last edited by Awife; 11-03-2005 at 02:07 PM. Reason: hit send to soon

Closed Thread