It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• New Thread..methadone Side Effects, New Ones,please Help

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-16-2005, 10:22 AM   #1
    TCHRIS
    Inactive
    (female)

TCHRIS HB User
    New Thread..methadone Side Effects, New Ones,please Help

Hi guys, I start I would start a new thread since the other one was getting so long, thanks to all that helped out, as usual we got more CORRECT information from the boards then anywhere else, all the side effects I asked about have pretty much cleared up or easy to ignore, you guys that are on it for pain or MMT or both, have been great, its nice to able to come somewhere and discuss what is going on with someone who takes the ned, instead of someone that has only READ a book about it....which is where we seem to get most of our medical info from, the people who have never been on it, no nothinhg about being an addict, but love to tell us what we are feeling....one more thing TJ has experienced is some odd muscle twitching right above his right upper chest.i can see his skin move around when it starts. Does anyone know if you can take SOMA with Methadone??..They have said that muscle spasms is another sid effect of Methadone....they looked it up in there book I guess its good they had a anwser....well guys hope all is good with all of you, bad day from the second we woke up, but at least I didnt have to go and crush up a pill to deal with it....the car is broke so we are inside for the day, or the week, or however it takes to fix the car.........please post all you guys can on side effects of METHADONE.......CHRISTINE

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-17-2005, 06:03 AM   #2
    valleygurl
    Inactive
    (female)

valleygurl HB User
    Re: New Thread..methadone Side Effects, New Ones,please Help

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TCHRIS
    Hi guys, I start I would start a new thread since the other one was getting so long, thanks to all that helped out, as usual we got more CORRECT information from the boards then anywhere else, all the side effects I asked about have pretty much cleared up or easy to ignore, you guys that are on it for pain or MMT or both, have been great, its nice to able to come somewhere and discuss what is going on with someone who takes the ned, instead of someone that has only READ a book about it....which is where we seem to get most of our medical info from, the people who have never been on it, no nothinhg about being an addict, but love to tell us what we are feeling....one more thing TJ has experienced is some odd muscle twitching right above his right upper chest.i can see his skin move around when it starts. Does anyone know if you can take SOMA with Methadone??..They have said that muscle spasms is another sid effect of Methadone....they looked it up in there book I guess its good they had a anwser....well guys hope all is good with all of you, bad day from the second we woke up, but at least I didnt have to go and crush up a pill to deal with it....the car is broke so we are inside for the day, or the week, or however it takes to fix the car.........please post all you guys can on side effects of METHADONE.......CHRISTINE
    Christine, I am glad that things are going good for the two of you with your recovery! I responded about the "muscle twitching" on the other board where it was posted. Is it any better? Also, the answer to your question about taking Soma while on Methadone is "YES"..... as there are many pain patients who are prescribed Methadone and Soma in combination to control their pain.

I hope today is a better day for you! Did you get your car problem fixed?

Peace,
    ValleyGurl

Old 11-17-2005, 06:43 AM   #3
    tina76
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tina76 HB User

Good Morning Christine - I haven't had any trouble with muscle twitching while on the methadone... You said that some of your side effects are clearing up? Which ones? I'm just curious. The sleep problem, smoking problem, and bathroom problem (you know what I'm talking about ) have stuck with me the whole month or so that I've been on it. I'm hopign they go away over time! Hope your car is fixed! I had that problem last year before I got my new car. I hated being carless. The town I live in is pretty much impossible to get around in w/out your own vehicle. Unless you want to spend 3 hours on a bus for a 5 mile drive. I, personally, have never needed to get anywhere badly enough to take the bus! ugh. I was lucky and was able to borrow my step-dad's car while mine was broken. He is a truck driver and doesn't use his car much. I hope you get your fixed soon if it isn't already! - Tina

Old 11-17-2005, 11:33 PM   #4
    TCHRIS
    Inactive
    (female)

TCHRIS HB User

Good morning all.Well Tina, as you can see by the time of my post,the sleeping problem has not been fixed and I hava a cig in my hand as I type,so in reality the only thing that did clear up os the swelling, and that one scared me, I have also started taking a BP med,becasue me BP is a tiny elevated, hmmmmmmmmmm,wonder why, think cause i have been under a little bit of stress the pastfew months.. ...The DR thought it was a good idea to puit me on that as it is a beta blocker and helps with anxiety also,does something to maintain the fight/flight adreniline to slow down...I have felt pretty OK the past few days. I guess i should have re worded the thread different, because just between me and us girls something else did not come this month and I already took a pregancy test and all is good........I have taken all kinds of meds over the years, and I have never had a side effect i any of them and i feel like i have had EVERY SINGLE ONE off this Methadone...but at least I am not counting pills and I am soooooooooooooo NOT high, Tina I know i am not telling you anything you dont already know but you better be careful taking all those pills the half life on these things are long as you know and you feel that buzz and its gone and you take another and on and on ,before you know it you are 80mg deep in Methadone, I dont want to come on here one day and not hear from you, thats why i get upset that there are no personal contact off of here, because goodness what if donething happened to one of us.....wew ould never know....please nobody turn me in for saying that, its just my own personal thought..thanks again everyone...............CHRISTINE

Old 11-18-2005, 06:10 AM   #5
    bevann26
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

bevann26 HB Userbevann26 HB Userbevann26 HB User

my son had alot of those side effects when he first started at the meth clinic also. they started him on a lower dose but increased it within one month. he is now doing well on 100mg. the only problem he still has is feeling real tired about noon(he gets his treatment at 7:30. the tiredness only lasts off and on for about an hr. also, he still gets the sweats a couple times a day. those side effects are nothing compared to the dangerous road he was going on. he has been going to the clinic for 5 mos. now, and doing well. maybe you could talk to the clinic, they might need to adjust your dose also.
    hang in there, you all are doing great! i am very proud of you all, as well as my son.
    bevann

Old 11-18-2005, 03:49 PM   #6
    TCHRIS
    Inactive
    (female)

TCHRIS HB User

Thanks for the post, and congrats on your son, had he had any probles with anxiety or panic, me and my fiance have had a new onset of those and I have never had to deal with any of that before, today I am having the fluid retention in my legs,but i am also having urinw retention also, so i am starting to see a pattern here, and it seems that if i drink a lot of water all problems go away, my BP has stayed way down, like almost to far down where i dont think i should taje the BP med, we will see, for now the weather is beautiful here where we are, we are opiate free, tj has been opiate free for 32 days andi will be 30 days on Monday, we are so looking forward to the holidays minus the pill counting and the how many should we bring to get thru the day at our parents house,we can wake up and leave, no figuring out how many pills to take so on so forth, not worrying about pills is great and while it is a pain in the butt to go somewhere and get dosed every am, at least i know i will have meds to last me thru the whole month and never come up short, it amazing the leftover time you have when you donthave to count pills and worry about which pharmacy to go to or if you have enough dr appts for the month,,,,,its like we got rid of a full time job..........and this is one job i am glad to be fired from .....well guys,please keep posting about side effects or any Methadone info you have, it helsp us out a lot........CHRISTINE

Old 11-19-2005, 08:20 AM   #7
    tina76
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tina76 HB User

Hey Christine and TJ - Glad to hear you guys are doing well. I was wondering if you could post some description of how the two of you got involved with the methadone clinic you are in. What are the processes etc...? I am curious to know how it works. Talk to you guys later! - Tina

Old 11-20-2005, 02:27 AM   #8
    bevann26
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

bevann26 HB Userbevann26 HB Userbevann26 HB User

christine..my son did get axiety and panic, especially the first 3 mos. on the clinic. i think it was mainly because he kept trying to talk or think about his yrs. of drug abuse, and it was too soon to do so. you both seem to be doing great, keep up the good work! don't look back, that was your past, now is your future. a happy one it will be too, drug free!
    have a great thanksgiving this year!....bevann

Old 11-21-2005, 10:39 AM   #9
    TCHRIS
    Inactive
    (female)

TCHRIS HB User

Hey guys........I dont post for 2 days and I feel like I have lost touch of all reality, I have been being lazy, and watching football and trying to deal with this anxiety crap that comes along with getting off opiates,i hate it, it makes me a nervous wreck, but i told myself last night when i got up, i was going to have a normal day and so far so good.anyways Tina.............I will make it short and sweet, we got involved with this clinic after I called around to some places about the Suboxne,which is what we wanted to do in the first place, but after calling around and hearing the price we got discouraged,little did we know,the prices we were given were prices people have never heard of,like 2500$ for 3 months,plus the meds,plus this,plus that,blah blah,blah....i made post about this on the board and had many people tell me that was a ripoff and about what they were paying and in the meantime got involved with the Methadone clinic, lucky enogh for us we have 2 in our immediate area, so we went down one day, filled out paperwork and we were given another appt to come back down,we had to be in full blown detox........that was loads of fun....he had his appt many days earlier then i did, we had a dr do a fuul physcial,ask a million questions,talk to a counselor,get a psych eval....sign a million pieces of paper, it actually took about 2 appts to get our 1st dose and i must say since that day, we have been doing ok, they do random drug tests at any time, so they are very strict about using anything else,i actually had my first one last week and it had not even been a month, basically this kind of program works for you how you want it to, if you want to get clean and live your life right, it will help you, the place where i go,requires you to go to so many meetings,have to get papers signed,ect, you get assigned a couneslor, they make up a care plan and goals for you,but the reality is, we are addicts and if you want to go there to get high off of Methadone,I am sure there is a way to do that also,people go there and up there dose to where they cant see straight and i am sure they go and use street drugs also, that is what gives Methadone a bad name, but like i said the one i go to is pretty strict about drug testing and such, we plan to stay on Methadone and go right onto the Sub,and hopefully be done with this madness, we really really want this and to be totally drug free and as of right now this is the way we feel is best for us.......so thats the story in a nutshell..keep posting guys, you help us so much everyday..............thanks to all..............CHRISTINE

Old 11-22-2005, 04:50 PM   #10
    TCHRIS
    Inactive
    (female)

TCHRIS HB User

Just saying hey to all,and hope everybody is ready for TURKEY day, its kinda cool, I didnt have to make sure i went to dre appt this week so i had enough pills for the holiday,that is one thing to be thankful for,which j ust gave me a idea, I am going to start a thread on what we have to be thankful for this thanksgiving, we always here so much sad stuff on here and it does take that so we can come out on the better end of things but i want at least one thread we can post some positives.,,,,but please keep posting those side effectd if you can think of any,,,,,,,,,,,CHRISTINE

Old 11-25-2005, 09:00 AM   #11
    jennysmith6
    (female)

jennysmith6 HB User

I am a new member here and I guess I will introduce myself. I am a 30 year old mother of two who was diagnosed with interstitial cystitis which is a chronic bladder disorder. My dr. has prescribed me methadone for my pain management. I have read through most of the posts but I still have some questions for whoever might be able to give me information and maybe I won't feel like I am going nuts. I know it depends on the person but maybe I am the person it is happening to also.

1. Does methadone cause chronic constipation? I have been feeling like my intestines are trying to pass a golf ball with spikes. I can feel my "stuff" passing through them with lots of pain to the point where I am puking. Don't know if this is an irritation to my intestines due to the methadone.

2. Does methadone cause sleep apnea or any sleep complications? I have been referred to a sleep clinic because of extreme fatigue. My dr. thinks I have sleep apnea which is causing me to have less oxygen in my system which in return is causing the fatigue. I have had no deep sleep and wanted to know if it due to the meth.

3. What does the withdrawl symptoms feel like? I read on the thread that there is muscle aches and chills. I have been feeling less pain and don't know if it is because of the meth being in my system for so long (1 yr.), so it takes longer for it to get out of my system. I went through something the other night that I felt like I was crawling out of my skin and had to rock back and forth just to keep moving. It was very painful. Then I felt like I was having breathing problems almost like a panic attack but no pain in my chest. It was scary.

4. Which medicine is better for pain oxycotin or methadone? I was going to talk to my dr. about switching to oxycotin but I was afraid of the addiction level of the oxycotin. I know methadone is addictive too but I have been mentally aware of that the whole time I have been on it, so I know I am not mentally addicted to the drug but my body is if that makes sense. I know that my body needs it because of the pain and I will go through the withdrawls if I don't take it. I guess what I am asking is... are there less side effects with oxycotin?

I thought hey, I will stop taking them because I am feeling fine but I don't want the pain to come back because it is unbearable but then I don't want to be on meds that I don't need to be on. I am almost thinking " Oh my gosh what have I done? Why did I even start taking these things!!!" I never took pain meds before because I went through some major stuff just trying to get the dr.s to believe me about my pain. Other narcotics didn't work for the length of time needed for my pain. I have been poked,prodded, cut open, cut on, been stuck something in every hole that my body has available, turned away from the hospital, chewed out by my dr. for suppposively selling drugs in front of my 4 year old. This has been an interesting journey for me and I just want some help on trying to distinguish what I am up against when it comes to this particular medicine. Thank you for your responses and reading this long story. It is nice to have someone to talk to that won't judge you for whining about your problems and diseases that have been dealt to you in life.
    Hope all had a Happy Thanksgiving.

God Bless,
    Jen

Old 11-25-2005, 07:03 PM   #12
    TCHRIS
    Inactive
    (female)

TCHRIS HB User

Well,I will give you the short story of my struggles..I cant say I really understand what you are asking...................are you trying to get oof the pills>> Does the dr want you off?? or are you tryimg to get on other pills....??Not to sure where you want to go with this but here is some of my story,as for the OC vs Methadone, I am on MMT, which is Methdone Maientence to get off of OC, I did take pain pills at one time for pain,and that is how I learned to love them,I was on pills for many years, went off cold turkey, with the help of NA,that crawling skin feeling you have is sign of withdrawl, along with every other annoything thing you feel, like water eyes, restless legs, hot/cold/clamy hot/cold......some people call them flu like syptoms,i call them torture.....i have had some problems in the bathroom dept on the constipation side of it, but my fiance is on it and he has no trouble, but everyone is different, my biggest fear and problem is the water retention, my legs are had slight edema in them,and i have NEVER EVER had that in my life, and to top it off when i try to go to the bathroom i have urinary retention, i can remeber falling asleep on there in the middle of the night i waited so long to go,but never would, i was told to drink lots and lots of water and it has helped, i also crave sweets ans ONLY sweets and right now it is onky ice cream, i am noticing some weight gain and have started the gym, just about every side effect i have been blessed to recieve, and to top it all off, i have just started to experience my first panic attacks, i never even thought they were real.................i have neve been so wrong in my life, so that is mainly what i am dealing with right now,trying to figure out some type of anti dep, i ahve been high for so long, i was just covering it all up, but it is now time to face the world with all these raw feelings and work thry them and all the side effects..i am not sure how much you would be taking since you are on it for pain management, but if you have any questions or wanna talk,just keep posting i have found much hope on this board, the people oh here are great and dont judge you for anything you do or say, they just help you put you *** back on and keep on going..................CHRISTINE

Old 11-25-2005, 07:06 PM   #13
    sk777
    Veteran
    (female)

sk777 HB User

I love "flu-like symptoms." It's like "some discomfort."

Old 11-28-2005, 06:28 PM   #14
    TCHRIS
    Inactive
    (female)

TCHRIS HB User

Just wanted to bump up my thread, I have been off the board like 3 days and it is flooded with hew folks,,,WELCOM WELCOME............hope everyone had a good turkey day..............where is Tina...................and ARMEMOM are you OK???? beginagain, are you feeling better...............with all the new faces I thought maybe someone would have some info on side effects with the Methadone, my newest problem is this depression and anxiety thing I have going on, anyone else having problems with anxiety attacks when comming off pills and staying clean, I have been over to another part of the board trying to find out things i can do to help myself,,,,,they told me at the clinic I should be on a higher dose since I am still craving drugs real bad,but i tried ti explain to them tht sometimed in your life you have to step up to the plate and just say no,there is no magic pill or med that just takes it all away and they gave me something like that is true but i am not strong enough for that yet,just say no, and that it will comed in time after more meetings and if i had cravings i needed to up my dose so i wouldnt go and use...i dont really know how i feel about there whole thing, all i do know is i am not counting pills or days on the calander anymore and thats a greadt feeling,........post back to me, these post akways help. I want to know how all you guys are doing??? CHRISTINE

Old 12-01-2005, 09:09 AM   #15
    tina76
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tina76 HB User

Hey Christine - Just wanted to say hi. I was in the hospital for 6 days starting on turkey day. Apparently I have a torn ligament in my abdomen? They originally mis-diagnosed it for gall bladder trouble. I also have to see my gyno tomorrow because my endo pain has seemed worse this past week as well. grrrreat. Not sure what they are going to do. Stressful... Hope you guys are doing well!

Closed Thread