It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• Aaaahhhhhh, help anyone ativan or ambien

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-23-2005, 11:47 AM   #31
    Arememom
    Inactive
    (female)

Arememom HB User
    Re: Aaaahhhhhh, help anyone ativan or ambien

Yeah sk7777, sleep!!!!!!!!!!! Everyday will get better, just take it one day at a time and soon the days will pass and you won't realize it until one day when it hits you. Hey sleeping, not wanting or even thinking of my drug of choice today. I go many days without thinking of it except for going to my meetings. And the meetings don't really remind me of the using days, they remimd me of how happy I am.

rk33,

Unfortunately things will happen to us in our lives that cause us real physical pain. As addicts we don't need to suffer. We must be aware of our addictive behaviors that got us in this mess to begin with. But as I said you don't need to suffer with pain when you have "Real" pain. Is there someone who can hold the meds for you and give as needed, appropriately? You've taken 5 over what time frame. If it's the appropriate time frame, then good for you. If not, then you know what you must do. If the Ambien isn't working then stop taking it and if needed get rid of what you have. Have you tried Melatonin for sleep? It is a natural sleep med. We actually produce Melatonin in our bodies and sometimes as we age or have stressful things going on in our lives, our bodies don't produce enough, hence trouble sleeping. Tylenol PM or Benadryl work for some for sleep also.

You're here on the board for support because you want to live a drug free life and you can attain it "One Day At A Time".

Happy Thanksgiving and eat lots of Turkey. The L-tyrosine in it will put you right to sleep.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-23-2005, 11:54 AM   #32
    rk33
    (male)

rk33 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Arememom
    Yeah sk7777, sleep!!!!!!!!!!! Everyday will get better, just take it one day at a time and soon the days will pass and you won't realize it until one day when it hits you. Hey sleeping, not wanting or even thinking of my drug of choice today. I go many days without thinking of it except for going to my meetings. And the meetings don't really remind me of the using days, they remimd me of how happy I am.

rk33,

Unfortunately things will happen to us in our lives that cause us real physical pain. As addicts we don't need to suffer. We must be aware of our addictive behaviors that got us in this mess to begin with. But as I said you don't need to suffer with pain when you have "Real" pain. Is there someone who can hold the meds for you and give as needed, appropriately? You've taken 5 over what time frame. If it's the appropriate time frame, then good for you. If not, then you know what you must do. If the Ambien isn't working then stop taking it and if needed get rid of what you have. Have you tried Melatonin for sleep? It is a natural sleep med. We actually produce Melatonin in our bodies and sometimes as we age or have stressful things going on in our lives, our bodies don't produce enough, hence trouble sleeping. Tylenol PM or Benadryl work for some for sleep also.

You're here on the board for support because you want to live a drug free life and you can attain it "One Day At A Time".

Happy Thanksgiving and eat lots of Turkey. The L-tyrosine in it will put you
    right to sleep.

I have taken 5 since Sat. I do not crave them I do have the power to take as prescribed, I actually hate taking them, but my pain tollerance today is at it end so I will probally have to take one. I just worry abouth triggering withdrawl. My sleep is so screwed, I work at a hospital on rotating 12hr swing shift and my body is always screwed up. Kev

Old 11-23-2005, 12:04 PM   #33
    sk777
    Veteran
    (female)

sk777 HB User

Kev, glad to hear you slept, too. I was pretty sure last night at 3 am I was going to be up all night again and then oh happiness. There it was. Sweet, elusive sleep.

Am 34. Feel like 12 (emotionally) or 80 (physically). Right now I'm coming off ambien + ativan. Was hydro and then started on the ambien & ativan to help get me off of hydro. I think this is harder for me. Perhaps because I have nothing to take!! But seriously, I am a total baby about not sleeping. I can handle a lot but that. So the hydro was physical and psychological but the ambien/ativan physical and deeply deeply psychological. Also, I keep hearing that benzo withdrawal can take a really really long time. And when I think about that, I want to give up. The only thing that's keeping me sober right now is how hard it is for me to get meds, especially over the holiday, and that if I do it, it won't arrive probably until Monday anyway. So what's the point??

The last few years of near constant addiction to hydro, ambien or ativan have melted together and flown by. Now, time has come to a near stop. So of course, Monday seems like an eternity. I keep saying, even though I did it many times before while managing to keep meds in the house, I don't know how people do this while having access. Maybe I'm not really bottomed out. Before, I knew as soon as I got un-dependent, I could take it again, but of course, being smarter, not taking them every day to get hooked. I don't think I ever lasted more than a week. This time, everything got flushed. Goodbye hundreds of dollars, actually something close to $1000, OMG don't think about it, of hydro, ativan, ambien, sonata. So, maybe that's how I did it before, with meds in the house, it wasn't forever.

Hang in there Kev.

Old 11-23-2005, 12:17 PM   #34
    rk33
    (male)

rk33 HB User
    Wink Re: Aaaahhhhhh, help anyone ativan or ambien

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sk777
    Kev, glad to hear you slept, too. I was pretty sure last night at 3 am I was going to be up all night again and then oh happiness. There it was. Sweet, elusive sleep.

Am 34. Feel like 12 (emotionally) or 80 (physically). Right now I'm coming off ambien + ativan. Was hydro and then started on the ambien & ativan to help get me off of hydro. I think this is harder for me. Perhaps because I have nothing to take!! But seriously, I am a total baby about not sleeping. I can handle a lot but that. So the hydro was physical and psychological but the ambien/ativan physical and deeply deeply psychological. Also, I keep hearing that benzo withdrawal can take a really really long time. And when I think about that, I want to give up. The only thing that's keeping me sober right now is how hard it is for me to get meds, especially over the holiday, and that if I do it, it won't arrive probably until Monday anyway. So what's the point??

The last few years of near constant addiction to hydro, ambien or ativan have melted together and flown by. Now, time has come to a near stop. So of course, Monday seems like an eternity. I keep saying, even though I did it many times before while managing to keep meds in the house, I don't know how people do this while having access. Maybe I'm not really bottomed out. Before, I knew as soon as I got un-dependent, I could take it again, but of course, being smarter, not taking them every day to get hooked. I don't think I ever lasted more than a week. This time, everything got flushed. Goodbye hundreds of dollars, actually something close to $1000, OMG don't think about it, of hydro, ativan, ambien, sonata. So, maybe that's how I did it before, with meds in the house, it wasn't forever.

Hang in there Kev.

I just typed you this long post and it disappeared from my computer, maybe we can help each other through this. Our story seams the same

Old 11-23-2005, 12:29 PM   #35
    Arememom
    Inactive
    (female)

Arememom HB User

Hey kev,

12 hours shift at the hospital, oh how I remember them well. Worked nightshift for 10 years in the hospital. You have done well with your pain meds. Only 5 since Saturday. Please remember this also. The longer you hurt and the worse the pain gets the longer it takes for the meds to work and the more you must take. Keep your pain under control with the meds. Don't wait until you just can't stand the pain anymore. You will just have to keep in your mind about going over the edge with them. Also, I wonder if you could take some type of non-narcotic like Tordol.

Sleep is very important with recovery weather it's from your pancreas or drug addiction. We can't combat disease, pain or stress when we're sleep deprived. Being tired exaggerates everything.

Old 11-23-2005, 12:33 PM   #36
    rk33
    (male)

rk33 HB User

Quote:
    Hey kev,

12 hours shift at the hospital, oh how I remember them well. Worked nightshift for 10 years in the hospital. You have done well with your pain meds. Only 5 since Saturday. Please remember this also. The longer you hurt and the worse the pain gets the longer it takes for the meds to work and the more you must take. Keep your pain under control with the meds. Don't wait until you just can't stand the pain anymore. You will just have to keep in your mind about going over the edge with them. Also, I wonder if you could take some type of non-narcotic like Tordol.

Sleep is very important with recovery weather it's from your pancreas or drug addiction. We can't combat disease, pain or stress when we're sleep deprived. Being tired exaggerates everything.

The bad part of the shifts is, 1st week days next week midnights. How long of taking them before I would cause the withdrawl. Its sorta a double edged sword, Kev

Old 11-23-2005, 12:44 PM   #37
    Arememom
    Inactive
    (female)

Arememom HB User

Hey Kev,

You shouldn't have any withdrawal with the small amounts you are taking. Think back to the days before you became addicted to drugs. When you would be sick and have to take some pain meds. Sometime after surgery, people have to take pain meds for up to 6 weeks. Slowly over that 6 weeks period, you'd take less and less as the pain became less and less. When the pain was gone, you'd stop taking the meds. At least that is how it is for me.

Now that schedule sucks. My ex-husband of more than 22 years use to work for a company that did 8 hour shifts, but rotated them - 2 weeks days, 2 weeks evenings and then 2 weeks nights. Your body will never be able to adjust. The circadia rythmn can never become stable. It eventually drives people crazy and some have to get off these shifts.

Old 11-23-2005, 12:48 PM   #38
    rk33
    (male)

rk33 HB User

Quote:
    Hey Kev,

You shouldn't have any withdrawal with the small amounts you are taking. Think back to the days before you became addicted to drugs. When you would be sick and have to take some pain meds. Sometime after surgery, people have to take pain meds for up to 6 weeks. Slowly over that 6 weeks period, you'd take less and less as the pain became less and less. When the pain was gone, you'd stop taking the meds. At least that is how it is for me.

Now that schedule sucks. My ex-husband of more than 22 years use to work for a company that did 8 hour shifts, but rotated them - 2 weeks days, 2 weeks evenings and then 2 weeks nights. Your body will never be able to adjust. The circadia rythmn can never become stable. It eventually drives people crazy and some have to get off these shifts.

I'm not making excuses but I think that "Shift work" contributed me and the meds. Thanks for the advice,Kev

Old 11-23-2005, 02:04 PM   #39
    rk33
    (male)

rk33 HB User
    Wink Re: Aaaahhhhhh, help anyone ativan or ambien

Where are ya sk777

Old 11-23-2005, 03:51 PM   #40
    sk777
    Veteran
    (female)

sk777 HB User

Just got back from pdoc appt. Think if weren't for that wouldn't leave house. I think she is baffled why I don't just get myself to a meeting. Part of me is still in denial that this addiction thing isn't just going to go away, that if I don't acknowledge it, it might still go away. That and the one meeting I went to (alanon) many years ago was not all I was hoping it would be. And I don't feel well, and my back is killing me so sitting is no fun. And, let's see, any more excuses and rationalizations???????

Hey, I remember using pain meds that way, the non-addict way!

I had toridol for the first time recently, back nearly out and afraid to take hydro or ultram. Was good stuff. I wish it could be taken more often. I know it's really hard on the kidneys.

I've heard the same thing w/ the pain meds, take them on schedule so they work better.

I'm so happy tomorrow is a holiday and that nobody expects me to be anywhere. I haven't been to work since Monday, they think I'm out of town until Saturday. I'm totally convinced I'm going to get busted since I cancelled family vacation at last minute because "had to work." Oh the lies, the lies.

How're you doing Kev?

Old 11-23-2005, 04:06 PM   #41
    rk33
    (male)

rk33 HB User

Did you take Ultram? Like you I have been off all week also. I feal weak today, its as if I dont care whate I take, I just want to feal better. Do you ever reveal your name or what state you are in, if not I understand, Kev

Old 11-23-2005, 04:15 PM   #42
    sk777
    Veteran
    (female)

sk777 HB User

Both hydro and ultram get me high. Ultram makes me feel crappy so it hasn't had the same draw for me. Both give me a migraine, which is probably the only reason I got off of them (and on to other things).

I think I used to have my name on my posts (Karen) then I got a little paranoid recently. It's silly, but it's because I've only told two, well three, live people and I tell the people here so much. I'm on the west coast.

Old 11-23-2005, 04:16 PM   #43
    sk777
    Veteran
    (female)

sk777 HB User

Oh, and also they have all these rules about posting personal info and I don't want to get reprimanded and/or booted.

Old 11-23-2005, 04:21 PM   #44
    rk33
    (male)

rk33 HB User

Quote:
    Both hydro and ultram get me high. Ultram makes me feel crappy so it hasn't had the same draw for me. Both give me a migraine, which is probably the only reason I got off of them (and on to other things).

I think I used to have my name on my posts (Karen) then I got a little paranoid recently. It's silly, but it's because I've only told two, well three, live people and I tell the people here so much. I'm on the west coast.

That was my 2 meds also, I know what you mean about the name thing, If I could get rid of this anxiety which would eliminate the Klonipin and Ambien I woul be ok maybe. Maybe we can work this together and help each other. I'm on the East coast. Good to meet ya, Post name" Kev " I will be on here until I get to sleep which seems an eternity lately. Keep posting

Last edited by rk33; 11-23-2005 at 05:18 PM.

Old 11-23-2005, 04:23 PM   #45
    rk33
    (male)

rk33 HB User

Quote:
    Oh, and also they have all these rules about posting personal info and I don't want to get reprimanded and/or booted.
    Yea, I do not want to violate any or get booted

Closed Thread