It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• Aaaahhhhhh, help anyone ativan or ambien

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-23-2005, 05:15 PM   #61
    sk777
    Veteran
    (female)

sk777 HB User
    Re: Aaaahhhhhh, help anyone ativan or ambien

80 hrs? Do you get a week off after that?!

For me, I was so frustrated with feeling crappy every day and like I was never really sleeping, just putting in bed hours. I think it's a REM thing. I don't have crazy job hours but I've had insomnia my whole life. Then chronic pain plus insomnia. Then anxiety plus chronic pain plus insomnia. What's next? Oh wait, that was the addiction part. Addiction plus anxiety plus chronic pain plus insomnia.

Uh oh, I think I'm starting to get punchy again. All bets are off. Remember when I said I'm really only 12??!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-23-2005, 05:17 PM   #62
    rk33
    (male)

rk33 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sk777
    80 hrs? Do you get a week off after that?!

For me, I was so frustrated with feeling crappy every day and like I was never really sleeping, just putting in bed hours. I think it's a REM thing. I don't have crazy job hours but I've had insomnia my whole life. Then chronic pain plus insomnia. Then anxiety plus chronic pain plus insomnia. What's next? Oh wait, that was the addiction part. Addiction plus anxiety plus chronic pain plus insomnia.

Uh oh, I think I'm starting to get punchy again. All bets are off. Remember when I said I'm really only 12??!

Yea we get 6 days off but dead for half of it

Old 11-23-2005, 05:21 PM   #63
    sk777
    Veteran
    (female)

sk777 HB User

Yes. Stole the buspar from the cat. I know it's sick and funny and sick. And funny. I have to laugh because it's so absurd. And sick.

My cat has social phobia or anxiety disorder or he's just skittish and terrified of everything, don't really know. When they started doing construction here he would hide all the time, so I took him to the vet and they gave me buspar. For him. In attempt to get off the ambien and ativan, I stole his buspar.

I don't know anything about klonipin, sorry. Ativan is strong stuff though. This I know from watching ER. Watching ER is better than going to med school. I know lots of stuff that is probably totally wrong. Like I probably can't use "I need an ex-lap stat" correctly in a sentence.

Old 11-23-2005, 05:25 PM   #64
    rk33
    (male)

rk33 HB User

So are you totally c/t now or do you have more meds

Old 11-23-2005, 05:43 PM   #65
    sk777
    Veteran
    (female)

sk777 HB User

c/t off buspar or the benzos? I flushed all my hydro, ambien and ativan. I have ultram for a real pain emergency. But really, I love it for the few hours and then want to die when it wears off. I've been okay w/ that one. Probably because have taken it so few times. But I do definitely get buzzed off of it.

I have lots of buspar (I ordered it online, so if I need to give it to the cat, okay, I'm stocked) but just decided to c/t off of that too. That does nothing for me in the way of high. And not a whole lot in the anxiety dept either.

Old 11-23-2005, 05:48 PM   #66
    rk33
    (male)

rk33 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sk777
    c/t off buspar or the benzos? I flushed all my hydro, ambien and ativan. I have ultram for a real pain emergency. But really, I love it for the few hours and then want to die when it wears off. I've been okay w/ that one. Probably because have taken it so few times. But I do definitely get buzzed off of it.

I have lots of buspar (I ordered it online, so if I need to give it to the cat, okay, I'm stocked) but just decided to c/t off of that too. That does nothing for me in the way of high. And not a whole lot in the anxiety dept either.

Be careful with the ultram, thats what got me in my situatuion, it has a benzo affect along with the opiate. What kind of w/d symptoms are you having from the benzo and ambien

Old 11-23-2005, 06:07 PM   #67
    sk777
    Veteran
    (female)

sk777 HB User

My ultram experience is like opiate plus speed (but I believe you about the benzo part). It really ramps me up and makes me jittery and unable to sleep. Last time I took it with 2 ambien and was still awake all night long. I feel like I should flush it, too. Like I'm cheating or something. Though I feel like I'm cheating just craving drugs, not even using them.

w/d symptoms for me are cycling between intense anxiety and profound what's the point in living depression, then violent rage (in my head). I understand this to be "discomfort". No sleep. Migraine that will not go away. No appetite for a few days. Crazy restless, esp at night. It doesn't really sound different for me from hydro w/d when I read this, except much less on the gastro and way more on the anxiety/depression. I have intense craving for the drugs. When I do finally sleep, vivid, crazy dreaming. Also, I remember just sleeping badly during hydro, this time was it's getting light out and I am still up no sleep.

I did this in June? July? Something like that, mostly from Ambien, but way higher doses. This has been harder because back then, I was only "physically dependent" on it and had no plans to stop taking it permanently. I think I lasted maybe a week. I'm sure this is true for anyone who has quit before without really quitting, the head games are worse this time. I have the ambien/benzo head stuff and the hey, wait, I'm an Addict? Like capital A? Wait, what just happened???? And a whole lot of denial stuff. Back then I was denying there was anything to deny. I guess.

There's a post on here somewhere where somebody took it every night for 3 months and didn't even have slight "difficulty in falling asleep" the first night. So, everybody's different. I think I get physical dependence really easily.

Old 11-23-2005, 06:11 PM   #68
    Sarandipity
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Sarandipity HB User

Sk,
    Hello, Im Sara,,,, just posted a new thread but it does not do justice to what I would like to share with you... I know its hard, I know you hurt. I had back pain and when I got off of everything for 30 days.. it was better! Believe it or not when you stop taking ambien, and hydro's and all the oher meds.. your body actually acts like you are dying so that you will take MORE. The brain is such a powerful thing- and being an addict it will tell you lies like its okay to take something, maybe just one of something but it is a lie! If you are an addict taking anything can trigger your disease and then if I did that... I was off to the races again... another long bout with hydros... Until you allow yourself to totally go through 30 - 90 days of taking absolutely nothing.. and getting constant help, like having a sponsor... and you said you have stuff in the house---- it is just too easy to grab a sominex or anything mind altering. I am 14 months sober and I go see a doctor who is a addiction doctor as well and an internal med doc... I still have back pain now and then and so he gives me torodol shots, and its great to have him because If I want to take even any kind of cold med I check with their office first. You would be surprised to find out all the meds that will trigger the disease.

I know you dont know my history with pills, but reading your post made me want to tell you this because as hard as it is to hear.... taking NOTHING is the only way to acheive long term sobriety-- you can find out from addiction doctors what is safe to take.

Im a mom too! How old are your kids? Mine are 9 and 4 and since Ive been not sober I have laughed out loud with them and it seams to be the greatest gift!

The runny nose, back pain (I dont know your background-but I have a disk that is missing- blackend and gone from gymnastics)- ok, achyness, skin crawling, high blood presure, and the feeling that you are going to jump out of your skin if you dont take something will all go away once you stay off the pills for around 30- 90 days I promise... there is a rainbow.
    Sorry for your pain.. I know what you are going through and I would suggest to be honest with your family no matter what the situation is.. people will respect you in the long run and you will be glad you have people around you that hold you accountable.. when the going gets rough and you do think popping a pill is the answer. Your children, friends, coworkers, and all around you will be different because for me once I got clean the people around me did not change, I changed so my relationship with them were better...

I will be thinking of you and hoping you get the support you need to get through this rough time....

Love,
    Sara

Old 11-23-2005, 06:16 PM   #69
    rk33
    (male)

rk33 HB User

How did you deal with the anxiety? How did you get sleep and how long before sleep, Kev

Old 11-23-2005, 06:24 PM   #70
    sk777
    Veteran
    (female)

sk777 HB User

Thanks Sara, I totally hear what you are saying. I have this gut feeling about not taking stuff to sleep, etc, since my problems are back and sleep. (And migraines, but that's a different but oh yes possibly related story) I have degenerative disk disease, at least one really bad disk and I think some more in my neck that are not helping w/ the migraines. I'm getting mixed info on the sleep thing, I am seeing a pdoc who is an addiction person, though. For me, none of that other stuff works for sleep, so it's sort of moot.

30-90 days?! Okay, one day at a time, one day at a time... I think I know this but don't want to know this. I was having daily what I think were getting somewhere in the vicinity of panic attacks every night before the ambien while I was taking it so, this is not worse. This is better. The only difference being that I knew a pill was coming. So less anxiety, but no numb. I wrote it all down so I could remember how bad I felt most of the time.

Old 11-23-2005, 06:33 PM   #71
    rk33
    (male)

rk33 HB User

I thought I was just freaking when I would get those attacks in the evening until they got closer and closer together. Did you hurt in your chest or think you were having a heart attack, Kev

Old 11-23-2005, 06:35 PM   #72
    sk777
    Veteran
    (female)

sk777 HB User

kev:

Anxiety. Posting threads like "aaaaaaahhhhhhhhh help" on here. Knowing it's chemical helps. I knew after a few cycles I would get depressed so in a sick way I knew there would be an end to it. Now am mostly out of depressed but in a lower level of anxiety. Nothing like panic attacks. Writing in a journal. Watching television (the other drug!), but not like CSI or Law & Order, that was a bad idea. Funny, light tv. Talking to my on-call person. Searching for all little bits of info about benzos and withdrawal on the internet. Humorous web sites, too. Deep breathing.

Not sleeping. I was really tired but awake. So couldn't do anything but stay in bed and let my mind race away. Too tired to even watch tv. In the past I've rented a bunch of movies in anticipation of the sleepless nights. Last night stayed up watching tv until too tired to stay up and then actually finally slept. Past 3 am, but slept nearly 7 hours. Tomorrow I can sleep forever so I plan to get sleep where I can first, get back on schedule later.

Speaking of which, I'm not sure what job you have, does it have to be like that? My cousin is a nurse at Kaiser and I think she does 12-hr shifts 4 days per week, but I think always at the same time, not night shift, etc. I'm right now in the process of organizing my job-life around getting better. I don't know if you have any flexibility in that dept but it seems like your job is keeping you sick.

Old 11-23-2005, 06:38 PM   #73
    sk777
    Veteran
    (female)

sk777 HB User

Chest pain, unable to breath, feeling like I was going to jump out of my skin. Whoever invented that phrase was dead-on.

Told recently that when you are addicted, you are also in a bit of withdrawal all the time, I especially think that's true w/ Ambien since it leaves your system so quickly. I know when I was using it really heavily, I would start to get really short-tempered at around 4 pm and then panicked by like 8. This time, it was just the panicked by 8.

Old 11-23-2005, 06:46 PM   #74
    rk33
    (male)

rk33 HB User

Yea I think my job has much to do with it, I live in a very small town in Tn and good jobs are hard to come by. I hate you are going through this but it helps to talk with someone with the exact same issues. Because its hard to explain to someone thats not in the same boat. Do you have a normal day shift job? Its a great help and pleasure chatting with you on here. I wish the rule were not so restricted

Old 11-23-2005, 06:48 PM   #75
    Sarandipity
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Sarandipity HB User

YES! Chest pains, fear, high blood presure... It was dangerous. I was taken care of only because they (the rehab) checked my blood presure 3 times a day, and gave me the usual... melatonin for sleep- which only gave me nightmares... (it was the general complaint of most of the patients) so I know the bad dreams were from the melatonin.

SK, the most important thing is your blood presure... it can get dangerously high when getting off of everything.... there is a patch and I will find out the name for you... I acually was given the same patch when a doctor ref to give me anymore hydros- he just gave me this patch to lower my blood presure.
    I had a few doctors want to detox me from home... yeah.. that will work! First sign of discomfort and I was calling other doctors for more meds! I would take ANYTHING as long as it was pill form and would take away the awefulness I was feeling inside my body, my soul, and my degen disk L5S1.

Im gonna pull my med list to let you know all the safe meds they had me on to curb discomfort of detox but another secrect was hot baths, forcing myself to eat.. riding out the horrible pain, and walking and talking to other people who were going through the same thing. It helped a ton. But seriously, I had to be away from reality or "home life" for 30 days and have no access to any drugs of any kind to get clean... One huge secret I learned as well is that going without drugs for 30 - 90 days LARGELY decreases your body's crazy things it will do for another "pill" it gets easier everyday and then you one day you look back and its been 6 months, then 9 and so on...
    All my prayers to you! I will w/b soon with the detox med list...

Love,

Sara

Closed Thread