It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• question on opiate addiction, percocet/vicodin

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-17-2005, 10:50 AM   #1
    jayboy557
    Veteran
    (male)

jayboy557 HB User
    question on opiate addiction, percocet/vicodin

i take percocet for back problems. i do take more than i'm suppose to at times so my pain totally goes away. i was wondering what everyone thought was so great about these opiates and which ones they like the best. for me about an hour and a half after i take the percocet, i get tired and moody, and kinda feel hung over.

i'm asking because when it comes time to get off these meds, is it the short time that the med makes you feel good that everyone likes or do you use it to block out problems in life so as stress and depression and anxiety. i have anxiety so i was wondering if i could be taking more meds to get rid of the anxiety temporarily. i hope my questions aren't offensive. we all have problems and i'm concerned about my opiates use. jason

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-17-2005, 10:57 AM   #2
    KylenKY
    (male)

KylenKY HB User
    Re: question on opiate addiction, percocet/vicodin

you are an addict. seek help immediately.

Old 12-17-2005, 11:46 AM   #3
    jayboy557
    Veteran
    (male)

jayboy557 HB User

excuse me, can you explain please. what about my chronic pain and future surgeries. i have had one back surgery all ready and possibly have a neck surgery soon

Last edited by jayboy557; 12-17-2005 at 11:49 AM.

Old 12-17-2005, 11:59 AM   #4
    chefob1
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

chefob1 HB User

opiate is a greek term for euphoric....numb...that why you get numb when you take them...and you take more than what is required....i used to take them for pain at first like you,then to make numb all the problems that life brings you...if you wish to be self destructive continue to find ways to take the meds....you can use surgery if you need to justift yourself that you like the way the med makes you feel....be honest with yourself...the stuff is hard to get off of and once your hooked(sounds to me like your gettin there fast) its hard to get its claws out of you....trust me on this one...i am a recovering addict and will be for the rest of my life....ive done hrdro,oxycodone,all of it....every opiate available to man,heroin,methadone,darvocett,ect....tr ust me pal,you dont want to take opiates unless under a physicians sharp eye....they need to have lots better control on this stuff....ill say a prayer for you brother,god bless.....chef

Old 12-17-2005, 12:10 PM   #5
    agentalias
    (female)

agentalias HB User

Great post Chef. Listen to Chef. He always has sound advice about being an addict.

Old 12-17-2005, 12:26 PM   #6
    tina76
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tina76 HB User

Hi Jayboy - I have to take pain meds on a daily basis due to a chronic pain condition. I have a very addictive personality and had major troubles over the past 6 years taking my pills as prescribed. Like you, part of the problem was that the meds were not sufficiently treating my pain but I also know that I took them at other times just because I "wanted" too. I told my doctors that I was having this problem and wanted to go off the meds. Unfortunatley, they will not do surgery for me for at least 5 more years ( I am too young for the surgery they want to do, she wants me to be at least 35 because it will prevent me from ever being able to have kids. NO doctor wants to do it for me) and that means that I cannot go off the pills. It may be the same with you until you can get your pain problem resolved...sometimes it is out of our hands. I know that if I go off my meds I end up in the hospital because of the pain and then my condition worsens. SO.... they switched me to a med that actually treated the pain properly (methadone) so I didn't need to take more to self-medicate my pain AND now I have my brother hold my meds for me and dole them out in the proper amount each morning. I had to give up control of the meds completely. Hopefully someday I will be strong enough and in contol of my addiction to hold them myself.

You should really talk to your doctors about your concerns. The first thing to tell them is that the dose of meds they have you on is not making your pain better. They may be able to adjust the dosage or even change meds completely. That way you will not feel the need to take more of the meds than prescribed for pain management issues. You should also tell them your concerns about your anxiety and that you feel the urge to take more of the pills to feel "better" about that. If you don't already, you may want to think about having your anxiety treated by a doctor. There are many non-addictive medications that can work for that sort of thing. I have problems with anxiety/depression and I take an anti-depressant called celexa. I have had a lot of success with it. I also have a med to take when my anxiety feels out of control called Lorazapam. If your anxiety is one of the reasons you feel you are taking extra percocet, treating it with the proper meds might be able to stop that urge for you. The best thing you can do is discuss all of this with your doctor. They are very used to hearing about these sorts of problems when it comes to patients and pain medications so you don't need to feel embarrassed.

Good Luck! Keep us posted as to what you decide to do.

Old 12-17-2005, 12:56 PM   #7
    jayboy557
    Veteran
    (male)

jayboy557 HB User

thanks for the advice

Old 12-17-2005, 02:23 PM   #8
    Blasterboy
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Blasterboy HB UserBlasterboy HB User

jayboy, well done for being honest about your use of these meds. It could be a problem for you if you keep doing this, but I think it's too harse to brand you an addict as one poster did. YOu may be, but only you can realise this and I would suggest that you try and look back at your use of alcohol and other substances. If you see other warning signs then you should look to talk to an addiction counsellor or even visit an NA meeting. Either way you should be honest with you doctor about the use of your medications and try to keep been honest with yourself.

Best Wishes in the meantime.

Old 12-17-2005, 02:39 PM   #9
    BeginAgain
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

BeginAgain HB User

Hi jayboy,
    I agree with blaster. It's good that you are looking at your situation honestly and becoming aware of the possibility of heading down the wrong path. You certainly could be taking them to help deal with anxiety - for me it was the "right with the world" feeling that got me hooked. I firmly believe that there are those who take an opiate and feel sleepy or sick and have no desire to take another one - then there are those who feel a sense of well being and even energy (like me) and there goes the potential for addiction.

Certainly continue to be conscious of your concerns and even discuss with your doctor if you feel you need to. One thing is certain - when you get ready to stop you might need to taper. Even if you aren't addicted - you likely will still have some withdrawl simply because the body becomes dependent. It will probably be wise to discuss with your doc at that time and set up a short taper plan.

Good luck and we will be around for you if you need to talk or have questions we can help answer.

Old 12-17-2005, 11:13 PM   #10
    opiateskill000

opiateskill000 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jayboy557
    i take percocet for back problems. i do take more than i'm suppose to at times so my pain totally goes away. i was wondering what everyone thought was so great about these opiates and which ones they like the best. for me about an hour and a half after i take the percocet, i get tired and moody, and kinda feel hung over.

i'm asking because when it comes time to get off these meds, is it the short time that the med makes you feel good that everyone likes or do you use it to block out problems in life so as stress and depression and anxiety. i have anxiety so i was wondering if i could be taking more meds to get rid of the anxiety temporarily. i hope my questions aren't offensive. we all have problems and i'm concerned about my opiates use. jason
    As a recovering opiate addict, I found the warm mellow pleasure of a typical opiate high to be that which is "so great about these opiates." No one can tell you that you are an addict, so I would suggest disregarding the first reply to your post. Since you are taking more than prescribed, you are now abusing perscription opiates (rather than simply using them correctly). Yes, people abuse opiates to (unsuccessfully) cope with anxiety/depression/etc. As the abuse progresses, the anxiety and depression get continually worse, and you require higher doses of opiates to feel any effect. You become physically dependent on them, and experience physical withdrawal symptoms if you don't take them every day or every few hours. Your questions are not offensive. If you think you might have a problem with this or any other mind or mood-altering drug, there are twelve-step fellowships designed to help you recover from this problem and improve your life. You can call information for a helpline to one of these fellowships. Good luck.

Closed Thread