It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• Oxy, Methadose, Crack - The Withdrawl Begins

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-04-2006, 09:40 AM   #1
    Proward
    (male)

Proward HB User
    Oxy, Methadose, Crack - The Withdrawl Begins

Well, it has been a year since I wrote about my experiences withdrawing through an Oxy ct withdraw during the first week of January, 2005. I wrote for about 8 days and then, gradually, like an idiot, I started using again. A year later and I am again determined to get myself clean.

The year has had its ups and downs. The longest I have gone during the entire year without doing any type of opiat is 2 weeks. I have went through short spurts of ct withdrawls because I was away on business travel and ran out or couldn't find any. This past July, I was introduced and took Methadose for the first time. I had a friend who started getting them prescribed for back pain (this friend is a big pill head) and he told me that it was a miracle drug for relieving the opiat and oxy withdrawl symptoms. So, I didn't have any oxys so I took about 20 mg of methadose and it made me high. I have used it several times this year as a substitute for the oxys, taking between 20 and 40mg a day, sometimes mixing oxys and methadose (I know, how stipud). I have found that if I took a 10mg meth after sniffing a 40 of oxy, I would get very moody, angry, short tempered, depressed and very, very sleepy and sort of nauseas (I know why).

So, to be short, my habit was way up between the end of Thanksgiving and the New Years. Sniffing between 80 to 120mg of oxy a day (if I had it) and when I had methadose, I would do between 20 and 40mg a day. I also started going to a friend's house where there was always crack so I started smoking crack pretty regularly as well, sniffing an oxy afterwards to bring me around. I also had an all night crack binge with a friend on Thursday night, 12/29 ($750.00 worth). What an idiot. These are the things that tear me apart. The lack of self control.

Well, I sniffed 3 - 40mg oxys on Sunday, I sniffed 1 - 40mg oxy and took a 10mg meth on Monday, Yesterday (Tuesday, 1/3), I took a 10mg meth and today, I just took about 5mg of meth. I have 5mg of methadose left at home and am trying to taper a little so as to avoid those godawful withdrawls. I know I am in for it atleast somewhat, because of the amount and duration of my last binging, between November 25th or so through the end of December.

I am determined to kick this. I have had this thing on my back since about June of 2003.

I am planning on attending NA meetings tonight and Friday night and I am going through this with a very close friend who is kicking apretty bad coke habit who is required to attend meetings and see a PO, etc.

My question is, what is your opinion of what I can expect with this withdrawl. I don't know how much my system is dependent on the Methadose at this point. I know that using it is only a substitute and not a cure. In essence, a Methadone or Methdose program for opiate withdrawl causes the addict to stay addicted to the opiate but is able to function normally. Methadose is an opiate that last much, much longer, with a half-life of about 72 hours so that is why withdrawls from it lasts so much longer.

What do you think I can expect? I am trying to save my last 5mg methadose for tomorrow, roughly about 24 hours after I just took this other 5mg. I can get more methadose tonight if needed if you think I would do better to have a longer taper program.

Just throwing this out there. This board was a real comfort last January when I was going through that week of withdrawl.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-04-2006, 09:54 AM   #2
    tina76
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tina76 HB User
    Re: Oxy, Methadose, Crack - The Withdrawl Begins

Proward - I am on methadone for pain management (I use this board as well because I have had major addiction issues and need it to help me stay on the straight and narrow with the pain meds I have to take). I have heard from many peopel that the w/d off of methadone (methadose) is worse than any other. Thankfully I have not had to experience it. Hopefully you haven't been on it long enough for it to cause as much of a problem as the oxy's.

Another question I have is if you have thought about getting hooked up with a mehtadone clinic and trying to quit the oxy's etc... that way? The amount of methadone you were taking was much less than what they use for methadone maintenance. I was told by the clinic here that they treat for addiction at 80-200mg a day. I know that methadone has helped some addicts get and stay off the other opiates.... don't know how you would feel about that. Others have been using sub as well but it seems to be harder to get into a sub program than into a methadone clinic.... Just a couple of thoughts.

Good luck!!!

Old 01-04-2006, 10:19 AM   #3
    Proward
    (male)

Proward HB User

Thanks for the reply. I am hoping that I can get by most of the severe symptoms of the oxy withdrawls by taking very small amounts of Methadose. For me, the oxy withdrawls in the past started about 14 - 24 hours into a cold turkey. They were pretty bad for a coupld days and then started to subside at a pretty good pace. After a few days, I was through the worst of it. With the metadose, I am hoping that the small amounts of the meth will help me get by the first 48 - 72 hours of having no oxy in my system and then I can deal with expelling the small amount of methadose (about 20mg in 3 days) out of my system with relatively minor symptoms.

Then, with NA support and the support of this board, I can deal with the mental side of whole damn cycle of addiction.

I have thought about a Methadone Maintenance Program but from all that I have read, clinics have a tendancy to keep people on methadone way too long, sometimes for several years. If you are taking it for pain, that is one thing, but if you are taking it for opiate addiction, my idea would be do take it for a very short period of time with a relatively drastic taper period. No matter how you get clean, there is going to be a certain level of discomfort, both mentally and physically. I am simply trying to minimize the discomfort and not substitute one opiate for another.

Then, I will be an addict for the rest of my life because of the memory of getting high and the memory of what it felt like, even if my body forgets.

Thanks again for the response.

Last edited by Proward; 01-04-2006 at 10:23 AM. Reason: More to add

Old 01-04-2006, 10:24 AM   #4
    tina76
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tina76 HB User

I am definitely here rooting for you Proward! I know that you can do this. You've already taken the hardest step by deciding to quit. Yes, hopefully the methadose will help you thru the w/d. At that low of a dose I can't imagine you will have a lot of trouble getting the methadone out of your system then. With any luck the physical w/d won't be that bad for you and then all you'll have to deal with is the emotional stuff... which in reality is so much worse... but at least you won't be feeling physically sick while fighting the mental urges!

Remember to keep posting! I know that it helps me a lot when I am feeling down and like I need to pop a bunch of pills to feel good, clean the house, be happy, etc... Helps to kepe my mind off of the pills. AND it is so graet to be able to talk to pepole that really and truly know what you are going thru. It has helped me SO much. I've met the greatest people here and I don't know what I would do without everyone!

Old 01-04-2006, 10:38 AM   #5
    lisaaahubb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lisaaahubb HB User

Hi proward, i kinda remember your name from awhile ago....
    If i were you, i would taper down the best i could with the meth.....no more oxy. Oxy is a big comedown in itself, never mind mixing methadose and crack into the mix. Set your mind up that there is no more crack or oxy....and you only take tiny amounts of the meth to starve off w/d..... Otherwise i would go in-patient. I think it is gonna be a rough w/d for you. Meth's half-life is longer than other opiates...
    NA is a super, super idea....reach out when you are there, don't just sit in the back...make yourself known as a newbie, and you will be helped.
    It is o.k. to go to meetings puking sick.....i did when i was kickin' oxy, and although it wasn't pretty....the people there knew i was serious about cleaning up my act. I eventually had to go to the ER, cuz i had such bad stomach cramps i was keeled over....the runs made me dehydrate too. A friend of mine just went to treatment for pain pills 3 weeks ago....he was in there 5 days and they did a taper with suboxone. He is doing really well, i can't believe it. He claims he has no energy, but i see him doing more now than i ever have in the past few years. He was looking to get on sub. for maintanence, but the waiting list is 3+ months.....so he is hanging in there.

I wish you the best....stay focused these next few days and weeks. You are definitely gonna be feeling like crap, but use that meth whenever you feel the w/d symptoms creeping up. Make up your mind you aren't gonna get high on it and it is strictly used for dope-sickness....
    I will check in on you.....i know how hard this is gonna be....stay strong!
    lots of luv
    LISA
    p.s.....don't forget some dramamine for puking and anxiety, Immodium for runs, hot baths for restless leg....vitamin water works good for that too! Do you have anything for anxiety? If you don't have any benzos, you better grab some herbal tea or tylenol p.m..... Make a shopping list, maybe rent a few movies, grab a couple of magazines.....try to "prepare" so it won't be that bad....
    I have been thru oxy w/d 1000 times, it sucks no matter how you look at it.
    You will be in my thoughts and prayers....hang in there!

Old 01-04-2006, 10:55 AM   #6
    Proward
    (male)

Proward HB User

Thanks. Lisaaa -- I remember you as well and see your posts all over this board.

Thanks for the advice. I hope you are wrong about the withdrawls being bad for me. I know Methadose has a very long half life (don't even really know what that is. Why not say, 'life' instead. Why 'Half-Life'?).

I have also been through the withdrawls with oxy several times. I have been dope sick and dope sick and dope sick. Yet, when the opportunity present itself, the opiate high is on again and then I have to worry about the godawful withdrawls again.

This might be a bad one for me. Between the end of November and the end of December, I was hitting it pretty hard. My habit is a lot smaller than many that I have read about but big enough by any means. I just hope the Methadose will help.

Do you think that I should think about geting maybe 5 more 10mg meths tablets to assist with the taper? Maybe even 3 and cut them up into quarters (2.5mg each) and taper with that?

Old 01-04-2006, 11:08 AM   #7
    lisaaahubb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lisaaahubb HB User

definitely would try to obtain more meth. than you have and TAPER
    Meth and sub for 5 days is what they do in rehab.....try to follow the same.
    I wish i was wrong about the w/d being bad, but i just know the outcome of playing with oxy...and then you mixed crack into the mix....uggghhh!!!!
    I would only take the meth. when you start to feel symptoms, and only take enough to stop them.....
    You are riding a fine line ....but i think you can do this with lots of will power. I am just worried if you get more meth. that you will use it to get high, instead of a w/d aid. So be aware of that! Do not allow yourself a "high" for any reason. You are taking it strictly to minimize the severity of your w/d.....
    I will be routing for ya.....if i can get off of oxy---ANYONE CAN! I haven't touched an oxy in a very long time. Have even seen people doing them in front of me, got offered some on x-mas.....NO WAY....i pay too hard when i play with oxy. It is a whole different level, than percs or vikes, no doubt about it!
    Try to plan out a taper schedule, and i am gonna call a friend that knows alot about meth.....i will write back soon, i gotta go pick my daughter up from school. Stay strong and make out that plan.....
    lots of luv,
    LISA

Old 01-04-2006, 11:35 AM   #8
    mpvt
    Inactive
    (male)

mpvt HB User

I can't condone using a drug that isn't prescribed to you but I understand why your doing it.Can you go to a methadone clinic and enter a detox program there???......Dave

Old 01-04-2006, 11:41 AM   #9
    Proward
    (male)

Proward HB User

Thanks, Lisaaaa - I am also cutting out the alcohol - Yea, forgot about the alcohol!! I drink beer daily and like to drink especially when I do some kind of opiate. It enhances the high, for sure, and also makes it more dangerous.

Well, no beer since Monday mid-evening. So, no alcohol for almost 48 hours and counting. I would always drink beer when I got home from work. It is a culture in my family. Everyone drinks.

No drink or drugs. I hope to be able to look back during the Holiday Season of 2006 and say, "I had a damn good year and I am now the man I had hoped I could be."

Old 01-04-2006, 12:24 PM   #10
    tina76
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tina76 HB User

I hope that you reach ALL of your goals Proward! Wow... you are quitting a lot of things all at once aren't you! Good for you! What you are doign takes a lot of will power. I'm very happy for you!

Old 01-05-2006, 05:08 AM   #11
    Proward
    (male)

Proward HB User

Thanks for the comments. I have been surprised so far about the lack of any real symptoms. I haven't had an Oxy since this past Monday late morning, around 11:00am, when I sniffed a 40mg. Later that day, I took a 10mg methadose tablet. I took a 10mg Methadose tablet on Tuesday at around 11:00am and then took 5mg of methadose at around 11:00am yesterday, Wednesday, 1/4/06.

I had another decent night last night. I craved a beer when I got home from work and would have drank one if I had one in the house but the fridge was dry so I opted for herbal antioxidant green tea. I had an appetite and I had a short bout of diahrreah (too much information, huh?). I went to bed and slept well, dreamt all night long. No restless legs or arms, no insomnia, no feelings of depression or dread. These are all major symptoms that I experience when I have given up the opiates in the past. I know that the methadose is the most likely culprit for helping me to stave off the withdrawl symptoms and that I am just probably prolonging the agony but what surprises me is that over the course of several days, I have taken extremely low doses of methadose compared to what I am used to. When I have taken them in the past, I would take 20 to 40mg a day. Since Tuesday, I have only taken 15mg. 15mg in almost 72 hours.

I am hoping that the short taper that I am doing with the Methadose is going to help me bypass a lot of the intense and dramatic oxy withdrawls that I have experienced in the past.

Old 01-05-2006, 10:33 AM   #12
    Proward
    (male)

Proward HB User

I just finished doing some research on then et regarding methadose and I feel a bit disheartened.

I know the only way to get clean is to stop taking everything.

I took about 2.5mg of methadose at 10:00am this morning because the symptoms were hitting me a little.

I'll never be truly clean with all of the opiates out of my system, with my body and mind making all of it's required chemicals naturally unless I just stop.

I'm going to be in for it, though. That is what I dread.

Old 01-05-2006, 11:29 AM   #13
    tina76
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tina76 HB User

Well if you keep dropping the dose of the methadose and stay off everything else hoepfully your body will be slowly adapting to having less and less of EVERYthing and when you DO reach the lowest dose of the methadose (which it sounds like you are at) and jump off, the w/d shouldn't be TOO bad. At least I hope not. The way you are doing it does make the most sense to me to limit the w/d symptoms.

Don't get down on yourself. You have a plan. And at the end of the plan you are OFF the drugs. That is further than you were a week ago! Each step is a step in the right direction. It seems to me that whether you continue tapering or if you go cold turkey you are at least on the same path, and that is a good thing.

Old 01-05-2006, 04:00 PM   #14
    Stillcraze
    (male)

Stillcraze HB User

Hey Proward, I can relate to the dramatic oxy WD's. I was snorting 5 , 80's a day. I never could taper with the oxy's. I would never have dreamed of wasting one by swallowing it whole. I used Hydro's to taper down. As you may know, they don't snort very well. Hope the meth is working and not just delaying. There really is no painless way to do this. Except going under anestesia and that cost around 10'000. My wife and I were considering it for me.
    Hang in there.
    Stillcraze

Old 01-06-2006, 04:09 AM   #15
    Proward
    (male)

Proward HB User

Thanks for the posts. I guess today is my jump off. I just took my last 2.2mg or so of methadose (7:08am EST). I'm out and don't plan on buying anymore. Atleast I'll be at home if things get bad tomorrow or Sunday.

Closed Thread