It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• Relapse, new job, need tapering advice

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-17-2006, 04:42 AM   #1
    ClaraBo
    Inactive
    (female)

ClaraBo HB User
    Relapse, new job, need tapering advice

I relapsed and am back to 30 mg vic per day. I was offered a great job to start in a few days. I want to stop this. I have found NA meetings, have support at home. With the new job, I can't do what I did before (the thomas method and shut myself up in the house for the next 2 weeks). Has anyone tapered slowly? I am calling my doc today and going to beg for an appt to tell him everything and see if he will help me taper. I have heard different opinions on this. I think I can do this - because it is the only way, and when my mind is occupied, I feel less discomfort with w/d, IF the w/d is not at severe level. Anyone please let me know how they tapered. Some have said reduce by 50% per week, others have said 25%. I have the will power and the desire, and the help. I know that 30mg day is "not that much", but for me, it is. I am as much an abuser as the next guy. Please help, want to start the new job and want to get the vic gone. I am praying that this post gets replies.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-17-2006, 04:56 AM   #2
    gina042
    (female)

gina042 HB User
    Re: Relapse, new job, need tapering advice

ClaraBo: Let me know what your doctor said although I can't go for outside help. I too am wanting to taper from 30mgs/day. Thank you for you insight.

Old 01-17-2006, 06:33 AM   #3
    valleygurl
    Inactive
    (female)

valleygurl HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ClaraBo
    I relapsed and am back to 30 mg vic per day. I was offered a great job to start in a few days. I want to stop this. I have found NA meetings, have support at home. With the new job, I can't do what I did before (the thomas method and shut myself up in the house for the next 2 weeks). Has anyone tapered slowly? I am calling my doc today and going to beg for an appt to tell him everything and see if he will help me taper. I have heard different opinions on this. I think I can do this - because it is the only way, and when my mind is occupied, I feel less discomfort with w/d, IF the w/d is not at severe level. Anyone please let me know how they tapered. Some have said reduce by 50% per week, others have said 25%. I have the will power and the desire, and the help. I know that 30mg day is "not that much", but for me, it is. I am as much an abuser as the next guy. Please help, want to start the new job and want to get the vic gone. I am praying that this post gets replies.
    Hi There, Are you taking 5mg or 10 mg pills? Also what is your normal schedule when you take the pills?

If you give me some more info i can probably help you with a taper schedule.

Best of luck,
    Valley

Old 01-17-2006, 06:42 AM   #4
    ClaraBo
    Inactive
    (female)

ClaraBo HB User

In the morning I take 10mg, then about 5 hours later 10mg, then about 6 hours later 10mg. I go to sleep with w/d symptoms and wake up with them. Have been on them 6 months at this schedule. THANK YOU for your help. Called my doc and his nurse is going to get message to him. She said wait 12 hours between, but I told her that throws me into w/d. My doc can't see me today, but his nurse is going to call me back once she has spoken to him.

Old 01-17-2006, 06:49 AM   #5
    dream life
    (female)

dream life HB User

Just wanted to wish you the best of luck! We're here for you.

Old 01-17-2006, 07:05 AM   #6
    tina76
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tina76 HB User

Also... do you have someone to hold your meds for you and to only give you what is allotted for your taper each day? That would make things easier and more likely to work, at least in my opinion. As we all know, one of the reasons tapering doesn't work for so many is that we, as addicts, have a hard time having, for example, 10 pills in our hand and only letting ourselves take 2 every 8 hours or something. It's SO tempting to take extra and that ends up happening, I know it has with me. So if you have someone that would be willing to help you by holding and controlling what you have access to that would be great....

Old 01-17-2006, 07:15 AM   #7
    valleygurl
    Inactive
    (female)

valleygurl HB User

Quote:
    In the morning I take 10mg, then about 5 hours later 10mg, then about 6 hours later 10mg. I go to sleep with w/d symptoms and wake up with them. Have been on them 6 months at this schedule. THANK YOU for your help. Called my doc and his nurse is going to get message to him. She said wait 12 hours between, but I told her that throws me into w/d. My doc can't see me today, but his nurse is going to call me back once she has spoken to him.
    ClaraBo, Are you taking (1) - 10mg pill or (2) - 5 mg pills at a time?

Valley

Old 01-17-2006, 08:02 AM   #8
    Mike_NY
    (male)

Mike_NY HB User

I think you can do this!

Start by stabilizing yourself..take them at regular intervals, on a full stomach every time. No alcohol.

Then mentally prepare yourself for a target date and jump off.

You can do this, I mean it. You may feel a little raw emotionally for a few days, and slightly under the weather.

It's the easiest way, IMO. You're not doing that much, so you shouldn't have to suffer. It's easier when you are prepared and willing.

This of course is just the first step. It seems like you have a support system in place, so that's a great help for the long term.

Good luck.

Mike

Old 01-17-2006, 10:36 AM   #9
    barbaric_yawp
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

barbaric_yawp HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mike_NY
    I think you can do this!

Start by stabilizing yourself..take them at regular intervals, on a full stomach every time. No alcohol.

Then mentally prepare yourself for a target date and jump off.

You can do this, I mean it. You may feel a little raw emotionally for a few days, and slightly under the weather.

It's the easiest way, IMO. You're not doing that much, so you shouldn't have to suffer. It's easier when you are prepared and willing.

This of course is just the first step. It seems like you have a support system in place, so that's a great help for the long term.

Good luck.

Mike

I agree totally, just wanted to wish you the best of luck!

b.y.

Old 01-17-2006, 11:07 AM   #10
    man74
    (male)

man74 HB User

I am not familiar with the doseages you describe. I know Vikes as regualar and extra strength. I too relasped and am now on my third week of my second recovery. I had absolutely no WD's this time around because I tapered. It was totally out of my control but it just happened that way. I was doing ten to 12 extra stregnths a day. Then my taper time was over about two weeks. I did four for a couple of days, then two for a couple more days. Then I did none for a day. I did two for a couple more days, then none. Then two and two and I was done. No WD's. One my first recovery I went cold turkey and it was a nightmare. My tapering was only due to the availibility of pills. I could have never done it on my own.

Old 01-17-2006, 11:12 AM   #11
    barbaric_yawp
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

barbaric_yawp HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by xrayman7040
    I am not familiar with the doseages you describe. I know Vikes as regualar and extra strength. I too relasped and am now on my third week of my second recovery. I had absolutely no WD's this time around because I tapered. It was totally out of my control but it just happened that way. I was doing ten to 12 extra stregnths a day. Then my taper time was over about two weeks. I did four for a couple of days, then two for a couple more days. Then I did none for a day. I did two for a couple more days, then none. Then two and two and I was done. No WD's. One my first recovery I went cold turkey and it was a nightmare. My tapering was only due to the availibility of pills. I could have never done it on my own.

GOOD JOB XRAY!

Old 01-17-2006, 12:36 PM   #12
    ClaraBo
    Inactive
    (female)

ClaraBo HB User

Thanks to everyone for encouraging me. I didn't find a lot of that the first time around. I know I'm not "doing a lot", but it's all relative. Yes, my husband can hold by pills. Does a draw the time in between out longer method work better than a take less dosage each day at same time? Does that make sense? I did this before and even at such a "lose dose", I was pretty miserable for a good 10 days. I'm afraid of that again. I am lacking in hope. I have the will, and I have the desire. I am sick of how the pills are controlling me. I am ashamed, I am depressed. I need hope.

Old 01-17-2006, 12:46 PM   #13
    barbaric_yawp
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

barbaric_yawp HB User

Quote:
    Thanks to everyone for encouraging me. I didn't find a lot of that the first time around. I know I'm not "doing a lot", but it's all relative. Yes, my husband can hold by pills. Does a draw the time in between out longer method work better than a take less dosage each day at same time? Does that make sense? I did this before and even at such a "lose dose", I was pretty miserable for a good 10 days. I'm afraid of that again. I am lacking in hope. .

Hope is Here!!! I support and applaud your efforts! Yes, doing less in a day is a way of tapering and totally makes sense. Perhaps sticking to a schedule will help. When you feel strong enough, continue to lessen your amounts each day. I PROMISE there is light at the end of the tunnel.

I have the will, and I have the desire. I am sick of how the pills are controlling me. I am ashamed, I am depressed. I need hope

You are not alone, keep reminding yourself that you are not a bad person, just a person with a bad habit. No need to feel ashamed, don't give up hope. Depression is normal, but if you continue to feel bad, I will keep checking your thread and chime in and help as best I can!

You are doing awesome, Remember: always love yourself for you are important, always love life for it is magnificant, and keep others close for they are your lifeline....

B.Y.

Old 01-17-2006, 01:43 PM   #14
    tina76
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tina76 HB User

Clarabo- It's good that your husband can hold your pills for you. What I do is I have my brother give me my 4 pills all at once in the morning. It will be up to you how you want to do it, like that OR have him give you each dose when it is due.... As for the way you have been tapering... How many days in a row have you been following this dosing schedule? (the 30mg a day at three seperate intervals) If you drop your dosage every day you are going to feel w/d for sure. BUT, you will get off the pills faster. But every time you drop the dosage you will be in more and more w/d. Some people take their taper a little bit slower and it helps avoid the really major w/d symptoms.

For example, you take three seperate dosages of 10mg each time. You could stay at this dose for about a week. You said you are already feeling w/d at this dose. The longer you STAY at this dosage you body will begin to adjust to having only 30mg a day and your w/d symptoms will start to die down. So for a slow taper you would wait until you start feeling better at the 30mg per day. When you do start feeling better (hopefully it would be one week, but it could be sooner or longer but we'll use a week for the example), and you have adjsted to this amount, THEN you would drop your dosage by 5-10mg depending on how fast you want to go. Then you would take that 25mg per day for a week, then the next week drop another 5mg a day.

Personally if it is possible I always suggest to people that they do the slow taper. I know that some people would disagree with me and say that it is better to just go cold turkey and use a really fast taper and just get it over with as quickly as possible. But I feel that if it was ME, I would be more likely to start using again if I am feeling too miserable. Does that make sense? It just seems more likely that if you are tapering a rate that is extremely hard for you to manage the w/d etc... then you would be more likely to relapse because you would be so upset and sick all the time. Where, I would imagine, if you taper nice and slow at a rate that you can truly handle then your body and mind are slowly adapting to taking less and less w/out all the extreme w/d symptoms being so bad. That is just my personal opinion...it's different for everyone and you will have to decide which plan suits you best.

You should look up some of the old posts by Buzzkiller. He was on oxycodone and he did a taper plan that worked VERY well for him. He was able to get off the pills pretty quickly. It was an extreme taper for him, but he followed strict taper schedule that he worked out with his doctor's office. It did move pretty quickly but he did give himself multiple days (if not a week, don't remember exactly) in between dropping doses to give his body time to adjust to each change.

Old 01-18-2006, 03:33 AM   #15
    valleygurl
    Inactive
    (female)

valleygurl HB User

ClaraBo,

When the doctor wrote out a taper for me he dropped the dosage by 5mg every 7 days. It takes a little longer to taper but will reduce the wd's greatly, especially if you are starting a new job.

So if you are taking 10mg's 3 times per day, this is how I would taper:
    (of course adjusting the dosage times to your schedule)

Morning Noon Night

Week 1 10 mg 10 mg 5 mg
    Week 2 10 mg 5 mg 5 mg
    Week 3 5 mg 5 mg 5 mg
    Week 4 5 mg 5 mg 0 mg
    Week 5 5 mg 0 mg 0 mg
    Week 6 STOP

If you think that the discomfort will be too much to jump off at 5 mg's
    then you could always split that 5 mg pill in half and take a half a pill on week 6 and then jump off at week 7.

Do whatever feels right for you.

Good luck,
    Valley

Closed Thread