It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• zanax wd's-weird smell

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-22-2006, 06:42 PM   #1
    makinit
    (male)

makinit HB User
    Question zanax wd's-weird smell

I had been on zanax 0.5, 3x daily for 30 days. I started a tapering plan 2 weeks ago and stopped on 1-20-06. I am having insomia, aniexty, pain in chest and back and a weird chemical smell coming from my nose. Anyone experience this before and also how long does this last (10, 20,30 days or more) If anyone can share there experience with me, It would be greatly appreciated! I am currently on no other medication, but have had a past long history of opiates, of which, I am now clean of. Help me understand what I am facing and how long.

makinit

Last edited by makinit; 01-22-2006 at 06:43 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-23-2006, 12:48 PM   #2
    mpvt
    Inactive
    (male)

mpvt HB User
    Re: zanax wd's-weird smell

If I am reading your post properly you have only been on them for 30days plus a 2 week taper.Your experiencing benzodiazepine withdrawls that's for sure,all the symptoms you have are quite common along with the weird smell(very common complaint).It can take awhile for your brain to readjust to life without zanax (benzodiazepines can be very addictive).I would give it another week before I went to the doctor but that's just my opinion.Drink lots of fluids and try and eat as normal.Also get out and go for walks as often as you can.Good luck and let us know how your making out.One thing I wouldn't do if I were you and that is don't take any more of the zanax.You've got first hand knowledge of what this stuff can do to you.......Dave

Old 01-23-2006, 01:07 PM   #3
    Blasterboy
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Blasterboy HB UserBlasterboy HB User

does this weird smell smell a little like stale urine?

Old 01-23-2006, 04:20 PM   #4
    makinit
    (male)

makinit HB User

Dave, thanks for your reply! Do you have any idea how long these symptoms last, and how long before I may get any sleep, at all. thanks for the information. I have been walking and eating alot, but I am going through a rough time and I need all the help I can get. This is not easy, please write back with any more info. thanks--Makinit

Blasterball, I am not sure what exactly the smell is, but it mimmicks a highly intense chemical, mildew and urine combined! Hows that for an answer? Have you or someone you know been through this, if so, please share....thanks makinit

Last edited by makinit; 01-23-2006 at 04:24 PM. Reason: misspelling

Old 01-23-2006, 04:28 PM   #5
    slipperyslope
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

slipperyslope HB User

Hey Makinit, make sure your usin breath mints with that Horse breath of Urine and mold. LOL!!! Hang in there your doin great:.

Old 01-24-2006, 07:50 AM   #6
    JEDDD5
    (female)

JEDDD5 HB User

Hello! I'm taperings off benzos also right now. I too have the funny smell along with a strange taste in my mouth. My chest and back hurt also. I have panic/anxiety disorder so that doesn't help much either. Hang in there. I have a question for you? Do all the muscles in your back feel spastic and tight? Does your chest hurt and make you sometimes wonder if it is not the W/D's but a heart problem? Just asking - this is something thats been bugging me since I began the taper. Good luck - you can do it!!!!

Old 01-24-2006, 04:57 PM   #7
    hoapfloats
    (female)

hoapfloats HB User

Hey Makinit good Job on your recovery! That is so strange I get the same wierd smell and taste thing comming off benzos or opiates, its like everything smells like ***!! Anyways hows the rest of the wds going? I am so proud of you,
    Kelley

Old 01-24-2006, 08:41 PM   #8
    makinit
    (male)

makinit HB User

JEDDD5, oh my god all those sysmtoms I have. You hit the nail on the head. My neck and back are getting, to the point where, Its all locking up on me.(coming up on 5 days, at 12.00 EST. No Xanax) I wish someone had an idea of how long this torture last. The insomia and the ******* stabbing spear I have in the middle of my back and chest are about to make me pick up my 357 mag(pistol). My poor mattress has a toss and turn pattern of me in it. My skin is crawling off my bones! This sucks! Oh well, I am determined to go all the way with this, no matter whether I live through it or not. I hope we can encourage each other to victory lane through this. Its sounds like were in the same or like boat.... where are u at in your tapering plan? When is your last day of tapering? Whats your story and plans? Thanks for the reply! David

Old 01-24-2006, 09:03 PM   #9
    makinit
    (male)

makinit HB User

HI KELLY,
    Thanks! And as to the withdrawals, they are just kickin my *** all over the place. Its like someone opened up a can of WHIP*** in my house! The south is so nice this time of year, but I can' t enjoy it. I feel like I have a bionic nose. Lindsey Wagner would be amazed! I can smell what I cooked, yesterday, from outside of my house. Flowers and trees smell like turds. WOW! 12:00am.est. 5 days off ....Can you tell me about how many more I have to go? Or Idea? Thanks for sharing! David

Old 01-24-2006, 10:53 PM   #10
    Constant
    Inactive
    (female)

Constant HB User

Yes, yes, yes, the weird smell is part of the withdrawl. Shortly after the weird smell thing I also experienced the worst taste in my mouth...kind of slimy and everything tasted horrible.

Withdrawl from benzos was by far the worse I had suffered.

Old 01-25-2006, 01:04 PM   #11
    toughtime
    Inactive
    (female)

toughtime HB User

I read this post and got the first laugh I've had today. No offense! Not at you of course! Just because I too have been smelling awful things. My 5 year old daughter has had the worst breath I've ever smelled for the past 2 days. I've brushed her teeth and tounge several times. Oh god I feel like a bad mom! All sorts of things smell weird, come to think of it. I promise I will leave her mouth alone! LOL. I guess coming down off of things messes with everything- senses of smell included! Hang in there. :-)

Old 01-25-2006, 02:28 PM   #12
    Blasterboy
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Blasterboy HB UserBlasterboy HB User

I take Clonazepam as perscribed for a nerve pain problem, usually I take about 2 mg a day; anyhow my brother who makes me somewhat nervous has started to smell like stale urine and I'm womdering whether it's a side effect of the Benzo'. He's usually a very clean person, obsessivly clean and I can't for the life of me think why he would smell this way, it's very distinct. So when I read the post about smells I wondered whether it could be due to my anxiety around him; more likely though he could have some sort of prostate problem, it runs in my family, although he's only 35.....

Old 01-25-2006, 06:50 PM   #13
    makinit
    (male)

makinit HB User

well guys,
    Its really good to read your post about the weird smells of withdrawal from benzos. I am coming up to my 6th day without any benzos. Smells and many symptoms are still strong, but I am standing my ground. I'll be GOD**** if I am going to let a little bitty pill get the best of me. I havent sleep, at all for 6 days and I am going insane, but I will not be taking no pills, no matter what new symptoms occur or whatever life throughs my way. thanks Yall! keep posting....David

Old 01-25-2006, 11:06 PM   #14
    toughtime
    Inactive
    (female)

toughtime HB User

Way to go man! Great fighting attitude! That sleep thing is gonna mess you up though. Have you tried benadryl, Nyquil, or tylenol PM? I would be hitting the over-the-counter stuff pretty hard. you are doing great though! Keep it up!!! :-)

Old 01-27-2006, 04:10 AM   #15
    gina042
    (female)

gina042 HB User

Just want to tell you at 6 days off of benzo - it will all be UP hill from here.
    All of the withdrawal symptoms will start diminishing! By day 10 you will probably have no symptoms, especially since you did the taper plan, it should be done with by day 10!!!!!!!!!

Keep posting!!!!!

Closed Thread