It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• Just a suggestion for those looking for a Tapering Regimen>>

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-31-2006, 03:22 PM   #1
    barbaric_yawp
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

barbaric_yawp HB User
    Just a suggestion for those looking for a Tapering Regimen>>

Many people have asked about a good tapering regimine and the following helped me:

If you can't take time off to detox, I recommend you follow a taper regimen using your drug of choice or suitable alternate --

For the Recipe, You'll need:

1. Valium (or another benzodiazepine such as Klonopin, Librium, Ativan or Xanax). Of these, Valium and Klonopin are best suited for tapering since they come in tablet form. Librium is also an excellent detox benzo, but comes in capsules, making it hard to taper the dose. Ativan or Xanax should only be used if you can't get one of the others. You can also use Tylonol PM or Benadryl if you are afraid of these sleep aids, after all, you are trying to detox, Right?

2. Imodium (over the counter, any drug or grocery store).

3. L-Tyrosine (500 mg caps) from the health food store.

4. Strong wide-spectrum mineral supplement with at least 100% RDA of Zinc, Phosphorus, Copper, Magnesium and Potassium (you may not find the potassium in the same supplement).

5. Vitamin B6 caps.

6. Access to hot baths or a Jacuzzi (or hot showers if that's all that's available).

How to use the recipe:

Start the vitamin/mineral supplement right away (or the first day you can keep it down), preferably with food. Potassium early in the detox is important to help relieve RLS (Restless Leg Syndrome). Bananas are a good source of potassium if you can't find a supplement for it.

Begin your detox with regular doses of Valium (or alternate benzo). Start with a dose high enough to produce sleep. Before you use any benzo, make sure you're aware of how often it can be safely taken. Different benzos have different dosing schedules. Taper your Valium dosage down after each day. The goal is to get through day 4, after which the worst WD symptoms will subside. You shouldn't need the Valium after day 4 or 5.

During detox, hit the hot bath or Jacuzzi as often as you need to for muscle aches. Don't underestimate the effectiveness of hot soaks. Spend the entire time, if necessary, in a hot bath. This simple method will alleviate what is for many the worst opiate WD symptom.

Use the Imodium aggressively to stop the runs. Take as much as you need, as often as you need it. Don't take it, however, if you don't need it.

At the end of the fourth day, you should be waking up from the Valium and experiencing the beginnings of the opiate WD malaise. Upon rising (empty stomach), take the L-Tyrosine. Try 2000 mgs, and scale up or down, depending on how you feel. You can take up to 4,000 mgs. Take the L-Tyrosine with B6 to help absorption. Wait about one hour before eating breakfast. The L-Tyrosine will give you a surge of physical and mental energy that will help counteract the malaise. You may continue to take it each morning for as long as it helps. If you find it gives you the "coffee jitters," consider lowering the dosage or discontinuing it altogether. Occasionally, L-Tyrosine can cause the runs. Unlike the runs from opiate WD, however, this effect of L-Tyrosine is mild and normally does not return after the first hour. Lowering the dosage may help.

Continue to take the vitamin/mineral supplement with breakfast.

As soon as you can force yourself to, get some mild exercise such as walking, cycling, swimming, etc. This will be hard at first, but will make you feel considerably better.

Hope this helps, good luck--you can do it!

B.Y.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-01-2006, 05:29 AM   #2
    amylynn123
    (female)

amylynn123 HB User
    Re: Just a suggestion for those looking for a Tapering Regimen>>

Hi B.Y....
    I think I have spoken to you on the BP board
    Thanks for the advice on the tapering ideas...I am a vicodin addict and I am finding myself having trouble getting through days without seeking/using... It is not anywhere near what it used to be, but I still find the behaviors in myself.
    Do you have any ideas on how to help me get all of this out of my head?
    I just want to live a normal life and I don't want to be addicted to anything anymore....I hate that my life has become this

Old 02-01-2006, 06:01 AM   #3
    barbaric_yawp
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

barbaric_yawp HB User

Hi there,
    Getting this drug 'out of your head' is the hardest part of this addiction. You can detox and physically have wd's, but it is tougher to clean your mind out and forget the cravings altogether. 90% of the reason I relapsed in the past, was not because my body demanded it, but my mind. Often I would be over the wd's but go ahead a take my d.o.c. bc my mind told me to!

Best advice here is to keep yourself busy, busy, busy. Don't let yourself have a minutes rest during the times you crave most. After a while your mind starts to leave you alone and they become more distant.

Hope this helps, let me know if that does not answer your question,

B.Y,

Old 02-01-2006, 06:20 AM   #4
    amylynn123
    (female)

amylynn123 HB User

I have horrible depression/anxiety and I guess I look for ways to make myself happy.
    I was in an inpatient facilty for a few days last year and I don't want to end up back there.
    I need to stay up on my mental health issues and maybe that will help.
    I have a hard time finding happiness and I don't know why...
    Thank you for your information, I really appreciate it..
    One more thing...It has been suggested that I may have bipolar disorder, due to substance abuse/depression/strong family history...
    I don't see any signs in myself (mania wise) such as suicidal thoughts/hallucinations etc...I have taken quizzes online and I haven't had any of them besides depression and substance abuse.
    My therapist says I do not show signs, but my anxiety causes me to be scared about this being a possibility.....
    What do you think?

Old 02-01-2006, 06:36 AM   #5
    barbaric_yawp
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

barbaric_yawp HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by amylynn123
    I have horrible depression/anxiety and I guess I look for ways to make myself happy.
    I was in an inpatient facilty for a few days last year and I don't want to end up back there.
    I need to stay up on my mental health issues and maybe that will help.
    I have a hard time finding happiness and I don't know why...
    Thank you for your information, I really appreciate it..
    One more thing...It has been suggested that I may have bipolar disorder, due to substance abuse/depression/strong family history...
    I don't see any signs in myself (mania wise) such as suicidal thoughts/hallucinations etc...I have taken quizzes online and I haven't had any of them besides depression and substance abuse.
    My therapist says I do not show signs, but my anxiety causes me to be scared about this being a possibility.....
    What do you think?
    I do have BP type II and have been on med treatment for over a year. That, combined with counseling, has helped me become more stable so the urge to self medicate with my d.o.c's has waned. Although I still have problem days like yesterday when I get overwhelming urges to take. In this case, I had to fight myself all day to stay clean.

I am not a BP who hallucinates at all, nor do I have serious suicidal thoughts. My type of condition just brings me high, then low...not everyone has extreme reactions with this disease. You should look at the BP board and find the moderator's post that describes this disease. Maybe that could help clear that up for you.

Are you on any meds now? If you are, and you are still having major depression issues, you should probably look at new meds. Also, keep in mind that when you take opiates that they are a depressant...you might feel good for the moment, but then they turn on you and make you depressed and anxious. In this case your prescribed meds could be trying to work for you but your d.o.c is interfering with your happiness. You need to get rid of your d.o.c first, and then continue with your prescribed med therapy. That is the only way I could get my mind off these dang things!

Last edited by barbaric_yawp; 02-01-2006 at 06:37 AM.

Old 02-01-2006, 06:43 AM   #6
    amylynn123
    (female)

amylynn123 HB User

The only highs that I have are on narcotics....
    Other than that, I just have depression/anxiety....I don't ever get particulary happy for no reason about anything, except with those...and I don't switch from happy to sad. I am just sometimes depressed and anxious...I worry so much.
    I guess I need to stay off of those, b/c I think they make me more depressed and it is hard to detect what is going on with mental issues...
    I think I am going to also post on the BP, as I have been doing about my sister, and list my symptoms and see if they coincide with this disorder.
    I am currently on Lexapro/Xanax

Old 02-01-2006, 06:52 AM   #7
    barbaric_yawp
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

barbaric_yawp HB User

You know, the only highs you experience are not with opiates, they are just the artificial highs that you mistake as happiness/contentment. You can't compare real happiness to the feelings you get from these, there really is no such thing. That is the hard part about overcoming the mental addiction. You have to train your mind (and this is where the work comes in), to perceive your sobriety as a happiness. I did this by making lists of things that I am grateful for, working towards various goals, and forcing my mind to a different way of thinking. You can't do this while on these things. Right now you are on a cycle of depression, so you take the doc, then you are depressed bc of that, then you take the doc...and on and on and on and on. Forever, until you die. I don't think you want that!

I won't lie to you, it is not easy, it takes allot of work to overcome this, but if you make up your mind you can do it, and you do, then you will be so much happier!

Old 02-01-2006, 06:58 AM   #8
    amylynn123
    (female)

amylynn123 HB User

That is so funny that you say that.
    When I woke up this morning I wanted to make a list of all of the things that make me happy, so I don't focus on negativity..
    Thanks for all of your information, you are a big help...
    There are no good things that can come out of using these drugs and they will never make me a happy person...You are right, it is all "artificial"

Old 02-01-2006, 08:08 AM   #9
    mickey56
    (male)

mickey56 HB User

Great stuff "Barbaric"...so true about that artificial High that we all think is an answer,is only a bad deal.Trying to be smart.Thanks.

Closed Thread