It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• Been On Norco For 2 Years-need Off

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-08-2006, 03:05 PM   #1
    shelley2977
    (female)

shelley2977 HB User
    Red face Been On Norco For 2 Years-need Off

hi All, I Had Breast Cancer In 2003 And After Breast Removal Surgery Was Given Norco For Pain. I Had A Botched Reconstruction And Stayed On Norco, Then Chemo Which Caused Pain And Stayed On Norco, Then Arimidex (which I Take For 5 Years) And Causes Severe Joint Pain And Stayed On Norco. I Sleep Till Noon And Was Blaming The Chemo Which Ened 2 Years Ago This Week! I Have Been ********ting Myself Int0 Thinking I Need This Drug. I Roll Over In The Morning And Grab For 2 Pills Cause I Have So Much Pain But I Am Not Sure If It Is Withdrawal Pain Or Real Pain. Monday I Hit Rock Bottom As I Was Shopping At 2 In The Afternoon As I Make All My Appointments For Later In The Afternoon. I Want To Thank You All For Letting Me Tell You The Truth About Me. I Was Taking 6-8 Pills A Day. Tuesday I Took 3 Pills Total And Took Jam233 Advice About Withdrawal Symtems. I Still Have Bad Withdrawal Eventhough I Am Taking The Pills. Today I Have Had Only One Pill (3pm)and I Feel That I Can Do It. My Family Is Concerned And Thinks I Should Be Medically Supervised. But You Guys Know Exactly How I Feel. I Have Ativan And Benedryl. I Think I Stayed On Them For So Long So I Would Not Have To Really Think About Cancer Coming Back Since I Am Stage 3. If There Is Anyone Who Got Off Norco And Has Time To Write With Any Other Ideas I Would Appreciate. I Am So Sorry I Went On And On. Anyone With Ideas On Helping The Withdrawal Easier Please Write Me. God Bless You All, Shelley

Last edited by shelley2977; 02-08-2006 at 03:10 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-08-2006, 03:29 PM   #2
    vmom
    (female)

vmom HB User
    Re: Been On Norco For 2 Years-need Off

Shelley,

I have no advice (still contemplating posting about my own addiction) but wante dto say I'm sorry for all you've been through.

I'll keep you in my thoughts and keep an eye on this thread. Cancer is a tough pill to swallow.
    Elizabeth

Old 02-08-2006, 03:42 PM   #3
    shelley2977
    (female)

shelley2977 HB User

Elizabeth, Thank You For Responding To Me. Yes, Breast Cancer Is A Nightmare. I Hope You Can Somehow Find The Strength To Share Your Story On These Pages. I Feel So Much Better Knowing I Am Not Alone. God Bless And I Hope To Hear Form You Again. Shelley

Old 02-08-2006, 03:58 PM   #4
    LisaC2
    Inactive
    (female)

LisaC2 HB User

Hi Shelley,

I too got addicted to norco. I am on suboxone now. (if you don't know what that is just ask me). I have been clean since Nov 24. I went out of state for treatment, as I did not want my physician to know I was addicted. I got my meds off the internet) So I know how you feel about wanting to keep things confidential. It is a hard habit to break, but I have read countless stories of successsful tapers. Try and get plenty of rest, and I would ask around about a good energy supplement for the PAWS. I wish you luck. Keep posting and let us know how you are doing. LisaC2

Old 02-08-2006, 08:10 PM   #5
    toughtime
    Inactive
    (female)

toughtime HB User

Hi Shelley,

How are you? I too was addicted to Norco, for maybe 3 years.... My addiction and tolerance had progressed to where I took about 20 a day. Some days 15, some 30. But I was going through scripts for 120 pills in about 5 days and my habit was out of control. I quit cold turkey on Jan. 22. I knew I had to. I had gotten yet another script about 3 days before I quit and the bottle was almost empty, and I was thinking about how I would score again and it hit me- whoa- this is out of control. I'm a single mom and got laid off in October, so the fact that I even managed to afford my pills when the rest of my life was going down the drain is super pathetic.

Anyway, that's my story. I always heard not to go cold turkey b/c of seizures, but my brother had gone cold turkey years ago. He was on oxycontin, vikes, everything and his kidneys actually shut down. He was in his thirties. He had to quit immediately just to urinate again. Scary. So he has told me that he quit w/out anything and didn't have sympathy really for my plight.

I told my mom about my problem and quit. The first 3 days were ROUGH! Withdrawals.... well, I recommend Immodium highly! I also followed the thomas recipe for detox, which says to spend a lot of time in hot baths and or a hot tub (I have a hot tub, just got the electric bill for my week of with withdrawals- YIKES, but it was worth it!). That recipe also recommends taking L-tyrosine w/B6 in the morning an hour before you eat, and a good multi vitamin later. I added liquid b12 vitamins, st. john's wort and an amino acid pill. (I'm still popping pills, they are just vitamins now- LOL!)

Anyway, I've had 15 days clean. I slipped on 3 different days. My 4th or 6th day couldn't take it, I even flushed a bottle of pills I had hidden and that sent me into a spiraling depression. But it's been a solid week since I've had any pills. I'm so glad!

If you don't have people you can turn to, just say you have the flu. It's flu season and withdrawal mimics the flu. You can do it!!!! If I can quit, anyone can quit. Now I feel foolish for not quitting sooner. It physically hurts to think about all the cash I've wasted on those stupid pills, and the mental pain is guilt to my daughter. But I'm straight now, so not mentally beating myself up nearly as much as I used to! The energy comes back even. I thought I wouldn't be able to cook or clean without norcos, but I am a better cleaner now! I still suck as a cook, but hey, that's a whole other support board I guess. :-)

Let me know how you do. You've taken the best first step, admitting you have a problem and posting on this board. There are some of the nicest people on this board I have ever met! Or not met. But they are truly kind and awesome and will support you in this. It's worth it to get through the withdrawals and get clean again. :-)

Debbie

Old 02-09-2006, 05:09 AM   #6
    LisaC2
    Inactive
    (female)

LisaC2 HB User

Debbie thank you for chiming in with your story. I admire you so much. I just did not have the wilpower to cold turkey...I would like to ask if you have gound any good energy supplements? I am talking of the natural variety of course (don't want anyone to misunderstand). My time will come and fatigue has always been an issue for me. Thanks, LisaC2

Shelley, How are you? LisaC2

Old 02-09-2006, 05:37 AM   #7
    Hollyday
    (female)

Hollyday HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by LisaC2
    Debbie thank you for chiming in with your story. I admire you so much. I just did not have the wilpower to cold turkey...I would like to ask if you have gound any good energy supplements? I am talking of the natural variety of course (don't want anyone to misunderstand). My time will come and fatigue has always been an issue for me. Thanks, LisaC2
    Fatigue is a huge issue for me as well and probably 90% of the reason I was addicted to hydro. I haven't really found a "natural" supplement that can give me the boost of energy hydro could, but then again, it's unlikely that I would seeing as how that boost was from an addictive substance!

To combat fatigue I've been drinking a LOT of caffeine and taking Sudafed. NOT the best choices, I know, but I'm weaning off as we speak cause I've heard Sudafed can be bad for your heart. Wish I had better advice for you!

Shelley, I'm so happy for you! You were being legitimately prescribed pills for your pain and you realized you were taking them for the wrong reasons. That is SO hard. Mine were legit too (until I needed more and ultimately started getting them in undesirable ways).

I'm really glad you caught this at the 2-year mark. You have probably saved yourself a lot of damage. I progressed and progressed till I was taking 20 a day and my addiction lasted a long time - 5 years. You might want to look up my post under "36,000 pills". It's mind boggling to me. I went CT almost 8 months ago and I'm so happy. My life is finally getting back to normal.

We are rooting for you!

Old 02-09-2006, 08:32 AM   #8
    shelley2977
    (female)

shelley2977 HB User
    Talking Re: Been On Norco For 2 Years-need Off

debbie, thank you so much for your response. i will get the multi vit if i can drag myself out of bed. i had 3 pills yesterday instead of 6 or 7 and today i have had 1. the first night Monday i took nyquil ,benedryl,ambein,,motrin just to get me to sleep. last night i really could not sleep so i added ativan and all the others. i feel so bloated that i can't pull my pants up over my stomach.
    i stayed up alllll night lasdt night with aches in my lower back and feet. took hot bath and used heating pad. i feel bad cause i am not even off the stuff and i am having severe withdrawal. how long should i stay on 2 or 3 a day? maybe today i could just take 2. thanks for any info and i appreciate you sharing your story. regards, shelley

Old 02-09-2006, 08:43 AM   #9
    shelley2977
    (female)

shelley2977 HB User

hollyday, i did not see your post, i am new at this and i am getting confused. yes, i am so happy when i see all the people who were taking hundreds of pills and i realized that one day that could be me. i need to stop now. my life is so disfunctional.sleeping all day and getting up at 3:30 before my husband comes home from work. i have been blaming the fatigue and pain on the the chemo that i had for my breast cancer all along. the chemo ended 2 years ago. time to move on, i m very excited and hope God can help me pull this one off. regards, shelley

Old 02-09-2006, 08:45 AM   #10
    shelley2977
    (female)

shelley2977 HB User

lisa, i am not sure what PAWS is? Can oyu also tell me about themedication you are on? thanks, shelley

Old 02-09-2006, 08:46 AM   #11
    toughtime
    Inactive
    (female)

toughtime HB User

Hey Shelley,

I've heard that tapering slowly is a key to not having such bad withdrawals. Like maybe take 2 1/2 today, and take them in halves instead of wholes to stabalize. Then in a few days, go to 2, etc. There are some good tapering recipes on this board. Personally, everytime I tried to taper I would start to get a buzz and think, to heck with it! and take my whole weekly allotted amount at once. NO Willpower! I'm kind of an all or nothing girl.

Lisa, energy supplements.... well not like the hydro also, must admit. Those things made me fly! But that nasty addiction side effect=not good.

I drink one or 2 red bulls a day, not sure if they help. I drink the sugar free ones, maybe that's why they aren't as effective. I've been taking a hoodia diet pill and it helps. Also, liquid B12 (from health food stores) gets in your system asap and seems good. And lots of coffee, diet mountain dew and diet coke. (I sound like the picture of health, LOL!) OK, I drink water too. But yea, I sometimes miss the energy blast, but remember when I was chasing my buzz and would get super aggravated and bitc8y once I passed the line from "energetic" to just angry.

Any non-narcotic energy ideas would also be appreciated.

Shelly, you are doing great girl!!!! :-)

Debbie

Old 02-09-2006, 08:55 AM   #12
    shelley2977
    (female)

shelley2977 HB User

debbie, i will take your advice and take only 2 pills today. if i get really bad i will take 2 1/2. the good thing is my perscription is running out so i only have about 9 left. i willno attempt to go out and get vitimins and food for dinner. thank God i don't work , i'd be a real mess.
    PS part of ME thinks i need the high from the norco. i won't have that instant happy feeling i used to get from it. i was also running from the cancer,never had to think about it.

Old 02-09-2006, 09:01 AM   #13
    toughtime
    Inactive
    (female)

toughtime HB User

Hi Shelley,

I understand. I mean, I haven't had cancer, but I know that my addiction got out of hand during my divorce. It was a "war of the roses" type thing and the worse it got, the more "numb" I got. I think we're all running from something when we get into addictions. The ironic thing is that since I've quit, I've been dealing with painful feelings about the divorce and things that I thought I had worked out. NOT! But the energy will come back! I actually organized all of our CDs, DVDs and videos STRAIGHT! about a week after I quit and I have found that my cleaning while I was on pills wasn't the greatest. I've really cleaned up parts of my house since I've been straight, and have been told that my place never looked better. And I thought I needed the pills for energy! It's all just a mind ****** actually, if u think about it.

The L-tyrosine is (usually) only avail. at health food stores. I think it helped me! :-)

Deb

Old 02-09-2006, 09:28 AM   #14
    MicheleT
    (female)

MicheleT HB User

Shelley,
    My heart goes out to you with BC but I'm so happy you've gotten through that. I see alot of people posting about energy supplements and other chemically induced ways to get energy, I would like to say something about that but I will add my disclaimer: This is only MY opinion and what works for me and I am just sharing my experience.
    I too was an opiate addict for a long long time. I took vicodine and norco, whichever was available. Last July I just couldn't live this way anymore and I quit cold turkey. Maybe that isn't the wisest way to go but I am an addict and there is no such thing as weening in my vocabulary. Anyway, like you and lots of others, I had NO energy. It was an effort to get out of bed the first month. I entertained the thought of something to 'pick me up' but I realized two things: 1-If I had taken anything to 'feel good' I would simply be substituting one drug for another and nothing was going to work as good as opiates and soon enough I would probably be taking them again. 2-alot of us have been using drugs for so long that we've forgotten how are natural state feels. Keep in mind, during detox and even the first few months in recovery your body is still adjusting to fuctioning without mood altering or enhancing chemicals. Give yourself a break, this is a rough time but it's also the beginning of a new way of life and I promise you won't feel the way you do forever. I'm going on 7 months and although I don't have the energy I had while on pills, I do have energy back. I just forget that I'm 45 and I'm not going to get my 20 yr old stamina back....ever
    Keep us posted on how you are doing and remember as you are going through this it's one day at a time, sometimes one minute at a time but it will pass. And for the record, my laundry is over flowing, it's not that I have no energy, I just hate doing laundry
    You're in my prayers,
    Michele

Old 02-09-2006, 10:59 AM   #15
    shelley2977
    (female)

shelley2977 HB User

Ladies, I just got back from a trip to grocery store where i got all the supplies i will need for the next few days. i have a horrible sore throat and my body has given out on me.thank God my husband is so helpfull and on my side. he is patient, i am the one who feels bad laying around the house all day. i feel like i need to get up and clean the house before i can take time for myself. this all stems from childhood and i am working on it all with my shrink.
    i do want to mention something very important to all of you. my cancer went undiagnosed until i was stage 3. they did not fine the tumor in a mamogram or ultra sound. if you have breast cancer history on your mothers side, mothers sister,mothers mother or aunts you must ask for an mri. i did the self exams monthly but never really pushed down hard on my nipple. i had exams and doctors did not notice it. finally i had a FEMALE gyno feel it and even after an ultrasound they said it was nothing. it ended up being the size of a lemon! also, when you get mamograms they should really hurt, they have to squeeze your breast really hard. i don't mean to bring you guys down but i went through a nightmare and i would hate for anyone else to experience this.
    ok, oh my God, i went on and on. thank you all for being there. xoxxo shelley

Closed Thread