It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• Can alcohol/alcoholism cause diarrhea and a low globulin count?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-16-2006, 06:39 AM   #1
    LonelyTraveler

LonelyTraveler HB User
    Red face Can alcohol/alcoholism cause diarrhea and a low globulin count?

Hi

I have been an alcoholic for many years. I was dry for awhile but then relapsed and have been drinking between 6-8 beers a day for the past 5-6 months. Recently, I became concerned about my liver and asked my doctor to order liver function tests (which she did). Well, she called me last night and told me that everything came back normal but that my globulin was slightly low (2.1 - the "norm" is about 2.2 or something). I also get diarrhea every day and the more I drink, the worse the diarrhea is. I'm just wondering if alcohol can cause diarrhea because I also read that diarrhea is one of the things that can cause globulin levels to be low. Does anyone else here have a low globulin count as a result of drinking and would drinking like I do cause me to have diarrhea almost every day?.

Thank's again for any input on this!.

- Regards, LT

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-16-2006, 02:21 PM   #2
    jam338
    Veteran
    (female)

jam338 HB Userjam338 HB Userjam338 HB Userjam338 HB Userjam338 HB Userjam338 HB User
    Re: Can alcohol/alcoholism cause diarrhea and a low globulin count?

LT, First, I would presume that your globulin range is nothing to worry about since your treating physician was not alarmed by the test results and knows of your history.

As to the diarreha concern, online research suggests that it could be associated with resuming the daily alcohol intake. Alcohol has toxic effects on the cells of the gastro-intestinal system. It can cause inflammation of the stomach and generalized irritability of the bowel causing gastritis discomfort as well as diarrhea. So, that may be the root of the problem.

Old 02-16-2006, 03:11 PM   #3
    Constant
    Inactive
    (female)

Constant HB User

When I was drinking I had real bad diarrhea and it came with very bad stomach cramps. Yes, your drinking can mess with your globulin count. Lower levels are seen in people with poor dietary habits, malabsorption and liver or kidney disease.

Old 02-16-2006, 04:06 PM   #4
    slipperyslope
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

slipperyslope HB User

you might want to check the " Bowel Disorder " forum on the healthboard Menu. I know that having Diahrea every day is not normal and you should really see a gastroenterologist Dr and have a work up. Maybe a colonoscopy and some other test might be in order for you. you need to get to the bottom of that problem for sure as its not healthy and normal to be blowing out like that. I feel for you as I know its no picnic to ahve the runs so often, it also makes you weak and sick feeling and de hydrates you badly.

Good luck and that is great you have given up drinking, are you attending AA meeting, keep it up!

Closed Thread