It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• What is this "sick" feeling??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-24-2006, 06:33 AM   #1
    LonelyTraveler

LonelyTraveler HB User
    Red face What is this "sick" feeling??

Hi

I have intended to ask this question for some time.

When I relapsed this time around (after a year and a half of being dry) that first 6-pack felt great!. I got a nice buzz, felt good, happy, motivated, etc. The next day after drinking, I felt pretty much the same way...and the next...and the next...and so on.

However, I have begun to notice that when I drink too many days in a row, I end up feeling sicker and sicker. It's almost like my body is slowly being poisoned (which it actually is!) and I feel generally unhealthy, unthrifty, unmotivated, weak, fatigued and basically like a frail old man.

I have always wondered many times if this feeling was caused by the accumulative affects of the alcohol and it does'nt seem to matter wether I drink 2 beers a day or a case of beer a day...the more days in a row I drink, the worse I feel. I would'nt even describe it as a hangover...just a general unhealthy kind of feeling.

Is this pretty much par for the course with alcohol?. I'm in my 40's and when I was younger I used to party and drink my guts out and don't remember feeling like this but of course I was younger and I was'nt an alcoholic at the time (nor did I drink EVERY day).

- Thank's for any input on this, LT

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-26-2006, 05:22 PM   #2
    Atsira
    (female)

Atsira HB User
    Re: What is this "sick" feeling??

I've struggled with alcohol addiction for about ten years, In the last year I have quit although I ocassionaly have a few drinks and I totaly understand what your taking about every time I drink the next day i feel like I was posioned maybe it's Gods way of saying not to drink or maybe are bodies have just took enough abuse.

Old 02-26-2006, 11:11 PM   #3
    Constant
    Inactive
    (female)

Constant HB User

It sounds like your liver is being affected.

Old 02-28-2006, 05:50 AM   #4
    mpvt
    Inactive
    (male)

mpvt HB User

Most definately the liver.You need to abstain from alchohol or I'm afraid you won't have much of a future.Good luck to you....Dave

Old 03-02-2006, 07:02 AM   #5
    Atsira
    (female)

Atsira HB User

What reasoning do you believe it's the liver? don't you feel there would be more symptoms then just when you drink, I don't want to be rude but thats a pretty bold statement to make and not give no reasoning. I'd like a little more information on why you believe this.

Old 03-02-2006, 09:22 AM   #6
    TrampyG
    (male)

TrampyG HB User

Nausea and an overall sick feeling are symptoms of liver problems. I have no clue whether that is what is happening but with most alcohol-related problems, liver goes first. I am sure your stomach is not in great shape, either so it could be both. Obviously it sounds like you need some help and to "dry out" again. Have you tried going to meetings or a detox/rehab center? Were you able to quit on your own before? If so, perhaps you can do it again.

Old 03-02-2006, 09:27 AM   #7
    Blasterboy
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Blasterboy HB UserBlasterboy HB User

Atsira, a bold statement would be "Alcohol is good for the Liver." Cronic Alcoholics f..k their liver up, it's no secret. The daily drinking is too much for the liver to handle and it starts to die, simple as that. Nausia is a very common symptom of a strugglying liver. So altough other illnesses our possible the 1st this that comes to mind is what was said; hence not a bold statement ;-)

Old 03-02-2006, 11:12 AM   #8
    Atsira
    (female)

Atsira HB User

I know alcohol screws up your liver, but it is a bold statement to make because it could possible be alot of things to jump to that big of a conclusion is alittle alarming, unless you have a medical degree. There was nothing mentioned about nausia or stomach problems, it was a overall feeling of not feeling good after you drank. My question was why would that only happen when I drink? I would just think if you had liver problems there would be alot more wrong with you and many more symptoms. I guess it's time to call and make an appt. for a physical.

Old 03-02-2006, 11:34 AM   #9
    Blasterboy
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Blasterboy HB UserBlasterboy HB User

Sorry Atsira I was a little winy bit sarcatic :-)

Old 03-02-2006, 01:04 PM   #10
    Constant
    Inactive
    (female)

Constant HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Atsira
    What reasoning do you believe it's the liver? don't you feel there would be more symptoms then just when you drink, I don't want to be rude but thats a pretty bold statement to make and not give no reasoning. I'd like a little more information on why you believe this.
    Excellent reasoning based on my experience with people that suffer from liver disease as a result of drinking and drug use...which would be many, many, people over my near twelve years sobriety.

Nausea and stomach problems are an exception and not a rule for liver disease. The abuse and general feeling of malaise is a very good indication that the liver is being strongly affected.

Not liking what has been said doesn't make it less a possibility and quite frankly, imo, a probability.

Old 03-02-2006, 06:51 PM   #11
    ethos987
    (male)

ethos987 HB User

Last edited by ethos987; 03-22-2006 at 02:53 PM.

Old 03-02-2006, 07:03 PM   #12
    Atsira
    (female)

Atsira HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Constant
    Excellent reasoning based on my experience with people that suffer from liver disease as a result of drinking and drug use...which would be many, many, people over my near twelve years sobriety.

Nausea and stomach problems are an exception and not a rule for liver disease. The abuse and general feeling of malaise is a very good indication that the liver is being strongly affected.

Not liking what has been said doesn't make it less a possibility and quite frankly, imo, a probability.
    Not liking what was said is not true, it was the why It was presented, there was no explanation just "it's your liver". Sure it scared me and made me realize the abuse I have put my body thru that is why I have made a doctors appt. when I read the post I just was a little confused, I wanted to know more it seems like people miss took what I was trying to say. I look to this site for advice and information from people like you who have twelve years of sobriety.

Old 03-02-2006, 07:57 PM   #13
    Constant
    Inactive
    (female)

Constant HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Atsira
    Not liking what was said is not true, it was the why It was presented, there was no explanation just "it's your liver". Sure it scared me and made me realize the abuse I have put my body thru that is why I have made a doctors appt. when I read the post I just was a little confused, I wanted to know more it seems like people miss took what I was trying to say. I look to this site for advice and information from people like you who have twelve years of sobriety.
    Anytime someone has abused their bodies the way that we have, it is iimportant to have a good physical.

What stood out mostly for me was the poster's comment which included "drinking many days in a row...sicker and sicker" is clearly a red flag that the liver is being compromised.

I have my liver enzymes and kindey funtion evaluated every year because of the abuse my body took. When I originally got clean and sober, my liver enzymes were quite elevated, kidney function normal. To date my liver function has returned to normal and stayed that way.

Good luck.

BTW, I just noticed you are still drinking "occasionally". It would be prudent to have your liver enzymes tested directly after a drinking episode as well as after having abstained for some time. You may be shocked at the spike in the enzyme levels.

Last edited by Constant; 03-02-2006 at 08:01 PM.

Closed Thread