It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• Hydro Hell.....

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-28-2006, 11:30 AM   #1
    jam338
    Veteran
    (female)

jam338 HB Userjam338 HB Userjam338 HB Userjam338 HB Userjam338 HB Userjam338 HB User
    Hydro Hell.....

Hydro Hell

It seems to me there are primarily 3 categories of folks on this Board:

1. Some…are trying to chase out physical chronic pain, develop tolerance, quit or escalate into further into addiction/abuse cycle……either way they get trapped in Hydro Hell.

2. Some….are trying to chase out emotional pain, develop tolerance, and ……chase the emotional escape hatch …..only to be trapped in Hydro Hell.

3. Some….are trying to chase the elusive high, develop tolerance, and continue chase the high …..only to be trapped in Hydro Hell.

While we have our own unique chemistries and our life and/or medical histories/stories regarding how we got here.....we all have one thing we all have in commonthe maddening cycle of Hydro Hell.

What detox process or plan will work for each individual has so many different variables and risks that each person must assess and decide for themselves. Do not allow others to decide for you. You wouldn't go up to a total stranger in Walmart and ask them to take out your appendix, nor should rely on a total stranger here as a single adviser on what is right for you.

A taper will be the right choice for some. With tapering some may need to have someone else in charge of the pills during the taper; others will not. Others may need to be on an alternative drug support taper system.

CT is the only thing that will work for others.

Some need AA/NA support group; others do not.

Some need discrete home detox plan because of employment risks or lack of personal support system.

Some need professional rehabilitation support.

There is no right or wrong way. Whatever YOU need to accomplish successful detox is the right way FOR YOU.

Folks who have tried and failed and ultimately succeeded with a certain process can understandably be passionately intent about the process that worked for them, even to extent of perhaps telling others that is the only way--- but, that does not mean that is the right way for you.

Only you know what is right for you. Do your homework, read, read, read......know your options, know your risks, know your coping options....consult with a medical professional as necessary, especially if you have co-occurring medical history concerns....then develop YOUR own personal detox plan for YOUR needs; not someone else’s. There is a SAMPLE HOME DETOX in the Moderator's Sticky Post Section for your review to help you plan your detox.

Last edited by jam338; 03-01-2006 at 11:35 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-28-2006, 12:15 PM   #2
    oandesmama
    (female)

oandesmama HB User
    Re: Hydro Hell.....

Thanks so much. You are so right. I agree that there is not one right answer for everyone. It takes all we have to do this and if it works, more power to us, right? Good luck everyone. We CAN do this!

Old 02-28-2006, 12:22 PM   #3
    jam338
    Veteran
    (female)

jam338 HB Userjam338 HB Userjam338 HB Userjam338 HB Userjam338 HB Userjam338 HB User

Oandes, yes we can!!! And, we all need to support each other, no matter what someone else's "right choice for them" may be. We are all basically a bunch of damn lab rats trying to find our own way through this mess and support each other. I know the medical community has to have a better handle on this or could have a better handle on this if they wanted to....the science and technology is there....the interest and funding is not.....getting off this ****** is not something that is in the pharmecutical world's best financial interest so NO meaningful money will likely ever be dedicated to this cause.....not until the costs of health consequences reach an interest level of health insurance providers....until then we are on our own!!!

Old 02-28-2006, 01:17 PM   #4
    shelley2977
    (female)

shelley2977 HB User

jam338, you are so right. i have been busy judging myself and comparing my situation to others. the truth is we are all different. what might work for me might not work for anyone else. thank you for your postings, i think i speak for many people when i say that they are most beneficial. shelley

Old 02-28-2006, 01:45 PM   #5
    jam338
    Veteran
    (female)

hi Shelley!! I have been wondering how you are doing! You are quite welcome honey, glad anything that I have posted has helped you. I posted this one because in reading so many other posts that folks trying to detox seem to maybe be questioning and comparing their situation to others....very normal to do that...we all do....we are all curious lil critters by nature.....but, didn't want some to feel bad because they feel a taper is what is right for them and others for whom a taper has not worked can be quick to passionately and meaningfully say it is a failed method....well it was for them, but may not be for another. Definitely seems ok to say what did and did not work for oneself and all the details to help others learn....LOTS of value in that for sure.....just doesn't seem right to me to go to the extent of saying what is not right for a person other than yourself, no matter how well intended it may be. Hard not to I know. We try to save others from what we feel were the mistakes we made and help them avoid the failure avalanche...Lord knows we have all had at least one of those hit us. Detox is a very scarey thing, and folks have to be allowed to structure their own detox plan with what they feel is right for them. Otherwsie, their fears will just be the cause of them aborting detox and failing.

Whatever your plan is, it MUST be YOUR plan in order for to succeed, because you just can't achieve something that you don't understand or believe in yourself.

Either way they get 5 stars for developing a plan and trying !!!! Just never give up!!!!

Last edited by jam338; 02-28-2006 at 01:54 PM.

Old 03-01-2006, 09:58 AM   #6
    jam338
    Veteran
    (female)

I originally posted the following on another thread in response to someone. Seems that it should be on this thread as well as part of the Hydro Hell Cycle, so adding it here for the benefit of those reading in hopes it may help others recognize patterns before they worsen.

The following phases are based only on my own personal experience, and perhaps my perspective is a lil different than many on here because it seems my actual experience maybe was a lil different. It seems that many here may have progressively chased the euphoric feeling which lead to addiction. I did not. My experience is more from the prospective of the hell one still goes through even you chose the other fork in the road...staying within your rx. Experiences like mine, I think really demonstrates both roads lead to Hydro Hell. Let me explain what I mean, and of course this is only my own perspective based on what happened to me, but here goes.

There is a very dangerous murky zone where for a period of time in the cycle that dependency and addiction is crossthreaded. Folks either catch the alert signs and jump off the merrygoround w/taper or CT; or, they escalate from dependency into addiction.... and then end up in taper or CT eventually anyway. So, either way both roads lead to same end. Assuming that, then there is a case to be made for more effective dependency management before it escalates into addiction.

This is what I experienced with "the cycle", and again there will undoubtedly be variances among individuals based on their own history, length of use and level of use, etc. I was prescribed hydro for pain management for back pain and fibromyalgia. The following is my experience with "the cycle":

Phase 1, Euphoria Phase:
    In addition to the pain management properties of hydro, we all know in the beginning there is a "euphoria window"…everything is great…lots of energy, the world is wonderful, sex is great, can life just get no better??? During this phase, I would “miss” the pills but didn’t get sick without them. I thought....pffffft, what is all this ****** about being bad for ya…not for me, man I feel great…(sound familiar?…read on).

Phase 2, Blunted Phase aka Dark Hydro Haze Depression:
    Window #1 began progressively closed as my tolerance grew. Euphoric feeling as well as the pain management effectiveness slowly fades away and is replaced by emotional blunting and detachment from people and things. During this phase I was headed for trouble but not a clue. Begin experiencing mini WDs between doses. I was functional but miserable. I was able to work and do things….but enjoyed nothing… I began to mechanically go through life…just wanted to go to bed and pull the covers over my head and frequently did so when no one was around to see me….would stay home from work and just go to bed….a very dark Hydro Haze depression set in.

Phase 3, Mini Hydro Hell:
    The crazy sounding phase that most might find incredulous unless you have experienced it. The Drug Demon gets ugly and plays dirty pool. At this phase, my body was in full dependency. Every morning I would wake up feeling sick with feelings equivalent to Day 1 of WD cycle---the very first waking thought before I ever lifted my head off the pillow was needing to take my pill. I had now reached the phase where my current rx level was only giving me short term WD relief ....no pain management/no euphoria. Worst yet, I now had a pain level that far exceeded the pain level for which I was prescribed the stuff to start with!!! My body sensories were hijacked…boomeranging on me….giving me sharper pain signals DEMANDING for the pain to be treated. When I didn’t comply by giving additional drugs, the response was MORE PAIN and misery….anything to MAKE me give it what it needed. My brain started thinking .....seeeeeeeee, you HAVE pain...go ahead...you know that you REALLY NEED it...go ahead. While I did "rob Peter to pay Paul", going from 4 daily to 5-6 on some days. But, that shorted me on my rx which lead to constantly counting pills, splitting pills to make it stretch till my refill date; a forced taper of sorts. Thank God I never escalated to buying "additional sources" outside of my RX. God knows how I avoided that....I sure thought about it......a lot. But I didn't do it. Found myself looking up info online on how to get other sources. Lord knows what snapped me into my senses, but thank God something did and gave me the strength to home detox.

Phase 4: Hydro Hell Detox WDs
    For the benefit of others reading...much is posted on this phase throughout many threads. This phase is about 5-7 days with Days 2-3 usually the worst for most. Some folks are able to manage work and handling responsibilities; some are not. Best advise is plan a week off or plan detox where the 2 day worst days are on your days off, but be aware you may call in sick a day or two beyond that. There is a post-detox mini WD period, but you will be able to resume work, functioning ,and meeting your responsibilities. During post-detox WDs, you will feel much better, but probably not great. It took time to get you here and it will take time to build back your system.

Last edited by jam338; 03-01-2006 at 11:51 AM.

Closed Thread