It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• Ultram addiction

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-25-2006, 03:13 AM   #46
    rosie d
    (female)

rosie d HB User
    Re: Ultram addiction

Hello becky! I myself have had to withdraw from Ultram twice in the past 2 years. Personally, I began withdrawing pretty quickly, within about 24-36 hours from last dose. Same symptoms your daughter describes. I have never heard of the withdrawal process taking that long to occur, but, I absolutely think everyone has their own experience and anything is possible when it comes to prescription drugs. Every body chemistry is different, everyone may not react to taking or coming off of it the same. My withdrawal the first time was around 2 weeks and that was from going cold turkey. The last time my MD decreased my dose by one pill every 3 days and it was much easier. I still had a bit of anxiety and insomnia but it was nothing compared to cold turkey. I was given the drug for the same reason...because they said it wasn't addictive. I think that for some people, maybe even the majority, it may not be. But there is a growing number of people that are coming forward with stories about being addicted to Ultram/Tramadol. . One thing that helped me was doing things that I really enjoyed when I had free time. I spent much time doing hobbies, being with friends and family. Being out in the sun taking a walk or playing with your dog. It helped to not put pressure on myself and to not let myself feel guilty for taking all the time I needed to heal and take care of myself. Eating well and staying hydrated are also very important. I wish your daughter and your family nothing but the best. Please post again in the future and tell how it is going. Take care ..............................

Last edited by rosie d; 04-25-2006 at 03:16 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-25-2006, 01:25 PM   #47
    NightSwan76
    (female)

NightSwan76 HB User

I was on Ultram last summer when my Orthopedic doctor couldn call it in to my Hawaii pharmacy(I was visiting sis last summer, living there now)from Connecticut because it is not a controlled substance. I didn't realize how addicting they can be and the withdrawels were pretty intense for me, but only for about 24 hours. I think this drug needs to be a little more difficult to get, I was able to get them on the internet with no problem. I was uneducated about them back then and thought they were harmless but with any medication, especially in the hands of an addict, there are many many problems! I haven't taken Ultram since last year and didn't really struggle too much with cravings. It was more a physical withdrawel. My Orthopedic doctor stopped prescibing it to me and switched me to Vicodin. I am clean right now and the days of not being able to function without my pills seems so far away. I have no more back pain...and I have 2 herniated discs. The pain pills caused me more pain than they did me any good.
    Missy

Old 06-02-2006, 09:55 AM   #48
    treace
    (female)

treace HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blasterboy
    I think there's a link between people who are prone to depression and who are most likely to suffer the worst withdrawals coming off this drug, especially because of its serotonin uptake action. It seems to be these peoples bobys that suffer the most coming off the drug; but this is just my opinion, I wonder how many of the worst suffers will back this up???

I will back you up on that. When I first started taking Ultram it was a miracle drug for me. It lifted me straight out of my depression which I had suffered from for about 15 years. I am still on it, because everytime I try to get off of the crap I can't handle the depression that I sink in to. I was put on them for the same reason most everyone else was, because it is not supposed to be addicting. The part that is the worst about not taking it is the lack of energy and the feeling of being lethargic. I just don't want to go back to where I was before I started taking it. My psychiatrist just cannot manage to prescribe me anything for my chemical imbalance. I have tried just about everything for depression. If anyone has any new ideas I would be so grateful to hear them. I don't want to be on this stuff for the rest of my life.
    Treace

Old 06-02-2006, 12:34 PM   #49
    solars
    Inactive

solars HB User

i have a history of depression and i am back that statement up

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blasterboy
    I think there's a link between people who are prone to depression and who are most likely to suffer the worst withdrawals coming off this drug, especially because of its serotonin uptake action. It seems to be these peoples bobys that suffer the most coming off the drug; but this is just my opinion, I wonder how many of the worst suffers will back this up???

Old 06-03-2006, 05:04 AM   #50
    rosie d
    (female)

rosie d HB User

In my opinion as a professional in the mental health field, I have read a lot about individuals who are already prone to chemical imbalnces being very vulnerable to the side effects of serotonin reuptake inhibiting drugs, wether this is the drugs primary purpose, as with many anti-depressants, or with Ultram/Tramadol which is a pain med but has the same action. Those with a history of depression should NEVER take Ultram. You will more than likely be very susceptible to the drugs ability to change serotonin levels in your brain, on top of the euphoric feeling one may get with a narcotic. Those are two double whammys and when you try and get off, it could be extremely difficult. However, there is life after Ultram. It may take some folks a bit longer to come off due to the serotonin issue, but if you weather the storm, you will be back to normal, energy and all, and you will be a stronger person for it. Treace, in my opinion, I would make an appointment with a different psychiatrist and see what they have to say. There are plenty of SSRI drugs out there and many foods and/or medicines to help you through the tough couple of weeks of getting off the stuff. Don't get me wrong, there is no easy answer, as for most things in life, for getting off drugs. It's tough and there is suffering, but there is light at the end of that tunnel. I promise!! Been there, done that....with Ultram. It can be done, but I will NEVER take that drug again. It can be devastating for some of us. Hang in there an keep us posted!!!!

rosie

Last edited by rosie d; 06-03-2006 at 05:17 AM.

Old 06-03-2006, 08:31 AM   #51
    Blasterboy
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Blasterboy HB UserBlasterboy HB User

I think it really is a case of "Russian Roulatte" with this drug! Although, I think people with histories of depression should especially aviod it for the reasons we're all discussing, surelly the reasoning makes sense!?

I'm just glad that I don't appear to have any problems with Ultram and that it's an effective pain killer for me. I've had two occasions when my nerve pain has subsided and I've been able to taper of this drug, no problem and for that (given these and other stories I've read) I'm very grateful.....

Closed Thread