It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• Klonopin(Clonazepam) Withdrawl

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-03-2006, 07:33 PM   #1
    Biyak123
    (female)

Biyak123 HB User
    Unhappy Klonopin(Clonazepam) Withdrawl

I tapered off Clorazepate and completed the taper with Clonazepam. I had been on Clorazepate for 25 years. I started the taper August/04 and completed it by June/05. It was not fun!

The W/D symptoms were unreal. I still had insomnia,dizziness and other symptoms such as memory lapses,short term memory problems,concentration problems........shortness of breath and a burning tongue started after the taper.

By September/05 I thought I was going to die with no sleep,restlessness,head pains.

I was desperate! My family Dr. sent me to a Neurologist and he put me on ...YES Clonazepam(Klonopin) 0.5 three times a day (1.5 daily) and said to double that amount in two weeks.

I did not double it and am still in 1.5 mg a day.

The sleep was fine for about a month with it and now I am having problems sleeping. I will not take more than 0.5 at night.

I WANT TO GET OF THIS ROLLER COASTER AND STAY OFF IT!

I am so afraid to start the taper again since it is a tough road but I know I am caught in this and must get out.

The past week I have been taking .25 for my morning dose and have done all right with that.

I know I can get help with a taper plan since I spent hours online reading the Ashton Manual and other great sites during my last taper over a year ago.

I AM SCARED ....I guess afraid that I can't do it again.

Please help.

BIYA

Last edited by Biyak123; 03-03-2006 at 07:34 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-03-2006, 07:47 PM   #2
    jam338
    Veteran
    (female)

jam338 HB Userjam338 HB Userjam338 HB Userjam338 HB Userjam338 HB Userjam338 HB User
    Re: Klonopin(Clonazepam) Withdrawl

hi Biy, sorry you are going through such a hard thing. The critical thing, as you now know from the Ashton Manual, is that you MUST do a slow taper. Is your doctor supervising your taper for you?

Old 03-03-2006, 09:47 PM   #3
    Biyak123
    (female)

Biyak123 HB User

A Psychiatrist is going to help with it but she seems to have the idea that I can come off it more quickly than I do. I have been there and know that the slower the better.For me anyway.

Thanks for the response. Encouragement is really what I need. I am scared.

BIYA

Old 03-03-2006, 11:41 PM   #4
    jam338
    Veteran
    (female)

jam338 HB Userjam338 HB Userjam338 HB Userjam338 HB Userjam338 HB Userjam338 HB User

Biya, you CAN do it! Many others have, and so can you! Detoxing off of benzodiazepines requires a longer process, but it is a safer process for the type of drug it is.

When you say that you are scared. I am assuming that means you have FEARS of WDs; everyone does; it is normal. You would be very abnormal if you didn't!! You have done your homework on it with THE ASHTON MANUAL so you are well informed. You will be under a doctor's care; however, absolutely insist on slow taper. If what she suggests is inconsistent with what you have read in ASHTON MANUAL and if you are comfortable then be adamant about feelings and your desire to follow a slow taper. If she is a good doctor she will support what YOU need.

When I detoxed off Xanax, I was terrified. Xanax is a short half life benzodiazepine @ 6-20 hours. Klonopin is a longer half @ 18-50 hours. The longer half life lessens risks and harshness of WDs. And, doing a slow taper from a longer half life drug won't be as bad.

Coming off of benzodiazepines, or any addictive drug where one has built tolerance, usually raises blood pressure. You can better manage your risks during taper detox by monitoring and managing your blood pressure. You might consider a home blood monitor kit or most pharmacy have a customer use machine though be aware there are disparities with them so if it seems substantially off at one, check it at another. If it seems higher than normal, or as a prevenative, you might want to add the supplement Taurine and eat Bananas (potassium); both help lower blood pressure so lessens risks. Taking a good B-Complex 100mg will help with anxiety. If blood pressure goes up quite a bit, contact your doctor and ask to be put on either Clonidine or a Diuretic (water pill) both are fast acting to bring blood pressure down. Also, do not take any anti-histamines (Benadryl, TylenolPM) as clinical studies show that anti-histamines during benzodiazepine detox increases risks.

You have been through detox before and basically know what to expect as far as symptoms go. Now, you just to need to effectively manage your risks, and you know what those are. You are smart and YOU WILL GET~R~DONE!!!!

Last edited by jam338; 03-03-2006 at 11:46 PM.

Old 03-04-2006, 03:18 AM   #5
    Blasterboy
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Blasterboy HB UserBlasterboy HB User

if you managed to take such a long time on the Clorazepate, it's a good progrnosis for you managing to take the time to get of the Klonpin. It's great that you didn't double the dose, it's a very potent drug Klonpin. 0.5mg is the same as 10mg Valiam! I've been on it for about 4-5 months for nerve pain and fortunatly I've finally found an anti seizure that seems to be working (Topomax) and that I can manage the side effects no prob's. So I've been fortunate enough to drop my dose in the past 2 weeks from 3.5mg to 2mg with just a little bit a tendancy for short fusing it! I know my relitivly short time on the drug will allow me a faster taper and after reading the stories about Benzo addictions/dependanzies, I'm keen to get off using this on a regular basis. My Pain doc has Authorised me to use up to 6mg a day if needed, instead of extra Oxy! Fortunatly I never got beyond 4mg and that was only on one day; it is more effect that the Oxy, but not as effective as the Topamax.

So I'm hopeful and I wish you the very best in your slow tape; I'm sure you will manage this and I wish you the very best of peace in the meantime.

Old 03-04-2006, 11:17 AM   #6
    Biyak123
    (female)

Biyak123 HB User

Thank you so much for the replies. This is going to help...just knowing there are others having gone through this and that still are.

It is good not to feel alone in this!

BIYA

Old 03-04-2006, 11:56 AM   #7
    jam338
    Veteran
    (female)

BIYA, you are not alone!!! Not only are you not alone, but you have a well prepared plan with medical support...many don't have that. Some feel they have to just jump off CT into a murky area of uncertainty. That is what happened to me so I know the feeling. Once I started with the feeling of the band tightening around head and my blood pressure started spiking it scared the hell out of me so I came online and started researching desparately what I could do to help me get through it and not abort the detox. I realize now in retrospect that I was VERY lucky that something bad didn't happen to me. I immediately readded xanax but at a lesser level than what I had been taking it and then contacted my doc for a script for clonidine for blood pressure and script for a longer acting benzo (valium) and did a bridge taper as suggested in THE ASHTON MANUAL though I have to admit that I rushed the time frame a lot which was likely not very smart, but being on benzos messes up your reasoning ability. All I could think about at the time was that I just wanted off that ****** so bad once I learned what I had done to myself. Knowing what I know now I would have asked to be switched to Klonopin instead of Valium---from what I have read it seems to be even safer to me. So, you have everything going in your favor here!!!

And, for those reading who are familiar with the infamous THOMAS DETOX RECIPE by Thomas04 (2001 version ingredient--Valium) (2004 version switched to Klonopin)...

Last edited by moderator2; 03-05-2006 at 07:46 AM.

Old 03-04-2006, 12:14 PM   #8
    Blasterboy
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

I wonder if the Klonpin Switch is best given what the Aston Report has to say?

Old 03-04-2006, 12:26 PM   #9
    jam338
    Veteran
    (female)

Blaster, what does Ashton say about Klonopin? It's been awhile since I reviewed it at any length...about a year. I know Klonopin is longer half life which usually means it is a better choice; that coupled with that the fact that one of the uses it is prescribed for is anticonvulsive properties, I would think would likely make it a better choice. From what I read, that is the reason Thomas changed the recipe from Valium to Klonopin.

REMOVED

Last edited by moderator2; 03-05-2006 at 07:45 AM. Reason: Members may not post anything about other message forums

Old 03-04-2006, 02:19 PM   #10
    Blasterboy
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

I bet it was just because it was an ultram detox and the Klonpin is better for anti seisure like you say. But I think it is the case the Valium has a longer half life (ABOUT DOUBLE KLONPIN.)

Old 03-04-2006, 02:34 PM   #11
    croaker50
    (female)

croaker50 HB User

Biya; I know you can do this. I have detoxed from benzodiazepams before, it is not comfortable, but there are alternatives to make the going easier. I did a very slow detox, used essential oils of Lavender and Clary Sage in a warm bath when I felt anxious, and just before bedtime. Lavender is naturally soothing, and Clary Sage lowers blood pressure. I also started exercising, which helped with sleep and anxiety. That was 10 years ago. I recently started back on benzodiazepam and am up to 2 mg at nite for sleep. But it is time to come off of it again, and I am somewhat apprehensive. I will follow the regime of the essential oils, you can perchase them at a health food store, and if I am able to, exercising. Good luck and blessings to you.

L

Old 03-04-2006, 06:26 PM   #12
    jam338
    Veteran
    (female)

Blaster, ya know, I think you are right that is likely why they switched it out for Ultram Detox.

Last edited by moderator2; 03-05-2006 at 07:46 AM.

Old 03-06-2006, 02:22 PM   #13
    Biyak123
    (female)

Biyak123 HB User

Blasterboy- How much clonazepam(Klonopin) were you taking daily when you started your taper from it?

I am starting down from 1.25 daily.

Does the amount you have been on make a difference in the taper? (Dose reduction).

Anyone eles with thoughts ALSO?

BIYA

Last edited by Biyak123; 03-08-2006 at 07:20 PM.

Old 03-06-2006, 03:08 PM   #14
    Blasterboy
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

3.5mg taking for about 4 weeks (from 2mg) then back down to 2mg within a one week taper. No problems. Hope to get down to 1.5mg next week if possible. Been on Klonpin for 4 months.

Last edited by Blasterboy; 03-06-2006 at 03:25 PM.

Old 03-06-2006, 10:10 PM   #15
    Biyak123
    (female)

Biyak123 HB User

Blasterboy- Will the last part of the taper be the hardest? When you get down to the 1.5 will it have to be a very slow stopping for you? Like will you have to make slower or smaller reductions?

BIYA

Closed Thread