It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• Sometimes I get hostile when I drink.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-05-2006, 08:44 PM   #1
    Mr.G
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Mr.G HB User
    Sometimes I get hostile when I drink.

I would say about 1 out of 5 times I drink heavily I tend to become quite hostile...as well as needy and just not being able to perceive situations in the rational light. I say mean things to my friends our ppl I dont know...nothing horribly mean but I just become a pain in the ***. I get kind of get whiney someties too and I am sure I annoy ppl. Another problem for me is I am what I would call an attention *****( I am a guy) but I love to be the center of attention. I have tons of friends and ppl always love to see me....so I tend to get a swelled head and end up being a jerk to ppl's sometime. When I am sober I am very nice to everyone and a lot of times I feel remorseful for how I was acting the night before. I really wish I would never act like I do sometiems when I drink too much. Well I dont want to quit altogether...but it would be nice to learn how to cut back so I can control myself more.

Also the thing is before I go out and drink I always tell myself not to act the way I do...but once i drink over a certain amount I get that way and I really do not even realize it..until the next day when I am thinking about it.

Last edited by Mr.G; 03-05-2006 at 08:56 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-06-2006, 03:59 AM   #2
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
    Re: Sometimes I get hostile when I drink.

it appears,just what I have noticed anyway,just because alcohol will bring down your threshhold of where to draw the line in certain situations,(afterall,it IS putting your brain slowly to sleep)that there are "happy" drunks,and angry drunks,you sound like one of the more angrier drunks.I know people who are the nicest people in the world but when drinking become actually capable of beating their wife.this guy is normally very quiet and would not hurt a fly,but man,get a few beers in him and he just totally can lose all control over himself and what he does.he finally quit drinking as quite obviously,this was not doing anything for his marriage or his friendships.he has been clean and sober and still married now for over 22 years.

some peole,just like with any other mood altering chemical or even Rx meds,will just become more sensitive to certain aspects of what ever it is they are taking or drinkling,for you,this is kind of like a bad side effect of using alcohol,and if you want to keep your friendships,you might want to consider stopping.this can only result in something hurtful being done to someone who you really care about in the end.honestly,even when trying socially,there are just some people who will react this way,and just should not ever drink alcohol at all.or if you feel that your drinking is not a critical problem,just try switching to some other form of alcohol.

for some reason,depending on what a person drinks,it can really affect how they will react to it while drinking.my husband is normally just a wonderful guy,even when he has a few beers in him.he is basically one of the happy drinkers but if he should ever ever actually drink blackberry brandy,wow what a total ***.the change in his personality is really dramatic and mean.but only just when he should ever drink that particular form of alcohol.don't know why,he just will be a very mean and rather nasty individual.needless to say,he doesn't drink that anymore.

Whether or not your drinking is actually a problem is really up to you to decide.either stop all together or try something else,or stop before you get to that angry person.good luck with this,Marcia

Old 03-06-2006, 11:37 PM   #3
    Mr.G
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Mr.G HB User

Thank you guys for the replies...and I have never been violent while drinking..I am actually quite controlled when it comes to that. I guess I have more of a problem like blasterboy of having a big mouth...getting a real swelled ego and sometimes just being downright mean to ppl for real no apparent reason. I know I can also be annoying...mouching off of ppl and getting angry when they are not doing things for me....I can be a real baby especially after I drink a lot. This does not happen eveytime I drink though....something has to trigger it...and it only happens when I drink a lot of hard alcohol. Another problem is that I black out a lot when I drink heavily...and through out the next day I will get glimpses of what I was doing and I start to get anxiety and wondering if I was being rude or mean to anyone. The problem I beleive for me is it seems liek I can get away with anything because I generally am a very nice person..and ppl really enjoy my humor...not to mention I look increadibly innocent. SO some nights I act rude, mean or whatever..adn the next day I will apoligize and people will be like "O dont worry about it..stop apoligizing"...but I still feel bad...and almost a bit angry that ppl dont call me out on my behavour. I think that another problem is that the ppl I hang out with are used to dealing with much worse ppl when drinking..and they probably see the things I do to not be that big of a deal.

My desire is not to stop drinking all together, but just to cut back to a more moderate level. I tend to drink upwards of a 5th of alcohol when I go out on the weekends. This is not effecting my work or any other social situation. I have however noticed that I do have physical problems..excessive sweating sometimes after a night of drinking, problems with sleeping, and digestion. For the most part I am a happy/fun drunk. I just have nights maybe one out 5 or 6 times I drink were I can be dramatic. Well thanks a gain for replies.

Old 03-07-2006, 05:35 AM   #4
    mpvt
    Inactive
    (male)

mpvt HB User

Your heading for trouble especially if your blacking out,a sure sign of an alchohol problem.Why don't you call AA and just talk to them maybe they can steer you in the direction you need to go.Good luck and don't give up.....Dave

Old 03-07-2006, 01:57 PM   #5
    Mr.G
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Mr.G HB User

Yah I think I am goign to stick to beer for quite some time.

Closed Thread