It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• Help! Addicted to Norco bad....

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-17-2006, 05:38 AM   #1
    norcoaddicted
    (female)

norcoaddicted HB User
    Help! Addicted to Norco bad....

Hi,

I have been reading the boards for a while now and I am so ready top kick this addiction to Norco 10/325! It all started a few years ago when I moved to another state and was in a depression, I had access to them from someone new I started working with. She had a friend who worked for a Doctorís office and she would call it in for us over the phone once a month. It then spiraled out of control and I started ordering them online... I soon was a full blown addict way in over my head.... I soon moved back to my home state and continued with the addiction till it was up to 18-20 per day!!! I want to quit so bad I just donít know where and when to start, I have 2 jobs and just the thought of withdrawal scares me to death.... I am afraid of the person I will be when I am not on them, scared of everything. I only have a best friend who knows of my addiction since she also takes them but not as nearly as much and only the 7.5ís ....I feel like I am slowly killing myself and I donít know where to turn.. I spend so much money every month on the pills from online sources and its making me bankrupt and I am only 27. I really need some advise, I was thinking cold turkey is the only way for me at this point. I thought maybe I should take my week vacation time and do it then? I donít know... Any advise is appreciated.

Thank You for listening,

Desperate in NY

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-17-2006, 09:12 AM   #2
    butterfly64
    (female)

butterfly64 HB User
    Re: Help! Addicted to Norco bad....

Hi Norc... welcome to the board!

Whether you realize it or not, you have taken the first step toward sobriety! Admitting that there is a problem, is one of the hardest parts of recovery. So to try and answer your questions...... For me cold turkey was the only way. I tried the weaning thing, severl hundred times, I am thinking. Those evil pills get quite a hold over you, and I was incapable of sticking to any kind of schedule... So after 5 years...I did finally kick oxycontin(or anything else I could get ahold of.....but boy oh boy!!!!!! I loved my oxys..)

I am not going to kid you, withdrawls are the worst thing you willl ever experience and live through..at least they were for me. But I think what most of us don't realize is, the physical part does end....it is the staying clean that comes afterward that gets tricky! If you are like most of us, you will fight this demon for the rest of your life.

The other thing I want you to think about is the depression you mentioned....kind of sounds like you may be self medicating... I sank into a horribly deep depression about 3 months after getting clean... So.. maybe you should consider finding a Dr that you can trust...tell them what you are doing... and ask about getting on anti depressants, now, rather than wait for depression to set in... Because, a/d take sometimes 3-6 weeks to get into your system....

Anyway, I hope this helps some.... there are tons of little tricks to ease the pain of w/ds.... and if you do go see a Dr... they can give you things to help also... Keep reaeding and posting!!! And good luck!

"If you don't see a light at the end of the tunnel, you're in the wrong tunnel."

Old 03-17-2006, 11:51 AM   #3
    Largeman
    (male)

Largeman HB User

"I am afraid of the person I will be when I am not on them" -- Boy does that ever sound familiar. I was convinced that I would no longer be me without the pills, which is ironic because I wasn't me WITH the pills to begin with. I wasn't social, I didn't feel happy, I spent all my time counting pills and worrying about going in to withdrawal because I was afraid I would loss my prescription and have to turn to other sources just to keep from feeling sick. Staying on those pills is far scarier than withdrawal every could be.

So imagine my surprise when I quit the pills and found that was I actually happier and felt more alive than I ever did. I'm sure as you thaw out emotionally after the pills you will feel the same. Think about how much money and time you will have when you aren't chasing pills all the time. Picture your life when you aren't counting your pills or worried about running out. Breaking free of those chains will make you happier than the pills ever could.

Of course quitting isn't easy and withdrawal is no picnic, but I think you will find that once you get past that first week (the vacation is a great idea) you will see that thawing out emotionally is exactly what you needed. And without having a 200mg a day habit to feed you might not even need that second job anymore.

Everyone tackles their addiction in their own way, but some of the options you might want to look in to are:
    * Tapering down before you quit to reduce (a little anyway) some of the withdrawal. Not everyone has the self-control to do this, but if you can it will help immensely.
    * Go see your doctor and tell him the truth so that he can help you during your detox and possibly prescribe you something to help with symptoms you will experience when you quit. He might also be able to refer you to a treatment center (inpatient or outpatient).
    * Find a drug counseling program, whether it is through your church or temple or Narcotics Annonymous or just one on one with a counselor. Quitting is only the first step. You will still need support to deal with the depression and other issues that prompted you to turn to drugs to numb yourself to begin with. I also highly reccomend coming clean with your close friends and family members so that you don't have to go through this alone. Maybe even encourage your best friend to join you in quitting so that there won't be any temptations there for you later and you will be saving her life before her addiction spins out of control too.
    * If you cannot afford to take an extended period of time off of work and rehabs aren't an option and you don't feel like you can make it cold turkey, there is still one more option; Suboxone. Find a doctor in your area who prescribes suboxone and talk to him about how the drug works to help you quit the norco. There are many many threads here discussing this drug and I highly reccomend you do some research to see if it might be right for you.
    I'm not advocating any one form of treatment over another, I just wanted to offer up some of the options you have to help you beat this. You are not alone in your struggle here and I hope you find the inspiration and support here you need while you are preparing to reclaim your life!

Please keep us posted and feel free to ask any questions - someone here has probably had the same question at some point and can at least point you in the right direction to an answer.

Good luck!

-Large

Last edited by Largeman; 03-17-2006 at 11:53 AM.

Old 03-17-2006, 01:24 PM   #4
    butterfly64
    (female)

butterfly64 HB User

Ya know..

It amazes me how differnetly each one of percieves our withdrawl and detox...

Most of you(us)... feel this magnificant feeling of freedom. But I still stand behind the fact......... "It just depends on what damage we have caused",,, as to how horrible the mental part is!!!!!!!!!!!!! I did MAJOR DAMAGE.... as I am so sure most of you can relate to......... But.... I have been clean off of narcs for going on 9 months.........and HELL still follows me!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just always count on yourself! YOU ARE ALL THAT MATTERS (With the exeption of your kids)!!!!!!!!!

"If you don't see a light at the end of the tunnel, you're in the wrong tunnel."

Old 03-17-2006, 02:01 PM   #5
    Largeman
    (male)

Largeman HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by butterfly64
    Ya know..

It amazes me how differnetly each one of percieves our withdrawl and detox...

Most of you(us)... feel this magnificant feeling of freedom. But I still stand behind the fact......... "It just depends on what damage we have caused",,, as to how horrible the mental part is!!!!!!!!!!!!! I did MAJOR DAMAGE.... as I am so sure most of you can relate to......... But.... I have been clean off of narcs for going on 9 months.........and HELL still follows me!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just always count on yourself! YOU ARE ALL THAT MATTERS (With the exeption of your kids)!!!!!!!!!
    I would agree that there can be lasting damage in many areas of your life -- physically and emotionally stemming from your addiction - this is why a post-addiction recovery plan is such an integral part of staying clean.

It's like what happens with a hurricane; the clean up and recovery after the storm depends on the strength and length of time the hurricane was around. And even after the power comes back on there may still be a lot of destruction to rebuild from. You may have lost a lot along the way, but the important thing is that you made it out alive!

-Large

Old 03-17-2006, 03:11 PM   #6
    butterfly64
    (female)

butterfly64 HB User

[QUOTE=Largeman]I would agree that there can be lasting damage in many areas of your life -- physically and emotionally stemming from your addiction - this is why a post-addiction recovery plan is such an integral part of staying clean.

It's like what happens with a hurricane; the clean up and recovery after the storm depends on the strength and length of time the hurricane was around. And even after the power comes back on there may still be a lot of destruction to rebuild from. You may have lost a lot along the way, but the important thing is that you made it out alive!

-Large[/QUOTE/

HERE HERE!!!!!!!! Well said, Large!!!!!!!! as usual, you came behind me and posted so eliquentally (sp?).........what I was trying so hard to say!!!!

Old 03-20-2006, 07:38 AM   #7
    madhatter
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

madhatter HB User

20 a day,you might want to go get your liver checked.By medical standards,your liver can handle up to 3 to 4000 g of tylonol a day,so if your taking 20,thats 6500 g of tylonol a day passing through your liver.Lortab,norco,vicodin,on the long term of use can be very damaging to your .body

Old 03-20-2006, 08:58 AM   #8
    norcoaddicted
    (female)

norcoaddicted HB User

Thank you so much for the responces... I am trying my best to slow down but I feel so terrible its hard when u have that releif just waiting for you in a bottle... I think I am going to do this around May take a week off and stay at my best friends apartment, she already said I can stay with her for a week while I am sick. I do not want to start on something else to get off of them to only have to then get off of that something. its just a never ending cycle of addiction and abuse. I wish I loved myself to quit and deal with the withdrawals. Thanks again, I will overcome this some way

Old 03-20-2006, 09:05 AM   #9
    CHINAFAN
    (female)

CHINAFAN HB User

Butterfly.............can You Tell Us Wheat Little Tricks Are For Withdraw?
    Thank You..............

Old 03-21-2006, 05:46 PM   #10
    butterfly64
    (female)

butterfly64 HB User

Well... you have just asked me about the one subject I would consider myself an expert in..... am I proud of that? Nope..and beleive me, nothing takes it away completely... For me that was necessary, as I still reflect on the discomfort of those early days quite often.......

For me, the best thing I ever got ahold of was...immodium, lots of water, lots of hot baths... (and I mean LOTS...)....if you have a dr you trust, he can give you (I am at such a loss here....) hmmmm...I want to say klonipin, but I don't think that is right... someone will correct me..I'm sure. YOu can search for the "thomas recipe"...I think it is called, on this board. Lots of people swear by it.......the thing that helped me the most.. was keeping my mind occupied.. As I started to "thaw" out...my sensed started coming back. LIsten to music like you never have...feel the wind on your face, hear the birds sing...... all LIKE YOU NEVER HAVE....

And take one day at a time.....or one second....... and keep us posted!!!!

Old 03-25-2006, 08:09 AM   #11
    shybaybe22
    (female)

shybaybe22 HB User

i can relate. i am 27 also. I am an alcoholic and and a hydro addict. I quit the vics cold turkey. It was very rough but im doing better now. in a way i am glad i went thru such withdrawel and psychological misery, becasue it reminds me of what ill have to go thru if i relapse. NO WAY!!!!!

Closed Thread