It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• Just quit drinking and now TERRIBLE anxiety!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-17-2006, 02:04 PM   #1
    LonelyTraveler

LonelyTraveler HB User
    Unhappy Just quit drinking and now TERRIBLE anxiety!!

Good evening

This is my second relapse. The first time I drank a case of beer (12 beers) every day for nearly a year and a half before I quit "cold turkey". This time around I have ben drinking between 4-8 beers a day for about 7 months. A few days ago I quit cold turkey again and now my anxiety is through the roof!!. I already suffer from generalized anxiety disorder (GAD) and panic attacks but now I'm into my second day sober and I'm having horrible anxiety and my throat feels like it's closing up and my breathing is off, etc. Is this normal for alcoholics who have just quit?.

Thank's for any input!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-17-2006, 02:30 PM   #2
    Blasterboy
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Blasterboy HB UserBlasterboy HB User
    Re: Just quit drinking and now TERRIBLE anxiety!!

Yep, it takes a few days for the body to redjust; if you're especially concerned go and see your doctor who might percribe a "short" dose of benzo's like librium or valium to tide you through the 1st few days. Are you going to go to AA; it's very helpful to be around people who've been through what you're going through; try several different meetings so that you can meet many people and in case you prefer certain meetings.

Best wishes in staying sober. Remember anyone can stop, but staying stopped that's our problem and that's why we need help in find a way to live a new live style.....

Old 03-17-2006, 02:48 PM   #3
    LonelyTraveler

LonelyTraveler HB User

Thank you SO MUCH Blasterboy!!.

Well, I took a Xanax about 15 minutes ago and the anxiety has calmed down quite a bit. In a few more minutes, I'll take an Atenolol which is a beta blocker and also helps with anxiety as well as my high blood pressure. Then, this evening, I'll take an Atarax and feel so relaxed and calm and sleepy that I won't even miss the alcohol. I have found this this particular combination has worked well for me during my struggles to get off of alcohol and/or to get rid of this horrible, debilitating anxiety.

Thank's for letting me know these feelings are normal and that I'm not alone. I really appreciate it!!.

- Regards, LT

Old 03-17-2006, 02:53 PM   #4
    Blasterboy
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Blasterboy HB UserBlasterboy HB User

Just don't switch the drink for pills, I used to do that, take a few days of the drink and then take a few days on the pills and add infinitum; if you're serious about stopping I'm supprised to hear you talking about popping so many pills!

Old 03-17-2006, 02:54 PM   #5
    kindspirit
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kindspirit HB Userkindspirit HB User

Oh yes, I too am suffering with lump in my throat and clearing mucus. This started when I decided to quit off and on. I am also tapering from meds which these are all drugs and effecting our bodies in withdrawal. The anxiety is off the top with me too. I think we have just gotten so use to the "numbness" from booze that our bodies are in high gear when we take it away. In time, this will pass. I've made it in the past for 3 wks and the anxiety did lesson. Dido with AA meetings, that saved me last yr when I decided enough was enough. But like a fool , rationalized that I could handle moderation... nope. Sometimes yes I could and did but never could totally go a wk without. I am on day 2 also, and it seems to peak around 2-3 then gets better, remember this is only temporary!! So you've got the good days soon!! But AA makes you feel better, not alone!! Also to see people at meeting events and having fun, no alcohol!! that is so warming to the heart!! Hang in there!

Old 03-17-2006, 03:00 PM   #6
    kindspirit
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kindspirit HB Userkindspirit HB User

Yes, be cautious of Xanax, that is what I am withdrawing from right now!! BAD drug. I did the same thing, alcohol days, sub with xanax back and forth, be so careful, if you want to be sober you must be totally sober you can't have one replace another.

Old 03-25-2006, 08:14 AM   #7
    shybaybe22
    (female)

shybaybe22 HB User

yeah i just want to emphasize what someone had said in a prev reply, dont switch alcohol for pills, thats EXACTLY what i did. i was drinking a pint of vodka daily for a yearand a half, went thru withdwaels got hospitalized, still continued drinking for a couple months though not quite as heavily until i started using hydros, then i stopped drinking, it was easy. then i got addicted to hydros and had even worse withdrawels. sucks!

Closed Thread