It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• Heroin And Venlafaxine

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-22-2006, 05:37 AM   #1
    AlisonL

AlisonL HB User
    Unhappy Heroin And Venlafaxine

Hi. Anyone out there used Venlafaxine as a 'recreational' drug? And combined with heroin. Both poisons were found in the toxicology report on my daughter's death. I'm trying to find out what she hope to get from the combination. Any help would be appreciated?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-22-2006, 09:03 AM   #2
    KFld
    Veteran
    (female)

KFld HB User
    Re: Heroin And Venlafaxine

I'm not sure how to respond to this post, but felt I had too. I used to come here daily, but now just check in once in awhile. My son is in his 5th month of being a recovering heroin addict, so my heart goes out to you. Actually right now my heart is in my mouth after reading your post.
    I have no idea what that other drug is, I just wanted to say I'm so sorry to hear about your daughter. I can't even imagine the pain you must be dealing with.
    There are probably many others here who will be able to help you with the other drug and the effects of it. Hopefully you will get the answers you need and be able to get a better understanding.
    As a parent, and there are a few others on this board, of a drug addict, it is a fear we have everyday that we will lose our children to this awful awful addiction.

I don't know what else to say, just felt I need to say something.

Old 03-23-2006, 01:14 AM   #3
    AlisonL

AlisonL HB User

It was really kind of you to respond. Heroin is a truly terrifying drug. My daughter, Tiffany, had been on it for all of a month. She was just two weeks short of her 19th birthday when she died. Her boyfriend is an addict too. I was told that they had done ecstasy the night before she died - I heard she took 4 tabs, he took 7 - but there was no trace of ecstasy in her tox report, only this Venlafaxine (also known as Effexor), a highly addictive anti-depressant, and ibuprofin, a muscle relaxant, and morphine (heroin).

Old 03-23-2006, 06:22 AM   #4
    digmusic
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

digmusic HB Userdigmusic HB Userdigmusic HB Userdigmusic HB User

I'm sorry for you, I'm a heroin (recovering) addict, and one of my best friends died of an overdose of fentanyl in November - although he didn't die of a heroin overdose, he was using fentanyl to overcome his heroin withdrawal in the first place. I don't know why your daughter would have combined venlafaxine, ibuprofin and heroin, perhaps she was taking the other two drugs for their standard every day uses, did she have a prescription to effexor? In other words, I don't know if she deliberately mixed them with heroin to get some combined effect or if those all just happened to be in her body. Either way heroin is the culprit, it's quite an evil drug and has destroyed the minds hearts and souls of me and some of my closest friends. Bless you, you will be in my thoughts

Old 03-23-2006, 08:01 AM   #5
    KFld
    Veteran
    (female)

KFld HB User

I didn't realize it was the same thing as effexor. My husband takes effexor for anxiety, but I don't really know anything about taking it as a recreational drug. Perhaps she was taking it daily for other reasons and you weren't aware of it.
    My son will be 19 on Monday. I can't say I can imagine your pain, because I truly can't. How long ago did she pass away?
    Do you have family support? I hope you find peace in all of this.

Old 03-23-2006, 04:08 PM   #6
    chefob1
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

chefob1 HB User

may god touch you with his healing hand.....i started usin drugs at 14 years of age and am now 46....ive finally beaten a 15 year habit of usin opiates....prescribed for back injury and bought pills off the street...i used heroin when i was 24....just snortin it and after a year went on methadone and had to kick that one too....got my act together at age 30,got married and have two beautufl girls...ages 11 and 14....what made me finally come to grips with my addiction was my 14 year old confided with me and told me she smokes pot and tried coke....needless to say i was devastated and am trying to prevent her from usin with all my effort...i do not want her to go the way i did...she is after all my daughter and i love them both and my ex-wife too...unfortunately the evil grips of adiction spiralled me all the way down...lost my ececutive chef position....divorced,i didnt want to but my wife at the time was tryin to save my girls from my self-detructive path....anyways bsack in 1999 i was reintroduced to heroin,this time injecting it....i know of two folks who overdosed because the mix wasnt mixed right and it was way too much for their system...we addicts all think we are bullet proof,know what we are usin...yeah,right....we become self centered and nothin matters except to find the euphoria we once had.....the drugs take away the endorphins your brain naturally produces to make you feel good....it took my spirituality,which i will kneel now and give thanks he found me again...my good friend is a dr. at an area rehab facility...he too was usin in the operating room and became addicted...he has been in recovery for 8 years himself and his higher power thankfully found him....i get the info strait from him on how unreal addiction is and effects everyone....some people decide with their choice to take drugs and some dont....i regret every high moment i had because that is what my life evolved around...now,i have been re-enlightned to what life is really about and choose not to do it with drugs...life does return...for some of us......i know this doesnt make alot of sense but my heart goes out to you and the lord wil watch over your daughter...effexor i took for a short stint for depressionbut didnt like the side effects...heroin with us addicts...we went and bought the crap not knowing what it was...it could be rat poison...we dont know until we consume it...god bless the folks i knew that have also lost their lifes to drugs...im sure they didnt want the end result to be....but we do/did play russian roulette evry time we got high....maybe the lord has in plan for me to teach the youth of today to say no to drugs...my lil 14 yr old told me she thought it was cool....not....i pray she comes around before she has any/any thing bad happen to her.....ramblin....god bless....chef

Old 03-25-2006, 01:22 AM   #7
    AlisonL

AlisonL HB User

It is really kind of you guys to have taken the trouble to respond. Your compassion and understanding is so appreciated.

My daughter's boyfriend is a heroin addict - currently in his third stay in rehab since her death 9 months ago - and through him she went from being a fairly heavy weed smoker to ecstasy, CAT and heroin in the blink of an eye.

Drugs equally terrified and fascinated her. Combine that with the sweet arrogance of youth (she believed that she was stronger than drugs and that addiction wouldn't happen to her) and put a bit of bad luck and ruthless dealers into the mix, and before you know it, some mother somewhere - and this time it's me - has a dead child lying on a cold tiled floor with cops taking pictures of her body.

I was told later that she had taken 4 ecstasy tabs the night before she died, but there was no trace of ecstasy in her body - only heroin, Effexor and ibuprofin. She wasn't prescribed any pills for their legitimate use, so I'm wondering whether she thought she was being given ecstasy and they were prescription drugs instead? Maybe they look similar. I'm waiting to hear what the quantities of the drugs were, but I guess it's looking like a heroin OD.

For anyone who's reading this and battling - a friend, an addict, a bewildered parent like me - I wish you strength.

Old 03-26-2006, 10:16 AM   #8
    Timmay!!
    (male)

Timmay!! HB User

Alison,

Sorry to hear about your loss.
    A street fact about mdma(ecstasy). Quite a few people who obviously illegaly manufacture this drug cut it with Heroin. Just so you know, God Bless.

Closed Thread