It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• Alcohol and Ambien... help please

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-25-2006, 05:40 PM   #1
    kathyjb
    (female)

kathyjb HB User
    Alcohol and Ambien... help please

Hi new here

if this is not in the right place could someone move it for me please?

I have a friend who is a heavy drinker, in fact would say is an alcoholic but refuses to seek help. The doctor prescribed Ambien for occasional use for sleep problems, however because he drinks heavily on a weekend he sometimes takes maybe 1, 2 or even 3 - (1 is prescribed,) resulting in collapsing allover the place and sometimes no memory of the weekend. BTW, this does not happen every weekend, However last night he attacked me for no reason, this would not normally be in his character to do this, could anyone tell me if the Ambien could be in any way responsible for this? he had absolutely no idea whatsoever of what had happened. The Ambien has now been removed.

thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-25-2006, 06:02 PM   #2
    Ukonom
    (male)

Ukonom HB User
    Re: Alcohol and Ambien... help please

Have you seen the recent reports on Ambien?? People sleepwalking, sleep-eating, etc. and not having any recollection of their behavior. It is pretty scary. I have no doubt the Ambien led your friend into this type of behavior, and certainly needs to stop asap......count your blessings, as it couldv'e been worse, and somebody could've ended up serioulsly hurt. I'm sorry about his alcoholic problem......I have tried Ambien, and it made me seriously "out of it" so I can't imagine what mixing it with alcohol would do. He is probably lucky to be alive also! I hope he gets help for his illness!
    Ukonom

Old 03-26-2006, 12:18 AM   #3
    walkersma
    (female)

walkersma HB User

Hi guys, I am an old timer of these boards; they helped me get the monkey off my back of hydrocodone. By the grace of G-d I am still clean of that drug. During my heavy hydro use, I took two Ambien one night and, from what my best friend and husand told me, started preparing for a picnic at 2:00 in the morning. I was making sandwiches, icing cokes, the whole deal. and they said I talked a mile a minute. I am ABSOLUTELY NO memory of all this. The last thing I remember from that night is still being awake and starting to have hallucinations of fog coming into the bedroom. I scared them so bad, they took me to the emergency room, where I eventually "came to". From what I understand my experience is non uncommon.

I think that if you use Ambien occaisionally as prescribed and go to bed immedately after taking it, it works. I use it sometimes now during a sleepless night and have had no more weird things happen. The trick is to take it and go IMMEDIATELY to bed. It will knock you out, and you wake up in 8 hours whether you want to or not. Feeling rested and ready to go. But somehow, if doesn't seem like restful sleep.

I guess my issue here is to exercise extreme caution when taking Ambien, never take more than prescribed and don't make it a habit to take. Please never take it with alcohol in your bloodstream - that is just begging for trouble. The ER doc that night told my husband it was actually some sort of street drug that somehow got legalized and she wouldn't let anyone in her family take it if it were up to her. I stopped taking it when I detoxed from the hydrocodone, as well as giving up my Lexapro, my Klonopin for anxiety and went cold turkey without a single drug in my system. I thought for sure I was about to die, but I lived.

I eventually went back on the Lexapro for depression and Ambien to sleep every once in a while. So, it can be bad, but it can be good. Wasn't it Powell (Bush's staff) that said "Everyone here takes Ambien"?

Take care of yourselves guys, I read these boards daily, they helped me stay clean and there are some wonderful folks here.

Robin

Old 03-26-2006, 08:11 AM   #4
    kathyjb
    (female)

kathyjb HB User

Thank you both for you quick replys - that has helped me

Ukonom, where can I find these reports on Ambien?

Thanks kathy

Closed Thread