It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• It Is Very Painfull!!!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-05-2006, 09:09 AM   #1
    keecha1
    (female)

keecha1 HB User
    It Is Very Painfull!!!!

Hi everyone! I have been addicted to Vicodin for about 3 years now. It's gotten so bad that I take about 20 pills a day. Monday I decided that I had to stop. I can't imagine what I'm doing to my liver not to mention the cost has gotten out of hand. I've been hiding this from everyone, and I'm tired of it. So I decided to wean myself off of the drugs. Monday I only took 8. Yesterday the same and today I've had 4 so far. The problem is, I am in terrible pain!! My whole lower body and back are killing me! Last night I had a fever of 102 and had to call in sick for work. Is it normal for me to be experiencing this kind of pain from just cutting back? How long is this going to last? I'm not sure I can do this. Please, if anyone had gone through this, I could really use some encouragement.

Anne

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-05-2006, 10:51 AM   #2
    tina76
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tina76 HB User
    Re: It Is Very Painfull!!!!

Anne - What were you originally taking the vicodin for? If you have a pain condition that you originally started taking them to treat and you still have that pain condition, then yes, withdrawel will exaggerate any pain you might normally be having. At least it was always that way for me with my pain condition when I would w/d. That is what always caused me to fail at my taper attempts.

If you DO have a pain condition I would recommend talking to your doctor about your desire to go off the meds. They can be a lot more understanding and helpful then you might think. I know that mine was.

If you are NOT taking these for a pain condition then it COULD just be withdrawel. It affects everyone differently. I've personally never heard of anyone having a fever or anything with it though... It could be that you have come down with a virus or flu on top of your w/d?

If you have enough pills then you may want to consider a slower taper. Dropping from 20 pills to 8 per day is a pretty big jump and IS going to involve some heavy duty physical w/d symptoms. Personally I feel that if you have enough will power that a slow taper would lead to more success. I know that when I tried to go too fast I always ended up taking them because I couldn't handle the horrible w/d because I was dropping the dose too quickly (normally I had no choice only having so many pills left,etc...). And as I said, I was never able to go off/off them on my own due to my pain condition. I had to involve my docs and find a new med, etc...

Tina

Old 04-05-2006, 11:25 AM   #3
    keecha1
    (female)

keecha1 HB User

Hi Tina

I originally started taking them for tooth pain. That tooth is long gone now. I'm starting to wonder if I haven't suffered some back injury in this time without realizing it due to the fact that I was over medicating myself. The back pain is still pretty bad today, and I think I stil have a slight fever. I'll see tonight how it is. Last night was worse. You think that tapering down to 8 is too much? What would you suggest. How many pills for how many days. Any suggestions would be very helpful.

Anne-Marie

Old 04-05-2006, 11:29 AM   #4
    jkhopeful
    (female)

jkhopeful HB User

HI Anne

You got good advice from Tina about the pain. I personally wasn't taking Vicodin for pain, but I was in a lot of pain as I was withdrawing. Especially in the back. I also ran a fever (not quite as high as yours, but over 100) for at least a week. You said you're taking 20 pills - how many mg each? You are doing a drastic taper - it will be easier on your body if you taper slower as Tina said. I personally couldn't taper - I just didn't have the willpower to do it. As long as the pills were around, I took them so I had to go cold turkey. I was taking 45 to 50 mgs a day when I quit - not an extreme amount, but I still had some pretty heavy duty withdrawal symptoms including the back pain and fever. Hope this helps. I'll check back later.

Jan

Old 04-05-2006, 11:30 AM   #5
    mpvt
    Inactive
    (male)

mpvt HB User

You really should try and get on suboxone(buprenorphene).This drug will take away any and all your opiate cravings and stop any withdrawl you have.Thereby letting you to continue working and getting used to living without these pills.Once you've been stable for awhile then you and your doctor then decide when to start a medical detox.Going cold turkey is very difficult especially when you have to work and I would think you would be setting yourself you for failure.That's not to say that it can't be done but now a days you don't have to go through that kind of pain.Whatever you decide I wish you the best.....Dave

Old 04-05-2006, 11:42 AM   #6
    keecha1
    (female)

keecha1 HB User

Thanks for your responses. I was taking 20 10mg pills a day. If I taper will that prolong the w/d symptoms? A week I can live through, anything longer than that I might not be able to. Dave, is the suboxone(buprenorphene) a prescription drug? I haven't told my doctor what I'm going through, as I am really ashamed about this. NOBODY knows, and I hope to keep it that way.

Anne

Old 04-05-2006, 12:20 PM   #7
    jkhopeful
    (female)

jkhopeful HB User

HI Anne

Suboxone is a prescription drug and there are only certain doctors who work with it. You can go to the internet to see if you can find one in your area. They each only take so many patients so just be persistent if that's the route you want to go. Hopefully, you live near a metropolitan area where it will be convenient for you to find a suboxone doctor.

I wasn't taking as much as you, but I was taking it for a much longer period of time and I considered suboxone as well. Now that I've lived through the withdrawals, I'm glad I just went cold turkey. The worst physical symptoms are usually over in a week or so - I'm not sure if its worse the longer you use or the more you take or whatever, but seems no matter what, withdrawals are nasty as you've already begun to experience. Its like having a bad flu for a week or so - you won't die from it. If you think you can taper, try that for a couple of weeks or even a month and maybe the w/d won't be so severe. The Thomas detox recipe is on this website in several places - hopefully you can tab down and find it. I'll look for it later when I have a minute. Right now I'm at work and don't have much extra time on my hands. I'm sure others will help you find it as well. Good luck to you in whatever method you choose to get clean and sober.

A friend, Jan

Old 04-05-2006, 12:23 PM   #8
    jkhopeful
    (female)

jkhopeful HB User

oh and one more thing Anne - try not to feel so ashamed. there are literally thousands of us out there just like you. Addiction is sneaky - it can happen to anybody. Take care

Old 04-05-2006, 02:09 PM   #9
    tina76
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tina76 HB User

Anne - The idea behind tapering is to slowly get yourself down to a low enough mg a day where you can just jump off and have very little to NO w/d symptoms. That is why it is best to do a slow taper if you watn to avoid w/d. Normally you can drop your dose 10mg a week (or say, every 5 days if you want to go faster) without feeling any w/d symptoms. And then you would just slowly keep going down til you were only taking 10mg a day and then going off should be easier. The reason you need to go multiple days on the new dose before dropping again is to allow your body to adjust to that new dose. That way when you drop again your body is now used to taking that lower mg so when you go even lower, just like the time before, you don't really notice it all that much. Honestly, I think you will have w/d if you drop even as much as 20mg. Although it won't be anywhere near what you are suffering thru right now dropping as much as you have.

BUT... I do have to say because you were taking a pretty large amt per day (200mg) you might want to do ONE big drop to start with. You will have some w/d but it won't last forever as your body will adjust to the smaller (but still substantial) dose. Maybe drop down to 14 a day to begin with? Someone else might have a better suggestion. I just feel that starting at 20 pills a day it is going to take forever to taper off.... so getting yourself a little lower faster might be good. If you did decide to do that and do ONE initial big jump down to 14 or 15 a day...I would probably stay at that dose for a couple of weeks as it might take a little longer for your body to adjust to the new dose since it is SO much lower. BUT you can stay at the 20 a day. I just don't know how fast you want to do this. If you dropped 10mg a week I don't think you would even notice it really. And yes, it would take awhile....but in the end you would be free of the pills! And if you need to avoid W/D completely...that would be teh way to go in my opinion. Plus it is easier to adjust to mentally the slower you go. It's not so extreme and depressing feeling.

I'm sure others will have ideas about a taper as well!
    Tina

Old 04-05-2006, 03:41 PM   #10
    keecha1
    (female)

keecha1 HB User

Hi Tina

Thank you for your suggestion. The way I feel now is very depressing. To think that this will continue indefinately is unbearable. My lower back is extremely sore, my legs are sore and the side of my torso is tender. Not to mention the fever that I had last night. I had to return a book to the library this evening, and I can't tell you what an effort that was, and I broke out into a cold sweat by the time I got home. I just feel like crying. How in the world did I get myself in so deep? I just want the pain and the addiction to stop. Wish me luck.

Anne

Old 04-06-2006, 06:05 AM   #11
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

I would really see your doc about the pain and fever symptoms.you can also either come totally clean with him or keep that info to yourself.in your situation though,talking out this whole situation may be the best thing for you in the long run.

the fever could be stemming from some sort of actual infection or other situation,and your kidneys could be affected just by the intake of all that tylenol.it was ALOT.the kidneys take just as bad of a hit as the liver does,unfortunetly the kidneys will not regenerate like the liver can.

also,one thing to remember,with regard to fever?when you think of just what tylenol is normally used for(reduce temps and fevers?) this could possibley connected to the body trying to reacclimate itself.you could also have been actually dealing with some sort of medical problem that would have showed itself with this fvere before but you had been actually suppressing it by the huge amount of tylenol you were taking.

all just theorys here but at any rate,with the type of pain you are having,you really DO need to see your doc and have some basic blood work done.I really DO think you need to tell him whats been going on so he can make sure their isn't any real damage.he can also help you through this and possibly Rx you something to help the process and keep you feeling at least somewhat human.

your tylenol intake really was quite high,and one of the symptoms of kidney problems is the back/leg pain.it could just be some sort of kidney infection too.its just too hard to pin down without a docs help and some bloodwork.but at least seeing your doc for the backpain and fever really does need to be done.if ther is any sort of actual damage,believe me,you DO need to know.i wish you luck and lots of strength on getting thru this.marcia

Old 04-06-2006, 06:36 AM   #12
    tina76
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tina76 HB User

Anne - The way you describe your fever and your pain makes me think (as well) that you need to see a doctor. Your fever and the tenderness in your side, etc... may not be connected to your w/d at all. It would be awful to ignore the symptoms of something else thinking that it is just w/d and end up being really ill! The tenderness in your side concerns me. As Marcia said, it could be a kidney infection or something like that. Fever and pain are both symptoms of that. Also appendicitis could be in there as well. Have you been throwing up or anything like that? I really feel you need to get checked out. I guess whether or not you tell them you are also in w/d is up to you. But do it before you take a lot more pills. They could be masking your symptoms. This could be something that has been going on for awhile and you just didn't realize because of your hydro intake. And you don't want a kidney infection or appendictis to go on too long or they can be very dangerous. Definitely nothing to mess around with. And as I said before...I would hate to see you end up in the hospital because you (and we) all attributed your symptoms to withdrawel. At least give your doctor or a nurse a call and ask them what they think after descirbing your symptoms. Better safe than sorry!!! Let us know what they say!

Tina

Old 04-06-2006, 06:41 AM   #13
    keecha1
    (female)

keecha1 HB User

I know, and I understand but I can't tell my doctor. I'm hoping that it'll go away in a couple of days. It seems to be worse at night. If it was an infection, wouldn't it be bad all the time? Wishful thinking. I'll keep you posted.

Old 04-06-2006, 07:00 AM   #14
    tina76
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tina76 HB User

You don't HAVE to tell your doctor that you are going thru withdrawel. Just go in and tell them that you have a fever and this pain, etc.... Get checked out for that. They aren't going to assume that you are going thru drug withdrawel if you don't say anything. That way if they say that everything seems normal and that you must just have a virus or something then you can rule anything more serious out and YOU will know that it is the withdrawel. You don't have to say anythign about the addiction at all. During my days of popping tons of vic's I had to go to the DR for a horrible stomach flu and other things. I just never mentioned it to them. They never asked. Especially if you just go into urgent care or the ER. Just a thought. If it IS a kidney infection of some sort (and no, they wouldn't necessarily have to be hurting ALL the time, especially if you are taking the hydros, they can mask the pain and fever symptoms of other conditions) you don't want to let it go...even for just a few more days. They can be VERY dangerous. Not to scare yuo or anything...but it would suck to have something like that happen on TOP of your desire to taper off the hydro!

Tina

Old 04-06-2006, 07:15 AM   #15
    keecha1
    (female)

keecha1 HB User

Okay. I have a 3:00 appointment today. Wish me luck. I am NOT going to tell her about the w/d. Let's see what she says.

Closed Thread