It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• How to help a herion addict

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-07-2006, 12:35 PM   #1
    kim4074
    Inactive
    (female)

kim4074 HB User
    How to help a herion addict

I have a question for anyone who can help. How do you help a herion addict when the system has failed him. One of my fiances best friends from child hood has been on herion for about a yr now. He has stole from people has run up his parent credit cards. We are not innocent in this whole cycle because me and my fiance take Hyrdro's for chronic pain. Once in awhile if we run out a couple days early we would call him and buy pills off him in return he could get his herion fix. My fiance feels as though he can't tell him no when he calls to sell us pills even though we dont need them but doesnt like to see his friend so sick from withdrawl. I guess my last straw with this situation was when he showed up yesterday to sell us stolen products and my fiance is a diabetic and was begging him for his needles. He started out snorting it and now has begun shooting it. Of course we would never consider giving him needles plus my fiance doesnt use needles for his diabetes. On top of shooting herion now he smokes crack constinatly, take vicoden, snorts herion on top of shooting, takes oxy's, pot, and he has morphine suckers pretty much anything he can get his hands on. He drove himself to rehab and was turned away because of no beds available. But when we talk to him he is always high on something so were talking to the drugs. He acts like he wants to stop and get help but is always turned away. He has stopped showering this is a person who was a very clean person. He lives at home and it just seems his parents turn their heads and their house and turned into a drug den for everyone to come over and sit in their sons bedroom and do drugs all night. Is there a secret that we dont know how to get him into a rehab at the rate he is going he will be dead in less than a year. Anyone been through this need help I am just sick over the whole thing. HELP!

Last edited by kim4074; 04-07-2006 at 02:00 PM. Reason: want to bold title

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-07-2006, 02:04 PM   #2
    Constant
    Inactive
    (female)

Constant HB User
    Re: [b]How to help a herion addict[/b]

Quit enabling his destructive behavior and quit buying your drugs off of him. In my opinion, you have not only been enabling, you have been using him for your own addicition.

Also, in regard to the system failing him, I find this such an easy term to throw around. I wonder who has failed him more, his family and friends or "the system".

Good luck.

Last edited by Constant; 04-07-2006 at 02:05 PM.

Old 04-07-2006, 02:11 PM   #3
    kim4074
    Inactive
    (female)

kim4074 HB User
    Re: [b]How to help a herion addict[/b]

I know we have been enabling him how do we stop. I wanted advice on how to get him help.... As far as our addiction goes what addiction? We have stopped abusing the pills thats why I said we no longer need them. At that time we thought of it as a win win situation we got our fix and he got his. Then we took at look at ourselves and realized we were no better than him. We were sick about it and decided to take control of our lives back. Still suffer from chronic pain but deal with it. We havent taken any pills in over a week now. So as far as MY addiction I have decided to take control of that and stop it. Now how can I help my friend?

Last edited by kim4074; 04-07-2006 at 02:35 PM. Reason: change wording

Old 04-07-2006, 08:30 PM   #4
    penniedad
    (female)

penniedad HB User
    Re: How to help a herion addict

HE HAS TO WANT HELP,IAM 30 YR. A ADDICT, I HAD TO WANT TO GET AND STAY CLEAN.....NO ONE CAN HELP TILL HE WANTS IT!!!! BLESS ALL OF YOU

Old 04-07-2006, 08:53 PM   #5
    Ellnyc
    (female)

Ellnyc HB User

There are 12 step programs designed to help the friends, family members and spouses of addicts (and/OR alcoholics). For drug addiction, it is NAR-ANON - though even here in NYC, it can be difficult to find meetings. It might be easier to find ALANON, which is typically for alcoholics, but the premise is the same. If you are truly interested in helping, I would suggest attending one of these meetings. You will find people in the same boat as you, and hear the experiences of others who are in the same shoes.
    Good luck

Old 04-07-2006, 09:10 PM   #6
    kim4074
    Inactive
    (female)

kim4074 HB User

Thanks for you advice I will look into the alanone. Also Pennie what was your breaking point? Was there an intervention? He says he wants help I guess in the end it's his desire. We told him that we won't help him anymore not that we helped him but not to call us anymore or show up here strung out. Thanks for the advice I knew people on this board would come up with ideas. Pennie what was you drug? I know I'm not perfect but I'm trying!

Old 04-08-2006, 03:39 PM   #7
    cram315
    Veteran
    (female)

cram315 HB User

Ok, what exactly happens or is supposed to happen at one of these meetings for family members of addicts because we went to one meeting and we never went back.

Old 04-08-2006, 04:28 PM   #8
    madi'smom
    (female)

madi'smom HB User

kim-
    the friend should check into suboxone. It helps with d/t and that is something you can taper off of. My husband takes suboxone but the stuggle i'm having now os that he didn't seek counseling and he still has a mental dependancy and tries to use both heroin and suboxone. Dumb- i know. But his habit of drug use i guess isn't easy to overcome. Suboxone is a sublingual tablet that disolves under the tongue and can only be taken that way. My husband found a dr. to rx it every month. In the beginning he had to go everyday to get dosed to get the milligrams adequate for his drug abuse amount. Once stabilized then once a month is possible. Hopefully the friend has insurance. If mot maybe state funded insurance could help. I'm not sure what state ur in but maybe that is an option. Let me know if I can help any further!

Old 04-09-2006, 09:14 AM   #9
    penniedad
    (female)

penniedad HB User

herion, always herion,started at 17,off and on for 30 yrs.,to be honest i liked the way it made me feel, i didnt have to feel anything,my first husband beat the hell out of me for yrs. back then there was no where to get help, anyway i left the state and did good for 10 yrs. then when i came back i got back with the same old friends and and went crazy with it, doing bundles at a time , well i knew i was going to die if i didnt stop ,OD so many times i should not be here now, i kept begging GOD to help me or just take me, he put me in JAIL, that is what did it, sometime i think god brings us to the bottom then we can come back up!!! but i had to want it, no one could help me but me!!!!!!!we have to want to change.........when ever i get upset or hurt ,i think back to what i was like back then and just pray,but its on me, no one can make me use but me!!!so you can only do so much, its on him, i will pray for all of you, herion is a death drug... slow death... ............i have no friends, just my ferret, and my kids who are all grown, none use, they say they never want to go threw what i did, i have 5, one works with abused kids, iam lucky i didnt lose them, but i know i hurt them, thats what is bad we hurt the ones we love.

Old 04-09-2006, 10:37 AM   #10
    kim4074
    Inactive
    (female)

kim4074 HB User

Pennie thanks so much just knowing that people can come off this drug and stay clean is great. Its a good accomplishment and you should be proud of yourself. As far as the suboxdone goes there is only one person in this area and they are only allowed so many people. At least now I feel as though there is help. Now if we can only find a time when its him and not drugs to talk to him we might have a breakthrough. This is such a scary thing I just have a gut feeling if he doenst do something he will be dead in less than a year. Pennie did you shoot too? Thanks again for all your advice. I will see what we can do but after that I guess its out of our hands. I dont think he can detox at home all of his friends will still try to get him to do it and I dont think his parents really care what happens. Madi thanks for your advice too this drug is just the worst well I guess they all are. Keep strong!

Old 04-09-2006, 02:12 PM   #11
    penniedad
    (female)

penniedad HB User

yes i did shoot, then my veins were gone, i sniffed, what about getting him on a meth program? thats how i had to do it! some people say it bad but it saved me,i did it slow and when i did get off i was not sick at all, also when i went to prison they put us on meth to, it gave me time to look at myself and ask WHY???i needed to be high,anything is better than death. 95% of my friends are dead!!! from drugs or AIDS, PENNIE

Old 04-09-2006, 06:00 PM   #12
    DC512
    (male)

DC512 HB User

very good advise in this thread. Being addicted to heroin myself for 6 months i know the pains of comming off it. Basically all i did was lock myself in a my house the whole time. Internet was a big help it gave me somethng to do. Checked out drug forums like when people fly and erowid.

Old 04-09-2006, 06:44 PM   #13
    penniedad
    (female)

penniedad HB User

please stay off, iam so glad you caught yourself fast, god bless you sweetie, its good to be clean........

Old 04-09-2006, 09:07 PM   #14
    kim4074
    Inactive
    (female)

kim4074 HB User

Pennie your last post mad me cry. I try soooo hard but sometimes I'm not that good. My EX was a heion addict and the only thing that got him off was jail too he just remembered the withdrawls they didnt give him anything and thats what kept him clean. You guys R a BLESSING no matter what you think. Maybe you went to what you whent through to teach and help others u know what if I can get this kid over here before he gets his next fix I'll make him read this! ALL of you are lifesavers!

Old 04-09-2006, 09:28 PM   #15
    kim4074
    Inactive
    (female)

kim4074 HB User

AHHH Pennie don't mean to put such a burdin on you I am going to college and almost have my degree and I am going to work with battered women how do you walk away? I just had a women at my house who was battered for years and she couldn't lok in the mirror and say I'm better than this I'm beautiful! Yet she is beautiful! As is everyone! Also I had a relapse how do I get someone help when I cannot contol myself and herion is in the same catagory as what I'm taking vicoden! My Grandma just had a stroke and standing in the hospital for hours on end and everything else I just started eating my Vic's like crazy I know who am I to preach when I walk in the SAME shoes? I have no cartledge between my knees so when I walk it bone on bone yet I'm too young for any surgery 30. I know I'm making excusses right now for taking more stress? Loosing a friend not really he's not dead but he's not the person I knew yet I still sometimes abuse myself who am I to preach. Feeling sorry for myself right now when its not about me its about getting help for my friend. Thanks all so much!!!

Last edited by kim4074; 04-09-2006 at 09:30 PM.

Closed Thread