It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Am I An Alccholic

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-09-2006, 06:50 PM   #1
joplin7042
(male)

joplin7042 HB User
Unhappy Am I An Alccholic

AM I AN ALCOHOLIC? i DRINKat least 8 pints every night i dont feel i can enjoy things as much without it. does this make me an alcoholic.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-09-2006, 08:14 PM   #2
flintrock
Senior Veteran
(female)

flintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB User
Re: Am I An Alccholic

Not sure it makes you an alcoholic now....but will in the future if you are dependent on something to make you happy. Advice: Stop now......see a counselor about your feelings.....

Old 04-09-2006, 08:50 PM   #3
Constant
Inactive
(female)

Constant HB User

Try stopping for a month and see not only if you can do it but how you feel not drinking. In that, you should find your answer.

Old 04-09-2006, 10:26 PM   #4
DallasAli
(female)

DallasAli HB User

Hi Joplin,

I am no expert on alcoholism, except that perhaps growing up with an abusive father who eventually died from his drinking--cirrhosis of the liver--gives me some insight as to what it's like to live with an alcoholic. I see you are in the UK, and okay, this might sound really silly, but is a "pint" there considered the same as a "pint" here, which would be 16 ounces? I feel so "worldy challenged" in asking that, but it would help me--who knows nothing about the different measuring systems--to determine how much alcohol you are actually downing. If that is correct, and a pint there is the same as 16 ounces...then it appears you are consuming a gallon a night? Does that sound right? Someone else help me here!

But I think we all know that it's not the amount you are drinking that determines if one is an alcoholic, I think it's more the other things, such as "...does drinking alcohol interfere with your relationships or your life(style) in a negative way?" If the answer is 'yes,' then maybe you need to look at your drinking a bit deeper. I mean, have you emotionally or physically hurt anyone--including yourself--while drinking? Do you drink to change who you are? Please know that I'm not trying to rattle off the answers to the "list of 10 questions to ask yourself if you're an alcoholic" by any means! It's just that those are a few things you might want to ask yourself that I've picked up in the little bit of material I've read.

There are many folks here who have experiences with either one or both addictions--alcohol, narcotics, and/or a combination of both. There are those who also add benzos, crack, and whatever, to the mix--so many, many different scenarios--if they exist, you will eventually meet them at this place. And this is a place of comfort, information, and anonyminity, which I feel is a crucial feeling to have when you are first questioning anything having to do with your behavior while drinking, doing other drugs, or whatever.

Perhaps you can tell us a bit more about yourself? Even though the story behind the addiction eventually leads to the same place, each story is different, and needs a certain amount of 'different' attention, I feel.

Welcome to the board, and hope to hear from you again. I apologize for my inablity to do the proper mathematical conversion, and again, I am not sure that the actual intake amount is the way of finding the answer to your post's question...

Best wishes,
DallasAlice

Last edited by DallasAli; 04-09-2006 at 10:39 PM.

Old 04-10-2006, 11:07 AM   #5
Blasterboy
Senior Veteran
(male)

Blasterboy HB UserBlasterboy HB User

Hi Joplin

Just one point that people get confused on, Alcoholism is not defined by how much we drink, but generally by how much our lives are controlled by the thought of drinking. Generally if it costs you more than money than you have a problem. Have you ever gone out and told yourself that you'll only have one beer and really meant it and then ended up having a skinful. We have this saying in AA, that the 1st drink is the problem not the 10th or 20th. If you didn't take the 1st drink you wouldn't get drunk.

Do you have a desire to stop drinking? Regarding your question about whether your an Alcoholic even if you are, only your realisation can have any meaningful and impact on a potential recovery and anyhow, once I realised I was an Alcoholic I drank on that for a few months until I truly saw how it affect those nearest and dearest around me. My life had become a mess, it had become unmanageable.

Anyhow well-done for making a start and asking the question, it's all about awareness and honesty at this point. Alcoholism is actually recognised as a disease by the world health organisation and one of it major symptoms is "DENIAL" of the illness, so try and watch out for that one as best possible!

Closed Thread