It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• Is it Safe to take Sleep Aids while Tapering off of Hydrocodone?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-16-2006, 09:19 PM   #1
    sFunk
    (male)

sFunk HB User
    Is it Safe to take Sleep Aids while Tapering off of Hydrocodone?

Hey all,

I'm currently on Day 2 and was wondering if its ok to take a plain, OTC, Diphenhydramine HCl sleep aid if I've taken Hydrocodone earlier in the day. The reason I ask is I did a few months ago when I was trying to quit and I felt really terrible afterwards, like I wasn't able to breathe. I was wondering if it had to do with some interaction between the two or perhaps there was just some other explanation for my inability to breathe.

I wouldn't mind so much, but I tried quitting CT about 3 weeks ago and made it 3 days except I didn't sleep at all (an hour if I was lucky, and I was taking the sleep aid then, too) and that is the worst part of withdrawls for me. I don't mind all the other terrible symptoms we experience as much, but I value at least a semi-decent night's sleep above all else. So basically thats the only reason I'm not going CT again.

I would go to my doctor and perhaps get a better sleep aid that would allow me to sleep while going CT, but its very important to me to do this all on my own (I'll still get help from you guys ) This time feels so much better than my previous attempts, I know I can do it. If for some reason I do relapse then I will definately go in to see the Doc, but I feel stronger than ever and like I have more willpower than ever (lol hopefully I'm this cheerful tomorrow morning )

Anyways, just wondering if it's ok.

-Funk

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-17-2006, 05:55 AM   #2
    chefob1
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

chefob1 HB User
    Re: Is it Safe to take Sleep Aids while Tapering off of Hydrocodone?

sleep is the last symptom to leave...it takes a couple weeks before sleeping patterns start to even return and then itll take some more time...opiates dink with your sleep...they produce an unatural sleep...once the endorphins,seretonin start to return to normal levels,your sleep will come back...remeber,your body will take its breaks when it needs too....if your not kickin at night your body at least gets rest,maybe not the brain....the brain will rest when it needs too/too...this is the worst hump/hurdle youll have to get over,unless you want to relapse...ask doc for trazadone..non narcotic anti depressant taken at night will help sleep...if you take benzos/sedatives,you prolong the w/d's...you may not think so at the time,but it does...i hated the sleep issue myself...but you got addicted..now you have to get yourself un-addicted....chef

Old 04-17-2006, 12:34 PM   #3
    tina76
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tina76 HB User
    Re: Is it Safe to take Sleep Aids while Tapering off of Hydrocodone?

It should be fine to take that over the counter sleep aid that you have. If it works for you. Were you going thru a lot of other physical w/d symptoms back that time when it seemed to affect you breathing? It might be somethign like that because I know they are safe to take....it is pretty much just generic benedryl that is in all those sleep aids you can buy at the drug stores. They should all be safe unless you have a bad reaction to benedryl or meds like it?

If those otc drugs work for you then I would for SURE stick with those rather than going out and getting a stronger med from teh doc. Only do that if the OTC stuff isn't workin for you.

Closed Thread