It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

how do you know?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-29-2006, 10:35 AM   #1
texascowgirl8
(female)

texascowgirl8 HB User
how do you know?

How do you know if what you do is classified as an addiction with such as alcohol and drugs?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-29-2006, 11:11 AM   #2
Blasterboy
Senior Veteran
(male)

Blasterboy HB UserBlasterboy HB User
Re: how do you know?

if it costs you more than money

Old 04-29-2006, 11:18 AM   #3
texascowgirl8
(female)

texascowgirl8 HB User

In other words meaning that I would do anything to get those things?

What about if it was just like 'on the road' to something bad?

Old 04-29-2006, 11:33 AM   #4
Blasterboy
Senior Veteran
(male)

Blasterboy HB UserBlasterboy HB User

Addiction is a three fold illness, mental, spiritual and physical. It affects us all too varying degrees in each of those three areas at different times of our lives. Some suffer the mental side the most; some suffer all three equally and so on etc. It's hard to quantify, only you can do that. Nobody but you can make a worthwhile declaration that you're an addict; it might be obvious to others, but only by you seeing it can you do something about it!!! Keep on asking the questions about your behaviour, keep on reading the posts about others behaviour, go to NA/AA if you want, see a counsellor if you think that will help. Bear in mind that there's not one sentence that will quantify you addictive nature, it's not that easy by any means!!! But you've made a start by acknowledging something’s not right and I commend you for that, I wish you the best as you move forward with things.

Old 04-29-2006, 01:26 PM   #5
NightSwan76
(female)

NightSwan76 HB User

I would guess the fact that you are questioning it is a good indication. When I was using painkillers "recreationally" before I lost everything financially I didn't consider myself an addict. When it went from spending a little here and there to working to support my habit and taking cash advances on my credit cards was my breaking point. Not to mention how unhealthy I looked, felt, my friendships were non-existent because my best friend was OxyContin. I was mean to my parents when I was sober(or in withdrawals, I should say). I would crawl into bed and hide and sweat under the covers when I was in withdrawals. If I had my Oxy, I was a social butterfly and could clean and organize like no one's business. It's very sad. Now I can clean, organize, socialize, talk to my parents without the help of a painkiller. It has been about 3 weeks for me and it has not been easy and there were days where I wanted to just lay down and surrender but I didn't once.
Am I an addict? Absolutely. Will I ever be able to "recreationally" snort an OxyContin ever again? Never.
Missy

Old 04-29-2006, 01:38 PM   #6
texascowgirl8
(female)

texascowgirl8 HB User

Thanks for yalls input/help/story. I dont think I'm an addict, but I think that if I continue using things, as you say, recreationally, then I think I may have a problem. I mean I can go a while without anything but in the past month I have taken like 3ish different drugs and I drink on weekends (I'm still in HS) and no this isnt just one of those 'stupid teens who wants attention' just had to clarify that because that is usually what comes across as. But at one point during the summer I was drinking/using every night. But I realized that's not normal and I stopped, but I think for the wrong reasons, so everyone would say "That's great you stopped!" but since it wasn't for me, I slipped back into it. Whenever I don't drink/use for a while that is one of the main things that I think about such as, "Wow, if only i could get drunk/high right now things would all go away." So from that you know about- do you think there is some sort of potential issue?

Last edited by texascowgirl8; 04-29-2006 at 01:39 PM.

Old 04-29-2006, 02:43 PM   #7
mpvt
Inactive
(male)

mpvt HB User

You certainly have a valid reason to be concerned.Any time alchohol or drugs are abused a red flag should go up.If you are having these feelings now at a young age then I would definately say there could be a potential problem if you continue to abuse.Your aware that something isn't right and that's good use it to your advantage....Dave

Old 04-29-2006, 04:02 PM   #8
texascowgirl8
(female)

texascowgirl8 HB User

Well see I know addiction runs HEAVILY in my family. And I am struggling with what would be classified as an addiction, I have an eating disorder, and I just didn't know if some of the things I am doing are going inside with that or if this is aside from that? I am in therapy right now and have talked a little about my drinking and have found that I do have some issues with that and using that as an 'escape' but not much has been done. I guess I just wanted more opinions? Thanks

Old 04-29-2006, 04:43 PM   #9
NightSwan76
(female)

NightSwan76 HB User

Addictions run in my family, too...from eating disorders to alcoholism and drug abuse. You are so young and if you recognize you could POTENTIALLY have a problem in the future, go with that feeling and understand that no substance is worth sacrificing your dreams and goals! I know this first hand. I have had problems with Ecstasy(years ago) and painkillers recently so I have spent a good part of my 20s trying to get and stay clean. I have missed out on alot and now at almost 30 I have to start all over from the bottom.
Missy

Old 04-29-2006, 04:52 PM   #10
texascowgirl8
(female)

texascowgirl8 HB User

Ok, I will make sure to bring up my thoughts with my therapist, maybe I can stop anything that could potentially become bad. And I too have been using pain killers (easy for me to get too with all the knee surgeries I have had) and Ecstasy, and I have been loving those and moving on to others so thats why it is starting to worry me! Glad to hear your story, thanks!

Old 04-29-2006, 08:00 PM   #11
madi'smom
(female)

madi'smom HB User

just note that ecstacy depleats the seratonin in your brain. Lack of seratonin can cause a clinical depression and create cause for anti-depressants. Excessive use of anything is bad. But seratonin is needed in your brain and lack of it can be very bad (mood stability wise)!

Old 04-29-2006, 11:18 PM   #12
texascowgirl8
(female)

texascowgirl8 HB User

Wow, thanks I definitely did not know that! Then that would explain everything mood wise with that...

Old 04-30-2006, 05:11 AM   #13
Betrad
(male)

Betrad HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by texascowgirl8
Wow, thanks I definitely did not know that! Then that would explain everything mood wise with that...

Depresssion is one of the side effects of withdrawal. The higher you go while using, the lower you go when you stop. The good news is, it usually only lasts a few days as your brain starts making more of the right nuerotransmitters and rebalancing itself. The depression can suddenly come out of nowhere and hit you like a ton of bricks. You can be okay one minute, and balling your eyes out the next. When that happens, remind yourself that it's a side effect of stopping the drug. That mindset alone can help a bit.

Also, dependence, tolerance and addiction are three different things, and only about 1 to 3% of legitimate pain patients become addicts. Even if you're not addicted, if you've been on opiates you WILL get withdrawal symptoms if you stop. That's just the nature of the beast.

Only you can decide if you're addicted, and if you are, you do not have to stay addicted. There is light at the end of the tunnel, and if you can stay clean for a week, you'll notice a dramatic difference in your overall state of mind.

Old 04-30-2006, 09:15 AM   #14
texascowgirl8
(female)

texascowgirl8 HB User

Thanks for all the info, this honestly explains alot of why I become a basket case and start crying sometimes afterwards.

I don't think I'm fully addicted I just think that theres a possible potential of something because of my family background and the way I have been feeling/feel about everything with my habits involving this.

Closed Thread