It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

OxyContin Claims another Victim

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-04-2006, 07:12 PM   #1
NightSwan76
(female)

NightSwan76 HB User
OxyContin Claims another Victim

Hey everyone. I just found out about an hour and a half ago that my boyfriend from back in Connecticut is dead from a drug overdose. I told him to stop...and he wouldn't. I asked him..what will it take for you to stop? I guess this is what it took.
His friend found him cold on the couch...I guess he must have passed out and choked on his vomit. I don't know all the details but I guess this is the most obvious scenario.
My life spiraled out of control due to painkillers. I just started to rebuild and feel good about starting over clean. Now the love of my life is dead because of drugs.
I don't know what to do or where to turn right now. I am 6,000 miles away from him with no way of getting to Connecticut to say goodbye to him. The last words we spoke were "I love you." Today is exactly 4 months until his 25th birthday.
I hope all of you guys out there really read this and take it to heart. There were many nights I passed out too high to know what I was doing, lucky to wake up in the morning.
There was my overdose on this past Thanksgiving Day on GHB at the dinner table...got rushed straight to the ER, as I was on the verge of losing consciousness...And not even THAT was enough to stop me from using drugs.
I pray for everyone who is still in the cycle of addiction and I pray for the family members, too. Please please please don't take your life and the lives of your loved ones for granted.
Missy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-04-2006, 08:09 PM   #2
bridgetmark
(female)

bridgetmark HB User
Re: OxyContin Claims another Victim

Missy, I am so sorry for your loss. I don't know what to say, except that I am glad you shared to help us all keep it on the straight and narrow. Give yourself time to grieve, and stay strong, we will all be here for you.
Bridget

Old 05-04-2006, 08:12 PM   #3
kim4074
Inactive
(female)

kim4074 HB User

Very sorry to hear about your loss. Thanks for posting maybe some people needed to see how dangerous this is its no joke. I will be thinking of you!!!!

Old 05-04-2006, 08:25 PM   #4
NightSwan76
(female)

NightSwan76 HB User

Thanks for your kind words. I feel very helpless right now. I wish I could've talked more sense into him but I honestly don't think he wanted to stop. He was very unhappy for many years. He was abused as a child and could not seem to get genuinly happy.
Nothing I could have said or done would have prevented him from doing drugs. He knew the consiquences, as we all do. I hope he is in a better, safe, peaceful place right now. I wish I could just hold him and kiss him one more time.
I would do anything to have him back but he was so unhappy. It is selfish that I would want him to stay miserable just so I could talk to him. I am rambling now because I am devastated.
Missy

Old 05-04-2006, 09:39 PM   #5
kipa
(male)

kipa HB User
Unhappy Re: OxyContin Claims another Victim

Dear Missy, I am so sorry for the loss of one of your very close friend.I also lost many close friends due to drug addiction . Its always so sad to watch people who are unable or unwilling to get the gift of recovery.My wife passed away from breast cancer which traveled to other parts of her body. She was the strongest person I ever met.Her last 9 months she was in nonstop pain and in her case I thank god for oxycontin, it took her pain to a level to a point which she still had a life worth living. I hate hearing that another person died from drug abuse. Oxycontin is a drug which brings life back to many people who suffer from chronic pain and most of these people do not abuse this drug and regain a life once lost to 24 hours of pain.These people should get the medication they need. I know in my case, my friend who past away with oxycontin also was drinking, smoking alittle pot and doing some coke ect. As you said you did try to speak with your friend about his problem with addiction but he chose to live his life on his terms.Missy ,I'll pray to my higher power to give you peace that you did love him and you tried to help him with his addiction as I pray that the people who REALLY need these strong medications get them so they to can live the best life they can.I know most drug abuser don't start with oxycontin and the title RE: Oxycontin Claims another victim . Maybe should say , Addiction Claims Another Victim. Missy I hope this make you stronger in your recovery and you live a life which will help a new person in recovery. I hope this does not seem like Im a Jerk for writen this but I have seen a good side of oxycontin when not abused.Missy you and your friend are in my prays. I am very sorry for your loss. LOL Kipa

Old 05-04-2006, 10:07 PM   #6
NightSwan76
(female)

NightSwan76 HB User

I don't think you are a jerk at all and I appreciate what everybody has to say. I believe that even those who are prescribed Oxy for legitimate reasons can fall victim to it. I know a woman who broke her back 8 years ago is still being prescribed Oxy and now her boyfriend is addicted, as well. I do believe drugs like Oxy can give terminally ill patients their life back but it can also suck the life of unsuspecting people right out of them.
If you have never been addicted to it, it is a very difficult disease to understand. It does everything in its power to make you think that it is the only thing worth living, breathing, existing for. It is not just a little pill that makes you feel good and takes the pain away. I could pop a few Vikes or Percs and walk away from it. Once you get into the ritual of seeking, crushing, snorting Oxys it becomes your life. Everything that has meaning to you in the past does not even matter.
I lived(if you can call it living) for 2 years in this on and off mental anguish. I tried to get clean for so long and so many times but it just sucked me back in. I lost everything to Oxy...my life in Connecticut, my finances are a wreck, my health suffered. Now the love of my life is gone.
We can only blame ourselves for things such as this. My beloved Johnny is gone because he refused to stop. Even at 250 lbs...big, muscular guy...the Oxy was too strong for him. I am lucky to be alive right now and I am thanking the Lord for the many opportunities He has given me to change my life. In the depths of my addiction, at a mere 110 lbs, I was taking in 200+mg. I remember one night when I first started abusing, I had done about 160mg and I sat on a friend's couch, turning blue...they contemplated bringing me to the ER...I was nodding out, pinpoint pupils, etc. I walked away and continues to play Russian Roulette with my life.
Now, I know I have to be strong for myself and for Johnny. I want to carry on this message of staying clean and healthy. Maybe I am finding my life's purpose.
Missy

Old 05-05-2006, 06:26 AM   #7
togomo
(female)

togomo HB User

I, too, am truly sorry for your tremendous loss and pray that you find serenity in your time of grieving.
Kipa, I'm too curious not to ask: Why did you end your post with LOL? I just can't seem to figure it out... was it a joke of some sort?
My best to you all,
Tonnie

Old 05-05-2006, 10:48 AM   #8
jkhopeful
(female)

jkhopeful HB User

Missy

So sorry for your loss

Tonnie - I was glad to see your post. How are you? By the way, to many LOL is lots of love instead of Laugh out loud. I'm sure that's what was meant in this case.

Jan

Old 05-05-2006, 01:11 PM   #9
tryinghardmom
(female)

tryinghardmom HB User

Oh Missy.....I'm so sorry. Your heart has to be just hurting beyond words and you feel so far away.

I am so glad you've done so well and soooooo glad that you're out of OC's grip.....and lived to tell....and help others. Hang in there. ((hugs))

Old 05-05-2006, 04:51 PM   #10
sad,mum
Inactive
(female)

sad,mum HB User

my heart goes out to you,take comfort in knowing he knew and you had told him you loved him also in the fact that he will have been totally unaware that he has passed away,no pain,no thoughts,no regrets,grief is i know a terrible thing but let it keep you strong on your road to recovery,so very sorry for you,sad mum

Old 05-05-2006, 08:11 PM   #11
penniedad
(female)

penniedad HB User

very sorry, i lost my husband to drugs so i know how you feel, god bless you ,iam in conn.next to hartford, anything i can do let me know?.........drugs tool of the devil.........

Closed Thread